Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Spira's Wake ❯ Man to Man ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay people, here's the good news…new chapter up! I like this one (smiles) now the bad news…this story will have to be put on hiatus for a total of 12 weeks…why? Cause this writer has a major class to do…(frowns.) It's my final class so I have to put my all into it. I will, however, start thinking up future chapters in my spare time (I won't have a computer while I'm away so no new updates…sorry guys) hope to see you guys later…enjoy the chapter!
 
Disclaimers: Yeah, I know jack…well…except the story and original characters…
 
Chapter 18
 
Man to Man
 
“Alright, we split up…” Venus replied. “Meet back here in one hour.”
 
“Marik and I will go to the west.” Yami was the first to speak.
 
“We'll go with the chick.” Bakura grunted. He didn't need to explain…everyone knew he meant Ryou would go with him.
 
“I guess that leaves you and me, Jou.” Honda replied.
 
Jou grinned. “Last one to destroy twenty monsters is a snail!”
 
Honda grinned back. “You're on!” The two friends raced away.
 
Marik didn't know why Yami wanted to go with him of all people. He figured he would go with Jou, leaving Honda with him…
 
“Let's go Marik…” Yami replied and the Egyptian followed.
 
For a time they walked down the dreary street not saying a word. The occasional monster would appear and they would take care of it accordingly.
 
Marik didn't really like the silence…it rather freaked him out actually…having to go hunting with your once king who you betrayed tended to do that to anyone.
 
“Marik…” Yami's voice made Marik stop in his tracks. They were in a park…when did they get here? Guess he was so caught up with his thoughts that he didn't notice.
 
Yami leaned against what was once a wall. “What are you feelings towards Yunie?”
 
The question was so out there that Marik didn't know how to respond. He heard Yami chuckle.
 
“By the redness of your face I would say you take a liking to her.” The age old Pharaoh said.
 
My face is red? “Well…she is rather…” Marik coughed. “Pharaoh…why are we having this conversation?”
 
Yami stared at him then shrugged. “I'm simply curious. And call me Yami, none of that Pharaoh stuff.” He crinkled his nose in dislike. “I get enough of that from the Tomb Robber.”
 
At that Marik laughed…when had he laughed? It seemed ages now…
 
“Seriously…between men…what do you think of our charge?” Yami asked.
 
“Well…” Marik sat upon the ground, his sword lying beside him. “I guess…she's kinda…” He blushed. “Pretty…”
 
Yami raised an eyebrow. “Just pretty? Not gorgeous or beautiful?”
 
Marik sighed. “I just…don't know…Pha ---er---Yami.” He looked up toward the sky. “I've never really thought of women before…I was too busy hitting myself for what I did to you and the others.”
 
“And do you feel like hitting yourself anymore?” Yami asked.
 
“Actually…no…” Marik laughed. “I think Yunie got to me somehow…”
 
“I would quite agree…” Yami looked forward…the scenery didn't look at all pleasant but there was a calmness about it. “Yunie has indeed touched everyone's heart I believe. Including the Tomb Robber.”
 
Marik stared at him in disbelief. “Are you serious?”
 
“Quite so…” Yami replied with a smirk. “When you are as calculating as me, you tend to see things…see patterns of things…”
 
“Wow…” Marik leaned against a rock, brought a knee up with his arm. “I guess this journey is changing us all then…” He looked toward the ancient Pharaoh…the sun was hitting the ancient spirit on the side, shadowing the half that Marik could see…with his stature and grace…he indeed looked like the ruler that he once was ages ago.
 
“I would say it has…”
 
“Yami?”
 
Yami turned to him. “Yes?”
 
“What do YOU think of Yunie?” Marik asked.
 
“Well…no one can replace my Aibou…but…” Yami took a seat on the ground. “Yunie has a strange sense about her…I don't know if it's just the Aeons with in her or her own soul…it draws people together…people who you wouldn't think would ever work together on anything…I admire that aspect of her. That and she is an amazing fighter and has a charming personality…” He smirked. “But I much rather like boys…especially ones that look chibi…”
 
“Too much information…” Marik replied.
 
“Well…you did not answer me fully…” Yami replied. “What are YOUR thoughts on her?”
 
“Well…” Marik closed his eyes. “I don't know what to call it…but…” He opened his eyes. “When I look at her, it's as if something is telling me to protect her…you know…not let her spirit die…” He smiled. “You know, when Seto and Yugi said they would go with her, for a second there, I almost saw red…I think I wanted to pry them both away from her so that I could go with her…”
 
Yami smirked. “I would say that you are her dark, Marik.”
 
Marik sat straight up and stared at Yami with wide eyes. “What?”
 
“That feeling you feel…that over-protectiveness…it is how Bakura and I feel about our lights…” Yami explained. “We want nothing to harm them physically or mentally. It's also called love…” His smirked widened. “And it looks good on you…”
 
Marik blushed. “Wh…what?”
 
Yami stood. “We should be heading back…don't forget what I said…and think about it…think hard…because if you don't think fast, she'll be gone before you know it…”
 
Marik's eyes fell sad. “So it's true huh? She's to die…”
 
“Yes…which is why we should make her final journey memorable…” Yami crossed his arms as Marik stood.
 
Marik picked up his sword. “I'm going to find a way to save her, you know.”
 
Yami stared at the young man before him. “I know…but what if there is no way to stop it?”
 
Marik stared at his sword. “Well…Yugi said that Tidus left instead of Yuna correct? What if I…took her place…?”
 
“A self-sacrifice…why would you want to do that?” Yami prodded. Say it Marik…you might find it to be very wonderful to say…
 
“Because…I…I care for her.” Marik replied. “And I'm not about to let her leave this world…not when she has a full life ahead of her…”
 
Yami walked over to Marik, placed a hand on the young man's shoulder.
 
“Marik my friend…” He said. “Welcome to the world of love…”
He then walked away, heading the direction they came. “We better hurry before the others start to worry.”
Marik stared there for a minute, his eyes wide.
 
Love…? Could I be…? No…but… He looked up to the sky, the shining moon acting as a second sun. Somehow…it feels…right…