Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Us And Them ❯ Chapter 5: Where Do We Go From Here? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Where Do We Go From Here?
 
I'm so sorry,”
 
Vincent looked around Gongaga's run-down capital as the person on the other end of the PHS continued to speak:
 
“I wish I knew what to do for you, but Avalanche hasn't tried anything so drastic as to organize a break-in to get your friends out of there. We're political activists- not warriors,”
 
“Circulating anti-Shinra propaganda isn't going to bring them down,” said Vincent, “There are only a few key people that need to be wiped out. President Shinra, Heidigger, that woman in charge of the weapons department-“
 
Scarlet,”
 
“-and also Hojo. There's plenty of other corrupt people working there, but they'd be totally helpless without their leaders,”
 
You're forgetting the Turks,”
 
“Most Turks only work for the money,” Vincent shook his head, “I was the same. They don't want power. It's the ones who want power and already have a fair amount of it that need to be taken out,”
 
And the children are safe?
 
“Sephiroth can take care of himself. And he'll take good care of Aeris,”
 
I still don't like that you just left them in the wilderness,”
 
“There was no other choice. I trust Sephiroth, however,”
 
“…It's one thing for Shinra to oppress the people of Midgar and now Wutai, but to deliberately hunt down children and separate them from their parents…oh- I'm sorry, Vincent…”
 
“I separated myself,” Vincent waved his hand dismissively, “And now I'm paying the price,”
 
“Don't start going on about atonement, please. It's too early in the morning to listen to your constant brooding,”
 
Vincent glanced sullenly at the floor. “As you wish. Shall we try and find people who might be able to help out with this situation?”
 
Let's…
 
 
“How are you feeling?” Sephiroth asked.
 
Aeris glanced at her adoptive brother, then continued to stare out at the stream in front of her.
 
It had been two days since Vincent had left them in the Ancient Forest. Before arriving at their destination, they'd stopped in Gongaga to pick up clothes for the kids, camping gear, and a black chocobo to carry most of their new belongings. After spending the morning with the two children, Vincent had left with little explanation.
 
Aeris had loved to talk as much as her father did, but for the past four days since escaping from Corel, the seven-year-old had become quiet and distant.
 
“Are you hungry?”
 
No response.
 
“Thirsty?”
 
Aeris continued to ignore him.
 
“You just plan to sit there and stare into space?”
 
“Shh!” Aeris hissed at him suddenly, “I'm talking to the Planet!
 
Sephiroth sighed. “I beg your pardon,” he muttered.
 
Aeris closed her eyes. “I'm asking it about Mama and Papa. I've been asking it about them since we got away from the bad people,”
 
Sephiroth sighed again, this time in relief. She wasn't traumatized after all. “So you're fine, then?”
 
“…I miss being home,” Aeris confessed sadly.
 
“Me too,” Sephiroth admitted, “What does the Planet say?”
 
“It says they're still alive, but that's all it knows,”
“You sit there all day just to hear that?”
 
“The Planet tells me stories. They're kinda hard to understand, but it's nice just hearing it talk. I feel safe when I talk to the Planet…and when I talk to you,”
 
“Good,” Sephiroth smiled, “I'm glad,”
 
“I'm bored,” Aeris confessed, “It's nice out here, and I can hear the Planet way better than I could at home, but there's nothing else to do until Mr. Valentine rescues Mama and Papa,”
 
The two were silent for a moment.
 
“…It's hot here,” Sephiroth observed finally, “I think that stream leads to a pond. Let's try out the fishing gear Vincent left us. I'm tired of eating just fruit. Then…hmm…I don't know how to cook. We're going to have to figure out how to do that. So I guess we'll just have to catch a lot of fish just in case,”
 
He stopped when he saw the familiar smile return to Aeris' face, and then continued:
 
“We'll need a fire, so I suppose we'll have to take lots of walks to find wood. And I'm wondering what kind of animals live here. I suppose we'll find that out when we fish and look for firewood. Hmm…it really doesn't look like we're going to have much time to lie around, does it?”
 
“Nope,” Aeris agreed, “So what should we do first?”
 
“What do you think?”
 
“If we're going to catch fish,” the child looked thoughtful, “Then we'll already want the firewood in place. So I guess we should go look for that first,”
 
“Brilliant,” Sephiroth smiled, “I should have thought of that. Let's go,”
 
He held out his hand, which Aeris took and pulled herself up to her feet. Still holding hands, the two walked away from the campsite.
 
 
“So they've set up camp at the Nibelheim mansion?” Vincent asked the pudgy youth sitting in front of him at the local diner.
 
“According to our sources, yes,” the teen answered, “Hojo was definitely seen there, with a ton of SOLDIERs and a few Turks,”
 
“Who else was seen there?” Vincent wanted to know.
 
“No one else,” the kid shook his head.
 
They've got to be there…Vincent thought, the sooner I get them out of that mansion, the sooner we can get everyone under Avalanche's protection.
 
“We don't have many people who would be equipped to handle that many capable fighters,” the kid told him.
 
“I already got that when I was on the phone,” said Vincent, “I'm not sure what to do. Even if it's just me and a few other people…”
 
“What if we leveled the playing field just a little?” the man grinned suddenly as he took a summoning materia out of his pocket.
 
“What's on your mind, Wedge?”
 
“There's gotta be someone who could hook us up with some good mastered materia,” Wedge explained, “And money isn't any object these days…thanks to our benefactor. Only 1st Class SOLDIER get to use decent materia. We could give `em our own little army of materia users,”
 
“Do what you need to do,” Vincent took a bite of his sandwich.
 
“Right,” Wedge nodded. He stood up and left the diner. Through the window, Vincent saw him pull out a PHS and dial a number. Vincent could see him speaking to someone. After a couple minutes, the man closed the PHS and headed back inside.
 
Vincent swallowed the last of his sandwich and looked at the man expectantly.
 
“It's on,” Wedge grinned, “Guess we'll be making a stop at Cosmo Canyon,”
 
 
“I must say…” Hojo leered at his subject, “You certainly have delayed my progress long enough. Eight years I've been searching for you and your family, and all I get is you. Who would have known my son could fly?”
 
Despite the uncomfortable restraints on her arms and legs strapping her to the operating table, Ifalna smirked.
 
“Vincent is the boy's real father,” she taunted, “So much for your greatest creation,”
Hojo's fingers tightened around the pen he carried. “No matter,” he said coldly, “Vincent and I have unfinished business. No doubt the man will try to save you and your husband. I'll be waiting. In the meantime…” he picked up a syringe from a nearby table.
 
“Ah yes…” Ifalna replied sarcastically, “What lovely tests are you going to subject me to today? See how much pain I can handle? No…you don't want to risk losing your link to the Promised Land, even though I've told you time and time again that it isn't accessible to humans!
 
“And I'm sure that you'll say anything to keep me convinced of that lie,” Hojo walked over to her and held up the needle, “But `the truth shall set you free'…for that is exactly what you will tell me…because if this serum I'm about to inject you with doesn't do the job, perhaps the fact that your husband's life depends on what you say will,”
 
Ifalna's eyes widened.
 
“It's up to you,” Hojo shrugged, “Professor Faremis Gast may very well suffer a massive heart attack tomorrow morning…or not. Amazing the stories we're able to get away with these days…”
 
“Your idea of the Promised Land is a place overflowing with mako, right?” Ifalna's voice was panicked, “Fine- I can tell you where the closest thing to your idea of the Promised Land is! Go to the Northern Crater and look there!”
 
“Good,” Hojo smiled wickedly, “But just for extra measure…” he quickly jabbed the woman's arm with the needle.
 
Forgive me, Planet…Ifalna thought weakly as the drugs began to overtake her.
_____________________________________________________________
 
Professor Gast paced about restlessly. He and Ifalna had been separated upon arriving at the mansion. The coffins had been cleared out of Vincent's former holding cell, which he was now confined to.
 
I feel so helpless…
 
It had been over a week since he'd seen Ifalna. When he wasn't worrying about her, his mind was on Sephiroth and Aeris.
 
Vincent can't possibly abandon them now…but…even if he did, Sephiroth has always been devoted to Aeris. He's an exceptional boy. So long as he doesn't do anything foolish, they should be safe.
 
His constant rationalizing of the situation didn't help, he had to admit. But there was really nothing else. No doubt he was being kept as a bargaining chip, since he had already been purged of information on the two children.
 
He snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the sound of the door being unlocked. The door then opened.
 
Gast looked away. “I'm not hungry,” he said curtly, “Please just leave me alone,”
 
When the person didn't respond, Gast looked back at the door.
 
“…Who are you?” he asked.
 
“……….”
 
“You're obviously not a SOLDIER, so what are you doing here? How did you get that key?”
 
“Follow me,”
 
“Who are you?!”
 
“I am on your side. That is all you need to know for now. Hurry- your wife is waiting,”
 
“Is she alright?” Gast asked worriedly.
 
“She is in good health,” the stranger told him, “Please- we don't have much time,”
 
“Fine,” the professor nodded.
 
The stranger nodded back and left the room. Warily, Gast followed closely behind.
 
“Do you also know where my children might be?”
 
“We can discuss that after you and your wife are safe. Time is of the essence,”
 
“How do you plan to get us both out of here? This place is guarded to the max!”
 
“Let me handle it. I know we've just met, but you will have to trust me…”
 
Suddenly, it hit Gast. Avalanche! The terrorists whom Vincent was working with! This person must be one of them.
 
Vincent, you are magnificent!
 
 
“Is the coast clear?”
 
Vincent peaked from behind the bush where he and Wedge were hidden.
 
“Too clear, if you ask me,” he said.
 
There wasn't a guard in sight. The original report was that there were five Mps stationed at the front door.
 
“You think they might have relocated?”
 
“I hope not…” Vincent muttered, “But we'll have to check regardless,”
 
He checked his pistol to make sure it was in working order. Wedge did the same with his machine gun.
 
“Where are the others?” Wedge asked.
 
“They'll be breaking in through the back door,” Vincent told him. He pulled out a walkie-talkie. “Valentine here. What's the situation?”
 
“This place seems deserted,” a voice replied, “Wonder if it's a trap? They've gotta know there's people who would wanna rescue the Laniers…or Gasts or whatever the hell their names are,”
 
“We don't have a choice,” said Vincent, “Our plans remain the same. Move out!”
 
“Whatever you say, chief,”
 
Vincent pocketed the walkie-talkie and nodded at Wedge. The two stood up and silently made their way toward the mansion.
 
 
“This is…kinda creepy,” Wedge remarked nervously.
 
The inside of the mansion was just as deserted as the outside. The lights were still on, but no sounds could be heard save for Vincent and Wedge walking quietly.
 
Vincent spun around and held his gun up when he heard a door open. Wedge did the same. Both relaxed when they saw it was only their comrades.
 
“Are you sure we got the right place?” one of the two men asked.
 
“I'm positive,” Vincent answered, “This is the place. We'll split up. Wedge and I will cover half of the upstairs area and then the basement. The rest of you, check everywhere on this floor, and the other side of the second floor. If you don't find anything, then just cover us in case Shinra launches any surprise attacks,”
 
“Will do, chief,”
 
Vincent cautiously made his way up the staircase, with Wedge following closely behind. Deciding to check the basement first, they headed over to the spiral staircase and began their descent.
 
After they reached the bottom, Vincent stopped and held up his hand.
 
“What is it?” Wedge whispered.
 
“I hear something,” Vincent took his gun in both hands, and approached the library at the end of the hallway.
 
As he got closer, he could hear it- no mistake- Hojo's insane laughter. The same laughter he'd heard before he'd been shot by the man fifteen years ago.
 
And so we meet again…the gunman thought grimly.
 
Vincent stepped in the room, motioning for Wedge to stay back. The worried teenager hung back, his gun still ready for action should anything happen.
 
Professor Hojo sat in a corner, still laughing like a madman. He didn't even seem to acknowledge Vincent's presence until the man stood right over him.
 
The raven-haired scientist looked up. “So it goes…” he giggled, “The noble gunman shows up to rescue my specimen…must admit though…you really went all out, didn't you? Who knew that there were others like her? You've got some amazing connections, Turk,”
 
“Where are the Gasts?” Vincent pointed his gun at Hojo's head.
 
“What do you mean where are they??” Hojo exclaimed, “After that brilliant show…how did you get all of my guards to just leave like that?”
 
Vincent stared at the madman, still pointing his gun at him. Hojo looked up at Vincent, and a slow realization came to him:
“You had nothing to do with it…” Hojo whispered, “My god…what is going on?!”
 
“That's what I want to know,” Vincent barked, “Where are Professor and Mrs. Gast??”
 
“I haven't the faintest,” Hojo smirked contemptuously, “And they likely have no idea where you and those two children are either. My, my…seeing how long it took for you to find them the first time…it could be decades before that sweet little girl ever sees her parents again. You've practically made her an orphan!”
 
“Who did this…?” Vincent hissed impatiently.
 
“To think that I'd find out the truth about Jenova…” Hojo chuckled as he got to his feet, “And in such a way…but that just makes things easier for me…they won't find Jenova here anymore once I tell the president everything that's happened…”
 
The way Hojo carried himself. His constant giggling…it was as if the man was having a nervous breakdown from whatever it was he'd seen.
 
Suddenly, Hojo grabbed a scalpel off a nearby table and thrust it at Vincent. The former Turk was able to side-step the attack easily.
 
“Gotten faster since our last encounter, eh?” Hojo snarled, “No matter- I should have simply killed you! Back then I wanted you to suffer, but I should have simply put you out of the way! He should have been my son!! You stole him, just like you stole Lucrecia! That bitch played me for a fool!”
 
Vincent cocked the gun.
 
“Sephiroth would have been in SOLDIER, and I would have killed Gast, and the two Cetra would be mine as well!!”
He lunged again, trying to grab Vincent's pistol and shove it aside. The gun went off.
 
Hojo fell to his knees, eyes half-closed, then toppled over onto his side. Blood began pouring from the wound to his temple.
 
“You will never catch me off-guard like that again,” Vincent told the fallen scientist, “Ever,”
 
He stood there for a moment longer, and then went back to where Wedge was waiting.
 
 
“I feel something…” said Sephiroth as he gripped his fishing rod.
 
Aeris rushed over excitedly. “You get a fish?”
 
“I think so,” Sephiroth grunted as he began reeling the fish in.
 
“Think it's a big one this time??” Aeris' eyes were as big as saucers.
 
“I think it's safe to assume that,” Sephiroth looked at how far the pole was bent.
 
“Don't let the string break!” Aeris told him.
 
“I'll try,” Sephiroth stood up and began tugging the rod back.
 
“I think it's coming out!!” Aeris squealed.
 
Indeed, a decent-sized fish emerged from the water. Sephiroth continued to reel it in until it was thrashing about only two feet from him.
 
“You'd better turn around,” Sephiroth reminded her.
 
Aeris' expression sobered as she turned and walked about ten feet away, covering her ears.
 
Sephiroth took the struggling fish and proceeded to whack it against the rock he'd been sitting on. After a couple times, the fish went limp.
 
“Is it over?” Aeris called out.
 
“Yes,” Sephiroth answered, “Let's go get a fire started,”
 
The past week they'd spent in the forest had been relaxing. Aeris eventually seemed more at home there than she had in Corel. He'd discovered that she had a way with animals. Birds weren't afraid to approach her, and she'd befriended a couple of rabbits whose hole was not far from their tents.
 
The first time she'd watched Sephiroth kill a fish he'd caught, she nearly cried. Since then, he'd always warned her when he was about to do the deed. Thankfully, she'd understood that it was important for them to eat healthy.
 
“The fish's spirit will return to the Planet, where it will be spun out again to live once more,” Aeris had told him afterward, “…But I still hate seeing the fish have to die,”
 
They arrived at the campsite, where the firewood was already in place thanks to Aeris. But to their surprise, the fire was already lit.
 
“Hmm?” Sephiroth went over to the fire and looked around.
 
One of the tents opened up, and Vincent stepped out.
 
“Mr. Valentine!” Aeris exclaimed, “You're back! Where's Mama and Papa?”
 
Vincent sighed. “I don't know,” he said.
 
Sephiroth scowled. “You don't know? What happened to the big rescue you had planned?”
 
Vincent ignored his son's sarcasm. “You're not going to believe this, but someone actually got to your parents first. Broke in and got rid of all the guards. Then they all disappeared into the night,”
 
“…But…” Aeris looked upset, “How are they gonna find us? How will we find them??”
 
Sephiroth laid a comforting hand on her shoulder.
 
“We'll find a way to locate them,” Vincent told her, “I've already got Avalanche working on trying to find them. After all, they helped me find them before,”
 
Which led Hojo to them as well…Sephiroth thought bitterly. Speaking of which… “What about Hojo?”
 
A faint hint of a smile appeared on Vincent's face. “Hojo is dead,”
 
Sephiroth almost smiled himself. “So what now?” he asked.
 
“I'm taking you to Cosmo Canyon,” said Vincent, “There's a couple who can provide you with a roof over your head and better food. We'll leave tomorrow morning. I brought an extra chocobo with me to make the journey faster,”
 
Aeris sat down dejectedly.
 
“You two have been well, I take it?” Vincent looked at each of them.
 
“Aeris learned to swim,” Sephiroth nudged the girl with his knee, “Right, Aeris? You're a natural,”
 
“Mmm-hmm,” Aeris said absently.
 
Vincent knelt down before the girl. “Aeris…” he said, “Aeris, look at me…I promise you…we will find your parents. It won't be easy, I have to admit. We have no idea where they are, but I think they're safe. It might take a long time, though. But in the meantime, I intend to keep you both safe, no matter what,”
 
“But you'll be behind the scenes, as usual,” Sephiroth rolled his eyes, “So what else is new?”
 
“Sephiroth, the greatest thing I can do for you and Aeris is to help put Shinra out of commission,” Vincent stood up to face his son. “I'd have loved nothing more than to have been able to raise you. At the time I brought you to Professor Gast, I was confused. I should have kept in touch, yes. And by the time I came to my senses, you were already gone. I searched for years trying to find you, and now I have. I intend to make up for that in any way I can,”
 
“So he's finally stepping up,” Sephiroth sneered, “What next? Will you put me over your knee if I come home past curfew?”
 
Vincent's eyes narrowed. “I know you're angry with me for abandoning you, and I deserve it. But this attitude of yours is beginning to wear just a little too thin even for me. I will give you one of two choices: you can come with me and leave your snide comments behind, or god help me, I'll act like a father whose son needs to be severely disciplined! Do I make myself clear??
 
Aeris dashed into one of the tents and zipped it up behind her.
 
Sephiroth stared in shock. Somewhere, during Vincent's brief speech, the man had grabbed Sephiroth by his shirt collar and was now glaring intensely at him. In his fifteen years, only Hojo had ever managed to scare him. But Sephiroth did indeed feel fear right now.
 
“Y-yes…” Sephiroth managed to say.
 
“Good…” Vincent released his hold on his son and resumed his usual stoic demeanor, “Now that that's settled, we can have some dinner, and then start packing. Aeris, stop being silly and come on out of there. I'm not going to bite you,”
 
He smiled inwardly as the little girl slowly came out of the tent and watched Sephiroth scale the fish.
 
Did I do all right, Lucrecia…?