Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Strange Bedfellows ❯ Capturing Happiness ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~Nine~
 
Cloud lingered after everyone had left. He wanted to enjoy the silence within his mind, the warmth of peace. Some of his friends had left with Barret in a truck he'd managed to get a hold of, the rest had gone with Cid in his airship.
 
He supposed that he'd never be entirely sociable considering he enjoyed his solitude a bit too much.
 
Eventually Cloud made his way out of the chapel and began his long walk back to Edge. He wished that he knew what had happened to Fenrir and sighed softly as reality slowly began to sink in. How the hell was he going to make deliveries without transportation?
 
As he made his way through the debris and crumbling remnants of Midgar, he mused how everyone had once complained about the run-down sectors of the slums. He'd never imagined that the city could look worse and it was sickly amusing to be proved wrong.
 
There was a small road winding through the ruins due to the fact that occasionally someone got it in their head to try to clean up Old Midgar. It never lasted, of course. The only thing that remained was this one narrow road. Cloud's eyes scanned the twisted metal and broken concrete all around him, half-expecting to see the ruined shape of his bike.
 
It was then that Cloud heard the dull roar of a familiar engine in the distance. It was getting closer. He turned and watched as Fenrir moved toward him, driven by a very familiar red-head.
 
Cloud stepped off the road, silent and incredulous as Reno pulled up beside him. When the Turk pushed his sunglasses up his forehead, Cloud realized that he'd never been so happy to see him.
 
“You should be more careful with a sweet machine like this,” Reno drawled, “You're lucky I found it instead of some chop shop owner.”
 
“Thanks,” Cloud smiled faintly, “I don't know what I would do without it.”
 
Reno favoured him with a little lop-sided shrug, and their eyes met briefly, but it was enough to send shivers up Cloud's spine. He really did love Reno's eyes, the brightest shade of blue he'd seen outside of SOLDIER's ranks.
 
The silence stretched until it became deeply awkward. Reno fiddled with an unopened pack of cigarettes, slowly peeling off the cellophane and letting it drop onto the road at his feet. Cloud took a deep breath, wishing this could somehow be easier.
 
“Reno…listen…I'm….” Cloud stumbled over his words. He watched as Reno got off his bike only to lean against it casually. His tongue became leaden and mute under the intensity of his gaze.
 
Reno's sharp grin cut him off, “You look good, Cloud,” He stated abruptly, “like you finally got your head straightened out or something.”
 
Cloud smiled and it was almost as though nothing had ever changed. He was still careful nonetheless; he'd never been good at reading people and was hoping that he wasn't misunderstanding the warmth in Reno's eyes. Cloud tentatively closed the space between them and brushed his fingers over one high cheekbone, tracing along the sharp line of a tattoo.
 
Reno sighed softly as he leaned into his touch. His arms wrapped loosely around Cloud's waist. “Hmm,” he moaned softly, “So are we gonna kiss and make up or what?”
 
Cloud chuckled and touched his lips to Reno's lightly. The Turk very nearly growled when Cloud began to pull away a little too soon. His hands on Cloud's hips, he gripped him a bit tighter and turned the kiss into something fevered, open-mouthed, and lush.
 
Desire ignited the blood in his veins, made him feel hot and tight with sudden, voracious need. The time they'd spent apart seemed like years at that moment and Cloud found himself pressing closer to him and wishing they were in bed. He could feel one of Reno's hands moving up and under his shirt, stroking, touching him, making it hard to think.
 
“Seriously, though,” Cloud breathed against his mouth as their lips parted briefly, “I'm sorry.”
 
Reno smirked, rubbed the pad of his thumb against one of Cloud's nipples, “Yeah, yeah you should be. You're forgiven and all that crap. So…We're cool now?”
 
The pleasant sensation that Reno's touch was creating momentarily stole his breath and words. “Hmm…Yes, I'd say we're very cool now,” Cloud murmured when he could speak again.
 
Reno's blue eyes were narrowed with silent laughter, “So…You up for a little make up sex?”
 
“Just a little?” Cloud smirked, feeling almost playful.
 
This time Reno really did laugh and Cloud was amazed that he could still be in even a remotely good mood after the day's events. “Shit Strife, I've been up for three days straight, got my ass kicked by those mini-Sephiroths or whatever the fuck they were, and I seriously want nothing more than to crawl into the nearest bed with a bottle of whisky.”
 
“I fail to see how I'm included in this equation,” Cloud remarked dryly.
 
“Well…instead of a bottle of booze, I'll be taking you to bed. All things considered, I like this new plan a hell of a lot more.”
 
Cloud rolled his eyes as he reclaimed Fenrir; some things really didn't change. He felt Reno get on behind him and felt him wrap his arms around his waist comfortably. For a moment he lingered as Reno kissed the back of his neck and stroked his stomach beneath his shirt. Soon enough, they were on the road again, heading back to Edge.
 
For only a second did he wonder and worry about his friends' reaction if they saw them together. Cloud had been sick of life, but now he was just so tired of allowing anxiety and shame keep him from being happy.
 
Halfway to the small city, he realized that Reno was asleep. So much for the make up sex, Cloud thought wryly. He couldn't bring himself to hold it against the man. A sense of contentment settled over him as he realized that they had all the time in the world.
 
 
Finis.