Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Kiss ❯ Lost ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The usual disclaimers, blah.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


'... also inevitable...'

His last words to her in private repeated endlessly in her head. She could even hear the deepest of his voice echo in her ears, and the hot breath that burned against her skin as if he had whispered them just to her. She stared wide-eyed into his beautiful, ruby ones like the temptation of darkness. The touch of his fingers upon her rosy cheeks, draining the warmth from her body, but she didn't care. She yearned for the coolness that sent her emotions into a chaotic storm, just something she never experienced before until he appeared in her life.

Her lips trembled, and the glass shattered.

"Aeris!" her mother called to the dazed girl. "Be more careful," she warned, kneeling down to pick up the broken glass that had slipped through her grasp. Aeris just stood there, watching her mother, but her eyes seemed to be staring right through her, at something beyond any human eye.

"Oh shoot!" the woman cursed, having carelessly cut her hand on the broken shard. The blood broke through the thin tear of skin, accumulating by the second as she pressed her fingers to her palm to stop the bleeding, but it still seeped through the cracks of her fist. Aeris remained still and speechless with her green eyes glazed over at the crimson liquid. Her head felt faint as the image of blood splattered in her vision. She could see no other colors, just those ruby eyes staring back at her. So much sorrow, so much pain. All drowning in his bloody hands.

Her eyes rolled up into her head, and she collapsed on the floor.

"AERIS?!!"


~ An Aeris & Vincent Romance Story ~

Crimson Kiss

written by K-chan


Chapter Four: Lost


A faint sound drifted in the distance, but she couldn't make out its origins because it appeared to be all around her, becoming louder like the rhythmic beating of her own heart. Her hand listened to the melody softly pounding against her chest, so steady and calm like watching the waves rolling onto shore. But slowly with every beat, it began to ache, an unbearable feeling like someone squeezing her heart. Then she began to shake, and a voice kept calling her...

'Aeris! Wake up!! Please wake up!'

The voice continued as she struggled between the levels of consciousness, and when reality won her over, it was her mother's soothing voice that eased her spirit. "Mother?" she whispered hoarsely. Her eyes, half-closed, looked around the room, nothing the familiarity of it as her own. She tried to sit up, but Ifalna forced her daughter back into bed.

"Aeris-sweetie, stay in bed. You're not feeling well, and you shouldn't strain your body any further."

"Bu-but lunch. I have to bring Mr. Valentine his lunch!" she protested.

"It's all right, sweetie. I had someone do that for you already."

"Mother! No! Why?" she cried, throwing the covers aside, and pushed herself from the bed.

Stunned at the girl's sudden outburst, Ifalna stared wide-eyed at she staggered a few feet from the bed and fell down. She helped her daughter up and put her forcefully into bed without another complaint. "Aeris, I don't know what has gotten into you, but you are not to step out of this room until your temperature is down. I will LOCK you in here if you continue to protest." Aeris only replied with a small nod, only because she wouldn't be able to see Vincent if she was a prisoner of her own room.


A pair of silent eyes watched from the darkness, staring at the girl's restless profile surrendering to her mother's orders. It was a family affair, and he had nothing to do with it, but he was partly responsible for her health diminishing. He looked down at his golden hand clutching a pink ribbon and then tucked it inside his cloak, removing himself from the scene swiftly. His boots treaded soundlessly over the wooden floor boards until he reached his room. He closed the door and head straight to the table to pour himself a glass of water. He took a small sip, staring out the window as it became a habit ever since he stayed there. Nothing was in his mind, so peaceful like the emptiness of that laid in the messengers of winter.

He watched the crystalline petals drift through the somber skies and as they hit the window panel, they melted at the warmth radiating from inside the building and became droplets of water, sliding down the glass until they would reach their end, falling back to the earth. The life of a single snowflake was as fragile as the human spirit/soul, in a cycle of an ever-changing world--from water gathered as vapors to become a fallen twinkle of ice... and a touch of warmth from the earth brought the bitter tears flowing back to its origins. At least it was able to return to its original form, something Vincent could never grasp and hold onto... Perhaps he had just lost his way, straying off the path like a curious child...

But would he ever be able to return to that path?

He closed his eyes and looked away, sighing inwardly. When his eyes slowly opened again, he found himself staring at his reflection in the glass of water. His jaw tightened as he gripped the glass firmly in his metal hand, with eyes boring through his image. In just seconds, the glass shattered, letting the water splatter against his face and clothing. His hand was in a tight fist, clenching onto the remaining glass, while the liquid dripped to the floor where the clear shards were scattered...

'Broken.'

A broken glass that no longer had a use.

'Lost.'

Lost pieces never to be found again.

'Impossible...'

To mend something broken, with too many lost pieces...


She opened her eyes slowly, and her vision blurred at first but soon focused on the ceiling. Her head was still in a dazed, throbbing steadily, but she didn't mind. She looked around her room like it was unfamiliar territory and realized that it was very dim. The last thing she remember was hearing her mother's voice, scolding her for her carelessness in such cold weather, but everything else... She must've fallen asleep in her weak state. She glanced to the side, where the window was, and saw that the skies had indeed darkened to evening. She had slept the whole day then. She pulled the covers up to her chin, sighing. She had a good rest though, and a dream... A dream that she remembered quite clearly.

Some place where the flowers bloomed vibrantly beneath the warm sun, she stood quietly, absorbing the serene setting. The gentleness of the breeze embraced her while a faint melody from afar danced to her ears. The fragrance of the many flowers began to overwhelm her, causing a slight diziness in her head. She sat down and closed her eyes to rest, but when she opened them again, she saw a familiar figure in the distance standing in the field of flowers.

'Vincent!' she called, reaching her hand out to him. He turned around to her but remained where he was, just staring into her green eyes. Mesmerized by his own crimson ones, she couldn't speak another word, but something in his eyes just made her get up and run to him. Her tears flowed freely as she fell into his arms, and she embraced him, burying her head against his chest, while his arms stayed by his side. She pleaded to him not to leave, but he never answered her. She then pulled back a bit and lifted her eyes up to his face with tears rolling down her cheeks. His hand touched her face, and his lips parted, speaking silently...

"Aeris..."

She blinked and turned to the voice, who was her mother hovering over her with a worried expression. "Are you feeling better, sweetie?" Ifalna asked, and she nodded in reply. "It's almost dinner time, but I'll bring up your meal to you... Just as soon as your father gets back..."

Aeris noticed the wavering of uncertainty in her voice and sat up, "What's wrong, mother? Did something happened?"

The woman hesitated a bit, but she knew if she didn't tell her then it would only worry her even more. "Your father and some of the other men were out hunting and getting firewood, but... there was an avalanche. I'm sure they'll be all right. Mr. Valentine volunteered to find them with the some of the villagers." Her chest suddenly felt heavy at the news, and her head was so light and hazy, like she was drifting between consciousness. Her mother noticed and laid her down, "Your father will be fine, Aeris."

She knew her father would be okay since they've had avalanches before, but there was something tugging at her heart when Vincent was mentioned. She didn't know why she felt like her body was sinking deep into thick water. It was hard to breathe, and she couldn't think straight, but luckily her mother left her peacefully though she couldn't find any moment's rest with both her father and Vincent out in the cold weather. But all she could do was pray for their safe return.

An hour passed by as she hugged the pillow with eyes half-closed. Her room was so quiet, and even the inn, but it was perfect as she waited for any sound that indicated her prayers were answered. Tired, she continued to quietly pray, and when the screeching of a door opened, she immediately sat up in bed. She heard her mother's happy voice and hurried out of the bed, forgetting to grab her robe. She staggered out of the room and down the hallway until she reached the stairway. A little unfocused, she was able to see her father being supported by Vincent and her mother and smiled, "Father!"

The three of them looked up and saw Aeris slowly clutching the rail for dear life as she came down. Her hair was dishevel from her sleep, but to Vincent, she appeared like an angel in her pink gown, descending from above like a blessing. "Aeris!" Ifalna scolded, "You shouldn't be out of bed." Aeris managed to come down the stairway safely and fell into her father's arm, embracing him happily, as Vincent released the man to hold his daughter. Gast had a few scratches and bruises and a sprained ankle, but overall, he was all right, and so was Vincent.

Aeris peeked up from her father's embrace and looked at Vincent with tears at the brim of her eyes, making the pair sparkle with beautiful innocence. 'Thank you', she mouthed, having lost her voice to the happy event, but there was something more to those two words. The way her eyes shone brightly at him, it had a deeper meaning, but he didn't know what she meant.

'Thank you... Thank you for coming back...'


TO BE CONTINUED...

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Umm, sorrie 'bout the chapter's strange ending... [crosses her arm, thinking] This chapter was supposed to be entitled "Home", about Aeris getting Vincent to stay, but... Uugh, I'm an idiot! I guess that'll be the next chapter then. *sigh* I have a question from you guys: What do YOU feel/think when you read about Aeris's and/or Vincent's thoughts and feelings? I'm trying to write some drama, but it's SO hard!!!!!! I think I can only write something dramatic when I'm depressed!!!! Aaargh!!! =T.T=