Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Concept of... ❯ For The Light of Day ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Concept of...
 
Summary: Gaia, finally finding peace after a long while, is once again rocked as a group of radicals rise up and begin to eradicate the royals from the world. In the heat of the fray, can light shine once more?
 
Rating: PG-13+
 
Fandom: Final Fantasy IX
 
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama, Continuation
 
 
Chapter Two
For The Light of Day
 
The Sun was slowly making it's way towards the horizon, trying effortlessly to meet that resting place beyond the hills and allow the moon to come out and take over for the night.
 
Just like the Sun, the trio of travelers also made their way across the countryside towards some unreachable place.
 
Garnet, or Sarah as she was known as, sighed deeply as she looked up at the blue sky. Beads of sweat stood out on her forhead, her dyed blonde locks plastered to her skin.
 
Mikoto looked behind her to see Garnet pause and crossed her arms, "We must keep moving."
 
"Why?" She questioned with a bit of defiance, "Why must be move at such a quick pace? What are we running from?"
 
With a irritated grunt, Cole spun around and stared at the dethroned queen. Her crossed his arms over his darkly clad chest and frowned. The man wore nearly all black and was still not sweating. His dark black locks with the single white bang seemed completely unmovable on his head.
 
The man gritted his teeth in aggravation, "We've been resting for the past three days. The least we can do is move for one, damn day."
 
"Without rest?" Garnet questioned, staring at the cold man. "This is inhuman!"
 
Mikoto chuckled and shrugged, "Inhuman? Look who your talking to."
 
Garnet and Mikoto shared a laugh while Cole simply rolled his eyes and turned around, "We'll keep moving."
 
"Since when were you the leader of this group?" Demanded Garnet, standing her ground with arms crossed.
 
Cole sighed once more, "Since I was put on this damned job."
 
"And who's telling you to do this?"
 
Mikoto grinned, "Nice try but it's not quite time to tell you yet."
 
The blonde girl snapped her fingers and shrugged, "Can't blame me for trying."
 
"Of course not." Mikoto laughed and looked at her comrade, "How about a break, Cole?"
 
Cole stared at the genome and frowned deeply. He sighed and turned around, "We'll rest at that rock range over there."
 
Garnet squinted to see the range of rocks in the distance and sighed, "Fine."
 
Mikoto nodded with a smile, "Then let's keep going."
 
The three continued across the countryside in silence, save for Mikoto's occassional comment about the area. Aside from her original trip to Gaia, she'd never been on any other continent save for the Mist Continent.
 
Eventually, the trio made their way to the range that Cole had designated as their rest place. Garnet immediatly took a seat on a large stone and let out a sigh of releif. Mikoto dropped her bag and took out a few cans of few which she passed around. Cole took a seat a few feet away, resting his sheathed sword acros his lap.
 
Garnet smiled over at the dark man and laughed, "See? This isn't so bad, is it?"
 
Cole grunted, "Whatever you say."
 
Mikoto smiled and opened her can of preserved food. She took out a plastic fork and prepared to take a bite. The fork never made it to the can however, as it was taking from her grip by some projectile.
 
The broken can of food fell a few feet away and a short throwing knife landed only a few inches from it. Everyone jumped to their feet just a group of at least six masked figured emerged from hiding.
 
The lead masked man stepped forward and laughed in a snake-like voice. The man stood only about 5;6 and wore a dark blue uniform with a blue bandana covering his mouth. He also held a curved-sword in his right hand. All the men behind him wore similar costumes but with an assortment of weapons.
 
The first man rested the sword on his shoulder and laughed, "Sorry to interuppt your meal, folks but we're gonna have to ask ya to give over your valuables."
 
Cole stepped forward, unsheathed his blade.
 
"We don't wanna have to kill you all." The man said with a throaty laugh, "You sorry folks are just unlucky enough to be spotted by the Blue Graal Thivery Guild!" At the name, the six figures struck different poses, shouting the word 'Graal' loudly.
 
Cole broke out in laughter at the sight of the poses, Garnet and Mikoto couldn't help but grin as well.
 
The leader of the group's eyes widened and he stepped forward, "Y-you dare laugh at the Blue Graal Thievery Guild?!"
 
Cole regianed his composure and shrugged, "Couldn't help it."
 
"How dare you! We'll tear you limb from limb!" The man looked back at his comrades, "Kill the bastard!"
 
The first man to the left of the leader removed a throwing knife from his belt. His hand moved in a flash and sent the dagger flying towards Cole, who deflected the blade with a flick of his own sword.
 
The man stepped back in shock, "H-he deflected it?"
 
The leader growled, "So what?! Kill him!"
 
The first four men immediatly took off towards Cole. The dark man simply fell back into a defensive position, a maddening grin standing out on his tan features.
 
Garnet wrung her hands together, "You think we should help?"
 
Mikoto sighed and dismissed her, "Definately not. He needs to releive some stress." She turned around and waved for Garnet to follow, "Let's leave him alone."
 
As the two females left, Cole made contact with the leader of the group. The blue man attempted to swing down on Cole with his blade but Cole easily deflected the blow and delivered a kick to the man's abdomen. Another thief, this one wiedling a spear, tried to attack from the side.
 
This time, Cole did a backflip and landed a few feet from the spearman. He slashed downwards with his blade, taking the tip of the spear off. The man shouted and tried unaffectively to block a roundhouse kick form Cole.
 
As the spearman fell to the ground, another swordsman invaded. Cole took the man on directly, parrying two blows before attempting to land one of his own. The man brought up his blade to deflect the blow but fell back from the brute strength of his darkly-clade opponent. Cole took the oppertunity to run the man through with his sword.
 
One he pulled the sword free from the man, Cole was once again attacked. This time he was invaded from two sides. A man wielding a heavy mace attacked from the left while the leader, who had regained his blade, was attacking from the right. Cole first parried a blow from the swordsman and ducked under a attack from the mace. He ran his shoulder into the mace-wielding, knocking him backwards then blocked yet another attack from the swordsman.
 
Now it was Cole's turn. He brought his blade up, slamming his elbow in the mace-wielders nose at the same time. Blood grushed from the obviously broken nose as the group's leader and Cole's blades connected. They went back and forth for a minute before the man with the daggers attacked from behind.
 
The knife-thrower grabbed Cole from behind, holding onto his wrists in an attempt to give his companion an open attack, Cole's blade falling from his hands and landing a few feets away. However, as the leader brought his blade down, Cole planted his feet and brought his body around, causing him to slash right through the shoulder and back of his friend.
 
The man released with a shout of pain and Cole rolled away from the battle. He was about to pick up his sword when a foot slammed down on the hilt. Cole looked up to see another blue-clad thief. This thief held a short sword in his left hand and leered down at Cole.
 
The thief attempted to pierce Cole as he sat on the ground but he was too quick. Cole pushed forward, flying through the open legs of thief and rolling to his feet behind him. The man twirled around in shock and Cole took the chance to do a forward roll, grabbing his sword as he did so and rising to pierce the juggular of the shocked thief.
 
Cole stood and looked behind him to see the leader of the gang standing in shock. The man's eyes widened as he stepped back, dropping his sword as he did so. The man dropped to his knees, begging for Cole not to take his life.
 
The dark-clad man laughed and tapped his bloody blade against his leg, "Pathetic."
 
As Cole looked at the fallen man, a sound was heard to his right. He looked over to see another blue-clad thief run into view. The man panted heavily as he emerged.
 
"Don't worry!" The new arrival shouted, "He's on his way!"
 
The leader nodded and immediatly got off his knees. He laughed as he looked at Cole, "Now your gonna be sorry. Big Guy's coming."
 
Cole sighed, "Another measily thief, eh? Is this one over five feet tall?"
 
The thief inhaled deeply, "How d-dare you mock the Blue Graal Thiev-"
 
"I heard the title before." Cole rolled his knees, "Well, bring on your Big Guy."
 
He didn't have to wait long as someone emerged from a series of rocks. The man stood well over six foot tall with a big mass of red hair and a red goatee. The man wore a pair of black pants and a matching black sleeveless shirt. A strange, claw-like gautlet was place on his hand.
 
The tall, red-headed man stood a few feet away and crossed his arms as his little companion ran behind him. "Now you'll be sorry! Our Big Guy's here now!" The man looked up at the red-head, "Get'm Red!"
 
The man sighed, "I'm gonna need more money."
 
The leader stepped away and nodded shyly, "Uh, y-yeah. Whatever you want, just kill this guy, okay, Red?"
 
Red shrugged his shoulder and stepped forward. He towered over Cole and looked down at him with a serious expression.
 
Cole took a defensive stance once more, "Your big, alright but your still just another pathetic thief."
 
A smirk seemed to creep across Red's lips as he rear back for his attack. He jumped forward, his claw-like weapon speeding towards Cole with much more speed than any of the other thieves.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------
 
Garnet chewed her rations slowly, not enjoying the taste at all.
 
Her and Mikoto sat in another circle of rocks a good distance away from the battle. Still, they could easily hear the sound of weapons clashing as they ate.
 
Garnet frowned as she heard the sounds, "Is there something wrong with him?"
 
Mikoto took a bite of her food, "With who?"
 
"Cole."
 
"Why do you ask that?" Mikoto asked, looking up at Garnet.
 
"All he seems to do is want to fight." She said, looking at the ground for a moment, "He just seems so... cold."
 
Mikoto sighed, "To tell the truth, I don't know him that well. I only met him a few days before the invasion of Alexandria. All I know is that he's a remarkable fighter and a trustworthy man."
 
"Who told you that?"
 
Mikoto sighed, "Our leader, someone you will learn the identity of in time."
 
Garnet leaned back and nodded, "Alright. No use trying, huh?"
 
"I suppose not." Mikoto said with a light smile.
 
The sounds of the battle seemed to grow closer until it seemed like they were right upon them. Suddenly, a loud smack was heard and the sounds paused. A second later, Cole flew into view and landed on his back a little ways away.
 
Cole cursed and stood, "You big, red bastard!" He shouted as he sprinted back into the distance and the sounds once again picked up.
 
Mikoto blinked a few times, "Seems like he's having some trouble."
 
"You think?" Garnet stood, grabbing her rod as she did so.
 
"Let's investigate." Mikoto said as she stood as well.
 
Together, the two girls emerged from their hiding and looked upon a two perosn duel. Both men were covered in scratches and bruises but niether seemed to be gaining any ground. However, Garnet couldn't seem to break her gaze from the large, red-headed man.
 
The man prepared to engage Cole once more but glanced over for a minute at the two newcomers. His eyes met with Garnet's and he paused, staring at the girl for a moment.
 
"You..." He mumbled but was caught off as Cole's shoulder connected with his chest, sending him falling to the ground.
 
Garnet shouted for Cole to stop and ran over to the tall man, kneeling down beside him. The man grunted and shook her off, taking to his feet on his own.
 
"So, it's you." The tall man said as he stood, putting his hands on his hips.
 
She smiled and looked up at him, "It's been awhile, Amarant."
 
Cole looked between the two with eyes blazing in anger and confusion. He fumbled with his words for a moment before speaking, "You two... know eachother."
 
Garnet looked at the man and nodded, "We're old friends." She turned back to Amarant, "Are you a thief now?"
 
The tall man shook his head, "Mercenary. The Graals have been fighting another guild for awhile and hired me to give them some kind of edge."
 
Mikoto had managed to get Cole to sheath his blade, he now stood a few yards away, breathing heavily.
 
Amarant crossed his arms over his chest, "I heard you were dead." He said to Garnet blatantly, "Heard you were killed when Alexandria was taken over."
 
She simply shook her head, "No. I escaped and I've been hiding with these two for awhile."
 
He looked up at the other two. He looked at Mikoto for a moment, seeming to recognize her. "Your Zidane's... sister?"
 
"You could say that." She said with a nod. She motion towards her black-clad man. "This is my companion Cole. I beleive you two have met."
 
Amarant turned back to Garnet, "So, where is hero-boy anyways?"
 
Garnet grew quiet and put her hands behind her back, "I haven't a clue..."
 
"I see." The big guy thought a moment, "Where are you heading?"
 
Mikoto stepped forward, "We're traveling north for now. Just trying to avoid the tide for now."
 
Amarant nodded, "I suppose I'll come as well."
 
"What?" Garnet looked up at the man in surprise. She really didn't know Amarant that well, despite pretty much saving the world with him and really didn't expect that type of response from him. "You mean with us?"
 
"Of course." He said with a shrug, "Seems like the right thing to do."
 
Garnet nodded quickly and turned to Mikoto, "Is that alright."
 
Mikoto smiled lightly, "We could use all the help we can get."
 
Cole grunted and turned away. "I don't care who is coming but let's go."
 
The ex-queen laughed lightly, "I guess you're in."
 
Amarant nodded and turned around to follow the group, "Then let's get going."
 
She nodded briskly, "Right."
 
-------------------------------------------------------------
 
Night overtook the city of Alexandria. Light blazed in the homes of residents but everything was deserted. All life in the city was now gathered at the docks where Magus Kingsfield II, leader of The Fire, was supposed to be giving a speech. Only a few drunks and stray animals wandered the streets. Plus, a few mysterious strangers.
 
Zidane ran his hand over the hilt of his dagger, which was now hidden under his robes. He stood only a few inches from the castle's wall, looking up at the large climb ahead of him.
 
Glancing behind him, Zidane nodded to the six other members of Steiner's resistance who were part of his group. He'd only met them a bit on the flight from Dali to Alexandria and now stood ready to scale the castle's walls with them.
 
Steiner's group was proabably already in position, standing within the crowd watching the speech. Beatrix's group would be ready in moments, ready to attack as soon as Zidane's group began their own invasion.
 
With a deep sigh, Zidane grabbed a hold of one of the crude bricks and began his trek up the wall. Behind him, the others did the same.
 
The climb up the wall took only a few minutes for him but much longer for his comrades. As soon as everyone stood on the long gang-plank that circled the top of the castle, they began their stealthy walk across.
 
The docks glowed below, with hanging candles perched across long wires that hung from the top of the castle to the stage where Magus Kingfield now stood. Zidane looked down at the talking man with anger.
 
The man wore long red robes. His hair was shortly-cropped and dark. His face seemed completely without character, his eyes looked like deep pools of white with little black specks in the center for pupils. The man spoke loudly and confidently, although it was impossible for Zidane to hear.
 
Zidane turned around to look at the others. He nodded to them as he climbed to the edge of the castle and grabbed a hold of one of the wires. He silently prayed that the long, thin wires would hold his weight. Swallowing hard, Zidane held on hard and finally jumped over the edge.
 
It felt like he was falling for a moment before the wire caught him and he felt himself gliding down it. The hanging lights broke as he smashed through them and it wasn't much longer before he heard the shocked shout of the crowd below.
 
Zidane stared forward, looking directly into the fast approaching figure of Magus Kingfield. The man attempted to move out of the way but was not fast enough as Zidane let go of the wire and flew straight for the man. Both his feet smashed into the chest of the man, sending him flying backwards as Zidane landed heavily on the stage.
 
Chaos ensued as soldiers rushed to guard their leader. Zidane looked around and saw Steiner's group flying from the crowd. To his right, Beatrix's group was storming the stage, attempting to cut off Kingfield and his soldiers from the vessels in the harbor.
 
Zidane reached into his coat and withdrew his two daggers. He immediatly flew into action, smashing both his blades into the chest of the nearest black-clad soldier.
 
It was chaos all around as members of the resistance engaged soldiers. The crowd attempted to flee from the scene, causing a devastating mob. Innocent civilians were trampled in the mad dash. Soldiers attempted to break up the crowd and make their way to the stage but were unable to stop the fleeing citizens.
 
Zidane's eyes scanned the stage, looking for Kingsfield. Finally, he caught sight of the flaming red robes attempting to flee for the docks. He set off towards the man, cutting through whoever got in his path.
 
As he approached, he saw others fight. He saw both enemy soldiers and his own comrades die in their own blood. Old memories came back to him as he saw Steiner wielding his blade in battle and Beatrix fight valiantly through mobs of enemy soldiers.
 
He was withen fifteen yards of Kingsfield when someone unfamiliar blocked his path.
 
Zidane brought up his daggers to cut down the foe but he was surprised to be knocked off his feet by the man. He fell to the ground and landed on his back, peering up at the individual in shock.
 
The man wore darkly colored trousters with a white undershirt and a black jacket that hung to the middle of his back. A smirk stood out on his pale face and his flaming red locks blew in the breeze. He held two long blades in his hands, both were straight with strange hilts that covered both of his hands.
 
The blonde pushed himself to his feet and stood to face the new enemy. He engaged the man, both of their weapons locks. He grunted under the strain and broke the attack. He stepped back and once again attempted to attack the man but was once again parried.
 
Now it was the red-head's turn. The man flew forward, becoming almost a blur. His knee slammed into Zidane's gut, causing saliva to fly from his lips. Zidane seemed to go in slow motion as the hilt of the man's blade smashed into the back of his head, sending him flying to the ground.
 
Zidane coughed as he pushed himself back up. He looked forward just in time to see the man's booted foot come flying and smash into his face. His head snapped back and Zidane was sent flying backwards. He landed a few feet away, staring up at the night sky.
 
He blinked a few times and pushed himself up once more to look at his foe. The man smiled brightly, twirling both swords in the air as he stared at Zidane. There was something shockingly familiar about the male even though Zidane had never met the man in his life. Still, there was something familiar in his face.
 
A shout from behind caught the stranger's ears and he turned his head around to see a vessel taking off. Kingsfield stood at the back of the boat, watching the battle unfold behind him.
 
Zidane cursed as the man turned back around to look at him. He smiled and shrugged, "Time for me to go." He said audibly and turned around. The boat was a good twenty yards out to see by now but the man continued on his way. He stopped at the edge of the dock and jumped into the air. He flew through the air and landed at the crouch on the vessel.
 
The man got to his feet and stood next to Kingsfield, his eyes staying locked on Zidane as he departed. The blonde cursed loudly as he watched the boat sail off into the distance.
 
And the fires burned behind them.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
The morning sunlight broke across the horizon. The bright sun shot into the sky, once again beginning it's long trek across the sky only to begin another night.
 
The sun met the eyes of Garnet til Alexandros. She sat up in her small, uncomfortable bed and looked around. Cole was gone and Mikoto was just arising from her slumber. Amarant sat a few feet away poking at the last few embers of the fire from the night before.
 
Garnet pushed her blankets away and stood. The morning air was chilly and she stretched in the breaking daylight. They had set up camp near the beach and she could look out across the sea. A boat with light sails could be seen in the distance, it looked familiar.
 
The former queen's eyes widened and glistened in the light. She put her hands together and smiled brighlty, "It's them!" She shouted, causing everyone within range to look at her. "It's Alexandria!"
 
Mikoto and Amarant stood next to her, gazing out at the vessel.
 
"That is the Alexandrian seal." Amarant commented, crossing his arms over his chest.
 
Garnet smiled, "It is them! Alexandria is here!"
 
Someone grabbed Garnet's shoulder from behind. She glanced across her shoulder to see Cole standing behind her, shaking his head slowly. His face showed complete determination as he looked out to sea.
 
"Get everything ready." Cole said coldly, "We must leave."
 
Garnet whirled around, "Are you kidding? It's Alexandria!"
 
Cole frowned, "That is not our friends." He spat, "It's them."
 
Mikoto and Amarant busied around the area, getting everything ready to leave. Cole cursed and picked up his sword. He slung the blade across his waist and began gathering his own things.
 
Garnet turned around to look at the sea and shook her head, tears appearing in the corners of her eyes. More ships were appearing on the horizon, these wore different sails. They were black with a red flame in the center.
 
She stepped back as the first tears ran down her cheeks. Comforting arms grabbed her from behind and she looked up at the familiar face of Amarant. He nodded to her in comfort and the two of them turned to leave.
 
Alexandria would not be coming today but war would.
 
Garnet ran across the grass with Amarant at her side and Mikoto and Cole leading the way. Tears still rolled down her face as she ran and only one thought was on her mind.
 
Zidane, where are you?
 
To Be Continued...
 
Author's Ramblings
Sorry for the exceptionally long wait but my internet has been on the fritz lately. I'm really trying to move the plot along but it's hard without giving out a lot of details. For anyone who has read my original fiction (and I doubt there are any) then you'll know that I like to keep a lot of secrets while writing. I hope everyone sticks with this story as it is definately moving up my chain of prioritys right now. Please review, I do love them a lot.
 
By the way, I hope you all are happy about the addition of Amarant.
 
Until next time.