Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Concept of... ❯ Thoughts From Before ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Concept of...
 
Summary: Gaia, finally finding peace after a long while, is once again rocked as a group of radicals rise up and begin to eradicate the royals from the world. In the heat of the fray, can light shine once more?
 
Rating: PG-13+
 
Fandom: Final Fantasy IX
 
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama, Continuation
 
 
Chapter Four
Thoughts From Before
 
The forest was filled with smells of nature and of civlization. Few animals roamed the land, not even owls were seen this far into the forest. There was only one thing to be seen this deep.
 
Zidane listened to his foosteps as he and his two comrades entered the village. It'd been a very long time since Zidnae had laid eyes on the small huts owned by the Black Mages or since he'd seen the large, akward creautres wandering the dirt roads of their home.
 
Beatrix turned around to look at Zidane, "We're going to go speak with the head of this village. Try not to get in much trouble, okay?"
 
The blonde shrugged lightly, "You know me."
 
"That's the thing." Beatrix said with a smirk and advanced into the village. Steiner stared at him for only a moment before he too entered the village, going a separate direction.
 
Zidane crossed his arms and sighed. Things were a mess. Then again, when had things not been a mess.
 
He found himself remembered the first time he'd come to the village. He'd come with friends in search of their longtime enemy and had been surprised to see so many aware Black Mages. He remembered that night in the inn, alone with Garnet and the story he'd told her.
 
His story.
 
With a sigh, Zidane trudged into the village. He went straight for the hut where his 'sister' had lived a short while ago. It was still just as empty as it'd been ever since she and the others had left.
 
He never found out where they'd gone.
 
The Genomes only lived in the village for a short while after they left Terra. He'd heard that one day they just decided that they wanted to enter the real world and left the village, Mikoto as well. He had never heard from them again.
 
The small hut was just as it had been the last time he'd been here. A small bit of clothing lay flung about the one-room home, just like it had always been. Mikoto has always been somewhat untidy. It wasn't much of a surprise. After living so long in organization on Terra, it was only reasonable for the Genomes to be somewhat unorganized now that they were on Gaia.
 
Zidane sat down on the bed and sighed. He missed Mikoto and the others. They were the closest thing he had to a real family. Sure, he had his brothers in Tantalus and his friends but it wasn't the same as having real-life, blood relatives.
 
A knock on the door was heard and Zidane rose his head in confusion. He shouted for whoever it was to come in and the door opened to reveal a small figure.
 
"Mr. Zidane?" The little mage said tentivly.
 
"Just Zidane." He said as he leaned back, "What's up?"
 
"Um, m-my name is C-Corbin." The little black mage wrung his hands together and stared at his feet. Zidane knew what he was going to say before he finished, "I'm V-Vivi's son."
 
Zidane smiled and stood, "You look just like him."
 
Corbin looked up at him with bright eyes, "I... um... we just a-arived in the village a little bit ago."
 
"Who is we?"
 
"Um, me and my brothers and my dad."
 
Zidane's eyes grew wide and he stepped forward, "Vivi's here!"
 
The little mage stepped back in surprise, "Y-yes. H-He wanted me t-to get you."
 
"Well take me to him." Zidane said, brightening up.
 
Corbin nodded and led Zidane out of the hut. They walked and short while until they arrived at the cemetary. Zidane looked around until he caught sight of some blue robes billowing in the breeze and a small straw hat. He smiled as he looked at the familiar mage kneeling down, placing some flowers on a grave.
 
"Vivi?" Zidane said with wide eyes.
 
The mage looked up and brightened. He ran towards Zidane and immediatly fell flat on his face. With a sigh, he stood and brushed himself off.
 
"Nothing ever changes, eh?" Zidane said with a chuckle, gazing down at his old friend.
 
"Wow." Vivi stared up at Zidane, "It's been..."
 
"Way too long." Zidane laughed, "What are you doing here?"
 
"I, um... come once a month to... pay respects." He looked back at the grave he had just visited. It was labeled '288.' Vivi looked back up at Zidane, "What about you?"
 
"I'm here with Beatrix and Rusty, we-re-"
 
"Steiner is here too?!" Viv said in surprise. Zidane nodded quickly. "Can you take me to him?"
 
Zidane smiled and nodded. He led Vivi away form the cemetary and they walked through the village for a short while.
 
"I met your kid." Zidane said as they walked, "Seems nice."
 
"Corbin?" Vivi nodded, "He is. I have two others but they're out visiting the others."
 
"Where have you been all this time?"
 
Vivi thought a moment, "I... didn't want my children to grow up without knowing the world. We've been traveling Gaia ever since we left Alexandria. Um, how's Garnet? I heard about Alexandria getting attacked but news is hard to get around here."
 
Zidane was quiet for a moment, "She's... gone, Vivi. I couldn't protect her."
 
The little mage stopped for a moment and looked up at his friend in alarm, "T-The princess... no way."
 
"It's true." Zidane said, looking away the Vivi's still young eyes. "The group that attacked Alexandria already has control of the Mist Continent so we came here to warn everyone on the Outer Continent because they just arrived here."
 
Vivi was quiet for a moment before and nodded and the two continued walking. Finally, they heard a booming voice and Vivi ran ahead. Sure enough, the large man was standing outside a hut, jumping up and down.
 
"I say, open this door immediatly!" He shouted, waving his fists. "We must buy supplies."
 
Zidane sighed, "The sign says closed."
 
"I don't care what the sign say-" Steiner turned around to shout but grew quiet as his eyes landed on Vivi. He knelt down and blinked, "Master Vivi?"
 
"Hello, Steiner." Vivi said happily.
 
"Master Vivi!" Steiner jumped up in joy, "It's been far too long! How have you been? How are your children? Are they aware yet?"
 
Vivi laughed and nodded, "Yes, they're in the village too."
 
"Why, this is surely a good sign. The return of Master Vivi is a telling of good fortune!" Steiner nodded briskly and looked at Zidane, "Beatrix has spoken with the head of the village. We depart shortly."
 
"You can't stay the night?" Vivi asked sadly, "We haven't caught up yet."
 
Steiner rubbed his chin and Zidane sighed, "The sun is about to set. No use traveling at night."
 
The former knight thought a moment then nodded, "Yes, I'm sure Beatrix won't protest to resting here until dawn." He looked down at Vivi and nodded, "Now, Master Vivi, I want to hear all about your children. And where have you been all this time? Are you well? Why are you in the village? No, we musn't talk here. Let's go get a drink and sit for awhile. My, it's been so long."
 
Zidane chuckled and followed the two as they spoke and headed for the inn.
 
Maybe, just maybe, Steiner was right this time.
 
Perhaps good fortune was on the horizon.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
 
The bright, round orb in the sky was neary it's climax, just about to that point where the sky begins to turn a brilliant shade of orange and darkness begins to creep across the other side.
 
The dirt underfoot was dusty, causing Gardnet to be forced to cough into her hand. She hadn't been in this area of the world in a very long time and memories were slowly beginning to come back.
 
She remembered the first time she'd crossed this path with her friends. A smile crossed her face as she remembered the fake marriage she and Zidane had to put on in order to get past the dwarves at Conde Petie. She remembered having to save their newest companion, Eiko Coral as she had gotten stuck on a tree branch while fleeing after stealing food. This was the first place she found out that there were other people who could summon.
 
Now, she could see it clearly.
 
The remains of a forgotten society.
 
The debris from a destroyed land.
 
The last pieces of Garnet's childhood.
 
Anothe fit of coughing envoloped Garnet as a bit of dust was blown by the wind. Cole, walking next to her, handed over his kerchief which she gladly took and covered up her face.
 
"The land has grown old and eroded." Cole said, walking his arms crossed. His black hair with the single red streak blew in the breeze, he looked right at home with his dark clothes and dead face in the land. "Ever since the Iifa Tree stopped producing Mist awhile back, the land around here has just lost what little life it once had."
 
"So it's all my-"
 
"No." Mikoto said quickly, "This land was dying long before you came. The Iifa Tree was stopping it from ending it's misery."
 
Garnet nodded slowly, looking at the dusty ground as she walked. It was true. Before, there had at least been a few little areas of green grass but now it was nothing but harsh desert. Everything had a sad yellow glow to it, even the mass of rubble in the distance seemed more distraught.
 
It was a very sad sight.
 
The four travelers continued walking, eventually making it out of the desert and stepping onto the pavement of the destroyed city of Madain Sari.
 
Garnet looked around at the rubble, it had been so long since she had visited the destroyed area. She clasped her hands together as she eyes skimmed over the land, memories returning to her.
 
She remembered first coming her with Zidane and that faint feeling of rememberance that was felt in the pit of her stomach.
 
Then she remembered darker memories. Of the land being destroyed by a giant eye in the sky. Of escaping with her birthmother and fleeing for Alexandria.
 
Tears formed in the corners of her eyes but she quickly blinekd them away, not wanting anyone to see her pain. She took in a large intake of air then stepped forward.
 
"Where is he?" She asked, looking around nervously.
 
Mikoto stood next to her, "He should arrive shortly."
 
Garnet nodded and began walking further into the destruction. She walked down what was left of the street and into something like a town square. A bench was there and she sat down, looking around her. Behind her, just down another road, was the Eidolon Wall. She would make a visit to the wall shortly.
 
Mikoto sat down next to her and Cole took the oppurtunity to search the area. Amarant leaned against a wall and looked around.
 
"Bring back memories?" He asked quietly.
 
Garnet nodded briskly, "Many." She smiled faintly and looked over to him, "Isn't this where we first met you?"
 
He nodded his large mop of red hair, "Not one of my better moments."
 
The ex-queen smiled lightly as she remembered watching Zidane and Amarant fight. Various feelings went through her mind as she remembered his mercy and honor. Of how he allowed Amarant to live despite him asking for death.
 
Foosteps could be heard from behind them and Garnet turned her head to see a group of at least ten men running up to them from the Wall. They stopped and one many stepped forward. He was short and skinny with a blue bandana covering his mouth.
 
The man held a long, jagged dagger in his right arm and growled, "What are you all doing here?"
 
Garnet stood, eyes glaring at the man. "We could ask you the same."
 
"Well, you're the trespassers!" The man countered with a quick nod, "You just happen to be in the official head quarters of the..." The man and everyone behind him quickly struck a pose, "Blue Graal Theivery Guild!"
 
Garnet stared at the man and blinked. She sighed heavily and shook her head, "Not this again..."
"What was that?" The man snickered, "Ah, feeling a little less courageous now, eh? I can't say I blame you." The man stared at Garnet for a moment and nodded, "Well, you are a cutie aren't ya but your hair..."
 
She looked alarmed and felt her dyed locks, "W-what about it?"
 
"I'm not too into blondes." She shrugged, "Oh well, your looks aren't going to save you from this. Trespassing on the property of the Blue Graal Theivery Guild is a offense punishable by death."
 
Amarant sighed and stepped forward. All eyes turned to him and the man looked shocked, "R-Red? I thought y-you were with us..."
 
"I was." He said as he cracked his knuckles, "My contract expired."
 
The leader cursed and stepped behind his friends, "Then I guess you'll just have to meet the same fate as your pals." He looked at his also worried friends and slightly shoved one of them, "What are ya waiting for? Get'em!"
 
With a weak battle cry, two of the theives stormed Amarant. He made no move to counter them but stepped aside as one of them tried to drive a spear through his gut. As he passed, Amarant grabbed the man by the back of the shirt and threw him into his friends. The two collapsed to the ground with the one on the bottom smashing his head against the concrete and knocking himself out.
 
"What are ya doing, ya idiots!" The leader shouted, "Kill them!"
 
"Morons."
 
The leader turned around as he heard the voice and shouted in surprise as a booted foot connected with his face, snapping his neck back and sending him to ground, unconcious.
 
Cole landed in front of the fallen theif and smirked. He withdrew his sword and turned to meet the other foes.
 
"Now that I've arrived." Cole said with a almost gleeful grin. He looked at Amarant, "Shall we?"
 
Amarant nodded and beckoned for the thieves to beign their attack. They were surrounded, with Amarant blocking one exit and Cole the other so they had no choice but to grip their weapons and attack. There were eight of them left so they spit up evenly.
 
A man wiedling a sword attempted to lop of Amarant's head but he quickly ducked under the blow and delivered a hard jab into the man's gut. The man immediatly dropped his weapon and stepped back, holding his stomach and quickly ran over to the edge of the road and vomited.
 
The next man was the one who'd attacked Amarant early. His spear flew thorugh the air in an untrained manner and Amarant grabbed the wooden part of it as it flew towards him. With one hand, he snapped the weapon in two like a twig. The man shouted in fear and ran past Amarant, heading out of Madain Sari.
 
Another swordsman attempted to attack Amarant from the side and nearly slashed into his side but Amarant dodged the blow just in time. He slammed his elbow into the man's face then finished off as he cracked the remainder of the spear over the man's back.
 
The last soldier was the only one able to catch Amarant by surprise. He was behind the tall man and jumped over his back, arms wrapped around his neck attempting to choke him. Amarant tried to fling the little man off but he had a tight grip. He whirled around, trying to get the thief off his back when his grip suddenly loosened and he fell to the ground in a heap.
 
Amarant turned around to see Garnet standing behind him with a stone in hand. She smiled up at him and nodded.
 
Everyone turned around with the intent on helping Cole but were surprised to see him sitting down watching the end of Amarant's battle. He smirked and applauded half-heartedly.
 
"Where'd they go?" Mikoto asked with wide-eyes.
 
He shrugged, "Ran off after the first one." He sighed lightly, "I really hope that's the last we see of them."
 
Mikoto grinned, "They certaintly are a nuisance."
 
"I don't think we should be talking bad about Amarant's friends." Garnet said with a laugh. Mikoto joined in.
 
Amarant crossed his arms and turned away, "It was a job."
 
Everyone laughed, even Cole chuckled lightly at the comment.
 
As they quieted down, a light sound could be heard. It sounded like somehow chuckling lightly and everyone looked around. Garnet turned around and looked up at the Eidolon Wall.
 
On top of the stone structure, silhouetted against the sun was a dark figure. His long hair billowed in the wind. The figure applauded lighlty before lightly jumping from the top of the structure and landing gently on his feet.
 
He walked towards the group and Garnet's eyes widened at the sight. He was pale with long, silver locks and bright eyes. He wore all white clothes and his face looked almost feminine but with a very manly charm around his colorful eyes.
 
The man walked up to them and extended a long arm to Garnet. He looked into her eyes with his own, "It's been a long time." A devilish smirk crossed Kuja's face as he looked at the shocked expression she wore, "My canary."
 
To Be Continued...
 
Author's Ramblings.
Well, there's another update. Sorry it's so short but I really didn't know what to do with this chapter. The only part I had planned out was Garnet's section. I actually didn't intend to bring in Vivi but he just kind of... popped up on his own. Hope this chapter isn't too crappy.
 
By the way, I just started another story. It's a romance story for FF* called Populace of Two. It's a lot different than the usual stuff I write as it's mostly romance and I don't intend on having much, if any, action in it. I hope everyone gives the first chapter a read and tells me what you think.
 
Well, until next time!