Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 15 - Recovery and Doubt ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I am not rich like the owner of Squaresoft, who rightfully owns the following characters used in this fanfic.

Author's Note: Tori, this is the chapter you have been waiting for. Hehe, let the fun begin! By the way, there is a dream sequence in this one, and it will be signified by several of these : " ~ " in a row. You'll see what I mean.

Chapter 15 - Recovery and Doubt

Sephiroth's eyes fluttered open and he stared blankly above him. He had expected to once again awaken to the pulsing green glow of the lifestream around him, but instead he found himself staring at a wooden ceiling and laying in a warm bed.

Slowly, he raised his hand beneath the covers and brought it to his naked chest. He ran his fingers along his skin before his eyes widened and he suddenly sat upright. He stared down at his flesh in disbelief.

~ My wound!? There is no wound!? How!? ~

A wave of dizziness flowed through him and he fell back onto his pillow. He barely had time to suddenly think of Aeris before sleep took him.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Sephiroth," Aeris whispered sadly.

Sephiroth gazed down at her.

"Please don't leave me, Sephy."

Sephiroth smiled and wrapped his arms around her.

"I have to go. Please understand."

"But if the Planet is in danger, Cloud and the others can handle it and we can help them from here."

"We have no guarantee that Cloud and your friends are still alive. I have to go. It is my fate."

Aeris' eyes fell downward and Sephiroth saw a tear fall from her face.

"Sephiroth, I don't want to lose you."

Sephiroth placed a gentle finger beneath her chin and lifted her face to meet her eyes.

"You won't. Ever. I promise."

Aeris smiled. "I trust you will remember me." She held tight to his hand as he stepped away from her. Bright green light enfolded his body and his image slowly began to fade. Tears streamed down Aeris' face as his hand vanished from her grip. She stared into his face as it slowly faded.

Sephiroth spoke 5 words just before he disappeared.

"I will always love you."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Sephiroth."

~ Where am I? ~

"Sephiroth. Please wake up."

~ Was I dreaming? Or reliving a memory? ~

"Sephiroth, please. I can't lose you again."

~ Oh my God, Aeris! I remember! I remember everything! ~

"Sephiroth! You promised!"

Sephiroth's eyes popped open and he sat up with a jerk. He heard a tiny scream next to him and he turned to see Aeris sitting in a chair beside his bed. Her face was flushed and wet with tears, but her shocked look shifted to joy as she flung herself at him, throwing her arms around his neck in a desperate hug.

"Oh, thank God!" she exclaimed. "You're okay!"

"I remember," he whispered softly in her hear, holding her tight. "I remember everything about us."

Aeris loosened her grip to look into his eyes with a hopeful expression. "How?"

Sephiroth smiles. "I remembered in a dream. I almost broke my promise, but now everything's going to be okay. I'll never leave you again."

Aeris smiled happily through her tears. "You remembered our promise! Oh, Sephiroth!" She moved to hug him again but he held her back. She looked at him confused and he smiled at her before leaning to her and meeting her lips with his.

He pulled her close, deepening the kiss, inhaling the scent of her hair, the touch of her skin against his. He prayed the moment would never end.

Unfortunately, moments pass by quickly, but Aeris and Sephiroth decided to linger on theirs, and they didn't leave the room for quite some time.

* * * * * *

Jenova cursed aloud. Her plan had failed again. Somehow, that Cetra witch had pulled Cloud out of her influence and only a sudden surprise had resurfaced Cloud's hate for Sephiroth. It had been too close. She couldn't afford to make any more mistakes.

Fuming, Jenova used her power to control Cloud's cells and woke him up before summoning him to her. She had to think of another plan, but how could she kill Sephiroth with Aeris on his side?

What really angered her was that she'd almost succeeded. She would have killed both of them if that damned beast hadn't butt in and snatched away her prize. But she recognized the monster immediately as the rage form of one of the men she'd fought in the Northern Crater. She would surely make him suffer when the time came, simply for prolonging her victory. She envisioned how she would torture him, and make him scream and beg for mercy. She smiled at the thought of his pain, and promised that she would see it through.

When the time was right, of course.

Now, she simply had to wait. Cloud would return to her soon and she would work to strengthen her hold on him through the form of the Cetra. She even played with the thought of seducing him, as that would bind him closer as well. She chuckled and sat in the long armchair she used in her chose home in the Ancient Capital. Sephiroth and Aeris were undoubtedly back with AVALANCHE by now, and she was sure they all would come to attempt to save Cloud. But she would be ready for them. She would give them a fight they'd never forget, or live through.

* * * * * *

Vincent watched as Aeris slowly slid through the door out of Sephiroth's room. She closed the door softly behind her and jumped when she finally noticed Vincent's presence. Her usually pale face flushed crimson in surprise and embarrassment.

"Well?" Vincent implored calmly.

"He's awake," she replied simply before swiftly leaving.

Vincent stood slowly, took a deep breath, and walked through the door.

Sephiroth lay beneath the soft down comforter upon the bed, gazing up at the ceiling, his hands behind his head on the feather pillow. He had a small, almost unnoticeable smile on his face, surrounded by the silver crown of his hair that flared out beneath his head. Quietly, Vincent walked to his bedside and sat down in a small wooden chair beside him.

Sephiroth turned his head to look at him. "Oh, it's you Vincent."

Vincent nodded. "How are you feeling?"

"A little sore, a little tired."

Vincent chuckled suddenly. "From what? The fight or something a little more recent?"

Sephiroth's mouth dropped open as he too blushed. Vincent didn't think it was possible for someone like Sephiroth to blush, and his face made him laugh harder.

"Don't worry, I won't tell."

Author's Note: Well? I'm not any good at writing lemon scenes, so I just sort of implied what happened in the bedroom. I didn't think some citrus was necessary anyway - it wouldn't have helped the story in any way, so I left it out. Reviews please!