Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Concept of... ❯ Keep Fighting for Yesterday ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Concept of...
 
Summary: Gaia, finally finding peace after a long while, is once again rocked as a group of radicals rise up and begin to eradicate the royals from the world. In the heat of the fray, can light shine once more?
 
Rating: PG-13+
 
Fandom: Final Fantasy IX
 
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama, Continuation
 
 
Chapter Three
Keep Fighting For Yesterday
 
The breeze blew over Zidane's face, burshing his blonde locks gently and sending a salty, refrreshing taste into his mouth. The sound of the wind wrestling with sheets of fabric and of waves crashing filled the air, as well as a few voices from the area.
 
Zidane opened his eyes gently and looked up at the pure blue sky that loomed overhead. His hands rested gently behind his head as he lay on a long, wooden bench aboard the small Alexandrian vessel that someone had commondeered shortly after the battle at the harbor.
 
Sighing, the thief sat up and looked around at the seemingly endless sea. He blined as he turned his head around to look behind him and smirked as he saw the coast of a continent looming in the distance.
 
Zidane heard footsteps approaching and turned his head just in time to see Beatrix stop in front of him. She crossed her arms, having her usual dutiful look painted on her eye-patch clad face.
 
"Nice to see you're awake." Beatrix said with nearly a grin, "Enjoying the trip."
 
"It's relaxing, yeah." Zidane said as he hopped up and walked over to the rail of the vessel, "So, you never told me, who stole this ship? I don't know many people in your little organization that can manuever and ship as well as these guys have."
 
Now a smirk did cross Beatrix's face, "Specialists. They arrived from the Lindblum resistance just in time for the mission."
 
A puzzled looked crossed the boy's face as he turned around just in time to see a door slam open and a few familiar figures emerge. Zidane's brows raised as he stared upon the faces of the 'specialists.'
 
A loud laugh emerged from the large, bearded man's gut. "What's with you? You act like you've seen a ghost."
 
Zidane stepped forward and blinked a few times, "Blank? Cinna? Marcus? Baku? You're the specialists from Lindblum Resistance?"
 
The red-headed Blank crossed his arms and smirked, "We kind of are the Lindblum Resistance."
 
Cinna nodded, waving his trusty hammer in the air as he did so. "Beatrix and Steiner got ahold of us just in time and we rushed over to lend a hand. Seems like you guys sure needed it."
 
Marcus nodded, straightening the bandana on his head. "We've been working underground in Lindblum ever since the Regent's disappearance but this is the first we've actually done as a faction."
 
"I guess we chose an appropriate time too." Baku said, letting out another loud laugh. "I guess the mission didn't quite go as well as you'd planned."
 
Zidane crossed his arms and frowned, "It wasn't my plan."
 
"There was nothing wrong with the plan!" A booming voice shouted from behind. Zidane turned his head just in time to see Steiner emerge from below deck. "The plan should have worked perfectly."
 
"If the plan had worked then Kingsburn wouldn't be breathing." Zidane spat.
 
"Well if someone would have just taken the bastard out when he had the chance then we wouldn't be having this conversation!"
 
"So, you're saying it's my fault, Rusty?" Zidane growled, stepped up so that he stood only a few inches from the former captain.
 
"That's exactly what I'm saying."
 
Beatrix stepped in-between the two and attempted to push them apart, "This is no time for petty arguments!"
 
"It's all been your fault, you scoundrel!" Steiner bellowed, his face growing red with anger. "Everything that's happened is because of you. I trusted you."
 
Zidane balled his hands into fists and prepared to lunge at the man when someone grabbed his arms. He snarled and looked behind him to see Marcus and Cinna holding him back.
 
Baku stepped in front of him, blocking his view. He shook his head slowly and crossed him arms. The large man sighed before bringing his large fist in to punch Zidane right in the gut.
 
Cinna and Marcus let go of his arms and Zidane fell to one knee, holding his stomach while breathing heavily. "....what was... that... for...?" He panted in between coughs.
 
"For letting your stupid emotions get the best of you." Baku said, crossing his arms. "I thought you were tougher than that, kid."
 
Zidane regained his breath and stood. He spat and turned around, preparing to head back into the cabin.
 
Blank leaned against the wall next to the door, arms folded across his chest. He shook his head as Zidane walked past him, "Get ahold of yourself, you idiot. Your never gonna save that girl of your's acting like that."
 
Zidane paused a moment to send a glare at Blank before storming into the cabin, slamming the door behind him.
 
Cinna leaned against one of the rails and sighed. The deck had cleared out, leaving only the four former-thieves alone. "Has he... given up?"
 
"It's not like Zidane to just quit." Marcus added, shaking his head.
 
"If he gave up then why's he still fighting?" Cinna asked, thinking a moment. "You think the Queen is really..."
 
"Hogwash!" Baku shouted, slamming his foot into the deck. "Zidane can give up all we want but we wont give up on him."
 
"That's right." Cinna nodded, clenching his hammer. "He's our brother!"
 
"And no matter what happens, he's a member of Tantalus!" Marcus said with a firm nod.
 
"That's what I wanna hear!" Baku said with a hearty laugh, "Now get to work! We gotta lot to do if we wanna land this baby on the shore!"
 
"Yes, boss!" Cinna and Marcus shouted as they did the signature Tantalus signal before running off.
 
Blank stayed behind, leaning against the rail and gazing out at the sea. "What do you think he's fighting for, boss?"
 
Baku sighed and crossed his meaty limbs, "Well, if he beleives The Fire took his girl, then I'd say revenge."
 
"He's changed." Blank said, slowly shaking his head, "Not for better, either."
 
The two stood in silence for a long moment before Baku snorted, "Well, no matter, what we gotta worry about now is The Fire and their next move. Since they just landed at The Forgotten Continent, it's our job to try to warn the people as soon as possible."
 
Blank turned around and nodded, "I'll man the wheel, boss."
 
The red-head ran off, leaving Baku to himself. He looked at the shore that got ever closer. He sighed to himself and scratched his beard as he watched it approach.
 
"Get it together, son." He said quietly to himself, "For all of us."
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
 
Small tears formed in the corners of the small, black-haired child that sat on the red carpeted steps of Castle Alexandria. She sat with her head in her hands, pouting to no one in particular.
 
Footsteps from behind caught the child's ears but she refused to turn around until the strong, husky voice of the woman called her name.
 
"Garnet?" The woman asked stepped around her to stand in front of the girl, "What's wrong, my dear?"
 
The little girl sniffed and looked up at her large mother. Tears streamed from her eyes as she looked at the woman. "I... I lost my doll, mother."
 
"Your doll?"
 
"My Princess Cornelia doll." She said after a quick hiccup, "I can't find it anywhere."
 
"There's no need to cry over such a thing, Garnet." Brahnne said as she nealed down. It was difficult for her to kneel down to eye-level with the child but she endured the pain nonetheless, "I'm sure we can find another one."
 
"It's not that mother." Tears rolled down the child's cheeks, "It's the doll that Father gave me before he... left. It's the only thing I have to..."
 
The Queen's eyes lowered and she nodded slowly. With a sigh, she looked up into her child's eyes and forced a loving smile, "Your father will always be in your memories, dear. He'll always be with you, no matter what happens."
 
Garnet wiped a few tears from her eyes and nodded slowly, "I know, Mother."
 
"He loves you, dear and will always be by your side, even if you don't know it." Brahnne smiled and embraced the child. Garnet snuggled close to her mother and smiled. "One day, you'll be queen, Garnet but until then I will always be here for you."
 
"I love you, mother."
 
"I love you too, dear." She pulled away and smiled down at the child, "Now go get ready for your tutoring."
 
"Sarah?"
 
Garnet snapped out of her daydream and blinked a few times. She'd been staring at a small child and it's mother conversing as they sat at a small, resteraunt table. She'd been so lost in the memory that she hadn't even noticed Mikoto return.
 
"Yes?" Garnet asked as he looked at the blonde genome. "I'm sorry, I was just thinking."
 
Mikoto smiled at her, "It's fine. What were you thinking about?"
 
"Oh, nothing." Garnet said with a light grin, "Just old memories. Where's Cole?"
 
"Gathering supplies. He knows the item store owner and says he can get a good deal here."
 
"Is Cole from Conde Petie?"
 
Mikoto laughed, "No. Does he look like he's from here?" They laughed, "Cole has traveled a great deal in his life. I don't think there is a place on Gaia he hasn't visited at least once."
 
Garnet nodded slowly and leaned back in her seat. She sighed as she once again began to drift into dreams. Before she could get too deep, however, Mikoto spoke.
 
"Is something troubling you?" She asked, staring at the girl.
 
Garnet thought a long moment and sighed, "It's... nothing."
 
"Tell me about it." Mikoto said with a grin, "If anything, it'll only make you feel better."
 
The dyed-blonde haired girl thought a moment before nodding and speaking, "It's just... it feels like there have been four phases to my life. There's my early childhood living in Madain Sari, I can hardly remember that time much but I know that the majority of my village and all my family died. The second phase was my princesshood in which the most important person in my life was my mother and father. Both of them have passed away. The third phase was my time as a queen in which my most loved one was Zidane and now, he too has...." Garnet trailed off and shook her head, "Now I'm on the fourth phase as a renegade... it seems like every time something changes, I meet another loved one and they eventually die as well..."
 
Mikoto watched the girl speak and slowly shook her head, "Garnet..." She said, using her actual name for the first time, "Nothing that has happened as been your fault."
 
"I know, it's just..." Garnet sighed and shook her head, "It's nothing. Just what I've been thinking about as of late."
 
The two females sat in silence for a long moment before another person approached the table. Cole laid a semi-filled bag down on the table and nodded, "I think I got enough to last us to our next destination."
 
"Which is...?" Garnet asked, looking up at the male.
 
Cole brushed a bit of black hair out of his face, the single red bang fell back into his eyes. "Madain Sari."
 
Mikoto blinked, "Why are we going there?"
 
"A moogle just delivered a letter to me." Cole said as he tossed the folded piece of paper onto the table. Mikoto picked it up and began reading it.
 
Her eyes widened slightly and she looked up at the man, "We're supposed to meet him there?"
 
Cole nodded, "The boss says so."
 
Garnet thought a moment then sat up, "Your leader?"
 
Mikoto smiled broadly, "It looks like your finally gonna get a chance to meet our leader."
 
"This should clear a lot of things up for you." Cole said as he swung the bag over his shoulder, "We must hurry though. The Fire's army has landed on the shores."
 
"I suppose that is why the boss wants to meet at Madain Sari." Mikoto said with a nod.
 
"Then we should set out right away." Garnet said as she jumped to her feet.
 
"Set out for where?"
 
Garnet spun around to watch as Amarant walked up to the group. He crossed his arms as he stood before them.
 
"We head for Madain Sari." Cole said gruffly as he checked all his equipment, "Ready to go?"
 
"Anytime."
 
Garnet nodded with a bright smile, "Then let's go? What are we waiting for?"
 
The girl quickly grabbed onto Amarant's large bicep and began pulling him forward towards the exit of Conde Petie. Mikoto laughed as she watched the scene unfold.
 
"I guess the idea of some things getting cleared up is enough to get her energized." Mikoto said with a grin.
 
Cole grunted and frowned, "Things are only going to get more difficult from here on out. Especially for our young heroine."
 
Mikoto sighed and nodded, "I guess so. If the boss wants to meet with her then things are definately getting serious." She looked up at Cole with a determined smirk, "I guess it's up to us to be her crutch."
 
The dark man spat and walked forward, "Whatever you say."
 
The genome laughed and grabbed Cole by the arm. She shouted to Amarant and Garnet, "Hey, Sarah! Don't get too far ahead."
 
Cole leered at Mikoto and pulled away from her. The blonde girl simply laughed as the caught up to the others. She ran ahead to join Garnet and jogged next to her.
 
Amarant stood next to Cole and sighed, "This is going to be..."
 
"...hell." Cole finished his statement with a sigh as the two men continued forward, following in the footsteps of the two girls ahead on them.
 
However, Cole left a hand on the hilt of his blade the entire time.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
 
Zidane stepped out into the sunlight from the cabin and squinted. He looked out onto the deck to see the majority of the people on-board were gathered in a tight group. Upon further inspection, he could see Steiner and Beatrix in the center.
 
The blonde boy rolled his eyes and he jumped off the boat and landed on dry ground. He was about to take off when a shout from behind caught his attention.
 
"And where might you be going, Mr.Tribal?" Questioned Beatrix. "Do you not see that a meeting is taking place?"
 
"I thought meetings were only for members of your resistance."
 
"You are a member. A temporary member but a member nonetheless."
 
Zidane turned around and stared at her, "I told you, it was a one mission contract."
 
"Exactly." Beatrix said with her hands on her hips, "and our group only has one mission and that mission isn't over until all of Gaia is free once again." He stared up at the female for a long moment before crossing his arms. A smile appeared on Beatrix's face, "We do have a deal, Zidane."
 
With a deep sigh, Zidane once again boarded and ship and made his way over to the group. He crossed his arms and leaned against the railing as he listened to Steiner talk about the army that had landed on a few miles away.
 
Zidane slowly drifted into his own world. He looked out over the rocky countryside of the Forgotten Continent and sighed. There were so many memories on that continent. So many things Zidane wanted to relive and yet, didn't want to feel the pain of knowing he could never make new ones.
 
Sighing, Zidane turned back to listen to his new resistance leaders speak.
 
This was going to be one hell of a ride.
 
To Be Continued...
 
Author's Ramblings
Everyone, I'm terribly sorry about the complete lack of action in this story as well as the extreme shortness of it but I was kind of just trying to get another chapter in. Sorry for the long wait but I've been busy with other projects. My main original story is nearing it's end so as soon as I finish it, I will be concentrating on this story as well as one other original piece. Anyways, please review.
 
Also, I finally got another copy of FFIX. I ordered it from eBay like two weeks ago and it just came in two days ago. I bought it got nine bucks but after shipping it cost me over twenty! Man, I hate that stupid web site but on the bright, this story should get just that much better since I'll be playing through the game as I write this story.
 
Please review and I'll try to get this story rolling as soon as possible!
 
Until next time!