Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Concept of... ❯ Enlightened Life ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Concept of...
 
Summary: Gaia, finally finding peace after a long while, is once again rocked as a group of radicals rise up and begin to eradicate the royals from the world. In the heat of the fray, can light shine once more?
 
Rating: PG-13+
 
Fandom: Final Fantasy IX
 
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama, Continuation
 
 
Chapter Five
Enlightened Life
 
Dark eyes bore into her own. Her mouth hung agap at the sight of the pale, white-haired male that stood before her with a eerie, confident smirk planted across his feminine features.
 
The man withdrew his hand and chuckled, "You seem surprised." Garnet took a step back. As she did so, Amarant took his place in front of her. Kuja only smirked at the gesture, "No need to be so hostile. I am the reason you are here, after all."
 
Garnet's eyes widened further and she turned around to glance at Mikoto, "Kuja is your... leader?"
 
Mikoto smiled sheepishly and nodded, "Yes, it's a long tale."
 
"One that I would be more than willing to tell you, Princess. Or Queen. What is it you like to be called nowadays?"
 
Garnet narrowed her eyes at the man, "I thought you were dead."
 
"Ah, so your knight kept his promise. Long ago, your lover came to my aid. He is the reason I still breath. I asked him not to give away my existance and it seems his word proved gold." Kuja glanced about and frowned, "Where is your knight?"
 
Garnet stumbled with her words for a moment before sighing, "He died awhile ago during the raid of Alexandria."
 
Kuja stared at the blonde girl for a moment, his eyes showing disbeleif. Finally, he shrugged and nodded. "Well, my lady, shall you and your companion join be for dinner?"
 
The former queen still seemed hesitant to trust her once sworn-enemy. The man who had threated all the planet, killed thousands, and proved pivotal in the death of her second mother.
 
A hand brushed Garnet's elbow and she glanced to her side to see Mikoto smile and nod. Sighing, Garnet nodded and turned to Kuja.
 
"What shall be be having?"
 
------------------------------
 
Zidane sighed heavily as he leaned back in his seat and looked up at the nearly dark sky. The wind was cool, something Zidane didn't remember about the last time he'd come to the Lost Continent.
 
He'd been told that the actions that occured around the Iifa Tree awhile back had caused the land on the continent to grow much harsher. That included the drop in temperature.
 
The blonde chewed the last bit of his meal and looked around at the group. Steiner sat together on a log with Beatrix, chatting gently with her about the actions of the day. A few others members of the organization sat in huddled groups, speaking or eating amongst themselves. The only person anywhere near Zidane was the small black mage.
 
Vivi had decided shortly before they were to depart that he wanted to join them. He'd said his children would be staying with the Black Mage Village for a 'learning experience.' He also said that he thought he owed it to Garnet.
 
Of course, Zidane had no protests in his old friend to join them.
 
"I've tried writing you, Zidane." Vivi said quietly, as he watched the embers of the fire begin to ignite.
 
"I haven't been staying in Alexandria. I couldn't after The Fire took it over." Zidane watched the embers as well. "I stayed in a small hut in Dali for awhile until Steiner... convinced me to join him."
 
"How do you know about Garnet?" He asked tentively.
 
Zidane sighed, "At first I didn't beleive the reports but then they said her body had been brought back. They never showed it to the public and it was buried in the royal cemetary next to her mother."
 
"How can you know it's true, Zidane?" Vivi asked, "If you never saw her."
 
"They brought back... her amulet." He sighed and put his head in his hands. "I gave her a amulet shortly after I returned. It was one of a kind and... they had it."
 
The campfire grew quiet and Vivi raised his voice to say something but it never got out as a lone soldier came running up to the camp. He paused just in front of Steiner and Beatrix, breathing heavily.
 
Steiner stood quickly, "Wh-"
 
The young man quickly cut him off, "Our scouts have been ambushed. It's them."
 
Beatrix quickly stood as well, retrieving her sword. "Let's go."
 
"Scouts getting ambushed?" Zidane sighed as he followed the crowd, Vivi close behind. "Some scouts they are."
 
The group only had to travel for a short while before the sounds of a battle could be heard. They brust through a small patch of trees until the battle could finally be seen.
 
It wasn't huge. The six rebel scouts were fighting their hardest against nearly sixteen soldiers of The Fire. Steiner quickly withdrew his own sword and flew towards the fight.
 
Zidane gripped his dual daggers tightly in his hands and also rushed towards the attacks. A bright flashed blew past him and he nearly smirked, the feeling of fighting alongside Vivi once again taking it's place.
 
The blonde flew into the air and brought his daggers down hard on the first unsuspecting victim. The blades drove deep down into the soldier's shoulder and sent him falling towards the ground, dropping his weapon as he did so. Zidane hit the ground and went further into the heart of the battle, his instict flaring like that of a rose's petals.
 
The sounds of war echoed in his ears, fusing that battle instinct inside of Zidane that had only intensified since the death of Dagger. He flew at different angles, delivering singlular blows to all enemies in his sight. Blood poured onto the ground as he rushed through the mob, teeth gritted as he watched his actions unfold.
 
Finally, Zidane found himself flying towards the ground after something hard connected with his jaw. He hit the grass and immediatly rolled back to his feet. He re-gripped his daggers and looked forward to see the man that had hit him.
 
He was tall, well over six foot with a large torso. The man had a dark tan and black, shortly-cropped hair with a bushy black moustache that only aided his stone-like face. The man wore a bright, yellow jacket made of gossamer fabric, opened a bit to unveil a chiseled chest. He also wore a pair of skin-tight red pants and black shoes. In his hands was a long, metal rod which had been the thing to hit Zidane.
 
The man stepped forward and swung the rod in an arc. He grinned a bit, displaing white teeth but with the front somewhat bucktoothed.
 
"I was told of you." The man said with a low tone, "The man with the tail. I've been wondering how long it would take for me to find you."
 
Zidane stood ready, staring at the stranger as the battle continued around him. "And who might you be?"
 
"Farrokh. Farrokh Bulsara." The man nodded, "I am the assistant to Allor, the right hand of Magus Kingsfield II."
 
"And who is Allor?"
 
"He said you two met awhile back, on the ports of Alexandria." Farrokh paused a moment, tapping his rod against his shoulder. "Hmm, red hair, dark eyes, probably destroyed you in the battle."
 
The memory came back to Zidane and he gritted his teeth, "Yeah, I remember now."
 
"Very good." Farrokh said with another smile, "Well, then. Shall we?"
 
Without another word, the moustach-faced man burst from his stance and rushed at Zidane with much more speed than would be suspected of a man his size. He spun the rod over his head for a moment before he swung it at an arc at Zidane. The blonde barely ducked under the blow and rose up with his daggers flying towards the man's unprotected gut.
 
Surprisingly, the man was able to kick up his legs and knee Zidane in the chin, sending him flying backwards and landing on his back. With a loud curse, Zidane rose to his feet and prepared himself just in time as Farrokh came rushing in for another attack. The rod flew at Zidane every which way, with the blonde side-stepping and ducking under each one. Finally, it was Zidane's turn.
 
He jumped into the air and attempted to kick Farrokh upside the head. The larger man ducked under the blow but Zidane carried on. He brought his daggers in at different angles but Farrokh once again gained the upper-hand. He parried one of the daggers with his rod and grabbed Zidane's wrist with his free hand. He chuckled and used his superior strength to throw Zidane nearly ten feet away.
 
Zidane hit the ground hard, losing one of his daggers as he did so. He spit a bit of blood into the dirt as he once again rose to his feet and prepared for another onslaught from his new enemy.
 
As exepcted, Farrokh came full speed at Zidane. This time, however, Zidane was ready. He lowered his body so far that Farrokh tumbled over his smaller frame. With nimble mobes, Farrokh was able to catch himself and land on his feet but Zidane was already preapred. He slammed his elbow into the man's gut then delivered a harsh blow to the side of his head with the butt of his dagger. Farrokh tumbled backwards but regained his feet just in time before he would have fallen.
 
Farrokh stood fast, breathing heavily. A bit of blood trickled from his mouth as he looked around. The battle was dissolving and Zidane's friends were nearly victorious. With a sigh, the taller man shrugged. "I suppose we'll have to finish this another time, eh?"
 
With that, Farrokh dug something out of his pocket and with a quick action, flung a small metal ball at Zidane. The ball hit him hard in the chest and sent him to the ground, gasping for breath. When he looked up, Farrokh was gone and the rebels were victorious.
 
----------------------
 
The moon reflected off the rippling waters of Madain Sari. The light also gave the stones of the destructed city a beautiful yet eerie look. The company only added to that feeling.
 
Kuja walked nimbly across the stones, gazing down at his reflection as he did so.
 
"Isn't Madain Sari beautiful this time of night?" He asked.
 
Garnet crossed her arms, shivering with the cool breeze. "Yes but I much prefer it during the day."
 
"Really?" Kuja asked surprised. "The night is so cool and calm, almost ghostly. During the day, this city looks as if it is ablaze. It's harsh and glareing. Nothing like yourself, my canary."
 
"I thought you were going to fill me in on some things, Kuja. Isn't that why we're out here?" Garnet rolled her eyes, sitting down on the ledge. Kuja had asked her to come out and speak with him in private shortly after their meal. She was reluctant but finally agreed to his request.
 
"Yes." Kuja nodded, his white locks falling into his face. "Let me start out by telling you the story of my rescue."
 
"After I was defeated, I lay crumpled and beaten on one of the many roots of the Iifa Tree, awaitng my own demise. To my surprise, Zidane appeared. He helped me, guarding my weakened body with his own. We made it out of the destruction and he took me to a small village called Dali. The people of the village nursed my wounds. Before Zidane left, I asked him why he had helped me. Do you know what he did?" Garnet shook her head slowly and Kuja smirked, "He just shook his head and shrugged but before he departed, he turned to me and said 'farewell, brother.'"
 
Kuja leaned against one of the stones and looked at the water, "After my wounds were healed, I decided to take my own trip around the globe and explore these people that I was destined to live amongst. Along my journeys, I found out about a certain man named Magus Kingfield. This man was already a experienced magician, stronger than most on Gaia. However, after Garland was defeated, this wizard was somehow able to intercept his soul's departue and absorb his powers."
 
"This new power but Kingsfield over the edge, stronger even than I was, I suspect. He soon devised a plan of world domination." Kuja sighed and crossed his arms, growing somewhat flustered. "Awhile ago, the Genomes left the safety of the Black Mage Village. Kingsfield tracked them and he used an ability that only Garland used to possess in order to harness their souls. He multiplied them and turned them into his own mindless soldiers. Those are the black-clad soldiers you see storming through cities and streets. There are a few actual human lackies but most are the souls of lost Genomes."
 
"What about Mikoto?" Garnet asked, stunned at the story so far.
 
"She was away at the time of the attack." Kuja said, "When she returned, they were all gone. I met Mikoto shortly after and was able to befriend her. I told her of my plans to create a organization that will counter The Fire as soon as it made any hostile movements and she quickly joined."
 
"And Cole?"
 
"Cole is from a village on an island off the coast of this continent. During Kingsfield's early stages, he used Cole's village as a practice field. The session was a success and the village was wiped off the face of the planet, everyone dead except for Cole who had survived because he was buried under a destroyed building. I met him while he was searching for the culprits and I quickly inducted him into the group. He is full of vengeance and strives to destroy The Fire but he is also trustworthy and honorable. You should value his assitance as he is also one of the greatest warriors I've ever met."
 
Garnet nodded and leaned back, "You've changed, Kuja."
 
"I have." Kuja made his way over and sat down next to Garnet, "I have seen the errors of my past and wish to redeem myself." He turned to look the girl in her eyes, "Will you give me the chance, my canary?"
 
The girl stared into Kuja's dark, haunting eyes for a long moment and it seemed as though all that hate she had felt for him suddenly dissappeared. The fact that he murdered innocents, threatened Gaia, and led to the death of her mother was still there but the fact that he was here, apologizing and trying to help, seemed to make everything somewhat better.
 
Garnet nodded briskly, "Yes."
 
To Be Continued...