Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Spira's Wake ❯ The Osaka Tournament ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This chapter was hell to write. Why? Because it's the end of the year, hence I had exams and the dreaded packing to do. Lots of stuff to do and not enough time to finish one measly little chapter. Okay so it isn't a little chapter.
 
Disclaimers go here.
 
 
Chapter 13: The Osaka Tournament
 
 
They had decided to use Kaiba's limo seeing as that everyone fit in it. Luckily, the thing still ran and even luckier…Kaiba knew how to drive. Osaka wasn't that far from Domino, about an hour's ride. During the ride, those who were to compete were creating their decks, using Kaiba's metal suit case full of cards. Yunie stared on in wonder at the grinning faces of those around her…What was so special about a card game?
 
“You all…are so cheery.” She finally spoke. “This game is…fun to you?”
 
“Are you kidding? It's awesome!” Jou grinned.
 
“But…didn't you all play this game for your lives at some point?” She asked.
 
“Well…yeah. But dat don't mean we still don't play.” Jou replied.
 
“Have you even heard of Duel monsters, Yunie?” Ryou asked her.
 
Yunie shook her head. “I know it's a card game and all of the things you have told me as a group…but that's about it.”
 
“Playing duel monsters is fun for many people around the world.” Marik told her.
 
“Do you have things to do that are fun, Yunie?” Yugi aske her.
 
“The only thing I have ever done is train for summoning.” She replied. “I guess…I guess that would be considered my fun.”
 
“I'd call dat work.” Jou said.
 
“Well…there IS this game Rikku taught me. It's pretty fun.” Yunie told them.
 
“What kind of game is it?” Honda asked.
 
“Sphere Break.” She replied.
 
“Let me guess…another thing from Spira.” Bakura grunted.
 
“Well…yes…my ancestor played it and won against the champion. The thing that was so wonderful about it, was that she had only learned about it a day before.”
 
“Whoa…and Yuna WON? Wow that's amazing!” Yugi said. “Hey, she's kinda like you Yami!”
 
“Perhaps sometime you can teach us this game.” Yami smiled.
 
“I would be delighted.” She replied with a smile as well.
 
Very soon, they had arrived. The city itself was a hustle of activity; it was hard to drive through the many people walking around. Kaiba finally gave up after a block and ordered everyone out.
 
“Wow!” Yugi exclaimed. “So many people here!”
 
“Aright! First stop registering!” Jou grinned.
 
Ryou turned to Marik, Honda, and Yunie“While we are registering, why don't you three find the Gullwing store Pain was talking about?”
 
Honda nodded. “Sounds like a plan to me. Let's go you guys.”
 
“Wait!” Ryou went deep into his pouch and pulled out money. “Here…Use this.”
 
Honda's eyes widened. “Whoa! That's a butt load of cash Ryou!”
 
Ryou laughed nervously. “Well…Bakura and I…sort of had problems with fiends during the search for Mokuba, Bakura suggested I start stealing money and things. I have some stones and such too.”
 
“Awesome, Ryou!” Jou said.
 
“Try to get some more potions and such. Healing should be first priority.” Yami told the three.
 
“Will do!” Honda mocked saluted.
 
“We'll see you during the tournament.” Marik told them.
 
“Good luck to you all!” Yunie shouted with a smile then followed Marik and Honda out of the crowd.
 
“I'm going to scope out the food, you guys can look for the store.” Honda disappeared into the crowd, which left Yunie and Marik alone.
 
Again.
 
Marik couldn't find words again…sure the first time he was pretty down on himself, but now…he just didn't seem to be able to talk!
When she smiled at him, his heart beat faster. “Come on, Marik. Last one to the Gullwing store is a rotten egg!” It took his mind a moment to register that she had ran away.
 
“Yunie! Hey! Wait up!” He shouted and raced after her through the crowded street. It wouldn't be good for a guardian to lose their charge…especially if there was a mad man after her.
 
He managed to find her by her staff which he figured she held up for him. He managed to follow the staff overhead and pushed himself from the large crowd.
 
“I win!” He turned to find a smiling Yunie. Behind her was a one-story building with a sign that said `store' at the top of a large wooden door.
 
“How do you know this is the Gullwing store?” He asked her.
 
“Because of that.” She pointed to a window where a gull had its wings stretched out as if flying. “Auntie Rikku always told me to look for the flying gull and I would find friends.”
 
“Oh…” he replied dumbly.
 
“Come on!” She took his hand and ran into the store. Inside it looked nothing more than a clothing store with clothing from the fareast. Some came from his homeland…
 
“Wow…these things are beautiful!” Yunie awed.
 
Marik unconsciously turned his head to stare at her. He blushed then quickly turned away.
 
“Uh…yeah…they are.” He replied.
 
“Can I help you two?” A woman walked over to them. She wore a long blue dress and her brown hair was braided back.
 
“Um…yes…is this the Gullwing store?” Marik asked.
 
The woman looked at them then smiled. “I see…The summoner has graced our home…”
 
Yunie blinked in confusion. “You…know me?”
“Well…yes…you ARE carrying the staff of Lady Yuna.”
 
“Oh yeah…” Yunie laughed dumbly.
 
“What can I do for you and please, call me Sahara.” The woman replied.
 
“We're wondering if you could sell us some healing items.” Marik told her.
 
“Ah…this way please.” They followed Sahara into the back of the store behind a blue cloth. Shelves lined every wall and upon each shelf were many strange bottles….some were large while some were the size of his thumb.
 
“So…what kind of healing items do you need, guardian?” Sahara asked.
 
“Well…uh…I guess whatever we can get….” Marik replied.
 
Sahara nodded. “Well, I would suggest ethers and some phoniex downs.” She smiled. “You are in luck, we are holding a special today…”
 
After gathering the things they needed, the two headed for the stadium where the duels were taking place.
 
“Hey guys! Over here!” Honda shouted as he waved at them. They walked over and took their seats. “You missed it…Jou beat Bakura to the ground!”
 
Marik stared at the guy in shock. “You're kidding me…”
 
“Nope, I wouldn't believe either but I saw it with my own eyes!” Honda shouted.
 
Were we really in that store for so long? Marik thought, it didn't seem so long…
 
“Look! Seto and Yami are next!” Yunie said as the two duelist walked out.
 
“Alright…this is one I WANTED to see!” Honda enthusiastically.
 
“Are they rivals?” Yunie asked.
 
“You beat they are! Seto has been wanting to beat him for a LONG time.” Honda replied. “But he's never been able to.”
 
“That's because he goes against the Pharaoh…” Marik replied. “No one has been able to defeat the Pharaoh…”
 
“Well…uh…actually…one guy did. Long story.” Honda said. “Talk later! Watch now!”
 
“Geez…you sound like Jou and that's scary.” Marik said, Honda seemed to ignore him.
 
Meanwhile, down below, Yami and Kaiba took their places on either side of the arena, burrowed duel disks in hand due to the fact that their own were back in Domino.
 
“Finally, I'm going to defeat you this time Pharaoh…” Kaiba hissed.
 
Yami smirked. “You can try again, priest, but I doubt you will…” A loud bell sounded and the two readied their duel disks. Another bell sounded…and the duel began.
 
The audience in the stands were going crazy as the two dueled each other…it was like a stalemate…neither of the two backing down. They dueled like the champs they were and as Yami pulled out his next card…all went to hell.
 
At first it was a loud roar and the audience ignored it, thinking it came from one of the monsters on the field, but when the sky became clouded with monsters, chaos ensued. People raced for the exits as monsters descended upon them from the sky…it took no genius to realize that it was a planned attack.
 
Marik acted quickly as any guardian would. He took Yunie's hand and pushed her to the ground then pulled out his sword.
 
“Stay down.” He told her as Honda got out his spear.
 
“There's too many of them…how the hell are we supposed to fight all of them?” Honda shouted.
 
“We'll stay here…and get any that come our way…I know the others will try to find us…”
 
“Well don't look now but we've got some of them coming!”
 
Meanwhile, in the duelist arena, Yami and Kaiba were back to back, Kaiba's sword was drawn, ready to face the monsters before him, while Yami readied his cards for the ones near him.
 
“A bunch of cards aren't going to save you…” Kaiba snorted.
 
Yami shook his head. “You still do not understand the powers of magic…pity.”
 
“Shut up and just fight.” Kaiba said.
 
“Very well…” He threw a card onto the floor and the battle began.
 
In the alcove where the duelists waited for their turns, Ryou found himself backed into a wall by what looked like a big black bug that made weird scratchy sounds. He didn't know what to do…the last time Bakura was there, fighting with him. Now it seemed he was alone.
 
He remembered that he could steal from the monster, but was that all he could do? Steal stuff?
 
In a panic he pulled something out of the pouch and threw it at the monster then closed his eyes. There was a loud boom sound and a strangled cry then nothing. Ryou opened his eyes and stared in shock…apparently whatever he threw at it, had destroyed the monster, instantly.
 
“Brat!” Ryou turned to find Bakura racing forward.
 
“ `kura? I just…I just got a monster!” Ryou shouted.
 
“What? Impossible!” Bakura grabbed the boy's arm. “Come on brat before we get mauled!” He dragged the boy out of the alcove, not noticing the disappearing lights…Bakura might not have believed him, but Ryou knew he did it…and he hoped he could do it again.
 
In the stands, Marik and Honda faced a large winged creature.
 
“That thing looks like a giant chicken!” Honda shouted. “I don't think we're going to be able to get it!”
 
A ball bounded threw the sky and hit the creature dead on. The creature screeched and headed for its new target…Jou.
 
“Aw man! Watch out!” Honda shouted and raced toward his friend. Jou on the other hand, was racing away from the giant winged creature in a panic.
 
“Stay away ya weird freakin' chicken!” Jou shouted.
 
Marik tried to keep in the laughter that was trying to reach his lips. It was a hilarious sight seeing those two run…
 
“Marik?” He turned to Yunie upon hearing her voice. She was standing and held her staff in front of her body. “Stand back.”
 
Marik nodded and moved away, knowing that she was about to summon.
 
 
Kaiba was thrown into the side of the arena with bone-crushing force.
 
“Kaiba!” Yami raced over. “Kaiba?”
 
“I'm fine dammit but there's too many of them!” Seto shouted. “Behind you!”
 
Yami quickly turned around and was about to throw a card at the incoming monster…with a large fireball fried it to oblivion.
 
“What on earth…?” A loud roar was heard through the many cries of monsters. A large form jumped into the air and landed in front of Yami. The force of the creature's landing was so strong that it caused the old Pharaoh to fall to the ground.
 
It looked more beast than any monster Yami had seen. It stood on high hunches, and had large blue horns sticking out of its head. Its claw-like hands rested on the ground while smoke billowed out of its nostrils.
 
“Ifrit! Use fire NOW!” Came Yunie's shout. The creature roared then patted the ground. Monsters around them burst into flames and disappeared.
 
“Yami! Seto!” They looked up and saw Marik and Yunie jump into the arena. “You guys alright?”
 
Yami nodded and stared at Yunie. “Yunie…is that creature…?”
 
“Yes…” She looked toward the beast who was at the moment picking up Seto. “That…is Mokuba.”
 
The beast walked over and put Seto down then grunted. Yunie nodded in understanding and raised her staff.
 
“Heal our wounds.” She said and a green light appeared around Seto. It disappeared just as quickly.
 
Seto didn't seem to notice the light because his attention was at the creature. Was this creature of fire really be…?
“Mokuba?”
 
His reply was a nuzzle to the face.
 
“Um…guys, we have a lot more monsters to defeat…” Marik said.
 
“Stand back everyone…Ifrit…are you ready?” Yunie asked.
 
The beast nodded and roared to the sky then jumped onto the duelist platform then waited.
 
Yunie raised her staff. “Ifrit! Hellfire!!!”
 
Ifrit roared in understanding. A large ball of fire grew in its mouth; it seemed to be as big as half of the moon. He tossed the fire ball into the sky and it became a pillar of fire. Monsters all over the arena were sucked into the pillar. Ifrit raised its hands and fire appeared there. Ifrit threw the fire into the pillar and just for good measure it seemed, threw a large chunk of earth into the pillar. Moments later the pillar vanished and every monster caught in its fiery depths were thrown to the earth…and destroyed.
 
It took them all a moment to get over the shock of the rather large attack. After it was done, they could have sworn they saw Ifrit grinning as if to say `look what I can do…big brother…”
 
 
I hope I described Ifrit's overdrive okay. I haven't been able to watch it cause I've been so busy. I'll fix it once all of this is over, promise!
 
R&R please!
 
Next time: Yunie and Seto have a heart to heart talk