Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Twisted Compulsion ❯ 10 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Twisted Compulsion

Ch. 10

---------------

I: nagging

--------------

Aerith wore an impenetrable grin as she walked home with a large brown paper bag of veggies and fruits on her hip. `I basically cleaned them out! I can't believe how little they had! To think they get all their greens from imports!' The snow crunched under the boots as she made her way through town. She got plenty of stares at the grocery store and as she walked. This was an incredibly small town and she was a new comer. The fact that she was staying at the man alleged to be Vincent Valentine only made them wonder more. Aerith made it to Vincent cabin and stopped to check out his chocobo. She didn't last night and she had to admit she liked chocobo. Aerith set her bag down and walked up to the beast. It sensed she meant no harm and it cooed, leaning its neck forward for a pet. "Hello there!" she said as she petted the grateful beast. "Is Vincent not paying enough attention to you?" The chocobo warked in response. Aerith giggled a bit amidst the stares of curious on lookers. She gave the over grown bird one finally pat, picked up her bag, and entered the cabin. She walked over to Vincent, who was still sitting at the table, and dropped the bag in front of him. "Hi! I'm back and I just about cleaned them out. Oh, and how can you leave that poor little chocobo out in the snow with barely any shelter at all?"

Sephiroth smiled as Aerith scowled Vincent. Having finished his chore he leaned against the sink again to get a better look at the conversation.

Vincent just kind of looked at Aerith, "Chocobos aren't delicate creatures, they can handle themselves."

She frowned and crossed her arms over her chest. "Not on a daily bases, wild Chocobos can handle it because they have shelter to run off to. The thing out there is not a stable, it' just design to hold the bird in and not protect it! I mean really Vincent, it's not like you have a job or anything to occupy your time. Why not help that poor little chocobo out?"

Vincent continued to star at Aerith and sighed, "I guess so…"

Aerith smiled, "OK, go start now!"

"What?"

"No, time like the present, now get too it, you too sephiroth." Sephiroth frown at being included in this activity. Vincent put on his read cloak, that Aerith noticed was rather old and torn form all his adventures and headed out the door with a coated sephiroth behind him.

Vincent led the way to the general store in the heart of town, the same store where Aerith got her groceries. Vincent pushed open the door; a little bell announced their arrival. As they walked in Vince turned to Sephiroth, "Hopefully they'll have lumber. If not we'll have to cut some trees down our selves." They walked up to the counter and waited for the store keep to return from the back.

"Why wouldn't they have lumber?" Sephiroth asked. Since he'd lived in Midgar his whole life and everything was always close at hand the though of not have vegetables or lumber seemed absurd to him.

Vincent smiled from behind his cloak and shook his head, "you poor spoiled city boy…" he said. Before sephiroth could respond the clerk came to the counter, looking rushed for some reason. He was a cubby old man, in his fifties or so with bright red rosy cheeks. He smiled pleasantly at Vincent. Of all the townspeople the storekeeper was the nicest to him, with no suspicions at all.

"Hello again Vincent, what would it be?" he asked

"I need some lumber, enough to build a good stable for a chocobo." Vincent said; he wasn't on to make small talk.

"Yes… I believe we have some in the back." The storekeeper motioned for the two to follow him to the back. As he walked he spoke over his shoulder to the two, "So, you finally decided to give that bird a good home huh? I know you're not much for talk but may I ask was brought that on?" The three arrived in front of a set of large shelves filled with miscellaneous things. As the storekeeper began looking for the lumber Vincent answered.

"Yes you may. I've acquired some guests in my home. This man here with me and a nagging women as well. She mentioned it so I decided to do it." Sephiroth grinned at the mentioned of Aerith as a nagging woman. She had that air around her. She looked like it too with her hands on her hips and her womanly stares.

"OH, was it that pleasant brunette woman who came in here for food?" The storekeeper asked as he continued to browse.

"Yes, that's her."

"Ah, here it is. In the far back." The old man bend over to try to clear the way on the bottom shelf but Vincent stopped him. The old man was truly that, old. He motioned Sephiroth to help him and two cleared the way and began dragging out the boards. "I'm not a very good at building things so just take what you think you'll need, you can always come back for more later." The old man said. Sephiroth and Vincent carried the boards between themselves, Sephiroth at the head of the boards and Vincent at the end. The three emerged into the main room and the old man went behind the counter and rang them up. Vincent quickly paid and Sephiroth and Vincent left. The pair walked back to Vincent's cabin and dumped the wood next to the chocobo.

The chocobo gave them a stupid animal tilt of its head. It's beady eyes staring at them. "Wark?" Vincent went over to his bird and patted it on its neck.

"I guess we're going to build you a new stable, this on e is pretty old anyways…" He said to the bird. Vincent fastened its reins on and opened its pen. He led it out of its pen and in front of the house. "Stay put alright?" He told it. It obediently sat down and fluffed its feathers.

"Will he stay there?" Sephiroth asked unsurely, he didn't do Chocobos it wasn't his thing.

"She, and yes." Vincent said. He walked to the door and opened it. Aerith lay on the couch. She got up at his entrance. Sephiroth entered soon after him. Vincent was up the ladder and into the loft to rummage for tools.

Aerith approached Sephiroth, "How did it go?"

Sephiroth shrugged, "it was fine, no one recognized me." Vincent was soon down again with a box under his arm. He left again.

"He's acting really rushed…" Aerith said, the cold air caused by Vincent's exit still lingering.

"Yes, I'm guessing either because he doesn't want attention or because he's worried someone might take his chocobo…"

"Well I can take care of one of those worries! I can watch her." Aerith excitedly threw her coast on and hooked Sephiroth's arm, pulling him toward the door.

As the two exited sephiroth spoke, "How did you know it was a girl?"

Aerith just giggled, "I just knew, I have a good sense for those things." She let go of his arm and went to the chocobo, which had risen at the first sight of her. Aerith walked over to it and began petting it. "You're getting a nice new stable, won't that be nice?" It warked loaded in response.

Sephiroth smiled at the two, Aerith had away with the bird. He walked back over to Vincent.

Upon hearing Sephiroth's approach he said, "I forgot this earlier but we'll need some flat wooded boards to cover the stable up completely. Could you go back to the store while I start to dismantle this?"

Sephiroth didn't really want to go into town again but he agreed. Vincent handled him some gil and Sephiroth left.

---------------

II: Ally and Eric

--------------

Aerith nuzzled against the Chocobos neck, "What's her name?" she asked Vincent, who was currently pulling out the nails of the old pen.

"Her name is Ayame, Yuffie named her. Cid used to race her at the Gold Sauer."

"Oh, fun! I want to race her too!" Aerith said bobbing on her toes. She scratched Ayame behind her ear. "Would you like to race with me?" Ayame cooed happily. "Hear that Vincent, you've gotta take me to the Gold Sauer!"

Vincent scuffed at her, "you can take yourself…" he replied.

"Fine I think I'll have to do just that!"

At the sound of all the commotion from the log cabin that for months the townspeople had barely seen it's occupant, two small children came out of their house. They were bundled in their winter clothing, stocking cap and all, hiding and giggling behind a snowdrift. Every once in a while a stocking capped head would pop up to spy on Aerith then go back to down. Aerith put her hands n her hips and looked toward the children's hiding spot, "Hey I saw you two giggling over there come on out!" she said playfully. The two giggling children emerged from their hiding place. One was taller and presuming the older of the two. He wore a puffy red jacket with matching red mitten and a red stocking cap with a white snowflake knitted on it. His sister was a blonde wit two long braids and rosy cheeks. She wore a pretty pink jacket with snow pants and a white stocking cap.

"Hey, aren't you too cute! What are you two doing over there spying on me?" The two still stood there, the little girl clutching her brother's hand and staring up at her brother. The little boy in turn was watching the chocobo. Aerith smiled, "do you two like Chocobos?" the little boy smiled and nodded. "Then come here and pet her. Ayame won't bite you!"

The little boy led his sister by the hand over to Aerith and Ayame. Ayame cooed at their approach and leaned her neck forward. The little boy reached out his hand and unsurely touched it's beak. Ayame pressed back against his hand and let out a faint wark. The little boy's face lit up at this response and he soon dropped all his misgivings and began petting her neck, letting go of his sister at the same time. Aerith knelt down to the little girl, "Hi there, what's you name cutie?"

The little girl looked at Aerith; sucking on her mitten, "ally…"

"Ally, that's a pretty name. What about you?" She said looking at the little boy.

He continued to pet to Ayame and said, "Eric."

"My name it Aerith and that man," she pointed to the out of view side of the cabin where chunks of boards were flying from. "That man over there is Vincent, he's building Ayame a new stable."

The little boy stopped his petting and went over to Aerith, now that he was introduced his shyness was forgotten and his true out going nature was coming through, "Ya means it's really Vincent? Vincent Valentine!"

"Yes, I am," all three of them turned around to see Vincent standing over them. Eric was so shocked he fell down onto his butt.

"Vincent don't scare them!" Aerith scowled. "Yes, he's Vincent, but you can't tell anyone ok? Especially any people-asking question about his location."

Eric got back on to his feet, "you mean reporters?"

Aerith tapped his nose, "yep, reporters." Aerith stood up and began petting Ayame again, much to Ayame's joy. Eric joined her.

Ally stood sucking her mitten still and looking up at Vincent with her large blue eyes. Vincent stared back with his red ones. The girl's eyes shifted when she caught sight of something shinny, his arm. She pointed and said, "What's wrong with your arm?"

Vincent pulled his claw out in front of him and knelt down, "My arm got cut off a long time ago when I was asleep and when I woke up I had this there instead."

Ally walked toward Vincent still sucking her mitten. She reached out and touched his golden claw and then looked up at Vincent with a surprised look on her face, "It's warm!"

A faint smile graced Vincent face from behind his high collared cloak, "Yes, I'm not really sure why but it's always warm to the touch."

Ally, like her brother, was losing her shyness and becoming her normal curious sweet girl self. She smiled up at Vincent, and began examining his claw more closely. She turned his claws palm over and flexed its fingers. Vincent remained silent as she examined his claw. He was intrigued by this girl's fascination with his arm. Once Ally had examined it fully she let it go and stood again before Vincent with her mitten in her mouth. Vincent stood up and went back to the stable; to his surprise little Ally followed him and stood watching him work from the corner of the house. Under the strict supervision of Ally he finished dismantling the stable.

---------------

III: shopping

--------------

Sephiroth trudged through the snow, his feet falling heavy. The storekeeper was nice enough be Sephiroth still wasn't happy about having to deal with him alone. He kept his eyes trained the ground as he made his way too the store. Even with his eyes down he could feel the townspeople watching him. Sephiroth entered the store for the second time that day and went to the counter.

This time the owner was ready and waiting behind the counter, "Two times in a day huh? What can I get for you?"

"We need some flat boards for the stable, we forgot about hem earlier today…" Sephiroth said.

The store keep nodded, "Yes, I guess making a stable with out large boards would be a problem, follow me." Again the old man lead him into the back and sephiroth gathered up the three boards he had remaining. Each was 5 by 5 feet large. The two went back to the counter were another costumer was waiting, the woman from the inn. She gave an unsure smile in Sephiroth direction.

"I'm guessing you two found Vincent alright…."

Sephiroth looked at her for a moment before turning to the pay the storekeeper, "Yes."

The woman paused and began fidgeting, "so, it's the real Vincent Valentine?"

Sephiroth looked back to the woman `shit, what if she starts blabbing about Vincent?' He thought. `I guess I'll have to scare her a bit…'

Sephiroth glared at the woman from his hood and advanced toward her, "Yes, he is and you'd better keep it to yourself, he and I wouldn't appreciate it if a horde of reports came knocking at his door you understand?" It wasn't really that much of a threat but Sephiroth's imposing image made it one.

The woman stared at him a gulped. She nodded her head quickly.

"Good…" Sephiroth gathered the boards and quickly left the store. The woman and store keep stared at the exit after he had left.

---------------

IV: hostility

--------------

"Ally, Eric get in here! It's time for-" The mother stopped her yelling at the sight of her children faradizing with strangers. "Eric!" she screeched. Eric and Aerith immediately stopped petting Ayame, much to the chocobo's annoyance. Eric stood up and with his head down approached his mother. His mother, a thin worn looking woman with stray strains of blonde hair escaping her bun, grabbed his arm roughly and pulled him to her.

Aerith got up too with a smile on her face. She approached Eric's mother and held out her hand, "I'm sorry if my playing with your children-"

"Where's Ally?" the mother interrupted.

"Here I am mama…" Ally slowly approached her mother.

Her mother rushed to her side and held her. Then she balanced little ally on her waist and stared at Aerith, "What do you think your doing!"

Aerith was very hurt and looked about to cry, "I-I didn't think I was doing anything wrong, they were looking over at the chocobo so I invited them over…"

"Mama, don't be like this Aerith's real nice and-," Eric said tugging at his mother's arm. His mother harsh stare cut him off.

At Ally departure and at the yells Vincent came out from behind the house. He stood behind the children's mother, "Miss…" The woman almost jumped around at Vincent's voice. He continued, "Miss, I'm truly sorry if you were upset by our behavior with your children but no harm was done so there is nothing to be so upset about." The children's mother eyed the man before her. He had long black hair and wore a red cloak that covered his mouth. He was quite handsome but there was something about him that made a chill run down her spine.

She held her chin up high and looking Vincent in the eye she answered, "That may be so but I don't take kindly to my children playing with complete strangers."

"Where not strangers anymore are we?" Aerith joined in. The woman turned to Aerith. "Like I was saying before…" she stuck out her hand again, "My name is Aerith."

Letting go of Eric's hand she shook Aerith's hand, "Alice…" With that Alice gathered her children and went swiftly back into the house. Aerith stood there for with her arms crossed and then turned to Vincent. He could see she was upset at what just happened.

Just at the moment Sephiroth rounded the corner and came into view with the boards under on arm. Aerith turned around at the sound of his approach. Sephiroth stopped, "What's wrong?" Aerith's eyes teared up. She shook her head and stared at the ground.

"It's getting dark, we'll finish this tomorrow…" Vincent said, packing up his tools. "We'll have to bring in all the wood for tonight so that it doesn't get full of water and rot." He said as he disappeared into the house. Sephiroth figured he would drop it and ask what had upset Aerith when they were in bed. He followed Vincent in to the house while Aerith secured Ayame to the last standing post of her pen. Vincent and sephiroth exited again and brought in the boards.

---------------

V: pillow talk

--------------

The three ate their meal in silence and Vincent retired to his bedroom soon after it. Aerith made the couch bed; they had failed to put it back in that morning, and climbed in. Unlike the other night Aerith did not settle in next to Sephiroth, she lay on her side with her back to him. Sephiroth crawled over to her and wrapped his arm around her waist, puller her in close to him so that their body touched. Sephiroth nuzzled her neck, "What's wrong?"

Aerith curled up, her knees pulled up to Sephiroth's arm, "Something happened today… Something that shouldn't really be bothering me this much but I guess it does because…. Maybe, I think this is what my new life will be like…."

"What happened?"

Aerith sighed, "something really stupid, there were these two kids that came out of their house and were watching Ayame, Vincent's Chocobo, so I invited them to come over and pet her. Then their mother comes out and freaks out on Vincent and me. I know I can understand her anger but it's not like this is the slums in Midgar ya know?"

Aerith could feel Sephiroth nod against her neck, "Yes but this is a small town with close minded people, and Vincent's months of seclusion which caused suspicion didn't help… unfortunately… Things like this will happen and you should let the stupidity of people get to you so much…. "

Sephiroth gave a reassuring squeeze to her waist. A faint blush graced Aerith's face, much to her embarrassment. `It's not like this is the first time we've shared the same bed so why I'm a still so, so blushy when I'm close to him?' Aerith sighed and rolled over so that she and Sephiroth faced each other, well because of Sephiroth's height Aerith's face was up against his chest but good enough. Aerith leaned her face against his chest and the two fell asleep in each other's arms.

A/n: 5 parts and 10 1/2 pages, man that was pretty big…. Anyways thanks for the reviews, Thanks to chaotic pink chocobo, electronicgamer3, Maiden of the Moonlight, Zero, and everyone else.