Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 31

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 31

 

 

Shukera grabbed the laptop and began furiously typing out a message to her brother telling him the new development. She pressed send and watched the screen.

 

Selphie stood behind Shukera, looking over her shoulder. "Shukera, I think Squall is right. We are all together now, I think its time you tell them what's going on and about your group. I know we will help out any way we can."

 

Shukera looked up at Raijin and he nodded approvingly. She nodded back at him and faced Selphie. "Do me a favor and grab Seifer's picture off of my nightstand."

 

Raijin chuckled as Seifer looked at Shukera in surprise. "You have a picture of me on your nightstand?? What's this all about Shukera??"

 

Selphie laughed and ran out of the room to get the picture. Shukera scratched her head for a moment and turned away from Seifer. She drew in a deep breath and began.

 

"Headmaster Cid, See D cadets, I have something to tell you. I do have a secret but it's not to take over your garden. I am the leader of a rebel group that's trying to destroy Shin Ra. We have infiltrated them from within and as of now the empire is in chaos. We have bombed reactors; brought inhuman experiments the company was doing to public knowledge, and exposed the many lies that were told about the usage of Maco, the planet's life energy.

 

Shin Ra has been designing monsters so Soldier can defeat them to make the people indebted to the company for protecting them. Not to mention the Maco that is being used as an alternative energy source. Shin Ra has the general public thinking they cannot survive without them. I have uncovered proof that Soldier itself is a human experiment designed to deal with anyone who stands in Shin Ra's way."

 

Shukera paused in front of Cid's desk and faced him. "Shin Ra has its eyes on Rinoa and one other person here, for reason's unknown to me. I am here to protect the other person." She looked to the left and faced Squall. "After I met you and Rinoa I knew that you would protect her. But, the other person is in more danger than they realize cause they are already tainted by Shin Ra."

 

Headmaster Cid nodded, "That makes sense. Shin Ra has issued an order for your execution. They also have one for…where's my list?" Cid rummaged through a few papers until he found the one he was looking for. "Ah yes, here it is. The order is for Shukera, Barett, Tifa, Yuffie, Cloud, Vincent, Red XIII, Cid, and Cait Sith…something about a suspected Shin Ra employee."

 

"They are all members of Avalanche. The suspected Shin Ra employee is my brother Reeve. Shin Ra was gathering the planets life force and killing it at a rapid pace. We started the group to stop them, and we thought we succeeded, but I guess we were wrong." She turned away from him and lowered her head. "And now the group is in danger. At this point, anything can happen."

 

Selphie returned to the office and handed Shukera Seifer's picture. "Come on Shukera, cheer up. It's not over yet." Shukera offered her a smile and took the picture. Gently she pulled the picture out of the frame and exposed a small journal. She handed the journal to Cid. "Read this and you will know exactly what we have been fighting."

 

Seifer dug into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. He walked over to Shukera and handed it to her. "I thought this might be important. I managed to get the last message from your computer before Sephiroth switched them."

 

Shukera took the note from him and read over it. The note read: Hey I confiscated your computer address from your brother. Got some news about you friend for ya. Your friend is alive, yep that's right; Aerith is alive, but we have no clue where she is. I hope you're ok. I heard rumors that you and Sephiroth are no longer talking. That could mean major trouble for you. I miss you… We can't find Hojo either, and to make it up to you, I'm going to find out who Aerith's sister is. Just remember that no matter what you hear or what happens, I'm on your side. Be careful and take care. Love ya, Reno.

 

Tears rolled down Shukera's cheeks and she ran out of the room leaving Cid reading the journal. She raced down to the elevator and pressed the button for the first floor. When the elevator reached the bottom floor and the doors opened and Shukera ran to the Training Center. Everything had taken a serious turn to the worst and it was beginning to hit her hard. She wasn't prepared for getting attached to the Garden and now her best friend who she thought was dead is alive and may be killed because of her.

 

Shukera collapsed in the Training Center and sobbed. Startled, she jumped when someone reached out and touched her on the shoulder. She looked up to find Fujin looking down at her.

 

"You Ok?" Fujin sat down on the rock next to Shukera.

 

"No. Everyone is in danger because of me. I don't know what went wrong… Damn…getting them involved…what was I thinking??"

 

"Maybe thinking of everyone else, risking lives for the peace of others. All I can say is that letter changed Seifer. I think he saw you for what you really are. Before you got here, Seifer was being mean to people, everyone. I know you hate him, but he's not himself."

 

Shukera sighed, "I don't hate him. His arrogance makes me want to kill him, but I don't hate him."

 

Fujin looked away, "What he said to you the other night was mean. I stayed by him…I'm worried about Seifer. I know Raijin has feelings for me, but I can't leave Seifer like that. That guy you came here with kept giving him this green liquid looking stuff. He kept giving it to Seifer and it made him worse. I don't trust him." She panicked when she faced Shukera, "Don't tell Raijin about the green stuff."

 

Shukera looked directly into Fujin's eyes concerned, "I won't tell him. But you have to tell me where Seifer got that green liquid from before we came here."

 

Fujin's eyes widened in surprise, "How you know he had it?? No one but me knows about it." She looked away from Shukera, "I'm kinda scared…that stuff bothers me. Seifer changed after he took it." She looked back at Shukera and sighed, "You know what it is, don't you?"

 

Shukera nodded, "Yep. I need to know where he got it from and when he started taking it."

 

Fujin looked at the ground. "I…I…can't tell you that. Seifer would be angry…"

 

Shukera grabbed Fujin's arm and looked at her sternly, "Seifer is in danger because of it!! He is the reason I am here!! That guy who wrote that message is a very close person to me who told me exactly how he felt about me the night before I left!! I left him knowing I may never see him again!! The only thing I had on my mind at the time was Seifer!! If I find out that you are protecting Quistis by keeping quiet, I will kill you!! I will protect Seifer no matter what it takes!!" She grabbed Fujin's other arm and shook her slightly. "I need to know if Quistis is the one who gave him that stuff!!!"

 

Fujin paled slightly and started sweating. A tear rolled down her cheek as she lowered her head. "I'm only doing this for Seifer's well being. Seifer got it from Quistis who got it from someone who works for your people."

 

Shukera let her go and sat back. "Let me guess, Scarlett."

 

Fujin was surprised once again, "How did you know it was her??"

 

Shukera picked up a rock and threw it towards the back of the Training Center. "Damned woman!!! She poisons everyone she touches!!!"

 

Fujin rocked back and forth on the rock with her hands behind her. "How…bad off is Seifer really??"

 

Shukera looked up at the ceiling and sighed, "He's pretty bad off."

 

Seifer walked into the Training Center looking for them, but when he heard them talking he stopped and listened to what they were saying. Shukera continued as she picked up another rock and threw it.

 

"The green liquid is called Maco. It's an unstable substance that Shin Ra is using to conduct human experiments with. Maco is the actual life force of the planet. It leaves a green haze in the eyes known as the Maco signature; you have to know what you are looking for to find it. I saw it when I first saw Seifer's picture. The problem with Maco is, the person can seem all right for a while, but over time it poisons the body and the mind. Everyone I have heard that has come in contact with it either loses their mind or become comatose."

 

Fujin lowered her head, "Why use it??"

 

Shukera glared, "Shin Ra doesn't care what happens to people. Seifer is nothing more than a nameless experiment to them and soon he'll be their puppet if it's not stopped!" She looked at Fujin and stared at her seriously, "Fujin you are also a target now because you know about what's going on. They will come after you." She wiped her eyes and took in a deep breath. "Raijin is a part of my group. He will protect you." She sighed, "Raijin loves you…" She could tell by Fujin's expression that Raijin's feelings were not returned.

 

Fujin snapped, "I know he does, but what about Seifer?!?!"

 

"Leave Seifer to me, I will protect him. I may be angry with him, but I don't hate him. I care about Seifer." She pleaded with Fujin, "Please don't tell anyone how I feel about him. I'm still not sure in my mind what's going on, so trust me. When I say I will never let anything happen to Seifer, I mean it. I'm going to get him far away from that shit they have him on!! There's going to be hell to pay when I get a hold of Quistis!!!"

 

Fujin faced Shukera as she snapped; "I'm not just leaving Seifer in the hands of someone else!! Not again!! Seifer is the most important person in my life!! I left his side once before and it nearly tore me apart!!! It's not going to happen again!!! You do what you need to do but I'm not leaving Seifer in your hands!!"

 

Shukera continued to wipe her tears away and began trying to calm herself down. A little while later, Seifer walked up to them looking rather somber. "I came to tell you that there was an arrest warrant issued for someone named Reno and someone named Elena."

 

Shukera paled as her heart stopped in her chest. "Oh no!! Reno…he wrote the note…"

 

Seifer nodded, "I figured that when I read it." He began fidgeting quite a bit and Shukera knew there was more.

 

"What is it??" Shukera stared at Seifer, afraid to move or breathe.

 

Seifer scratched his head nervously and behind him came Raijin. His expression matched Seifer's and Shukera knew that something was definitely wrong. She looked to Seifer then to Raijin.

 

"Come on!! Tell me what's wrong!!!"

 

Raijin looked away as Seifer replied, "Your friend Reno was executed for treason. He sent a last message to you on Sephiroth's computer. He figured out that they switched computers on you."

 

Shukera shook her head, as she stepped backwards, "No!! I…I…I can't believe this!!! I won't believe it!!!" She began breathing heavily as her mind raced too fast for her to comprehend what was going on. "He risked his life trying to find out who my friend's sister is…" She fell to her knees and pounded on the ground. "NO!!! Reno!!!"

 

Seifer looked away for a moment, trying to remain in control of himself. The sight of Shukera breaking down like that began to get to him, unexpectedly. He bent down and handed her the note. "I think you should read this. It's the last message your friend sent…"

 

Shukera lifted her head and grabbed the message as she knelt up on her knees. The note read:

 

We are on to Sephiroth. I found some disturbing news about Aerith. She does have a sister that was taken away by Shin Ra. She's definitely alive, I have all the proof but I don't think I'm going to get out of here alive. Take care of yourself. Protect Seifer with your life, they are after him Shukera. And tell him how you feel about him!! He has your heart Shukera…you tell him that. Don't make the same mistake I made and wait until it's too late to say something!! Well, gotta go, they found me. Shukera, I just found it!! Aerith's twin sister is…" The message was cut off.

 

Shukera blinked at the note for a moment before it sunk in what Reno was saying. Everything around her just melted together making incoherent patterns until it became nothing. She appeared as if she were in a drunken stupor as she stepped forward and fell to the ground.