Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Glass Tower ❯ Cookie ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

# 11 Cookie
[word count: 323]
Reno felt tense as he stood near the partially opened door and watched the dark hallway. He felt strange without Rude watching his back and it made him slightly anxious. Reno trusted Elena, but she was busy on the computer and couldn't be relied upon for a quick response in case shit went bad. The sound of her fingers flying over the keys put his teeth on edge.
 
“C'mon, hurry it up, yo. Those guards won't be out forever, ya know,” Reno groused.
 
“These things take time, Reno,” Elena replied irritably.
 
Reno snorted and felt annoyed. He hated these infiltration jobs, especially when he was given a direct order not to kill. Reno had a damned hard time taking care of business in any neat or clean manner. He could ensure the death count was low, but it was difficult for him to guarantee none at all.
 
Time ticked by with agonizing slowness. His palms grew slick with sweat and he was glad that his EMR had a rubber grip. The muted clicks of the keys and the not so muted curses uttered by Elena punctuated the silence.
 
“Elena—“
 
“Almost got it…shut the hell up and let me work.”
 
Reno grinned and shook his head despite their precarious situation. She certainly had come a long way from the overtly talkative, somewhat naïve rookie. Back then, he hadn't imagined that she'd survive Meteor Crisis much less its aftermath.
 
“Yes!” Elena exclaimed. “I'm in!”
 
“What do ya want, a goddamned cookie?” Reno snapped, “Keep your voice down and copy the data we came here for.”
 
“Shit,” Elena gasped after a long moment.
 
“What?” Reno shifted his attention just long enough to see her scrolling through a massive list of names and addresses.
 
“The distribution on this materia is insane,” Elena breathed, “Let me tell you…I think we've got a lot of work ahead of us.”
 
“Heh,” Reno chuckled, “That's just how I like it.”