Fan Fiction ❯ Yumei, My Guardian Angel ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

- Yumei, My Guardian Angel -

By Shimoku

Prologue -

A guardian doesn't have to be an angel. Or a mother. Or a father. It can be anyone. Even someone could consider a rabbit as his or her guardian. But for me, my guardian was a young man hired by my grandfather to take care of me while he was away. And his name was Yumei, a young seventeen year old who accepted my grandfather's offer since the money would help his mother. Yumei was kind in many ways an average person wouldn't be. He was so kind that he could easily be taken advantage of. As for me, I was a small fourteen-year-old boy with dark brown hair and eyes. I was naïve and carefree. My parents had died long ago when I was young so my grandfather had taken care of me since then in Yatsuka, a small town in the outskirts of Japan. My name was Ryu Itsuki.

It was in late October where my grandfather had received a notice from the mail. He was an archaeologist so it was an invitation to a dinner meeting in New York. Apparently, there was some huge archaeological finding and my grandfather's co-workers wanted to share the finding with him by having a special meeting in the United States. They hoped to share it with the whole world and perhaps get rich from it. But it would mean that my grandfather would have to be gone until late January. And I wasn't okay with that.

"Ryu, this could help me find a much better job," my grandfather said. "This could help us make more money and make our lives better."

"I don't want it, Grandpa!" I cried. "I don't want to be alone!"

"You won't be," Grandfather said. "I'll hire someone to take care of you." But I didn't want that. I didn't want someone else to take care of me. I wanted my grandfather. But in life, you can never have the things you want. This was one example of that truth. But that's when Yumei came. And from that moment on, my life had practically changed forever. And this…is where my story begins.