Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Rip in the Glass ❯ Morning Sickness ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rip in the Glass
 
Author: Ilze
 
Rating: PG13
 
Category: Final Fantasy VIII, Action, Romance, Drama
 
Summary: When Rinoa suffers from constant headaches and sleep walking, a new evil may be rising that will challenge everyone mentally, physically, and emotionally.
 
Warning: There are possibilitys of some shoujo-ai in this story. I havent decided quite yet but it's always possible.
 
Note: As far as relationships go, there are so many possiblites I cant name them. All I know is that Squall/Rinoa will be a definite one but not exactly the main one.
 
Disclaimer: I own no FFVIII characters or trademarks.
 
Chapter 3: Morning Sickness
 
The darkness of the coming night came quickly for Selphie Tilmitt. The usually upbeat and hyper girl sat in her private dorm and lay on her bed in akward silence. The air of her room was unusually cold and she took it upon herself to get an extra blanket for the night. She laid in her bed for what seemed like hours, waiting for sleep to overcome her but she couldnt stray from the thoughts of the day.
 
She started off thinking about the Garden Festival and the usual butterflys entered her stomach. Just the thought of the event gave her the jitters. However, the thought didnt stay in the girl's mind for long. Her thoughts soon drifted to the very strange event of the day. When she was sitting in the Library reading and her best friend Zell Dincht approached her. She still had trouble deciohering the martial artist's words. He had started out talking about hot dogs but the topic changed dramatically to, what Selphie thought, was her love life. Then Zell had sprinted out of the Library, screaming that it was Lunch time when the two of them had just come from lunch.
 
Trying to figure the event out gave Selphie a headache. She tried to change her mind flow and her wish was granted. Her thoughts strayed to the most recent event of the day. The strange disease that had seemed to overcome Rinoa earlier. Selphie had been updating the Garden Festival website when Zell came sprinting into the room and dragged her from the classroom. He'd brought her to the Infirmary where she saw her friend laying in the bed, in obvious pain and discomfort. The four friend had been excused from the Infirmary with the promise of visiting the next morning. Selphie was eagerly awaiting it seeing as how no one had taken the time to explain anything to her.
 
A yawn escaped Selphie's lips as her thoughts flowed through her mind. Eventually, the former-Trabia student thought herself to exhaustion. Her eyes fluttered momentarily and she finally dozed off into a dreamless sleep.
 
 
The morning sunlight shone through the cracks in the blinds of Instructor Trepe's dorm. Standing from her sleeping cot, she stretched lazily in her pink-peach pajamas before checking the clock and moving to her dresser to assemble the clothing for the day. She changed quickly into her Garden uniform, the usual skirt and blazer. Quistis went to the mirror to put her hair into her daily style. Tied back with her blonde bangs hanging nearly into her face. The Instructor kicked her shoes onto her feet before leaving the Domritory.
 
Quistis' footsteps resounded as she walked down the western hall. The morning crowd was about that consisted of only students who at morning classes and the janitorial staff. Qusitis paused momentarily to look around herself. None of her friends were in sight.
 
'They may already be at the Infirmary...' Quistis thought bitterly. It wasnt a good sign when the Instructor was late for their meeting. She chuckled lightly as she continued down the hall. She passed by the Quad entrance, the glowing sign that said 'Infirmary' was now in her sight. Quistis quickened her pace towards the Infirmary but her steps stopped as a weight dropped onto her back.
 
The Instructor stumbled foreward and nearly fell flat on her face but was lucky enough to regain her balance. Finding her composure once more, Quistis turned briskly around with her 'punishment' face on. She turned to regard the culprit and was not suprised to see who it was.
 
Lauching in her own manner, Selphie stood behind Quistis. She smiled and winked at Quistis, "You're laaate." She said in a mocking tone as she took step next to Quistis and they headed for the Infirmary together.
 
"and you arent?" Quistis said bitterly as she brushed herself off, "What do you think you were doing, Selphie?"
 
With a giggle she spoke, "I wanted a piggy back ride. Nothing wrong with that, is there?"
 
"Actually, yes there is." Quistis smiled easily at her friend, "I dont appreciate former students jumpng on my back while I'm walking. Unless they have my permission beforehand."
 
Selphie shrugged, "I'll keep that in mind." The two girls entered the threshold of the Infirmary, "Looks like we are late."
 
It did appear that the two were late. A familiar crowd was around a single Infirmary cot. It was easy to recognize the gang. The two leftover members entered the group, exhcanging hellos with their friends.
 
In the bed lay Rinoa. Her eyes were open and her face had regained some color. Her familiar grin was planted on her face as she looked at each of her friends. Squall stood near her. His face still had the same look of concern on it as the night before. Dr. Kadowaki was also nearby. The Doctor spoke, "Okay." She cleared her throat, "Now that all of you are here," Her eyes moved scoldingly to the two late attendees, "will you talk to us about last night, Rinoa?"
 
The girl who lay in the bed nodded slowly, "Yes." Her hands lay in her lap as she spoke, "Like Squall said, I was feeling really sleepy last night. It all started near the end of class when I nearly fell asleep during the lecture. Well, afterwards, I went to my dorm to change. That's when the headache started. It was mild at first. Normal but it started to get worse." She glanced at the Doctor, "I went to Squall's room and told him and he put me to bed. I couldnt sleep at all." She shook her head in a frustrated manner, "After awhile, the headache returned. It was horrible. The pounding was so loud and it hurt like... like, I cant explain it." Squall's hand patted her arm assuringly as she spoke, "Then I blanked out. I remember seeing Quistis standing over me and a bright light but nothing else."
 
Dr. Kadowaki nodded slowly, listening to Rinoa throughout the explanation. When she was done the doctor spoke, "I dont understand it." She said in a frustrated way, "It's very strange. You had no temperature but you were very cold. You felt like ice."
 
Rinoa sighed lightly, "I dont understand it either..."
 
"How do you feel know, Rinoa?" The doctor had been writing everything down but now set the notepad down.
 
"A little tired but I'm okay." She smiled weakly at the crowd.
 
"Do you think you need to stay here or do you want to go back to you're dorm."
 
"I can go back home." She said and caught a glance from Squall.
 
The male SeeD spoke up. His first words of the day, "You'll come home with me. You need someone to watch over you, Rinoa."
 
Quistis cleared her throat as she looked at Squall, "You're forgetting something, Squall." She waited a few moments for the answer but it never came, "The dorms are not co-ed."
 
Squall sighed and he crossed his arms, "You cant stay alone, Rinoa..."
 
As if on cue, Selphie's face brightened. Her hyperness kicked in and she started bouncing on the balls of her feet, "She can stay with me!" She said with a smile, "Would that be okay?!"
 
Squall looked down at his girlfriend, "It's up to her." He said as he watched her.
 
Rinoa's face brightened a bit and her smiled widened, "Alright." She said with a chuckle, "It'll be fun."
 
Selphie clapped her hands as she laughed, "Great! As happy as I was to get my own room when we became SeeDs, I kinda missed having a roomie. When can you move in?"
 
Rinoa thought a moment, "As soon as we get Zell, Irvine, and Squall to move my stuff."
 
The two girls laughed and the men of the group looked at eachother with a shrug. Squall smiled at his love's sudden change in personality. Glad to have his old Rinoa back, Squall motioned for the other two males in the room to follow, "We'll go get that done now. I'm sure Cid will be glad to switch you're guys' rooms to a student room."
 
Rinoa laughed and waved as Irvine and Zell reluctantly followed the SeeD. The girl looked up at Quistis, "What's happening in class today. I dont think I'll be attending."
 
Quistis smiled and shook her head, "You'll be excused. Study Hall, today so dont worry about getting behind. For now, just concentrate on getting better."
 
Rinoa smiled and did a two-fingered salute, "Yes, ma'am." She turned back to Selphie and regarded her happily, "We're gonna have a blast."
 
Selphie thrusted her hand in the air with a smirk, "You bet!" She calmed and crossed her arms, "How ya feeling now?" She asked, leaning into her friend.
 
"I dont know." Rinoa said with a shrug of her thin shoulders, "It was really wierd. I've never felt anything like it, really."
 
Quistis pushed her thin-framed glasses on her nose, "We'll do what we can to help you, Rinoa. I'm sure Dr. Kadowaki will find out what it was and take care of it in record time."
 
"I hope so..." She wrung her hands in front of her as she spoke meekly, "I need to tell you guys something."
 
"Anything!" The brunette girl on her right said happily.
 
"I didnt want to say anything in front of Squall because he'd worry too much and Zell would just tell him so I'm glad they're gone. Promise me you wont tell." The two other females promised in unison, "Okay... Last night, during the headache. Well, I heard something."
 
Quistis' face showed concern and concentration, "Like what?"
 
"It sounded like a man. I couldnt understand what he was saying but... he was yelling and he sounded angry." She shuddered, "I dont understand it."
 
"Maybe you were dreaming." The Instructor crossed her arms while thinking.
 
"Maybe... but it was so clear. I didnt understand what he was saying but his voice was so loud and angry. I was... scared."
 
Selphie's face showed concern as she reached down and put a hand on her friend's shoulder, "What do you think it means, Rinoa?"
 
She hugged her shoulders as she shook her head in defeat, "I dont know. The voice... it sounded like he was just saying gibberish. He made no sense. I tried to listen, to understand, but I was in so much pain. I just wish I understood."
 
Quistis also moved in to comfort her friend and student, "You will." She said with sympathy in her voice, "You'll be fine."
 
Rinoa looked up and smiled at her two friends, "Thanks. Dont tell anyone, alright?" The two nodded and the cheerful grin returned to Rinoa's young face, "Okay, then. I wonder when I'll be able to leave."
 
 
The Headmaster was very understanding when Squall came to him with his request. Cid Kramer nodded as he looked upon his favored student, "That's fine. There is an empty two-person dorm at the end of the Dormitory hall."
 
Squall nodded in thanks to the Headmaster as he stood at attention before him, "Thank you. We'll handle all the moving."
 
Cid nodded as he returned to his desk, "That's fine." He took a seat and leaned back. His aged face regarded the SeeD, "So, how is Rinoa doing. Dr. Kadowaki told me everything already."
 
"She's feeling much better but we dont know what's wrong." He appeared distraught as he spoke, "It was very sudden."
 
"The medical staff will do everything in their power to help Rinoa. Just relax. If they find anything out then I'm sure they'll inform you immediatly. For now, just relax and keep an eye on her."
 
Squall gave a quick salute, "Thank you, Sir. I should be going."
 
"Yes, yes. Go on and give Rinoa my regards. I hope she gets well soon."
 
"Yes, sir." Squall turned on his heel and marched out of the office. He took the elevator back down to the 1st Floor. The elevator stopped and Squall double-timed it down the hall. He hit the Dormitory and made his way to Rinoa's room where Irvine and Zell had already boxed up the girl's belongings.
 
Irvine's hat laid on the desk. He turned to see Squall and smiled at him confidently, "For a girl like Rinoa, she sure doesnt have a lot of stuff. This was a walk in the park." He dusted himself off.
 
Zell pushed the taller man with his free arm, "Whatever!" He growled, "You packed maybe two things. I had to do all the other work."
 
Irvine chuckled as he returned his black cap to his head, "I had to supervise. You have to have a plan when doing this kind of stuff, right, Squall?"
 
Squall crossed his arms and looked away from the two. He surveyed the work, "Whatever. Let's get this stuff over to the new dorm then we'll get Selphie's."
 
The two other men nodded in confirmation and began the transfer of the belongings to the dorm. Squall had to lead the way on the first trip but Irvine and Zell quickly remembered the way. The three men continued the job briskly with Zell rushing ahead of them and carrying the majority of the boxes and Irvine trailing somewhat. They got the work done in good time and contiued with Selphie's things.
 
Selphie's things took much longer to box up. She had several more things than Rinoa but they still got the packaging done in good time. They began transerring the boxes and found it took take more time as Rinoa's. Most of Rinoa's things were clothes while Selphie had several books and other objects that needed carrying. The three males got the job done in about a half hour and started back to the Infirmary to tell the other's that the moving was done.
 
They got back to the Infirmary quickly and reported that the moving had been completed. The men learned that Dr. Kadowaki had given Rinoa leave and she was all ready to head back to her new dorm room. Squall helped her from her bed and she stretched, glad to be free from the Infirmary cot.
 
Selphie clapped her hands as she looked at her new roomate, "Let's go! I cant wait to see our new room!"
 
Rinoa returned the excited glee as the six friends made their way to the Dormitory. Squall had to lead them to the dorm room and the two new occupants entered in a hyper happiness. They smiled together as they surveyed their new dorm.
 
"This is perfect!" Selphie bounced on the balls of her feet, "What do ya think?"
 
Rinoa smiled as she sruveyed the area, "I love it." She said with a laugh, "Exactly the same as my old dorm."
 
Squall crossed his arms, "The dorms are all designed the same. There isnt really any difference."
 
"Except for roomates." Selphie regarded him with a wink, "When I first moved here, I had to stay in a dorm like this. My roomie then was boring with a capital B!" She laughed and turned to Rinoa, "This time it'll be a lot better."
 
Rinoa gave the girl a thumbs up and turned to the three men of the group, "Thanks for the help. Now..." She pushed the males out of the room with both of her arms, "Us girls need to get situated." She turned away from them and waved her hand absently at them, "Go on, shoo! You can come by and check out the place later." She shut the door.
 
Quistis chuckled into her hand as Rinoa turned back to them, "I take it you guys need some help unpacking, right?"
 
Selphie nodded as she moved to her boxes, "That'd be great, Quisty. Thanks for the offer."
 
The three women started on the job of unpacking. They assembled the dorm to the occupants desire and took time to slack off then it was all done.
 
 
The day passed by uneventful. Everyone stopped by Selphie and Rinoa's dorm once more that day to check everything out and just hang out for awhile but they split up quickly. They went about their day as they usually would. They went off to their own tasks, wandering off alone or some together.
 
Irvine Kinneas and Squall Leonheart, for example, sat in the cafeteria near dinnertime. The two of them ate in silence until they finished their meals and settled back in their seats to regard the cafeteria.
 
Irvine broke the silence, "Squall, what are you thinking?" He asked, looked at the young man that sat across from him.
 
"About what?" The SeeD asked in an off-handed manner while he watched the people in the room eat their dinner. Engaged in their own affairs and conversations.
 
"You know what." He fiddled with his hat on the table, "About Rinoa."
 
He shrugged lightly as he turned his face back to the Cowboy, "I dont know."
 
"You think she'll be alright? She seemed pretty messed up last night."
 
"She seemed better today. Plus, Selphie is there. Dr. Kadowaki will find out what's wrong and help her. Until then, we cant do anything."
 
Irvine leaned back with a sigh, "I hope it was just a one time thing." Squall nodded and Irvine stood with a stretch. He placed the hat back on his head, "I'm gonna get going. Talk to ya later, man."
 
Squall stood and placed his tray in the discard line as Irvine exited the Cafeteria. The SeeD male took his own leave of the ever-crowding Cafe and walked down the mildly populated hall. He sighed as he walked. Irvine had gotten him thinking about Rinoa and Squall hated thinking.
 
Everything had been going perfect. Well, at least with him and Rinoa until last night. He felt the same way Irvine did. Helpless, worried, even frightened. The only thing he could do was hope that the attack wouldnt come back and that Rinoa would be fine. Although, deep down. Squall knew everything wasnt alright. He had a feeling that Rinoa would expirience the pain again. Squall wouldnt admit it, however. No. Doing that would be giving up.
 
Squall sighed as he came upon his dorm and entered. He sat down on his bed. He hated thinking! Perhaps he was spending too much time in the Garden. Yes, that was it. Tomorrow he would take a trip to Balamb. Maybe he'd bring Rinoa. Yes, a date. It had been weeks since the two of them had been on a decent date. Nodding to himself, Squall laid down in his bed for sleep.
 
 
The night came upon Garden silently. Students and SeeDs took to their beds for sleep. That included Rinoa and Selphie who were exhausted after their day of celebrating their new dorm together. The two girls went to their separate beds in a sleepy daze. Selphie fell asleep quickly, snoring quietly. She slept soundly in her warm bed, rolling over every now and then.
 
The night passed by fast in Selphie's sleep. Her rest was disturbed an hour or so before daybreak by the sound of whimpering and a light shout. Sitting up in her cot, she looked to the bed next to her and saw Rinoa tremlbing under her covers. Sitting up, she reached over and patted the girl on the arm, "Rinoa? Are you alright?"
 
The girl reacted to Selphie's touch and rolled over to look at her friend. Her face was calm but strange fear shown in her dark eyes, "Selphie." She said in a quiet voice, "I was dreaming."
 
"About what?" She now looked her friend in the face, concerned.
 
"It was wierd." She sat up and rubbed the tiredness from her eyes, "That voice I told you about. It was there. He spoke in gibberish again but this time... I could understand him." She shuddered.
 
"What did he say?"
 
Rinoa lip trembled ever so slightly as she spoke, "About me... He was angry still. It was scary."
 
"What did he say, Rinoa?" Selphie repeated the question.
 
"He said that... the time had come and that, um..." He thought a moment, "Retribution was at hand. He said something else..."
 
Selphie watched her friend in fascination and confused. Rinoa had trouble speaking and she shook her head, looking at the ground. Selphie frowned and patted her leg, "What?"
 
"He called me a Sorceress." She frowned heavily, "He said other things but I cant remember. I didnt understand it all, just bits and pieces. I dont know whats going on, Selphie..."
 
The girl rose and looked at her friend in confusion and concern, "Rinoa, come on. Let's go get Squall. He can help you."
 
Rinoa shook her head and motioned for Selphie to sit back down. She brushed her hair back, "Let's not tell him or anyone else yet, okay?" Her friend shook her head but Rinoa nodded, "Please, Selphie. He wants to take me out to dinner tomorrow. I dont want to ruin it, not just yet. I'll tell him later, I promise."
 
Selphie thought a moment but sighed, "Fine. I promise I wont tell."
 
Rinoa smiled, "We'll sort it all out in time, alright? Let's go back to sleep. I dont like lieing anymore than you do." She laid back down.
 
Selphie did the same with a sigh, "Someone's turning you into a bad girl, Rinoa. With all this lieing and sneaking around."
 
Rinoa laughed, "I wonder who that is." She said before letting loose and yawning.
 
"Me too." Selphie said before drifting off into another sound rest. Her snoring returning indicating that she was soundly asleep.
 
Rinoa did not go back to rest, however. The girl sat up in bed and reached to her neck. She felt the necklace and her hand traced it to the ring that hung by it. Her fingers stroked it as she thought about the dream. The frightening dream. She would not go back to sleep that night.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~