Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Kiss ❯ Parting ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Yes yes, Squaresoft owns everything Final Fantasy... Now the story.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Feeling much better now, he threw the red cloak over his shoulders and secured it in place before putting on his black gloves. He brushed his hand through his thick, dark hair and stared out the window at the afternoon scene. The past week had been peaceful for him, partly because his host family were very kind in allowing him silence and privacy. And it was surprising how open Aeris became ever since she returned the cloak to him. She would bring his meals to him and keep him company by telling him little things around Snowy Village. He didn't mind it at all since it kept him from drowning himself in his painful thoughts, but now it was time for him to severe their ties.

He walked to the door and grasped the doorknob. He paused, like he sensed someone on the other side. Of course after years of torment and experimentation, he acquired inhuman abilities, like a sixth sense--but more in the lines of an animal's heightened senses. In ways, they were useful, but they only reminded him of how abnormal he was and how he would never become normal for as long as he lived.

The aura beyond the wooden door was familiar, and he felt the nervousness penetrating to him. He opened it and was faced with a flustered Aeris with her hand raised to the door. She stared at him with her wide, green eyes, apparently surprised to see him answer the door before she even knocked. In her hand, she clutched onto a small, floral-wrapped package. "Umm, hi," she said nervously.


~ An Aeris & Vincent Romance Story ~

Crimson Kiss

written by K-chan


Chapter Three: Parting


"Hi," he responded, staring at her, "Is there something I can do for you?"

"Oh umm... no... I mean, well... Were you about to go outside?"

He nodded, "Perhaps you can tell me where I can get a chocobo."

"Chocobo?" she repeated with a confused look. Her hand unknowingly gripped the package. "A-are you leaving?"

"Yes. I can't burden your family any longer."

"But you're not!" she hastily gripped it his arm, as if he would disappear any second. She looked down at the ground sadly while his eyes stared at her, wondering why she was making such a big deal of his leave when they had no ties to each other. They were just strangers crossing paths with one another on their journey in life, and like all strangers on that journey, parting would eventually come.

Aeris knew the day would come when he would leave, but she tried not to think about it because it was just to painful to say good-byes. She had encountered many travelers during her lifetime at her family's inn and had many partings with new friends, but strangely, this one with the ruby-eyed man was different. She could feel the tears brimming at the edge, so she quickly shove the package into his hands and ran away down the hall.

Vincent stared wide-eyed at her retreating form, recalling her image a few seconds ago with the moistness in her eyes, but he couldn't figure out why she was reacting like there was something more between them. He then looked at the item in his metal hand and tightened his grip around it. He had no idea what it was, but it was squeezable, falling under the pressure of his inhuman fingers. He decided not to open it and tucked it within his cloak and proceeded down the hallway.


Aeris remained in her bedroom for most of the day, just lying on her bed with her head against the pillow, but her thoughts were continuously of the dark-haired stranger. When she saw him at the door, all dressed and ready for the outdoors, she was so happily that he was finally going out instead of staying in the unhealthy room, but the news of him actually leaving the village permanently just ripped her apart. She could tell he was going to some place faraway and would never return to a small village in the middle of endless snow.

She would never see him again.

And she cried harder, burying her sobs into the pillow.


Vincent stepped out of a little repair shoppe and was on his way back to the inn. Earlier that day, he was able to find the chocobo stable with the directions from Ifalna, but he didn't have enough money to purchase the creature, even if the kind owner had lower the price. Luckily, the man directed him to the repair shoppe where help was wanted. In a few days of work, he should be able to pay off his debt at the inn and purchase the chocobo and supplies for travel.

Travel... He had roamed the Planet for so long, and once again, he would take up that kind of wandering life. Wandering... How could he call it that, when his life was being pursued by his enemies? He had been used to that lifestyle, yet it wasn't what he wanted. But what he wanted had always involved Lucrecia, spending the rest of his life with her. Even if she belonged to another man, he would just be content in seeing her for however long he lived.

But that was all before he knew of the betrayals.

And now, did he still want that feeling? Of loving another and being loved? Of course, he did. He was only human... Or used to be human, but who would love him now that he was no longer one. No longer man, neither beast... He was just the result of mortals' foolishness at playing God... A being who had lost his soul long ago. His humanity was gone, and so was his emotions.

The inn was in his sight, but he didn't go any farther. He stopped in his tracks and noticed a clear alley way that seemed to scream out to him to enter. He narrowed his eyes as if accessing the situation, but there didn't seem to be any dangers, so he stepped into the alley and followed its path that took him to an open field of glistening snow. Trees covered in the whiteness sprinkled the outer edges like one of those paintings one would see in some fancy hotels.

Vincent walked farther into the fields and scanned the area, letting the serenity overwhelm him. He had never been so calm before, but here he was, standing among desolation, finding comfort in it. He turned to his right side and found some boulders. He decided to sit there for a bit and let the place soothe his mind. He closed his eyes, and the coldness and silence seemed to seep into his body and strangely relaxed him.

He straighten himself on the rock for a more comfortable position, but then the crinkling of paper alerted him to the package that he had put away earlier that day. He took Aeris's present out and stared at it, debating whether he should open it or not. She did give it to him, but it didn't seem to be right because she didn't say a word to him about it and it was like she had thrown it in his face after being deeply hurt. Since then, he wasn't able to speak to her, and even now, he wasn't sure if he should. He had never been so confused in his life like now.

But she had been at his bedroom door to give it to him, for some reason. Slightly curious as to what the item was, he decided to open it up. After untying the red ribbon, he unwrapped the item to find a red scarf. At least it did resemble one, being handmade at that because of the uneven knitting and its shortness. Still, it was the most kindest thing anyone has ever done for him, and he should at least be grateful. But what could he do with the short scarf when his cloak had already suited his need.

He brushed a hand through his loose hair as he stared at the item in his hand. Then he sighed, leaning back to look up at the darkening skies.


Ifalna looked up at the stairs and saw her daughter coming down. She smiled, quite relieved that Aeris had finally left her room. It was just too strange seeing her locked up in the room when she was always so filled with energy that had to be loose out in the village. She didn't bother the girl because if it was something she wanted to share, then she would have. And even if she didn't want to tell anyone, Aeris was the type to eventually solve her own problems.

And apparently, she did from her calm expression, but the sadness in the sparkling green couldn't be hidden from a mother's eyes. Ifalna didn't say anything but just told her, "Dinner's about ready, sweetie. Why don't you set the table? I'm sure Mr. Valentine will be joining us down here too." Aeris paused with a brief surprised look before she nodded and stalked off to the kitchen. The woman brushed the strangeness aside and turned her attention back to the inn's account book, but it was just minutes later that Vincent entered the inn. She greeted him but openly stared at the man, blinking at the head accessory she recalled never seeing before. She concluded he must have purchased it during his outing, but she had to admit the red band was a nice touch to his handsome appearance, keeping most of his bangs from his beautiful eyes, and the way the loose ones just fell over them was very attractive.

"Oh Vincent!" she suddenly chirped after snapping out of her thoughts, "We're about to have dinner soon, and we would be so happy if you could join us!!"

"If it's not a disturbance to your family."

"No no no!" she said hastily, "Why, you're practically family! But I'm sure you'd like some time to yourself before then. I'll have Aeris call you when it's ready."

"Thank you," he nodded and began to head for the stairs, but he stopped and looked at her, "Could you tell me where Aeris is? I would just like to thank her for her gift."

Ifalna blinked at him after hearing the two sentences. "She's in the kitchen." He thanked her again, and instead of going upstairs, he went towards the back of the inn. She watched him until he was gone and wondered what was going on between them. When her eyes caught the account book, she panicked at the ink leaking from the pen, causing a black blotch on the numbers.


Aeris placed the plates on the counter and closed the cabinent door. After getting the utensils, she walked over to the stoved and turned the temperature down just enough to keep the food warm. She made sure the rest of the dishes were ready and was too absorb in her chore that she didn't hear the footsteps heading her way. It was his voice that surprised her, "Aeris?" The spoon fell from her grasp onto the floor as she whirled her head to see him--not exactly him, but the red scarf/band around his head that kept his hair from falling messily over his eyes. That strange feeling of pure joy enveloped her heart as she stood there, staring at him. The girl was just speechless, staring at the handsome man before her.

He slowly stepped farther into the kitchen like it was foreign territory to him, but he could see her green eyes sparkling with life again. And seeing that, it made his heart feel lighter than before, but he went straight to the point, "Thank for the gift."

"Oh!" She seemed to snap out of her trance and turned away to pick up the fallen spoon. "It's nothing, really. I... I was just passing the time, so it wasn't any trouble," she lied, hiding the truth of the past nights she stayed up to work hard on the scarf. Even though it didn't look close to the perfect ones her mother made, it was decent enough for a beginner like her, and she was very proud of her accomplishments. "But... I'm really happy you like it," she blushed, thanking the gods that her back was to him so he couldn't see her.

The awkward silence fell over them again, which allowed Aeris to recall what had happened between them earlier that day. She bit her bottom lip lightly and then released it with a sigh. She couldn't allow her selfishness to make others uncomfortable. This was what she realized, sorting out her thoughts and feelings that day. She turned around to him and apologized, "I'm sorry for what happened this afternoon. I... I just get emotional when travelers tell me they're leaving... especially those I've come to know. Parting is a sad thing..."

"Yes, it is sad," he said, "but it is also inevitable."


TO BE CONTINUED...

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

You what I realized? I should change the title of the story! It's going SO slow, that I don't think it'll reach that kiss any time soon!! What do you think the title should be?? You can leave it in your reviews or email it directly to me. Thanks!!

Oh and please check out My Funny TURK!!! It's my new AeReno storry!! =^-^=