Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ache: Pain Of Heart ❯ Silent Comfort ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All characters are property of Squaresoft.
 
 
--
 
 
Silent Comfort
 
 
The beach was a site of carnage. Corpses were strewn everywhere, half-buried in the sand or trapped under debris and bits of rubble. Smoking craters marked the places where the Al Bhed cannons had once been. All of it sickened Yuna, who was looking down on the chaos.
 
 
“The others?” she asked suddenly, fearing for her friends' lives.
 
 
There was a sudden whirring noise as the Al Bhed weapon began to power up. It moved slowly, aiming directly at Sin, and a cloud of energy built up, before being released as a powerful bolt. Yuna prayed hard, watching as the bolt struck Sin's barrier. The barrier remained, beginning to extend as the weapon was powered up again. Just before it released yet another bolt, Sin's barrier struck out and smashed the weapon tower, causing the entire structure to explode.
 
 
Suddenly, the barrier was let down and Sin submerged itself once more in the ocean, before turning and swimming out the bay.
 
 
Horrified, Yuna thought fast, trying to keep herself from crying. “Everyone, stand back! I'll summon!”
 
 
“You won't hurt it.” Seymour called to her. “Your powers are still… too weak.”
 
 
“But I must do something!” she insisted, almost pleading with him.
 
 
He merely shook his head. Summoning was futile, and she would only wear herself out. Heaving a short sigh of determination, Yuna began summoning.
 
 
“You can't!” Seymour called to her again, and finally she relented.
 
 
They regrouped again on the beach, relieved to see that none of them were seriously hurt. Yuna walked off and began sending the fallen soldiers and aiding the weak, while Lulu and Tidus watched on in silence. Eventually, she finished her dance and slowly made her way back over to them. It had been worse than Kilika; it had been a massacre.
 
 
Shivering slightly, Yuna stood and tried to regain some of her composure. She politely made the prayer gesture at Maester Kinoc's retreating back, as he waddled off the beach. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath before opening them again to find Seymour walking towards her.
 
 
“You do not look so well.” He told her gently, gazing at her. “But now more than ever, you must be the people's strength, their confidence.”
 
 
She made a soft sound, as though she was about to cry, and he gave her a sympathetic smile.
 
 
“Anyone else would be expected to show their sorrow.” He continued slowly, walking a little way from her, towards the sea. “But you… are a summoner. You are Spira's hope.” He turned and walked back to her calmly. “Until Sin is defeated, you must not relent. Do you understand?” he stood close to her, watching her tenderly.
 
 
“Yes. I understand.” She assured him.
 
 
“Are you afraid?” he asked her, wondering. She smiled at him, and he decided to risk it. “Yuna, take me as your pillar of strength. As Yunalesca had her lord Zaon.” He allowed his words to sink in, watching the effect they had. She gazed up at him, and he could see the love-light in her eyes, burning brightly. “Lady Yuna. Until next we meet, farewell.”
 
 
He brushed past her and walked up the path to the road. His heart soared in his chest; Lady Yuna had gazed at him in adoration! Perhaps there was more of a chance for them than he'd first thought?
 
 
Back on the beach, Yuna clutched her hands to her heart, trying to still its rapid beating. She'd been sure he could hear it, thumping like a drum. There had been something in his voice that made her feel weak and breathless, and the way he'd smiled… Giggling quietly, she felt herself blush a little. He was a maester of Yevon though, and she was merely a young summoner. What could he ever see in her? She sighed at this thought, a small pang of disappointment running through her. Still, there were always her dreams…
 
 
--
 
 
A/N: Yay! Short chappie! Not really much I could add to this anyway, though I did try but it just didn't seem to fit. I'm sorry if this one seemed a bit too short, but I'll try and make up for it next update, promise.