Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Kiss ❯ Cloak ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Stupid me, I've been forgetting the disclaimers, but we all know that Squaresoft owns everything Final Fantasy... 'cept for this story of MINE. Heh heh. And I'm liking this 'one-word chapter title' thingie... *sweatdrop*

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


She stood outside the closed door, hesitant of her next action since she was there. The inn wasn't busy with the few travelers around the winter time, so she had nothing to do but wander about, and when she did, her feet just took her to the stranger's room. She could just drop in and see how he was doing during the past days. She had brought his meal to him every other time, but they only exchanged a few words--she was still shy on her part, and he wasn't much of a conversationalist.

She sighed and leaned against the door to listen for any sounds indicating that he was awake. The room seemed silent, like no one ever had occuppied the place, but she continued to strain her ear against the door, concentrating very hard on any movements. Perhaps she was there was because she was worried about him, as a guest in their inn, since he remained in his room ever since he had arrived there. Besides the few words, it was apparent he was trying to avoid people, but she couldn't understand how a person could just isolate himself from the rest of the world. It was just a sad, lonely thought. But then again, she didn't know anything about him, but his name.

She pulled back and wondered if she should knock because it was just too quiet. She couldn't even make out his breathing in the quietness, and it scared her that something might've happened to him. Frightened, she rapped on the door gently, not too loud to disturb him and not to soft to be part of the imagination. No answer came to her, so she bravely grasped the doorknob and turned it slowly and quietly, like a thief breaking into a room.


~ An Aeris & Vincent Romance Story ~

Crimson Kiss

written by K-chan


Chapter Two: Cloak


With just a small opening to fit her head, Aeris peered in and saw his form snuggled deep into the covers. "Mr. Valentine?" she whispered nervously, partly hoping that he wouldn't respond. And thank goodness he didn't, which allowed further entrance into the room to study the man. She held her breath as she shut the door quietly after she completely stepped inside. She glanced back to him and found him still deep in his slumber, and then her eyes trailed over to the table, where the empty glass and medicine laid.

She remained in her spot by the door, looking about the room like it was foreign territory, but she finally moved towards the foot of the bed, tilting her head curiously at the man appearing restless in his sleep. She looked down at the wooden end of the bed, where a red cloak draped over the side, and brushed her fingers over the cloth, admiring its cool, smooth texture. She picked it up and held it against her face as her eyes roamed over the item. There were patches of dark red along the inner linings, that her mother must have overlooked. Upon closer inspection, she concluded that it was blood and decided to clean it for him.

The sudden coughing startled her as she clutched his cloak to her chest. She stared at him worriedly while he painfully coughed, but he didn't seemed conscious of it, nor of her presence in the room. She stood still and helplessly watched him twist and turn in the bed. Between the fits of coughing, he managed to call out a woman's name in desperation, like she was his last life line. He seemed to be suffering more from his emotions than his physical stress, and it pained Aeris to see him or anyone like that, holding onto the past with such intensity. She quickly dashed for the half-empty pitch of water and poured it into the glass, having forgotten the cloak in her hand and that she wasn't supposed to be in his room unannounced.

With a glass of water in hand, she turned around to see his aches had faded away, but the tension on his face was something far beyond her visible grasp. She placed the glass back onto the table and went to stand by the beside, knowing there was nothing she could do for him to ease his internal suffering, whatever it was. She took a cloth from the basin on the small stand and dipped it in the cool water. She wrung the excess water out and then over Vincent, brushing his dark bangs from his face. So close to him, she took this opportunity to observe his features as her finger gently caressed the side of his face. His skin was so warm, yet he was clinging tightly onto the covers. When she laid her hand on his forehead, it burned warmer than the normal temperature. He probably came down with a fever, so she quickly placed the wet cloth on his forehead and watched him a little bit longer.

Aeris had to inform her mother of his condition before it could get any worse, so with the red cloak, she quietly retreated from the room, but with one last glance at the poor man trapped in his own nightmare.


That evening, Vincent sat up in bed, feeling hot all of a sudden. He leaned forward, holding onto his head as if he could drop unconscious for no reason at all. He looked around the room like it was unfamiliar to him, but he had stayed there for at least a week already, not once stepped out of his room. It was nice to be alone, but he knew he was a burden to his host family. And as much as he wanted to leave, his body just wouldn't let him. He was in such a weak, vulnerable state that if his enemies were to find him, it would be the end of him, and not to mention the family that cared for him.

Thinking of which, there was a knock on the door, and then immediately after that, Ifalna let herself into the room, having sensed that the young guest was awake. She carried a tray with his dinner and medicine inside and placed it on the table. "How do you feel, Mr. Valentine?" she asked mother-like.

"I'm... doing fine," he lied, getting out of bed to prove himself, but she already knew from what Aeris had told her. "And please, just Vincent."

"Men," she snorted playfully as she prepared the medicine for him, "what are you trying to prove by being so tough? Don't you know nothing pass by us women?" She looked at him and handed him the medicine and then glass of water. "Aeris told me you weren't feeling well, and since we were out in the snow for who knows how long, you must've caught the cold or flu." She watched him severely as he drank it all down, and she smiled, "Now don't be shy and eat everything up. I have to make a quick trek to the neighbors, but Aeris will be here if you need anything." She bid him a good dinner before leaving.

Vincent just sat on the edge of the bed, letting the medicine did its work for a bit, while he stared out the window at the darkening skies. He could see the white flakes plattering against the window pane and thought how it must be winter year-round for Snowy Village (hence the name too). The season was so desolate, but he couldn't deny there was some sort of uniqueness and beauty in the emptiness. Perhaps it was because it reminded him of himself...

So alone, so empty and meaningless... That was his present, but what of his future?

He stood up and walked over to the window, still gazing at the falling snow. He raised his right hand and pressed his fingers against the cool surface of glass.

So what of his future? He was nothing; he had nothing... only the kindness of strangers, that he would never be able to repay the debt. Just a few more days, and then he would be off again, but there was no place for a coward like him, a monster like him. Maybe it would've been best if he had just died out there in the snow. That way he wouldn't have to endure the painful memories. No one would care; no one would miss him, not even Lucrecia.

At the thought of her, his hand tightened into a fist as he leaned his forehead against the window, closing his eyes to push away all thoughts of her--so many bitter, sweet memories of her, with her. He should hate her, despise her for what she had done to him, but he just couldn't. He couldn't even bring himself to hate her! How could he hate the woman that he gave all his heart to? They called him a fool, but he didn't care. When you're in love, nothing mattered, not even his life. And if she were to kill him, he wouldn't regret a damn thing.

"Mr. Valentine?" came a nervous voice. He turned around and saw Aeris standing in the doorway. She entered the room hesitantly, holding the neatly folded cloak in her arms, and stood a few meters from him. She peered up at him like a shy, little bunny, but he was indifferent to her presence. "Umm, I hope you're feeling better," she said. He nodded, and then silence fell over them again. She held the clean cloak out to him, "It was dirty, so I washed it for you. I used warm water, so the fabric won't get ruin. And all the blood stains should be gone--I made certain they were..." When she realized she had spoken too much, her voice trailed away, and she looked elsewhere in embarrassment.

He accepted his item back, but inwardly, he was surprised at her effort in such a minor thing. He was about to say something, but she had noticed he hadn't eaten yet, "Oh I'm so sorry! Did I interrupt your dinner?"

"No, I wasn't quite hungry yet," he said, "And thank you for the cloak."

"It's okay. I'm glad I could be useful to you," she smiled, putting her hands behind her back, and clasped them together. "And I do hope you get better soon! It never feels great stuck in bed with a cold. And when you're better, you can finally come outside. It's really beautiful, and I can show around the village."

He looked out the window again and said quietly, "Snowy Village..." She tilted her head to the side in curiosity, staring at his profile. There was something so beautiful about his ruby eyes. That faraway look that mesmerized her, and she felt herself breathless.


TO BE CONTINUED...

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Thank you for the reviews!!! Because of the lack of AerVin ficcies, I'm writing this piece. I don't know where it's gonna take me yet... And to Sprinkles-san, feel free to post this story on your site!! Please send me the URL too 'cause I would love to visit your site!! Thank you!!

Oh yes, ... Beneath the Snow Fields was my very first AerVin that I so loved!! It got me into liking the couple!! But really, it just hit my that my story also is in a snowy setting!!! I know it won't be up to par with such a classic piece, but I will do my best to entertain you!!! Oh check out my li'l AerVin drawing: << http://w2.oekakies.com/p/hineko/p.cgi >>.

As for Innocent Seduction and other stories, I DO want to continue them but I tend to have a short attention span... *bigger sweatdrop* And plus I have so many things going on, I can't keep my thoughts focused on just one thing. And you wouldn't believe how picky I am with my writing! I seriously have to go back through each story and edit them one day... But what I want most to get out next is RoT... =6.6=