Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Rip in the Glass ❯ Disturbed ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rip in the Glass
 
Author: Ilze
 
Rating: PG13
 
Category: Final Fantasy VIII, Action, Romance, Drama
 
Summary: When Rinoa suffers from constant headaches and sleep walking, a new evil may be rising that will challenge everyone mentally, physically, and emotionally.
 
Warning: There are possibilitys of some shoujo-ai in this story. I havent decided quite yet but it's always possible.
 
Note: As far as relationships go, there are so many possiblites I cant name them. All I know is that Squall/Rinoa will be a definite one but not exactly the main one.
 
Disclaimer: I own no FFVIII characters or trademarks.
 
Chapter 1: Disturbed
 
 
Months after the defeat of the Sorceress Ultmencia, peace had once again flowed over the planet. The SeeD soldiers had returned to their Gardens, some had quit but most had returned to their former lives. The heroic SeeDs who had defeated the Sorceress had returned to their lives but none of them were the same as they were before their adventure had begun. Their friendships had lasted even after their adventure. Rinoa Heartilly had enrolled in the Balamb Garden with hopes of becoming a SeeD. Irvine Kinneas, who had been attending the Galbadia Garden, transferred to Balamb. All of the group of friends were together. Their peace seeming to last forever.
 
Squall Leonheart lay in his private dormitory. His eyes closed, his body still. This was his personal time. Before his adventure, he had hated the silence. Now he embraced it. It was peaceful and a time for reflection. Ever since Cid had returned to the position of Headmaster, he had plenty of time for peaceful reflection. However, this peace was interrupted in the same manner it was everyday.
 
A light but upbeat rapping came upon his dorm. The same one he heard everyday. He smirked, something Squall had learned to enjoy in his life, "Come in, Rinoa." He said in a light but strong tone.
 
The joyful girl came walking into the dorm with her usual friendly air about her. She smiled at him, pushing her black locks out of her pale face, "Hey." She said, her voice soft but still audible. She crossed her thin arm as Squall shifted into a sitting position, "Having fun?" She chuckled lightly.
 
"Tons." Squall stood and embraced the girl he'd grown to love through the time he'd known her. After a moment, he pushed away and looked at the girl, "Something wrong?"
 
"No." She said, cocking her head to the side. Her left arm cluthes at her own right elbow, a habit he loved about Rinoa Heartilly, "I just thought I'd come see you. I have class in about a half hour but I thought I'd come a see you for awhile."
 
Squall nodded and sat back down. He was proud of his girlfriend. She taken to the studies very well. Before, he thought she would put off the book work but she was actually doing quite well. She patted her thigh and she took her favorite seat on Squall's lap. He cradled her like he had ever since that fateful day on the Ragnarok. The day he'd learned that his love for Rinoa was true, "Whats it like having Quistis as you're Intructor?"
 
Rinoa laughed as she hugged her love, "It's diffrent. I keep getting scolded because I call her Quistis instead of Intructor Trepe." She layed her head on Squall's shoulder, "It's fun thought. I love being here with everyone. Everyone's so happy."
 
"All except for Irvine and Selphie." Squall said in an exasperated tone.
 
Rinoa nodded slowly, "I know." She said as she looked at her feet, "We need to fix that, dont we? They were so cute together."
 
"No, we dont." He said, looking at Rinoa's face. His dark eyes scanning her's, "I knew that they werent meant to be. Just dont get into it. Irvine just isnt the kind of guy for long-term relationships."
 
Rinoa frowned and pouted to her boyfriend but soon lightened up, "Not like you, right?" She asked him with a gleam in her eyes.
 
"Not like me." He repeated and leaned in to kiss the girl. Their lips met and held the position for a few moments before Squall pulled away reluctantly, "You'd better get going. You know how Quistis is about tardys."
 
Rinoa sighed and lifted herself off her boyfriend's lap. She fixed her clothes and nodded, "Yeah. If Quistis, I mean, Instructor Trepe has to scold me one more time I'll probably be going over her knee, huh?"
 
He laughed and kissed her lightly once more, "Alright. I talk to you after class, okay? I'm gonna go grab something to eat. Love you."
 
Rinoa smiled and waved to him. She returned the 'love you' and skipped off down towards the elevator. He watched her as she left. His life certaintly was on the right track...
 
 
"Ah, the duties of an Instructor are endless."
 
Quistis Trepe sat at her desk, filing through term papers in a very irregular unorganized manner. She had gone back to her former job as an Instructor after returning to Garden but still hadnt gotten back into the groove. She was having fun discipling her students but the paperwork seemed endless. The life as a SeeD certaintly was simpler to the Instructor. She cursed as she tripped in her heels, sending paper scattering onto the floor. Kneeling down, she began to recover the papers.
 
"Loving that job of your's, right, Quisty?"
 
Quistis sighed and looked up. To her displeasure, the Galbadian cowboy stood over her, tipping his black hat in his usual confident manner, "It's the best, Irvine."
 
The cowboy knelt down and assisted the blonde in retriving her papers. Standing, Irvine handed them over to Quistis, "How's it going?" He said, flashing a bright smile, "You seem a bit flustered."
 
Quistis shrugged as she started off towards her classroom, "It's tough getting back into the groove after being gone for so long. You seem to be adapting fine."
 
"Oh, yeah." He said, tipping his hat. She smiled as the two friends headed down the 2F hall, "Balamb's great. The girls are beautiful, the guys are losers. It's like shooting fish in a barrel." He motioned his index finger like a pistol.
 
"I bet you're having a lot of fun." She said in a monotone, "Selphie, on the other hand, is miserable."
 
The two stopped. Irvine sighed and put his hand to his forehead, "Listen, Quisty. Me and Selphie, we just arent right for eachother. I know it looked all good awhile ago but we were on that mission. It was just the six of us and we were lonely. It was all lust, nothing more." Irvine's face showed nothing but seriousness towards the topic as he spoke, "I hope Selphie finds someone real soon but that someone just aint me."
 
Quistis stared at him for a moment. It had been a long time since she'd since Irvine so serious. She took the explanation and nodded, "Alright, Irvine." She said and swallowed her pride, "I'm sorry I brought it up."
 
He shook his head, "Nah, it's alright." Then a smile played across his handsome features, "So, now that that's out of the way we can discuss our relationship."
 
That was the Irvine she knew. Quistis used her free hand to push the cowboy and he fell back, "Irvine Kinneas, you can never seem decent for more than five minutes, can you."
 
"Well, why dont we try and find out tonight? Around... five in the Library?" Quistis sighs and pushes him once more, this time sending the male into the elevator. It brightens and stared to descend as Irvine shrugs and shouts once more, "I'll meet ya there!"
 
Quistis turned from the male with a smile. The idea was funny but... she was an Instructor plus, it was Irvine Kinneas. With a laugh, she continued to her classroom. She would be late.
 
 
Zell Dincht wasnt an emotional guy, at least to him he wasnt, and he definatly wasnt the kind of guy who could comfort someone but today was diffrent. Over the last couple months, Selphie had become one of his best friends and he couldnt sit by and watch her sink deeper and deeper into depression over a cowboy. Building his confidence, the blonde walked over to the girl and put on his patented 'Zell Smirk.'
 
Selphie look up at his from her book. The library was strangly desolate. Usually people were crowded the back seats but it was seemingly empty today. She smiled at him as she stood before her but it wasnt her hyper, upbeat smile. It was kinda fake but still Selphie Sweet. She looked at him, "Hey, Zell." She said. Her voice had no high pitch to it.
 
Zell waved to her, "Hi." His voice cracked and he sat down next to her. He gulped. This was a bad idea. He never could talk to girls. Wether it was his friends or a crush or anything. Zell Dincht wasnt a lady's man!
 
Selphie blinked at him a few times before looked at his face. He stared at the ground stangly, "Zell? Something up?" The blonde shook his head vigorously. He swallowed and stayed silent for a few more moments before Selphie spoke again, "You okay? I havent seen you this quiet since you broke the Garden record in Most Hot Dogs Consumed." She laughed.
 
The laugh broke Zell's ice for a moment and the thought of the hot dog eating record came to his mind, "Yeah. I still hold that record. The thing about eating hot dogs is-" He cut off as he remembered what he came here to do. He hadnt come to ramble on about his favorite food. He came to comfort his friend!
 
Selphie's smile had widened somewhat as he spoke and she blinked when he stopped, "What?" Zell looked at her strangly ands he continued, "Whats the thing about eating hot dogs?" She asked him.
 
He was silent for another moment before he stopped fighting with himself and shouted. He didnt even look at his friend, "The thing about eating hot dogs is that you cant get all down about some wannabe cowboy breaking up with you. You have to be going and not let it get to you! You just gotta keep going until he gets out of you're mind. Irvine wasnt that great anyways!"
 
Zell finally looked at Selphie. She simply stared at him. A wierd look in her blue eyes. Looking around, Zell also noticed that everyone else in the mildly populated library was staring at him as well. His face flushed and he turned back to Selphie who was still amazed at his speech. Finally, he sorted out his words and found the stupidity in it.
 
'Hot Dogs?! What are you doing, Zell?!' He shouted in his mind, 'Now get yourself out of this. Say something that'll make everything all right.' He nodded to himself and turned back to Selphie and simply stared for a good moment that felt like a hour, 'Say something!' He blinked a few times, 'Okay. Nothing you say can make this alright. Just say something!' Nothing came out. Selphie had now turned from him for a moment as if in an attempt to sort everything out but turned back defeated, 'Just say words! Nothing will help you!'
 
Zell stammered once more before speaking, "Oooh, lunch time!" He said with a smile as he stood and sprinted out of the library like a Wyre in the heat of battle. The whole time he said to himself over and over, "You're an idiot, Zell! You're an idiot!"
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~