Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Reno's True Love ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Final Fantasy characters. They are the property of Square Soft and Square Enix. I do however own Kaira, any other character I create, and the storyline. Please don’t steal this because I have worked very hard on it.


Author notes: ~~…~~ denotes flashbacks, dreams, nightmares; **. . . ** denotes scene changes; * denotes notes at the bottom; ‘. . .’ denotes thinking; “. . .” denotes speaking.




Chapter 2 ~ Enter Reno, Rude, and Rufus



**a year and half later**

Kaira sat straight up in bed, sweating. She hated it when she remembered what had almost happened to her on the streets of Midgar that night.

“I hate that dream,” Kaira whispered to herself.

Over the last year and a half, Kaira had learned that she has always lived in Midgar. She also learned that her parents had died when she was younger or so she thought.

She has always been thankful to Cloud when he had rescued her from being raped. She had stayed with him and Tifa for a couple of weeks before she was taken to Healin so she could get better quicker.

Now that she’s been at Healin for over a year, Cloud would come and visit every now and then. But here lately, he hasn’t been coming by. Kaira has even tried calling Cloud’s phone but all she gets is his voice mail.

Well, Kaira decided to get out of bed and get dressed. She had pulled on a blood red tank top and a pair of jet black jeans that fit her slim build perfectly. She then pulled on her white socks and black combat boots. Once she was completely dressed, she walked over to the vanity and started to brush her hair and pull it up into a high ponytail.

When Kaira was happy with the way she looked, she then walked out of her room. She walked down the hallway until she came to a room that had someone in a wheelchair in it.

‘I wonder who that could be,’ Kaira thought to herself.

Kaira walked into the room without making a sound. She never did see the bald man standing behind the open door.

“What are you doing here?” the bald man asked her.

Kaira nearly jumped through the ceiling when she heard the rough voice come from behind her. She turned around slowly and saw a tall man standing there, glaring back at her through a pair of sunglasses.

“Her name is Kaira Ann Shinra,” the man in the wheelchair said.

Both Kaira and the tall man looked at the wheelchair. Kaira couldn’t believe her ears. She needed to know how this person knew who she was.

“Excuse me but how do you know my name?” Kaira asked a little hesitantly.

The wheelchair slowly turned around so it was facing Kaira and the other person in the room. Kaira couldn’t see the person’s face because it was hidden for the most part.

“It doesn’t matter how I know your name. But if you insist on knowing. The reason I know your name is because I was the one who named you when you were born,” the man said.

Kaira went to step back but ended up running into a hard chest. She was completely at a loss for words. She was having a hard time comprehending what she was just told.

“But that would mean that you’re my. . .” Kaira started but couldn’t finish.

“Your father,” the man said. “Rude, please leave us.”

Rude looked at the main in the wheelchair before turning towards the door. He eyed Kaira as he walked out the door while shutting it behind him.

Kaira watched as Rude left her alone with the man in the wheelchair. She was starting to feel extremely nervous. She slowly approached the wheelchair. As she came around so she was facing the man, Kaira noticed that he had the same disease as Denzel did. She had found out that it was called geostigma.

“What proof do you have that I am your daughter?” Kaira asked. “And what is your name?”

“My name is Rufus Shinra. And the proof that you’re my daughter is that you are wearing a bracelet that not only has your name on it but it also has your mother’s name on it,” Rufus said calmly.

Kaira dropped to her knees. No one knew of the bracelet except for her. She always kept it hidden from everyone else. Kaira’s right hand unconsciously went to her left wrist and rubbed the bracelet. Kaira then felt tears start to slide down her face. She was happy but yet she was angry.

Rufus looked at Kaira as best as he could. He could see the different emotions play across her pale face. It had been so long since he had seen his daughter. He felt a smile pull at his lips as he remembered the last time he had seen Kaira and her mother.

~~Begin Flashback~~

Rufus sat on the couch next to Cora* while watching Kaira play on the floor before them. They both smiled at her. Rufus couldn’t believe how big his daughter had grown over the last couple of years.

“Daddy?” a five-year-old Kaira asked her father.

Rufus looked at Kaira as he answered, “What is it, sweetheart?”

Kaira got up off the floor and walked over to him and Cora. She then climbed up into his lap and smiled slightly.

“Why are you leaving me and mommy?” the five year old asked.

Rufus and Cora just looked at their daughter. They both knew that she was gifted. Rufus let out a long sigh before answering Kaira.

“Well, sweetheart, I have to go because I have to keep our world safe for you and the others,” Rufus explained as best as he could.

Kaira just looked up at her father with her blue and lavender eyes. She knew he wasn’t telling her the complete truth. Just then, Kaira saw her father pull something out of his pocket.

Rufus knew that Kaira was able to tell that he had lied to her. He then reached into his pocket and pulled a small box out.

“Here, Kaira. This is for you,” Rufus said as he handed the box to her.

Kaira’s eyes lit up when she took the box from her father. She slowly opened it and saw a beautiful bracelet. Kaira removed the bracelet from the box so she could get a better look at it. That was when she noticed the writing on it.

“Kaira and Cora, my true heart,” Kaira read slowly.

Kaira giggled when Rufus took the bracelet from her and put it on her left wrist. Kaira then hugged her father and slowly fell asleep in his arms. Rufus gently picked his daughter up in his arms and carried her off to her room.

Once he reached Kaira’s bedroom, Rufus carefully laid his daughter’s sleeping body on the bed and covered her up. He then gently kissed Kaira’s forehead and then turned and walked out of the room.

Cora waited patiently by the front door for her husband. She knew that when he left this time that he wasn’t coming back. She felt the tears start to fall from her lavender eyes.

Rufus came up behind Cora and wrapped his arms around her. He hated being taken away from his wife and child.

“I know that you don’t want me to go, Cora, but you know I have no choice. Take care of Kaira and yourself,” Rufus said as he released his crying wife.

Rufus kissed his wife as he picked up his bag. He then opened the door and walked out, never to see his wife and daughter ever again.

~~End Flashback~~

Kaira and Rufus continued to look at each other. Kaira’s mind started filling with questions that needed answering. Just then, Kaira walked towards Rufus.

“Dad,” she said hesitantly.

Rufus looked up at his daughter. He could see the questions dancing in her mismatched eyes.

“What is it, Kaira?” Rufus asked carefully.

Kaira stopped a couple of feet short of her father. She was trying to figure out the best wording for her question when she just decided to ask it.

“What can you tell me about where I come from?” Kaira asked simply.

Rufus started to laugh. He had heard that she had no memory of where she had come from.

“You were born in Midgar, Kaira,” Rufus said. “You have mine and your mother’s eyes. You are special in more ways that you know.”

As soon as one of her questions were answered, more popped into her head. Kaira had always known that she was special. That would also explain why the other kids ignored and made fun of her as she was growing up.

“Why didn’t you come back for mom and me?” Kaira asked skeptically.

Rufus had stopped laughing when he heard Kaira’s next question. He didn’t know how to explain to her that her grandfather had stopped him from returning to her and Cora.

“It is hard for me to explain right now. But I promise to tell you eventually, my dear,” Rufus said apologetically.

Kaira was about to ask her next question when the door burst open. Kaira immediately got to her feet and stood in front of her father in a protective manner. What Kaira saw just about fall back onto her butt.

When Kaira regained her senses, she saw a cute red head standing in the doorway looking right at her. She couldn’t believe how cure this man was. She noticed that he had spiky red hair in the front that led to a ponytail in the back. He also had a small red stripe under each eye. Kaira smiled slightly to herself as she continued to look him up and down. Then her cobalt and lavender eyes met his light blue eyes.

The new person just stared intently at Kaira with a trademark smirk, that he always wore, on his face. He then pulled out his favorite rod-type weapon and pointed it right at Kaira.

Rufus smirked to himself as he saw Kaira go on the defensive. He knew how she could get if she was provoked. She was quite the little troublemaker when she was younger. She always got into fights with the other kids. He then turned his gaze towards the man.

“Reno, stand down. Is that any way to act towards my daughter?” Rufus said to the red-haired Turk.

Reno just looked at Rufus with an unbelieving look on his face. He couldn’t believe what his boss had just said. He then looked back at Kaira.

“So, what’s your name, gorgeous?” Reno asked, smirking once more.

Kaira blushed slightly at being called gorgeous. She had always been shunned by society for the way that she looked and who she was related to.

“The name’s Kaira and don’t you forget it,” Kaira said matter-of-factly.

Rufus just grinned to himself. He could already tell that he was going to have problems with these two.

~~~~~~~~~
*Cora is Kaira’s mother’s name……