Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Thank Goodness for Reality! ❯ Meet the Hojos! ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Usual IMPORTANT Stuff: Final Fantasy VII belongs to Squaresoft. Gomen, SailorLeo-san, but I went ahead and posted this up 'cause I won't be home till late tonight. And oh yeah, I'm a ROMANTIC FREAK!!!! *Ahem*, and now the story...

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The little girl squatted before the altar of a rundown church, pulling the weeds from the patch of dirt. She was too absorbed in her work that when she wiped her face of sweat, her hands smeared the dirt on her peachy skin. The annoying weeds were soon out of sight, and she smiled at the tiny buds peeking from the ground.

"Don't worry, little ones," she whispered, "just grow up beautiful and strong. You have Aeris here to protect you." She smiled and began humming a soft tune for the soon to be flowers. It wasn't too long that she stopped because she heard footsteps heading towards the church. She happily climbed to her feet when a boy, about five years older than her, ran into the sacred place.

Before the boy could say anything, Aeris grabbed his hand and pulled him over to her garden patch. Pointing to the buds, she said, "See, RuRu. I told you they'll bloom. They're grow really big, I just know it. And you promised to take care of them with me, if anything even grows. You PROMISED!"

He smiled, watching her tug at his sleeve with great insistence. "Okay okay, I will," he said. Taking her hand, he took a few meters away from the patch, and the two sat down on the ground. He dropped the backpack he had carried between them and then seriously looked at her. "Aeris, you know it's not safe walking about in the slums," he scolded.

"But I'm really okay. I took the secret path behind the church." She crinkled her nose at him and continued, "No one knows it, but you and me. And mom is nearby at her friend's house. She knows I'm here."

"Still," he said, looking at her with concern, "I don't want anything to happen to you. You're all I have left."

She stared at him, appalled at such words. "RuRu..."


Rhapsody of Tears

written by K-chan & Sailor Leo

Chapter One: Memories in Your Eyes


The whirl of the helicopter beated endlessly outside, like the steady rhythm of a heartbeat, but it was Aeris's heart that it couldn't compare to. Kidnapped once again, but for the second time, she was used to it--at least he didn't slap her across the face. She suddenly winced, not at the thought, but at the warm wetness against her leg. She looked down and saw Dark Nation getting aquainted with her.

It was strange to see the beast, that almost attacked her comrades, being friendly like a house cat, but then again she had same first impression when she encounter Red XIII in the glass cage. Unlike Red, Dark Nation didn't seem like it could talk, and even if she shouldn't judge on appearance, it still looked menacing to her.

She unknowingly scooted next to Rufus, who had left his arm around her shoulder ever since they boarded the helicopter. He had noticed her uneasiness, but this time, his animal companion was the cause. He watched her closely, enjoying her helpless expression that he found quite endearing about her, before leaning close to her face and whispered ardently against her ear, "Don't worry, he won't harm anyone until I give the word."

She relaxed a bit as Dark Nation curled up against her legs and rested, strangely finding comfort in a stranger than his master. Rufus pulled back from her as she nodded, avoiding eye contact with him. It was better off like this until she could figure out what to say to him, but she could feel his eyes on her, noting her every expression, her every move.

She turned her head towards the opposite direction of him and stared outside at the open skies. How odd that she would find that very moment the most peaceful time ever since the string of chaotic events began, beginning with Cloud's fall into the church. To most normal people, they would've panicked or just remain in a shell of frightened silence, but she wasn't normal at all. She knew that ever since she was able to understand things, but this was what saddened her at times because she didn't want to be different.

Rufus gripped her shoulder on impulse, not liking the stare she had for the skies, like he was afraid she might suddenly jump out of the helicopter just so her friends wouldn't be put in danger by trying to save her. His sudden action caused her to whirl her head towards him, and their eyes locked in a deep gaze, for the first time in years hiding none of their raw emotions. The silence continued between them, both afraid of breaking the serenity and make the other feel uncomfortable.

Such intensity blazed beneath those cold, blue eyes of his. She felt like she was drowning in the blue spheres from his longing gaze, and in them, she tried searching for the person she knew, remembered, and loved long ago.

So many memories flooded back to him, as if her beautiful, green eyes were replaying the flashbacks for him, begging him to remember her, but how could he ever forget her? How could he ever forget the one person that held his crumbling life together?

"Sir," the pilot interrupted their thoughts, and Aeris was the first to break the stare. Rufus silently cursed his luck, when he so wanted to forever be lost in her emerald eyes, and their memories. "We're about to land in Sector One and meet up with the other chopper."

"Fine," he replied coldly that made Aeris shiver. He noticed and thought she was chilly because of the weather, so he took off his coat and placed it around her. He looked away from her as the helicopter landed as smoothly as possible. They saw another helicopter in the next landing pad, and Aeris had to squint a bit to see a figure jumping out and running towards their chopper. As the person came closer, she immediately recognized the fiery, red-headed as the TURK who had orders to kidnap her. But one thing different about him was a cast around his right arm.

Rufus looked openly annoyed when the TURK climbed into their helicopter, filling the space with the smell of cigarettes. "Hey, Mister President!" he greeted, squishing himself next to Aeris who was promptly shoved into Rufus--not that he minded, but three's a crowd. "Sorry 'bout the cast. I got injured on the job..."

"What are you doing here, Reno?" the blonde said, trying to remain civilized. "You're supposed to be with Tseng and the others."

"Don't ya think I'd know that, Mister President?" Reno replied as he searched his pockets for a pack of cigarettes, "Tseng kicked me out after I said some stuff to the girl... Eilene, or Relena... or something. Anyway, I'm crashing with you over here... if you don't mind." He found what he wanted and took out a cigarette and stuck it between his lips. It was then that he decided to carefully look at the other occupant between him and Rufus.

"Say, you're that gorgeous Ancient girl," he smirked, taking out a lighter. "It's a good thing I came over here." He winked devilishly at Aeris, and that made Rufus's frown deepened.

"She has a NAME: Aeris," Rufus informed the TURK, "And you will treat with respect while she is a guest."

"Yes, sir!" Reno saluted, still smiling, and gave Aeris another wink.

Rufus then yanked the unlit cigarette from Reno and flicked it out the window, "No smoking in here, and as you can see you're making Aeris uncomfortable, so it's the front seat for you."

"Aawe, do I have to?!" he pouted, which made Aeris giggle. She would've never known he was a TURK if she hadn't been informed of it. He looked so harmless with the childish behavior and definitely with the cast on.

Rufus stared at the giggling Aeris, surprised at her brightness in mood. It was an adorable sight to see, reminding of all the times that they laughed together. Seeing her smiling made him smile too, and the weakness for the girl was completely written all over his face.

Reno smirked and gave in, "Oh, alright." He made his way to the front and sat in the empty seat by the pilot, who let them know that they were taking off now.

As the helicopter was ascending into the air, Aeris looked puzzled and finally spoke, "Where are we going?"

The red-head looked back at her and grinned, "You've got a one-way ticket out of this dump."

"We're going to Junon," Rufus clearly answered, without looking at her. He was eager to get to the port city, but it would take a few hours to get there. There was so many things he wanted to say, but he certainly didn't want an audience right now. Plus, he might lose himself to his emotions, which he wouldn't let no one else but her see it. He still had a reputation to uphold.

Aeris turned to him slightly but realized he wasn't looking at her at all, so she lifted up her face a bit more and stared at his profile. She couldn't deny he was a very handsome man. The way his loose, golden bangs fell over his eyes was attractive, and she smiled at that. She wanted to reach her hand out and brush them back to see those blue orbs.

Her subconsciousness took over, and it didn't register in her mind until her hand was inches away from him, and he had faced her, staring at her in mild surprise. She looked at her hand and then to his face and finally pulled it back, blushing. She clasped her hands together in her lap, shyly staring at them. "I'm sorry," she said quietly, "RuRu..."

There was no way he couldn't smile at the sweet image before. He pulled her close to him, letting her head rest against his chest, and he placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head. "'RuRu'," he sighed, "I haven't heard that name in such a long time. Those times... where did they all go?"

"No where," she answered in a whisper, closing her eyes. She enjoyed the warm feeling against him, the same feelings when they embraced as children. She placed her hand on his chest, where his heart laid, "They have always been here."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The rebellious group of four had just escaped through the gates of Midgar and were now settling on what to do next. Barret had insisted that they head to Junon right away since that was Rufus's territory, but Tifa interjected, "We need to get to a safe place first. We just can't decide things on impulse."

"Fine!" Barret grumbled. "There's a town not too far from here. We can go there."

"Alright," Cloud nodded and looked down to the red feline-like creature, "What about you, Red? Will you join us in rescuing Aeris?"

"I'll go with you as far as Cosmos Canyon," he replied.

"Now that's settled. Let's move out!"

Before the blonde could make a move, Barret bopped him on the head, "Whacha think ya doin', Spikey? You sould like you're the leader or somethin'!"

Tifa crossed her arms over her chest and smirked, "Well he's been doing a good job of it, so I think he SHOULD be the leader of the team from here on out. What do you think, Red?"

The creature just shrugged, "Fine by me."

"It's decided then!" she cheered and hugged an unsuspecting Cloud. He blushed and accepted the position without any objections while Barret mumbled something about it being unfair.


TO BE CONTINUED...

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Yaay, you guys are enjoying this and want more! Awesome, I'm just very happie about it!! THANKYOUTHANKYOU, KrystalClear-san, Mint-san, Lila-san, Casey-san, Ivory-san, and especially SailorLeo-san!!! And Ivory-san, you just gotta work on your AeRuf story!!!! Think of all the AeRuf fans who are dying for more!!!

Anyway, I had to get this chapter out 'cause SailorLeo-san just motivated me with the piece she wrote. She'll be helping me out with this, and I welcome others to help too!! I guess you could say it has reader participation--as to what you'd like to see, where the story should head too, and the like! I just have one requirement: that it be AeRuf throughout.

I hope you like the flashbacks at the beginning of the chapters. For some reason, I left their ages out of this flashback, but Aeris is like 9-ish while Rufus is about 14. I should have one more kawaii flashback left in my head for the next chapter.

Okies, I think I've spent lots of time on RoT... *blink, blink* Rot? rot? Rot? Omigod, it's "ROT"!! AHAHAHA!!! [rolling on the floor, laughing her head off]

SD-Aeris: *sigh* Now she'll get back to work on Innocent Seduction.
SD-Reno: [happily, punches the air] Yeah baby!
SD-Aeris: *blush*
SD-Reno: *wink, wink*