Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Of Knights & Judges ❯ Tale of a Child's Dream ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I don't own any of Final Fantasy XII. It belongs to Square-Enix
 
Tale of a Child's Dream
By
dark-sanura
“Once upon a time, there was a young child who wanted nothing more than to be the best at all she did - to be the pride of her glorious home. Being the daughter of a prestigious family, a child of one of the great men sworn to maintain order in their homeland. With great pride did the child look up to her reputable father. He meant the world and more to her, and the people of their country loved him.
High expectations were made of this girl, especially being the only child of his family. While the family had certain plans made out for her future, the girl had plans of her own. A dream to become as her father was:
A supreme enforcer of Archadian law.”
A judge.
Against her parents' wishes, she pursued this dream, scratching and clawing her way up the ranks of the imperials. From a humble rank and file assistant to an imperial soldier and finally her dream profession as a judge. Her goal had been accomplished.
My goal had been reached.
It was approximately one year after our late emperor, Lord Vayne, had been killed in the battle between Archadia and the Resistance. I was appointed to being a top enforcer of law. No one could imagine how happy I was. Unfortunately, my parents did not live long enough to see this. They died during the war. I always knew they were not pleased with my decision to not settle down and marry to another noble, like they wished. Even so, I wanted them to see I could do it, follow my dream to become just like my father. He was a great man. I loved him so...
Though I did not have the support of my family, I did not see through to my success alone. I had a friend - a very special man. He helped and influenced my way up the ladder with as much power he had, which was a great deal. I honestly did not think I could have become an Archadian Judge at so young an age without his help. Yet then again, he was quite young for his position.
Strangely, I celebrated my promotion without him. Not long after the great conflict did he stop seeing me all together. Yes, he still resides with the young emperor, Lord Larsa. I have seen him from a distance many times, but he pays me no heed. Even when I do have a chance to exchange with him a word, he acts as if he does not know me.
Though fairly saddened by his disregard, I did find the resolve to hold fast my position. I am doing quite well for myself. But I cannot help stop to wonder what has happened between us. Did I offend him in anyway? Perhaps my strong ambition has chased him away from me...
No matter. I shall see to it that he remains in my sight. We shall speak of this extended isolation from each other. And then, perhaps...”
I can confide in you once more, Gabranth.