Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Unspoken Love ❯ Futile Efforts ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not claim to own Final Fantasy VIII or its characters. They belong to Square Soft. I only claim to own this fic. Please don't sue me; I don't have any money anyway.

*

I can't believe what is happening! How could Quistis do this to me! Will she tell Rinoa! If she does...
"Squall, don't worry I'll keep your secret," Quistis said quietly. "I can't believe you got so upset about that! I just thought it was funny. I never would have thought the mighty Squall could fall in love. You never cease to amaze me!"

************************************************************* *****************
(Somewhere not far away)

"RAGE!"
"I agree with you, ya know! I can't believe that guy! He made Seifer look bad, ya know!"
"REVENGE!"
"Yeah, but we need a plan, ya know!"
"TELL!"
"That's a great idea! We can tell everyone Squall's secret! That'll teach him, ya know!"
**************************************************************** **************

(At lunch)

"Yo Squall!" Zell yells as he runs up to me. "Wanna eat lunch with me? I've got hot dogs!"
"Sure."
"There's a table over here!" Zell yells as he sits at the table he mentioned. He smiles at me and runs off to get hot dogs. That smile seemed so fake, as if he forced it. The last time he acted like this was when he wanted me to talk to the library girl for him. I hope he doesn't want me to do that again.
Weird! I didn't notice it before but those girls over there are staring at me. There whispering too. What is their problem! Don't they have anything better to do than talk about people behind their backs. It's probably just my imagination. Either way I should just try to ignore it.

"I'm back!" Zell shouted as he ran over with a large plate of hot dogs, fifteen minutes later. He has that same fake smile plastered on his face again. He looks so uncomfortable. Its probably just me. I need to go to the training center and fight grats. That always makes me feel better!
"Here Squall have as many as you want!" Zell says without even looking at them. Now I know something is going on; Zell would never turn down hot dogs!
"Squall..." Zell says uncomfortably as I slowly begin to eat my hot dogs. "I kknow yyourr secret!"
I nearly choked on the hot dog I was eating. How could Zell know my secret! Had Quistis told him. No, she said she wouldn't tell anyone, but who else knew? Does everyone know? Is that why those girls were staring at me and whispering? This can't be happening!
Irvine and Selphie walk over to our table. They both look very uncomfortable and quickly turn their gaze to the floor. Selphie looks up at me with a sympathetic look on her face. "Squall, we heard about you and Rin..." Selphie whispers quietly.
"I gotta go," Zell mutters quietly and runs off.
"Me too," Selphie utters and follows him.
Irvine sits next to me with a compassionate look on his face. "There's a rumor goin' on about you and Rinoa. Everyone knows. I know you must be embarrassed, but you can't hide your feelings anymore. You gotta show her how you feel, and I'm just the man to teach ya how to do it!
"First of all women like men with guns. That gunblade o'yours just don't do the trick! Here I'll let you borrow my gun for awhile! Now go on, lover boy, can't keep her waitin'"

Before I have the chance to get up Rinoa walks over to our table. Irvine winks at me; smiling from ear to ear. Things can't get any worse than they already are now! Rinoa's probably heard about the rumor that's being spread! Damn, everyone in the cafeteria is looking at us.
"Squall," Rinoa said softly. "I was wondering if you'd go to the training center with me. I want to see how you've improved since the last time I saw you fight."
After those words escaped her lips Irvine began to giggle softly. It is almost as if we're destined to be together. I don't know why she doesn't know, but this is great for me! Its kinda strange though.

********************************************************** ********************
"FORGOT RINOA!"
"I thought you were supposed to tell Rin, ya know."
"YOUR FAULT!"
"It is not! Besides she'll find out soon enough anyway! I told everyone else in garden, ya know."
**************************************************************** **************

"Squall, why did you bring a gun? Don't you use a gunblade?"
"Well, yes but I decided to try a new weapon for a change."
"Oookay!"
We start to walk further into the training center when three grats run at us. The one in the middle cast sleep on Rinoa, rendering her unconscious. I shoot at the grat but miss the thing completely. The grat on the left runs at Rinoa, and hits her with its vines. She walks up and casts fira on the grat in the middle, killing it. I attempt to shoot the grat on the right, but miss again. Rinoa giggles softly and casts blizzera on the grat on the right, killing it as well. The remaining grat poisions me. I shoot hit, barely missing this time. Rinoa casts esuna on me and attacks the grat, finishing the thing off.
"Stick to your gunblade," Rinoa says, staring at me intensely. "You weren't as good as I had expected you'd be." She starts to walk away. This is so humiliating. Irvine is gonna get it when I get my hands on him!
She turns around suddenly and whispers softly, "I think I know what your trying to hide from me, Squall. You really are very sweet." She kisses me softly on the cheek and walks away. Maybe Irvine knew what he was talking about after all.

I stood bewildered for about five minutes after the kiss. I don't know what to think anymore. How can Rinoa know so much? Did she hear the rumor? Does she know how I truly feel about her? Does she feel the same way?
"Yo Squall," Zell yells interrupting my thoughts. "Your father has come to see you!"
"WHAT!?!"

Authors Notes: I know it took me awhile to upload this chapter. I had writer's block. -_-* Well, what did you think about this chapter? Like it? Hate it? R + R ^_^