Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 16 - Storytime ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Ditto

Author's Note: Um…this chapter is incredibly short, but there was no way that I was going to find a different place to end this chapter without making it too long. This is the start of a series of chapters that may be a little boring but I think are very important - basically Sephiroth tells us his version of the story in the FF7 game. It is necessary because the members of AVALANCHE need a reason to trust Sephy, and this was the only way he could prove his good intentions. All right, enough of my blabbering. Enjoy and review as always.

Chapter 16 - Storytime

"I don't like it," Tifa murmured. "I don't like it at all."

"Tifa," Aeris said soothingly. "Please try to relax."

Tifa pursed her lips but was silent as everyone else sat. The group had gathered at Nibelheim Inn to talk strategy about their future, unavoidable confrontation with Jenova and Cloud. Only two of them were missing, and Tifa, Cid, Yuffie, Barret, and Red XIII were quite nervous about the arrival of one of them. No one quite knew how to act around Sephiroth, and had avoided the room he had taken residence in as he recovered. They quickly accepted Aeris, and had been very supportive of her, but Sephiroth and his obvious change in demeanor and overall attitude was quite a lot to take in in just a few days.

The deathlike silence that hung in the room was broken as the doorknob turned and the door opened. Vincent entered first, a pale Sephiroth just behind. Everyone stared at him as he walked, with his eyes at the floor, to a chair in the far corner next to the couch Aeris was sitting on. He sat slowly, his cape flared back as his body settled into the furniture. Aeris reached a hand out to him, entwining her fingers around his, and whispered soft words of comfort to him before he finally looked up. They all quickly noticed the emotionally human expression that filled his eyes.

He was just as nervous as they were.

That though alone seemed to help relax their frayed nerves, supporting the claim that Sephiroth was not at fault and not a ruthless murderer by choice. And Aeris obviously cared for him - that much was at least out in the open now.

Sephiroth looked over at Aeris and gave her a soft smile. She nodded to him and he looked at the group, scanning his glowing gaze over each on of their strained faces.

"So, where would you all like to start?"

The AVALANCHE members stole nervous glances at each other. The silence in the room was deafening.

"Well," Yuffie finally said. "Why don't we start by you telling us what happened?"

"You mean in Nibelheim recently when Jenova attacked?" Sephiroth asked.

Tifa shook her head. "No. We want to hear everything, starting from the Nibelheim incident 8 years ago."

Sephiroth raised a brow. "That will take awhile."

"That okay," Tifa replied. "It may help us in our fight against Jenova. And," she continued, her voice softening, "there are some things I just need to know. Maybe you can give me the answers I'm looking for."

Sephiroth nodded. "Okay," he said. "I will try my best."