Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Rip in the Glass ❯ Wrong Turn ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rip in the Glass
 
Author: Chrischi
 
Rating: PG13
 
Category: Final Fantasy VIII, Action, Romance, Drama
 
Summary: When Rinoa suffers from constant headaches and sleep walking, a new evil may be rising that will challenge everyone mentally, physically, and emotionally.
 
Warning: There are possibilitys of some shoujo-ai in this story. I havent decided quite yet but it's always possible.
 
Note: As far as relationships go, there are so many possiblites I cant name them. All I know is that Squall/Rinoa will be a definite one but not exactly the main one.
 
Disclaimer: I own no FFVIII characters or trademarks.
 
Chapter 2. Wrong Turn
 
 
The Cafeteria of Balamb Garden was in it's usual busyness but the crowd didnt bother Squall Leonheart. The SeeD mercenary sat in the back of the crowded room, reading the latest happenings in his least favorite magazine, Occult. He shook his head as he read about a alein abduction in the Timber area. To Squall, everything in the magazine was nonsense. Sadley, it was the only reading material he could find.
 
He'd been sitting in the cafeteria for almost an hour. He did about everyday. He would come in, grab a sandwich or something, eat then he'd just sit around and read. He took a sip of his coffee and swallowed lightly. He'd never been too fond of the thick liquid but it was the only thing with the caffiene to get Squall through the day. He yawned lightly as he returned to his reading. He turned the page and read the headline. "Return of the Sorceress: Predictions True."
 
Shaking his head, Squall lays the magazine down. That was going too far. It's not so bad when you make up stories about aliens and 'mosnters' but when you start spreading rumors about the Sorceress, that was going too far. He sighed as he finished his coffee and stood. He was about to leave when someone caught his attention. The girl walked in with her usual strict air about her, sporting the attire of the faculty of Balamb Garden.
 
Instructor Quistis Trepe strutted into the cafeteria with her friend Xu at her right hand. The pair was seen quite often together, walking the halls or eating in the cafeteria. They were apparently the best of friends. The Instructor noticed Squall quickly and waved to him. He nodded back and sat back down to wait for the two women to join him. He leaned back and watched as they recieved their food and walked over to sit with the SeeD at his table.
 
Quistis and Xu sat next to each other across from Squall. He nodded to them and Quistis smiled, "You seem to be enjoying you're alone time." She took a bit of the sandwich she had ordered.
 
Squall nodded slowly and he noticed Xu's eyes trailing to the Occult magazine in front of him. She looked at him rather oddly, "You into all that extraterrestrial nonsense, Squall?"
 
He shook his head, "No. I needed something to read. It's all a bunch of lies. Nothing true." He leaned back as he watched them.
 
Quistis took it upon herself to reach across the table and look into the magazine. She skimmed over the headlines when her eyes suddenly caught sight of something, "Have you seen this, Squall?" She held the magazine open for the SeeD to look. He nodded before he even read the headline. It was the same one he'd become tired of earlier, "I cant beleive people would joke around about something so serious."
 
"Predictions?" Xu asked as she skimmed over the article, "Is this some kind of cosmic reading or what?"
 
"Read it and find out." Squall said as he stretched boredly. He turned back to his ex-Instructor, "How's life getting back into Instructor life?"
 
Quistis shrugged lightly as she swallowed a mouthful of her meal, "It's a hassle." She leaned back, reading over Xu's shoulder for a moment, "I havent found a better student yet, I'm afraid." She chuckled as she looked back at her former student. She still considered him her best student.
 
Squall nodded slowly, paying no attention to the complement. He glanced around the room, "How's Rinoa doing?" He asked, he couldnt help but ask about his girlfriend.
 
Quistis smirked. She'd expected the question. At first, the idea of having Rinoa in class bothered her. Her old crush for Squall had made her uncomfortable to have her friend as a student but she'd conquered that. She no longer held strong feelings for the SeeD and had come to look on Rinoa as another student, "She's doing very well. A bit energetic at times but it's no different than having another Selphie." She chuckled.
 
Squall was about to talk again when Xu looked up from the article in disgust, "It's nonsense. It talks about some fortune teller who spoke about the return of the sorceress and everyone beleives her." Squall frowned and nodded slowly, "Dont take it seriously, Squall. Nothing in Occult is true and you know it."
 
"Yeah, I know." Squall looked up with his usual broody face on. Nothing new. He took the magazine from Xu and kindly deposited it in the nearby trash can.
 
Quistis finished her meal and glanced at the clock strangly. She seemed to be considering something with herself before standing and smiling to her friends, "I must get going. A lot of papers to grade."
 
Squall nodded to her as he stood as well, "I'm going to be off too. I promised Rinoa I'd see her tonight. I'll see you two later."
 
The three of them granted eachother farewell before departed in their own ways. Squall to his dorm, Xu to her office, and Quistis to the Library...
 
 
The Library was as desolate as it usually was around five o'clock on a weekend night but there was one man there. This man was not a usual visitor of the Garden Library. The Galbadian Cowboy sat in on of the rocking chairs in the back of the large room, his feet sitting leisurly on the top of the table. Irvine Kinneas wouldnt have been caught dead in the Library unless he had a perfectly good reason and today, he had one.
 
Earlier in the day, the Garden playboy had 'scheduled' a date with Instructor Quistis Trepe. Well, he didnt really schedule it. It was more like... he asked and she sort of just blew him off. But there was no use not trying. So Irvine sat in the library alone with hopes that the Instructor might just happen to show up. The chances were slim.
 
Irvine Kinneas, however, had always been a lucky man. As he turned around in preparation to leave, he saw the blonde haired Instructor come waltzing into the Library. The cowboy stared a moment as the woman strutted into the room wearing her 'casual' wear. He blinked a few times. Sure, he'd asked her but he never thought she'd actually come. This certaintly was a diffrent day for Kinneas.
 
Irvine stood and planted his usual playful smile on his tan face, "I knew you couldnt resist." He laughed as he watched her walk up to him.
 
Quistis Trepe rolled her eyes as she stood before him. She already regretted her decision to join the cowboy, "No, I suppose not." She said in a sarcastic tone.
 
Irvine laughed as he took his seat, "Be my guest." he said as he motioned to the chair next to him. He returned his feet to the table, "So, how is this beautiful night treating you?"
 
Quistis took the chair and sat with utmost posture, "Same as every night." She said with a mild smile. The Instructor watched Irvine as she spoke, "and you, Irvine?"
 
"Better now that you're here, Quisty." He said. One of his lousy yet workable pick up lines. He smiled a bright grin at the Instructor.
 
Quistis rolled her brown eyes at the line. She should have seen it coming, "I walked right into that one." She said with a chuckle. She pushed a blonde bang out of her face. In all her time traveling with Irvine, she just noticed that she never really talked to him. Well, not personally.
 
Irvine laughed in his usual absent chuckle. The one all of the gang had grown to know as his, "That you did, Instructor." He said as he tipped his black hat back, "Ya know, we havent had a chance to talk since we got back from Time Compression, have we?"
 
"No, I've been very busy. Not much time for anything else but my job." It had been nearly two months since they returned that day. Quistis had renewed her Instructing License in a week or two.
 
"Yeah, I know." He leaned back more and cracked his back, "I've been busy too. With all the business with Sephy and stuff. I havent really talked to anyone since we broke up."
 
Quistis chuckled, "Everyone's been busy, havent they? Squall and Rinoa are too into eachother to even notice anyone else. Zell is becoming a cafeteria legend with his Hot Dog Eating Record. The Garden Festival is next month too so Selphie is too wrapped in that." She smiled and shook her head, "Everyone's busy."
 
"Yeah. No one has time for anyone anymore." He removed his hat and laid in on his stomach, "Now that classes are starting to pick up again, the business'll just pick up."
 
Quistis nodded slowly. She rocked in her chair, "What are you doing about class, Irvine? I havent seen you on any of my attendance sheets or anything."
 
Irvine held up a gloved hand and shook his head, "I'm just gonna be continuing my classes from Galbadia. I'll be taking the SeeD Field Exam whenever the first exam comes around. I already talked it over with Cid and he's fine with me not attending class and just taking the Field Exam since I missed my last one back at Galbadia. Thanks to a certain assassination mission."
 
The mission was very familiar to Quistis. Everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong in that mission. Well, not everything. They got Irvine into their gang and Edea is still alive and not a Sorceress, "I remember." she said with a curt nod, "First time we met, wasnt it? Well, outside the Orphanage."
 
Irvine nodded with a smile, "Yes. I remember it like a dream." Before Quistis could notice what was going on, Irvine had started another pick up line, "I lay in a field of flowers, looking at a beautiful sky. Then I see a beautiful butterfly. When I stand up, I come face to face with something twice as beautiful." He smirks, "Quistis Trepe."
 
 
Squall returned to his private dorm about five after five. He opened his door and was not suprised to see his girlfriend sitting on the bed waiting. Shutting the door behind him, Squall moved to sit next to Rinoa. He looked her over. She was a mess. Her black hair hung absently in her paler than usual face. She had a distraught look on her beautiful face. Squall frowned, "You alright?"
 
Rinoa put on a weak smile and nodded slowly, "Yes, I'm fine." Her voice was barely audible, "Just real tired and my head hurts." She frowned and laid her head on her love's shoulder, "I took something from the Infirmary but it isnt helping."
 
Squall put his arm around her, "Lay down." He said gently and laid her on his bed. He stood and felt her forehead. She had no temperature but her skin was freezing cold, "You'll sleep here tonight."
 
Rinoa nodded and closed her eyes, "Thanks, Squall..." She said in the same quiet voice, "I'll be better tomorrow."
 
"I hope so." Squall said as he took a seat at the foot of the bed, "You freezing, Rinoa. Cover up." He helped her pull the blankets over her petite body, "Sleep. I have some paperwork to fill out."
 
Rinoa nodded bt she was already nearly in the beginning of a dream. Squall stood and went over to his desk to begin filling out the various papers and contracts on his desk. Even though Cid had taken back the position of Headmaster, he still allowed Squall to read over contracts and add his opinion to every one of them. He started on his work as he listened to the girl he loved toss and turn in the bed behind him.
 
 
Zell's punches had never been swifter than on that night. He stood in the Infirmary of Balamb Garden, taking his anger out on the punching bag that hung in the Physical Room. Dr. Kadowaki had installed the bag for us of patients to test their arm strength and speed but Zell constantly used the bag for his own personal use. Now he used it to take his anger out on.
 
Dr. Kadowaki strolled into the room and watched him as he beat the daylights out of the bag, "Cool down some, Zell." She said while emptying a trash can, "You'll bust it."
 
The blonde fighter stopped and wiped the sweat from his forehead. He stretched and took a seat in a chair in the room. Only two or three hours ago, he'd made a fool of himself while trying to comfort one of his closest friends. First he'd ran to the Training Center and emptyed a portion of the place, then'd he'd eaten his weight in hot dogs, and now here he was and he was finally starting to cool down.
 
Kadowaki glanced at him while wipping the desk clean, "What's got ya so fired up, Zell?" She asked over her shoulder.
 
Zell sighed and shook his head, "Nothing. I'm just a moron." He said and nearly spit on the Doctor's floor but was able to stop himself.
 
"And why's that?" She asked in her Doctor-Patient voice.
 
"I dont wanna talk about it." Talking about his complete freak out while talking to Selphie would only make him angry once more and Kadowaki might have to order a new punching bag.
 
The doctor shrugged, "Alright but let me tell you this, boy." She turned to face him, her elderly face looking younger, "You'll never improve yourself if ya dont talk about you're problems. That punching bag dont understand a word you've been yelling at it while you've been in here."
 
Zell blushed lightly and scratched the back of his blonde head, "You heard me, huh?" He laughed nervously.
 
"You bet." She shook her head, the bun that she put her hair in shook as she did so, "You're lucky the Disciplinary Committee wasnt around otherwise you'd be in a mess of trouble."She laughed to herself, "How long you thinking about staying? It's nearly 5:30 now."
 
Zell opened his mouth to speak but the words never came as he saw someone rush into the Infirmary. Standing, Dr. Kadowaki and Zell left the Physical Room and found Squall Leonheart standing in the front room. In his arms was Rinoa, her face contorted in pain. Squall looked at the two with urgency in his voice, "Rinoa needs help." Is all he said as the girl in his arms shouted in pain, her hands holding her head.
 
Dr. Kadowaki nodded and motioned for them to bring her into the ER. Squall carried her in and laid her on the bed. Kadowaki inspected her, "Tell me what happened, Squall."
 
The SeeD mercenary shook his head quickly. Worry streaked the young man's face, "I came back to my room and she was there. She said she was tired and her head hurt. I put her to bed and about ten minutes later, she was screaming in pain."
 
The doctor put a hand to the girl's forehead, "She's frozen." she said strangely. Shaking her head, she looked up at the two, "I cant tell whats wrong. Do either of you have any magic on you?"
 
Squall frowned in despair and looked at Zell in hope. The blonde man shook his head and Squall cursed, "I'm gonna go find someone. Zell, help me out will you."
 
"Sure, Squall." Zell said as he took one last look at Rinoa.
 
The two SeeDs took off out of the Infirmary in hopes of finding someone with healing magic junctioned. Both of them cursed themselves for not keeping their things junctioned at all times.
 
 
Irvine and Quistis still sat in the back of the Library. Both of them found their company to be suprisingly entertaining and they were having a great time when Squall burst into the room. He looked around the Library frantically, his dark locks falling into his face which was contorted in worry.
 
Quistis stood and walked to the young man with Irvine close behind. "What's wrong, Squall?" She asked him.
 
He turned to see the two and looked hopeful for a moment, "Irvine, Quistis. Rinoa needs help. Do either of you guys have curing magic junctioned."
 
Irvine shook his head but Quistis spoke up, "Yes. Why? Whats wrong with Rinoa?"
 
"No time." Squall said, "Follow me. She's in the Infirmary."
 
The three friends took off at a sprint towards the Infirmary. They came upon the section of Garden quickly, each of them breathing heavily. Squall entered first and motioned to the bed where Rinoa lay. Kadowaki was speaking on the phone but hung up when they entered. She cleared her throat, "Do any of you have cure magic?"
 
Quistis stepped foreward with a nod, "Stand back." She said and stood before Rinoa. Bright light shone from the Instructor and soon Rinoa was also encircled in the light. When the light faded and completly disappeared, Rinoa still lay in the bed with her eyes shut tight.
 
Dr. Kadowaki advanced on the girl and looked her over. Her face was grim but less tense than before, "Her breathing is back to normal." She put a hand to the girl's face, "She's warming up." The doctor looked up at Squall, "She'll stay here overnight. When she wakes up, we can talk to her. I've never seen anything like this before. Squall, you can stay in the bed next to her if you want."
 
Squall's face still showed the same worry but he looked at the doctor gratefully, "Thank you, Doctor. I will." The young man turned to his friends. Two more had joined them during the healing, Selphie and Zell. He nodded to them, "Thanks, everyone. Stop by the Infirmary tomorrow, alright?" He turned back to his girlfriend and took a seat on the bed next to her, "I'll see you guys tomorrow."
 
The four friends each gave a good night to Squall before they left the Infirmary together. They talked amongst them themselves as they headed back to the dorms. Each of them with the intention to see Rinoa the next morning and each with the same worry that about Rinoa and for Squall.
 
To Be Continued....
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
 
Note: Alright. There's Chapter Two. I know it took a long time but I'll say this again, I'm writing this whole thing on instinct. No pre-deciding on events whatsoever. Please stay patient while I write Chapter Three. I always want my chapters to be perfect.
 
Reviews for Chapter One - Two
 
The Paradox: Thanks for the lengthy review. These are the kind I like. I'm glad you enjoyed Zell's little part.
 
Frozen-Harpie-Mimi: I'm glad you thing the storys great. I try to use my words to keep people intrigued. Keep reading!