Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 45

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 45

 

 

Nanaki led the group out of the forest and towards the cliff where Cosmo Canyon stood proudly. From a distance it appeared to be nothing more than a rickety old town with a few windmills sticking out from them, but once they came closer they saw that Cosmo canyon was a town built over looking the cliff.

 

They entered the village and Nanaki lead them to his grandfather's house. After climbing a few ladders and going in and out of different doorways and pathways, they climbed out of the final hole that would lead them to Burgenhagen's front door.

 

Burgenhagen met the group with a smile, happy to see that everyone was all right. He bowed to the ones from Balamb and replied, "My name is Burgenhagen, the elder of this village. I have known Cloud and his friend's for quite some time."

 

Barett looked at Burgenhagen a bit confused, "But I thought you died?? I don't understand why people who were supposed to be dead are back now."

 

Burgenhagen hovered towards Barett and flapped his arms. "Ho, Ho, Ho!! Holy is how. You see, when Holy saved the planet, it returned everyone who died, giving them another chance. But the draw back is, Holy gave everyone a second chance…so now we have the same problems as we had before this all started."

 

Shukera sighed, "So that's why Hojo, Rufus, and Scarlet are back. I should have known."

 

Burgenhagen smiled, "Your energy is the same as Aerith's. Who are you??"

 

Shukera stepped closer and held out the materia to him. "I was told I am her twin sister." She told him about the dream she had. When she finished, Burgenhagen bounced up and down as he waved his arms.

 

"Ho, ho, ho!! That was no dream! You really were speaking to her." He held the white materia in his right hand as he addressed the group. "You see, the white materia is part of Aerith and she's part of it. She is, by birth, directly connected to it." He held up the black materia in his left hand, "Just as you are connected to and a part of this black materia and it's a part of you. But keep in mind; this is not the black materia Sephiroth used to summon Meteor. This stone is something completely different."

 

Burgenhagen hovered towards the center of the room. "When Sephiroth had the black materia, he had to use another source of energy to call upon its power. He could not forge its power on his own. But you, just as Aerith was able to call forth Holy, can call forth…"

 

He paused as he thought for a moment. "Well, this materia is a mystery. No one really knows what powers it holds, or what magic it contains. It's rumored to be Death, but no one is really sure about it.

 

Shukera gasped, surprised at what she heard. "Hojo nearly killed me when I refused to give it to him."

 

Burgenhagen nodded, "It would have been a terrible travesty if Hojo would have gotten his hands on the stone." He thought about something for a moment then replied, "Tell me, do you know where Aerith is now??"

 

Shukera glanced at Raijin and Selphie then back to Burgenhagen. "All I could see was some broken down place in Midgar…exactly where, I have no idea." She lowered her head sadly.

 

Burgenhagen's eyes widened, "Well, well, things seem to be getting more and more interesting." He ran his hand down his white goatee and nodded after a silent moment. "You shouldn't give up just yet. What you seek is right in front of you, only you don't know how to look for it."

 

Shukera looked at him confused as she tried to figure out what he meant.

 

Burgenhagen laughed, "Ho, ho, ho! You see, using your bond with Aerith, we can pin point exactly where she is." He handed Shukera the black materia and moved over to a map of the world that he was using to study the latest events taking place around the world. He held the white materia over the map and watched as he replied, "Now, focus all your thoughts on Aerith."

 

Shukera took in a deep breath, held the materia in her hands, and closed her eyes. She concentrated on Aerith and how much she wanted to get her away from Shin Ra.

 

Suddenly the fog returned and Shukera spun around when she heard Aerith scream. She quickly ran through the fog until it cleared and she could see Aerith standing between Hojo and someone else, determined to protect them.

 

"I can't let you take her!!" She placed her hands on her hips and faced Hojo. "You're a stupid man if you think this is going to work!!! Besides, Shukera is coming for you and she's pretty mad!!!"

 

Hojo laughed, "Do you think she really cares about you?? She has no heart and is going to be killed anyway." He started laughing as he added, "So you might as well quit waiting for her come!!"

 

Shukera rushed over to Aerith as she called her name, "AERITH!!"

 

Aerith looked to the left to find Shukera standing near her. "Shukera?? He's trying to take my child again!! He had her once but she got away from him, now he's trying to take her again!!" Her face was tear streaked and she appeared worried looking.

 

"Don't believe him!!! I'm trying to find out where you guys are but I can't find your location!! I have your materia with me!! I took it from Reno!!"

 

Hojo began laughing as he looked at Aerith, "You know that stress has a way of bending the mind and allowing the subject to conform with what is desired from them. It appears that you have begun to crack my dear. Talking to one's self is the first sign of giving in."

 

Shukera's eyes widened as she reached out to Aerith. "Aerith I have something very important to tell you!!"

 

Aerith smiled warmly, "I already know, you are my twin sister. I felt it when we were younger, and when you first appeared to me. I know that's why you protected me."

 

Hojo adjusted his glasses, "So the truth has been discovered. No matter, Sephiroth will kill her when she reaches the Shin Ra building. Tell her he's dying to see her again." He broke out again in laughter as he looked at Aerith. "Now will you hand over the girl so I can finish my work??"

 

Aerith shouted, "Bethany run!!! Run as fast as you can, I will hold him back, just get out of here!!!! As long as he don't have you, he won't be able to complete his work!!!"

 

The child did as Aerith said but was only able to take a few steps before Seifer snatched her up. "Now, now, is that any way to treat professor Hojo after he was so gracious to you and your mother??"

 

The child struggled against Seifer's grip. "Mommy!!!" Seifer lifted the child up and began dragging her out of the area as she kicked and screamed. "LEMME GO!!! I WANT MY MOMMY!!!"

 

Shukera became shocked when she caught sight of the flowing white hair and screamed, "NO!!! LEAVE HER ALONE!!!" She startled herself awake and found herself back in the room holding the materia in her hand. Everything went black and she began to fall back.

 

Raijin rushed up behind her and caught her in his arms. He held her steady as a thin beam of deep indigo light shot out from the black materia and connected with the white materia. A pale green beam shot out from the white materia and burned a hole in the map.

 

Burgenhagen handed Shukera the white materia and picked up the map after she came to again. As he faced the group, he replied, "This is where you will find Aerith and your friends."

 

"You must hurry; time is running out for all of us. When you get Aerith out of there, you will have to take her to the highest point in Midgar and use the power of the materia you hold! You have to be strong Shukera and your heart true. Always remember that Shin Ra may have taken over your past but your heart will control your future. It's time you accepted your destiny and over come the past. If you believe, you will do it. Together you and Aerith will fulfill the legend of the materia and bring true peace to this world. I believe it can be done and so does your friends. You just have to believe in yourself."

 

Shukera lowered her head and closed her eyes, blocking the tears that formed in them. "I…I don't know if I…can do this…"

 

Selphie stood next to Shukera and laughed, "Hey!! I know you can do it! Come on, where's the Shukera I know??"

 

Raijin helped her stand up after the dizziness passed and placed his hand on her shoulder. "We have seen you in action, ya know. Once your mind is set, there's no stopping you, ya know. You are the most stubborn person I know, worse than Fujin, ya know!!"

 

Squall spoke up, surprising everyone; "You have to think of all those guys who served with you in Soldier. I don't think you can let them down, they believe in you."

 

Rinoa held her rings in her hand as she replied, "Seifer needs you to stop him from doing something stupid."

 

Selphie waved her arms as she jumped up and down. "Hey you believed in us enough to bring us here, so why is it so hard to believe in yourself Shukera??"

 

Barett nodded in agreement, "And the people of this world too!! Hell they can't fight; they need someone who can!! I know I will be right there witcha!!"

 

Tifa raised her hand, "Me too!! I'll be right there fighting with you!!"

 

Shukera turned to face the group and saw the expression on their faces. Nothing was going to stop them from destroying Shin Ra. Looking at them made her feel stronger, deep down inside she knew they were right…she had to find it inside to believe in herself. She stood silently for a moment thinking about what Burgenhagen said. She had to do this for everyone's sake, but she didn't know if she could believe in herself. Every time she thought about it, the people she killed in the past surfaced, their dead faces looking back at her from the ground, the innocent eyes of the baby resting upon her in condemnation.

 

She gritted her teeth as she forced the memories away. Burgenhagen was right, it was time she faced her past and over come it. She was no longer the person that Shin Ra had developed into the killing machine…that part of her was gone. She wiped away the tears that did manage to fall down her cheek and smiled. "Everyone has suffered long enough, let's do this!!"

 

Everyone cheered as Raijin and Selphie hugged Shukera. When she parted from them and grinned, "Time to get my sister and Seifer from those bastards! When we get them back, then hell will rain down upon Shin Ra and they will be sorry they ever messed with us!!"

 

The group began making their way through the village and back to the ship. It was time to attack Shin Ra and take back what was taken from them.

 

Shukera remained with Burgenhagen for a moment. She bowed as she replied, "Thank you for your kindness."

 

Burgenhagen laughed, "Thank you for making an old man's wish come true. I have waited a very long time for this moment to come to pass." He smiled as he placed his hands over hers. "Now, I know peace is near." He dropped his hands from Shukera's and hovered back.

 

Shukera nodded, "Everyone has waited long enough. I promise you, I will not let them down." She took her pendent off and placed it in his hands. "Please keep this in memory of our meeting." She closed his fingers around the pendent and bowed to him. Then, she turned away from him and walked out the door.

 

With a tear in his eye, Burgenhagen reached into his pocket and pulled out the other pendent Aerith had given him. He placed the two halves together; they were a perfect fit. A peaceful smile spread across his face as he bounced, "Ho, ho, ho!! I knew I was right!!!"