Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Spira's Wake ❯ Aftermath ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey you guys! Long time no see! I'm SO sorry I haven't been updating every week but it's been hectic over here. A LOT. I have to make sure everything is a-okay at school for fall semester, not to mention take classes this summer too. So yeah I'm one busy little person. But the chapters are coming! Slowly but surely!
 
Disclaimers: Yeah yeah, I own nothing but this story and the original characters
 
Chapter 14: Aftermath
 
They were rather exhausted and a little disappointed at the turn of events that unfolded before them. After the large monster attack on the arena, the tournament had been cancelled, leaving many duelists angry and a little frustrated. But, something good came out of the madness. No matter how much some of them denied it…the summoner group had bonded on the battlefield. It wasn't much, but it was a step in the right direction. But there was just a small problem…
 
Seto still blamed Yunie for Mokuba's death…and now, he blames her for turning Mokuba into the `monster' Seto now calls him. The others knew he would swing over sometime, they hoped it would be soon…it wouldn't do any of them good to have a guardian who didn't want to protect his charge.
 
And if that weren't enough trauma…their transportation had broken down…a monster had blown it up, one of the big, winged ones. Seto had a fit and killed the thing in one blow. That was the moment that all of them, including Bakura, decided to stay away from Seto until he cooled down.
 
Now, they headed toward their next destination using their feet as transportation. The road before them toward the next Aeon seemed very long and winding. Yunie thought it was symbolic, for they were going the path just as Yuna and her guardians had once before…using their own feet. Bakura disagreed.
 
“This is stupid. Let's just steal a car and be done with it!” He barked out.
 
“We're not stealing a car, Bakura.” Marik told him.
 
Bakura glared at the Egyptian. “Who died and made you leader of this stupid group?”
 
Ryou sighed. “Bakura, no one is going to like being helped by a bunch of bandits…Besides, I'm sure you did a lot of walking during your days as a Tomb Robber….I think you can handle this.”
 
“Back then I didn't have a bunch of slow pokes following me.” Bakura grunted while crossing his arms. Everyone ignored him of course…after all, complaining was what Bakura did.
 
They came to a cross roads and decided to take a break there. Half wanted to go one way, while the other wanted to go the other.
 
“Mokuba says to go to the right.” Yunie replied.
 
“Hump…I bet you just said that so we would listen.” Seto said.
 
“Mokuba is rolling his eyes right now.” Yunie said.
 
“Aren't we all…” Yami replied. “If Mokuba says we are to go right. Then right we will go.” He turned to Seto. “One day, Kaiba…you will finally accept all that is happening.”
 
“Yeah right, let's just go.” Seto went to the right ahead of everyone else.
 
“Alright dat's it…” Joey growled. “I'm sick an' tired of his attitude…”
 
“Maybe one of us should talk to him…” Yugi suggested.
 
“I doubt he will listen, Abiou.” Yami replied.
 
“Maybe he will listen when the right person speaks.” Ryou said.
 
Yunie stepped forward. “I think it should be me…Afterall…I am the one he is angry at.”
 
The group nodded in agreement and decided to walk a few paces away so that Yunie and Seto could speak privately. Marik frowned at this…he didn't like the idea of Yunie spending time with Seto Kaiba. What if he lashes out at her with his sword? What if-? He shook his head…the Aeons wouldn't allow anyone to harm Yunie…that including one of her guardians.
 
Yunie had walked ahead of the ground and walked toward Seto. Very soon she was behind him, not saying much at all. She knew he sensed her…either that or he was just too distracted to notice her.
 
“You know…when someone is mad at someone, they should speak their anger at that person.” Yunie's voice shot through the silence between them.
 
“Shut up will you?” Seto barked. “And stay away from me…go play with the idiots back there.”
 
“I can't stay away from you, Seto. You are my guardian…”
 
He stopped, turned around and glared straight at her.
 
“I am NOT guarding the woman who KILLED my brother and turned him into…into that MONSTER!”
 
Yunie stared back with a calm face. “If you feel that way, then why did you not leave after the fighting in the arena? Why do you still walk the path with us, Kaiba?”
 
Seto crossed his arms and continued the walk. “We're just going the same direction. Once we hit the next town, I'm finding a car and leaving.”
 
“You should stop lying to yourself Seto…” He froze. “I can see it in your eyes…” She sighed. “Deep down, there is a part of you that wants to help me and the others reach our goal…it is that part that has been buried deep within your heart for a very long time.”
 
“And just why should I believe you? You sound as crazy as the rest of them! Talking about monsters and magic…it's all ridiculous.”
 
“And yet something ridiculous is needed to save the world…” She replied. “Seto…Everyone has doubts about their selves…especially those who grew up in an environment without love or compassion.”
 
“How the HELL do you--!?”
 
“When I receive an Aeon…I receive their memories of their lives…” She frowned. “What you and your brother went through is completely wrong…I am sorry you had to grow up in such a house with such a father.” Tears started to form in her eyes. “I am sorry that you did not experience a true family…”
 
“I don't want nor need your sympathy…” He said.
 
“But deep down I know you do.” She stared at him. “I can see it, as plain as day…you need someone to feel sorry for you…I will not tell the others this…You have my word as a summoner.” She smiled as she wiped her tears away. “Mokuba says that I shouldn't cry…I should be strong…strong so that you won't have to worry about my or his safety. I promise I will become stronger so that you will be at peace…and if my promise does not work…then you may hit me…”
 
Seto's eyes widened. She was asking him…to hit her? Was she serious!? The back of his mind told him to do it, make the murderer of Mokuba pay. Beat her to the ground or throw her to the next monster that comes…but something was stopping him…why?
 
“Why…” His voice shook a little…why did his voice suddenly stop working? What was wrong with him!? “Why can't I hurt you…?”
 
“Because deep down…you want to protect me…you want to be my guardian…and more importantly, you want to be my friend. And for one reason and one reason alone…” She walked to the front of him, stared straight at him. “I am the link to your brother…what you say, he will hear and I can relay his message back to you. Something inside of you believes that…that is why you can't hurt me.” She stared at him for a moment. “Now, shall we go, guardian? Or do you wish to sit in your prison for all eternity?”
 
Seto stared at her long and hard. This was it…his cross roads. It was funny, Mokuba always told him that there's always a crossroads in ones life…learned it from Yugi and his stupid friends…Seto didn't think the spiky-haired duelist was telling the truth…now he didn't know WHAT to believe. The whole world was changing; he was no longer the billionaire he once was. It was as if someone some where was giving him a second chance in life…but it was a life without Mokuba…sort of.
 
“If I say I believe all of this stuff…don't you dare tell that to the others.” He told her. “If they think I believe in all this crap…”
 
Yunie nodded. “Understood. So…I take it you aren't mad at me?”
 
“I'm still mad…” He turned his back to her and started down the path. “But I think I'll get over it in time. Now hurry up. The sooner we get these Aeon things the better.”
 
Yunie smiled. “As you wish.”
 
 
Next time: The 3rd Aeon