Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ All That Matters ❯ One Day Without You is Too Much ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
All That Matters

Written By: Cherry6124
Romance/General
Irvine x Selphie pairing


A/N: Hey, I'm back again. Now the fanfic is getting to the good stuff. =P Anyway, I hope you liked the last chapter. Now, for this one!

Disclaimer: Squaresoft owns Final Fantasy 8, and I own nothing. Yep, nothing, nada, zip!


---

Chapter Ten "One Day Without You is Too Much."


"She's not there either." Zell walked into Squall's office.

"Selphie isn't anywhere in the garden Zell." Quistis corrected Zell.

It was the morning after the Autumn Ball. Everyone was upset about Selphie leaving, but no one was more upset then Irvine. He blamed himself for this. He had no sleep the previous night; he kept thinking about her.

"She took the Ragnarok with her guys." Rinoa sat next to Squall.

"So we have to go looking for her on foot, or we could take the train." Squall suggested.

"But, we don't even know where she went." Seifer added.

"I know, but, she might have gone back to Trabia..." Rinoa responded.

"No, that's the first place she knew we would look." Irvine spoke up, he was determined to find her.

Rinoa turned and faced Irvine, "All right cowboy, where is she then?"

"The hell if I know, all I know is I have to find her." Irvine walked over to the window.

"You mean, we have to find her." Rinoa corrected.

Irvine snorted and ignored her. All he had on is mind was one thing, Selphie. He wanted to find her and to fix things between them. He never meant to drive her away, he didn't know she was going to leave. Irvine messed up big time, and he knew it. Now, he was going to find Selphie and tell her the truth; that he loves her.

---

Selphie sat in the pilot seat of the Ragnarok. She changed into her usual yellow dress earlier, and now she was comfortably sitting, enjoying her book. She knew that Squall and everyone would be able to track her down if she was flying the Ragnarok around, so she decided to 'hide' somewhere.

All that was on her mind was Irvine. She wished she could turn back time, but she couldn't. She thought she ruined her relationship with Irvine forever.

Selphie looked out the window, "Looks like I'm here now."

She landed the Ragnarok, grabbed her belongings, and got off of the spaceship. She walked up to the front gate and opened it. It was good to be back to her old home, the orphanage.

Edea's house was rebuilt soon after the defeat of Ultimecia. It looked better then ever now!

Selphie walked up to the front door and knocked a few times. After waiting a few minutes, Selphie thought that Matron might not be home, so she turned around to go back to the Ragnarok.

"Selphie? Is that you?" Selphie turned around and saw Matron standing in the doorway.

"Yep! I didn't think you were home."

"I'm sorry it took me so long, please, come in." Matron, or Edea, walked in the house followed by Selphie.

Selphie's mouth dropped when she saw the fine furnishing of the living room. Matron really out did herself this time.

"Your place looks wonderful!" Selphie placed her bag on the floor and sat on the couch.

"Thank you. Cid bought me most of the stuff. They're so beautiful." Matron sat down next to Selphie.

"You must be lonely staying here by yourself." Selphie blurted out suddenly, but Edea just chuckled.

"Oh no-no-no, I don't mind it at all. Cid visits me as much as he can, and I like the peace and quiet sometimes."

Selphie nodded in agreement, it was nice to have sometime by yourself.

"Why did you come here Selphie?" Edea broke the silence.

"Oh, well it's a long story..." Selphie looked away.

Edea studied the young girl's face, then nodded, "Ah, I see. You wanted to get away from the garden because of a disagreement, right?"

Selphie was astonished. How did Matron know?

"Oh my Hyne! How did you know?!"

"Tisk tisk tisk, did you forget that I am a sorceress? I can read your mind."

Yet again, this astounded Selphie, "Do you mean Rinoa can read minds too?"

"I doubt she knows this ability yet, but I think if she tries hard she can. Now tell me, why are you running?" Edea asked.

"I'm sorry Matron, I don't know what you mean by that." Selphie looked away, completely understanding what she meant.

"You can't fool me Selphie; I know you too well. You're running from your problems. That's not how you are going solve anything." Matron said in a motherly way.

Matron had always been like a mother to Selphie, and to all the children at the orphanage. She knew exactly how to solve everyone's problems, no matter how big or small.

"I know, but, I just can't face him right now. I think he's mad at me." Selphie held back tears, she didn't want to cry.

Matron smiled a bit, she knew her problem dealt with Irvine, "Selphie, he's not mad at you. You just misunderstood him, that's all."

"Can I stay here, just for a few nights. I just want to get it off my mind before I go back." Selphie looked at Matron with puppy dog eyes.

"You are more then welcomed to stay here. The more the merrier, right?"

"Right!" Selphie said cheerfully, and pranced around the house.

---

"Ok, Quistis, Seifer, and Zell, you take Dollet, Deiling, and Trabia. Rinoa, Irvine, and I will take everything else." Squall commanded the group.

Irvine ignored the command, and started walking to the train alone.

"Where are you going, Irvine?" Rinoa chased after Irvine.

"I'm going to find Selphie myself." Irvine kept walking, not turning back.

"Irvine, you aren't doing this alone. We're coming with you." Rinoa grabbed his arm to hold him back.

Irvine shrugged her off, "Rinoa! You can't stop me. I want to find her myself! I was the one who drove her off, not you!"

Rinoa's eyes widened, she had never seen him react this way before.

"She's our friend too, and we want to help." Rinoa looked down, her voice barely audible.

Squall looked on. He glared evilly at Irvine. No one messed with his Rinoa.

"Enough." Squall stepped forward, placing his hand on Rinoa's shoulder.

Irvine didn't say anything, he just looked away.

"Irvine, we want to help you, but if this is the way you want it to be..." Squall stopped.

"This is the way I want it to be! I will go where my heart takes me. You guys just let me go my own way and find her, and you can go yours." With that, Irvine boarded the train, leaving the others behind.

---

Selphie sat in the kitchen of Edea's house watching Matron move gracefully around the kitchen. Selphie read her book; she was really getting into it.

"I read that book when I was younger." Matron sat next to Selphie.

"Oh, did you like it?" Selphie put her book down.

"Yes, I enjoyed it," Matron paused, "Do you remember when you left the orphanage?"

"Um, vaguely." Selphie propped her elbows on the table.

"Irvine was heartbroken. He really missed you."

At the mention of Irvine's name, Selphie's full attention was on Matron, "What happened?"

Matron began, "All right..."


-Flashback-


"It's time to go now, Selphie." Matron took Selphie's hand and began to walk back to the house.

Irvine stayed behind. He watched Selphie walk away from him.

"Irvine, you can come see Selphie off. Come on." Irvine ran up to Matron, taking her other hand.

When they arrived to the front gate, Selphie hid behind Matron. She was scared of the people who were going to take her.

"Hello Selphie, we're the ones who are going to take you to Trabia. You're going to have so much fun there." The female said.

"Yes, you will love it there." The male gave Selphie a warm smile.

Selphie turned around a saw her friends there, Squall, Quistis, Zell, Seifer, and Irvine.

"Buh bye everyone. I'm gonna miss you." Selphie took the female's hand.

The male person had Selphie's stuff.

"Write to us ok Selphie!" Quistis yelled.

"I don't know how to write yet, but I'll write to you when I learn." Selphie waved back and disappeared with the two Trabia people.

Everyone wiped tears from their eyes, but moved on, and went inside.

The next morning, everything seemed back to normal, well, sort of.

*Knock Knock Knock*

Irvine rolled over in his bed.

"Irvine, you can't sleep all day! Get up!" Matron opened the door, and walked in.

"What's the use of getting up if Sefie isn't here?" Irvine covered his head with a pillow.

"Irvine... You have to move on, you'll see her again, someday."

"You don't know that for sure. I want Sefie." Irvine sniffled, trying to hold back his tears.

Matron understood that Irvine was depressed, but she didn't know what to do.

"I bet, she'll be there, waiting for me. We promised that we'll meet there if we ever lose each other." Irvine mumbled to himself.

"What in Hyne's earth are you talking about?" Matron looked at him confused.

Irvine got out of his bed, and put some clothes on. He dashed by Matron and left the room.

While he ran through the playroom, he ran into Quistis.

"Hey, watch it, Irvine." Quistis got back up on her feet.

"Sorry, but I need to go." Irvine wiped off the dust on him.

"Go where?" Quistis tilted her head to one side.

"I'm going to find Sefie."

"Oh no, not another Squall," Quistis slapped herself on the forehead, "You know, she's at that place called Trabia. You have to go all the way there to get her. Matron won't let you."

"I'm not going to Trabia. I'm going to our secret place." Little Irvine stuck his tongue out at Quisty.

"I'm gonna tell Matron on yoooo!" Quisty yelled, but Irvine didn't care, he just kept running.

Irvine ran all the way to the flower field, and then ran some more until he reached the lone tree. He looked around, but there was no Selphie.

"Maybe she isn't here yet." Irvine tried to convince himself, but it didn't work, he knew she wasn't coming back.

Irvine started to cry. He wanted his Sefie to come back. Why did she have to go? There was nothing he could do about it. All he could do was cry, and pray that she would come back to him.

"Irvine, there you are. Now, please come back to the house." Matron walked up, and knelled next to him.

"She's gone, isn't she?" Irvine wiped his tears away.

Matron nodded, "You will be with her again, someday. Now, let's get back to the house. You have to move on now. Everyone's going to be leaving the orphanage sooner or later."

Irvine understood, and got up and walked back to the house with Matron.


-End of Flashback-


"I didn't know he reacted that way when I left."

"Yes, he missed you so much. It took him a long time to move on after you left," Matron looked at the clock, "it's getting late, you should go to bed now."

Selphie nodded, and hugged Matron, "Good night."

Selphie walked up the stairs and into the room she was staying in. She grabbed her pajamas out of her bag, and put them on. She got into the bed.

"Maybe, I am running." Selphie murmured to herself, and fell asleep.

---

Irvine sat in the SeeD cabin on the train. He was tired, but he didn't care. All he cared about was finding Selphie. He looked out the window and remembered how much Selphie loves trains. He pictured her singing the train song in the hallway outside the cabin. The train was going to depart shortly, so Irvine needed to stay awake.

"One day without Selphie is too much. I need to find her." Irvine gazed up at the stars, and hoped maybe Selphie was looking at the same stars with him.


To be Continued...

---

A/N: So, how did you like it? Yes, this story will have a happy ending ok. I'm thinking of what will be in the next chapter. I think the next chapter might be my last one, I don't know yet. Thanks for all the reviews guys. Bye.

Ugh! I wish I started writing this fanfic in first person POV. I really wish I had. I write better that way, or that's what I think. I keep writing in first person POV, then I have to go back and correct it! It's so frustrating! Next time when I start a new fanfic like this, I am going to write in first person POV, I won't make the same mistake twice.

-Cherry6124-