Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Of Knights & Judges ❯ Perhaps Another Time ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Perhaps Another Time
By
dark-sanura
Three months ago, I became a judge of Archades. It was both a joyous and grim occasion. My life long dream had been accomplished, yet on the other hand I had no one to share this exciting occasion with. I do have friends, but there's quite a bit of animosity about them towards my position. They, like my late parents, wished for me to settle down with a family rather than become a woman of law'. And the one person who had been helping me get to this position throughout the years has been avoiding me the past 15 months. I had to push myself hard that last year to become a judge without his help. And I thought keeping my position would be an ongoing trial without my friends' encouragement.
Yet it has been rather easy since the war has permanently ended. Actually, it has been quite tedious these last 15 months. There have been no battles, no major skirmishes, and very trifling crimes that even a rank and file officer's assistant's assistant could handle. Lately, I have just been receiving missions involving the fiend infested areas of Nabradia - mainly the Nabreus Deadlands.
The entire region now covered in a violet, peasoup-like fog, it's very difficult to get around. One can barely see ten feet in front of them. Without a trained eye, you can't tell the difference between friend and foe until they're right upon you. That is why so few of us are sent into the deadlands; to avoid friendly fire.
An eerie wind traces across the tall grass of the marsh, sending numerous chills down my spine. The deadlands were very unnerving. On top of the ominous fog, the lack of sunlight, and lifeless flora, there were all sorts of deadly creatures and beasts lurking about. Among the inhabitants were the Baknamy: violent humanoid race noted for the horns on their head and the masks they wear for air filtration. They're a thieving people who stay within the shadows, waiting to ambush some unsuspecting victim and rush them for loot. Many times have I encountered these masked foes.
A rustling comes from within a withered bush behind me. On impulse, I charge at it with lightning speed with my javelin in tow. My body jerks a bit as I feel my javelin's spike make contact with a dark thrashing figure. Gargling sounds of pain and panic come from the bush; I swallow hard. I guess even after having been a soldier, I'm still not used to harming another being. “Forgive me,” I weakly murmur before yanking my javelin back and jabbing it back into the bush thrice.
The thrashing subsides soon after. All I can hear now is a dwindling gurgle and my armor clinking as I turn away from the bush and continue walking. I try my best not to gaze upon my victims after the fact. My resolve as a soldier weakens whenever I do; a deadly mistake when on hostile grounds. The less I see of them, the better. Pitiful, I know, but that's just how I am at heart.
As I continue scouting the foggy wetlands, I stumble across something. A small glistening object lies within the shallow, murky waters of the marsh. “What's this?” I wonder in walking towards it. Unhesitant, I quickly pick up the shiny object and examine it carefully. It was a medium length gold chain with an oval-shaped blue piece dangling from it. Quite odd finding such a valuable piece out in the deadlands. “...A locket?” I blink whilst observing it. The chain was rusted, despite its attractive glimmer, and the azure piece was blood-stained and soiled with the wetland's muck. Had I not had my gauntlet on, I would have dropped the abandoned necklace on contact. Still, it did have some beauty about it. “Why I bet if I took this to a refiner, it would be very pretty. Easy gil if I sold it.”
Nodding to myself, I carefully drop the blood-stained necklace into my leather pouch for potions. I was almost out of healing items, so I should probably start heading out of this murky cesspool. At turning, I hear the sounds of piercing flesh and several screams to accompany them. Gasping, I jump back, holding out my javelin for defense. Much to my surprise, or horror, two- no three Baknamies fall at my feet, dead. Quite a few arrows protrude from their backs. I gape at them, one by one. “How...? Wh-who...??” I stammer, baffled.
“Are you alright, Miss?” A shadow suddenly comes from the purple mist, walking towards me. The sound of metal clinking together gives me a wave of relief. It was one of my few judge comrades, yet I cannot say for sure who it is. Despite being right in front of me, the figure doesn't clear up much due to the darkness of the armor and the thick fog, and their voice is muffled behind their helmet. “Stop having your wits about you, and you'll find yourself no more.” The soldier waves his bow at me in a chastising manner, “You ought to be more vigilant, Ochiern. You can't expect us to go on holding your hand like this.”
“Ah, leave er alone, Ishtkm! She's still new at this.” I smile at the friendly voice behind me and turn my head slightly as a hand is placed on my shoulder. Another judge, one by the name of Floyd Tekiela, waves his bow in the same manner back at Judge Ishtkm. “We all fall down in the beginning. Give er a chance.”
Paying no mind to Floyd's merciful words, Ishtkm continues eyeing me warily behind his shielded face. “My patience grows thin, Ochiern.” The disgruntled judge grimly warns as he walks away, “You will imperil us all if you keep this up.”
“Sir.” I submissively bow my head until he disappears into the fog, out of sight. Then I heave a bitter sigh in following him. “Thanks for sticking up for me,” I mutter to Floyd walking beside me. “Though he is right. Those Baknamy had me surrounded from the start and I took no notice.”
“Relax! It's happened to the best of us,” he laughs heartily, while trying to get his foot unstuck from the muddy marsh. “Why, even I've had to rescue that big ogre, Ishktm, a couple of time before.”
“I can never seem to please him, or any of the other judges.”
“It's not all of them. Just those guys who think a woman's place is in the kitchen or wasting away in an old tower, waiting to be rescued or some other nonsense.” Floyd waves a hand in disgust as he says this. “Ya've done well for yourself. You should be proud.”
“Hmm.” I smile appreciatively at his kind words, in spite of my negative feelings I hold for myself at the moment. “Thank you, Floyd.”
I help Floyd and Ishktm finish their scouting around the Salikawoods border connecting to the deadlands before heading back home to Archades. The three of us have been sent there about twenty times in the past month. For the most part, Salikawoods is a lush, serene, beautiful forest full of life and splendor, unlike the land surrounding Nabudis. But lately, the woods have become troubled' so to speak.
The area linking Salikawoods to the Nabreus Deadlands has also been overcome with the purple mist. This wouldn't be so bad if the Baknamy race were not so fond of it. Up to nearly fifteen percent of the Baknamy have moved into the Salikawoods within the past month or so. Wayfarers are constantly being attacked in this area, so we've had to seal it off. Floyd, Ishktm, and I have been sent to observe the land's changes and weekly measure how much of the fog has claimed the forest.
Arriving at the headquarters in Archades, my team reports to the person running things at this time. “Judge Magister Alero.” Ishktm formally steps forward prior to bowing his head. “We have completed the Nabreus Deadlands search.”
Our commander, gazing out an open window into the city, turns to us. His face, like ours, is concealed from our eyes by his horn ornamented helmet. I always found this rather annoying; judges are rarely seen without their helmets on. I've only seen two judges that I know of face to face, Floyd being one of them. Personally, I'm curious to see who it is I'm dealing with. “Your report?”
Ishktm obediently hands over a thick file containing today's report along with past reports. “Sir, may I verbally highlight an important factor in the report?” His head turns towards me slightly, “Regarding Judge Ochiern?”
I feel myself shrinking within my armor. These men have it out for me. I'll be nothing but the size of a mere termite by the time Ishktm is finished telling the magister what happened in the marsh with the Baknamy. Fortunately, Judge Alero didn't seem all that interested in his misgivings about me. “Perhaps another time, Ishktm. I am quite busy.” He takes the file from Ishktm's hand and casually glances through it prior to placing it on the table. “You are all dismissed until further notice.”
“Then by your leave, sir.” Ishktm bows once more before walking out the room, with Floyd and I following. I am quite exhausted from the mission. Nothing would soothe me more than a drink from the tavern. But before I can set foot outside, I am called from behind.
“Ochiern.” I quickly turn around in recognizing the muffled voice.
“Judge Magister Alero?”
“Please, no need for titles, Miss.” He places a hand on my shoulder, “'Alero' will do just fine in private.” He pauses momentarily, bowing his head somewhat as if thinking. “Miss Ochiern, I have noticed from Judge Ishktm's past reports that you, erm... How can I put this?”
I swallow hard, feeling my throat becoming dry with discomfort. This is very bothersome. Judge Ishktm has been giving me a hard time from day one. I do not need assistance in having doubts cast upon myself, especially with our commanders! “Sir, it is fine. I am not all that fragile,” I respectfully tell him. “What is it you want to tell me? Have I done something wrong?”
“What? Oh ho, no! Do not fret!” he chuckles suddenly, shaking his head, “You are not in any trouble! I just wanted to see if all was well with you. Judge Ishktm is a very demanding man by nature, but he seems to put the bulk of his frustrations on you. His reports are full of ahem dissent about your conduct.”
“I see...” It came as no surprise. Nonetheless, this did concern me. But then again, if Judge Alero could see this constant badgering I've had to put up with from Ishktm, then I shouldn't be worried. “I don't know all of what he has spoken to you about me. Normally, I am vigilant, but... Maybe I became a tad bit sidetracked this afternoon,” I sheepishly admit, “Ishktm and Tekiela had to save me from such an obvious attack today...”
“That is no reason to put yourself down.”
“But sir-“
“I have not been a Judge Magister for long, but I do remember a lot of my companions from my previous ranks. Some of the men, Ishktm being one of them, have not grown fond to women being in their ranks.” He sounds remorseful as he says this, gazing at the ground and sadly shaking his head. “It's just something you and the rest of our female officers will have to deal with for the time being. Please be patient and bear with us.”
“Sir.” I nod, smiling now. Judge Alero became a Magister a few months after the conflict in Dalmasca. I never knew him on a personal level, but I do know he is pretty young compared to the previous Magisters. Age 31, I believe; one of the youngest judges to be appointed. Most impressive, I must say.
Nodding, I kindly assure him, “I understand. Do not worry.”
“Wonderful!” He gently pats me on the back, making a loud clank as his metal gauntlet hits my armor. “So, now that we have that cleared, why don't I take you to get a drink or two? You look like you need help to unwind.”
I laugh inwardly as I have my face covered by thick patches of metal. How could he possibly see how I felt or what I looked like? Still the offer was nice and I was planning to go to the tavern anyway.
But would this be okay?
“With all due respect, sir, are you not still on duty?” I reverentially remind him, “It would not be wise to drink whilst watching over the emperor and headquarters-“
“Not to worry, lass. Zargabaath is still here and Gabranth has the little emperor covered.” He sighs heavily, shifting his body weight onto his right leg, folding his arms. “Between you and me, I think our young lord is playing favorites with Judge Gabranth. He hardly calls on any of the other Magisters for assistance,” he grumbles bitterly, “I don't understand what he could possibly see in that guy.”
“It's very understandable. Gabranth is one of the Magisters Lord Larsa knows best, so of course he would be more inclined to call to him,” I say almost too quick and defensive. It was like my mouth reacted before my brain could; or rather my heart reacted...
I guess I still miss him.
“Alero! Up here!” A feminine voice calls from above. Alero and I both lift up our heads, finding a balcony right above us. Another judge, the Magister Namtalcosa, gazes downwards at us from behind her helmet. Also another fairly new Judge Magister appointed after Vayne's death by Lord Larsa. She's more of age to be a Magister, being in her early forties, though that's still kind of considered young according to past Magisters. Like the late Judge Master Drace, Namtalcosa is the only female Judge Magister. Though I did not know Drace, nor Namtalcosa, I do look up to them, as other female imperials do.
“Alero, Judge Zargabaath has summoned you and-“
“Do you mind? I am in the middle of encouraging a fellow judge!” Alero says more or less agitated.
“Spare me the grievances, Alero. Just get up here A SAP.” Namtalcosa turns her head slightly to me and then nods. “If I may borrow the young annoyance from you, lass?”
“Nam, please! Enough of that!” Judge Alero huffily straightens out his dark cape prior to walking back inside headquarters. “I'm coming. What could he possibly want, the old grumble grumble...”
I frown, somewhat puzzled by this scene I just witnessed. For some reason, I've always pictured the Judge Magisters as being... stoic and professional. I'm not sure what I just saw here, but it was definitely NOT stoic and professional. A chuckle slips from me as I glance up at the sun-dwindled sky. I guess a Magister has to keep their humanity somehow.
The sun has gone over the horizon, leaving the sky in the colors of pink, violet, and finally midnight blue. Night has fallen. Floyd must be wondering where I have gone off to. Nodding, I pace myself to the tall black iron gate entrance that surrounds headquarter. “I better make my way to the tavern, before Floyd...” A person walks past from the opposite direction, inadvertently bumping against me and catching my attention.
“Pardon me.”
“It's fine.” I say before looking back at them and nearly gasping. The red symbol on the dark cape they wore shows it was a Magister. The main guard for our young lord. My heart throbs, nearly climbing up my throat after I manage to force out the name of the person.
“Gabranth?”
He halts in his pace, turning his head to me. His face I cannot see, but the helmet was proof enough. “It is you. At last...” I murmur in a daze. It was just so rare for me to see him up close like this. I never get a moment alone with him.
My old friend merely glances at me with an air of vagueness. “Milady?”
He does not recognize me- Oh! Maybe it's the helmet!
Quickly, I take hold of my helmet from the sides and pry it off my head, letting my sweaty dark locks fall freely to my shoulders. The rush of the cool air against my wet face stuns me for a moment. You never realize how stuffy and suffocating the helmets are until you've taken them off after a hard day's work. “Gabranth, I would have a word with you?” I exhale rather hotly. He nods.
“...A word? Yes-”
“Judge Gabranth? There you are! Hurry! We are waiting!” Judge Namtalcosa calls from the balcony. Her helmet is now off, but I cannot see her face due to the darkness. “Zargabaath is most displeased!”
Gabranth nods at her, saying, “I will be there momentarily.” And then he starts walking away.
Away from me...
“W-wa-wait!” I clumsily stammer, holding out my hand, willing him to stop. To no avail though, as he simply nods back at me, not stopping in his step. “Forgive me, Miss. But I must leave. Perhaps another time.” Then he hurries into the building, shutting the door behind him.
I stand there in front headquarters, my ears and nose numb from the cool winds brushing through my sweat-misted face. I stand there, alone. Alone, just as I have been for the past 15 months; no one else around. I heave a groaning sigh.
“Yes. Perhaps another time.” With that being said, I slowly turn away and make my way to the gate's exit. “It's so cold,” I murmur to myself, addressing the night air.
I carefully place my helmet back on over my head to shun it from the wind and the rest of the world outside. Nothing appeared affable enough to gaze upon me. Tonight, everything and everyone looked as if they wanted to smite me at a glance. Perhaps another time', I will feel more apt to let the world see me face to face.
...But when will 'another time' be... Gabranth?