Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Us And Them ❯ Chapter 6: June, 2181 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: June, 2181
 
The train came to a complete stop after ten minutes of running through one of the many underground tunnels that ran through Midgar. The people that had been riding stepped off, many of them taking care to avoid bumping into the sheath that stuck out from the belt of one of their fellow passengers.
 
Some merely took care to avoid it as they hurried on their way. A few took time to glance at the sword's owner, and found themselves shocked to see it was a teenaged girl, clad in a sleeveless pink shirt and blue denim cut-offs, her long brown hair tied back with a matching pink ribbon. Upon looking at her gentle, cheerful demeanor, one had to wonder at the oxymoron standing before them. Was the world really that corrupt that the typical girl-next-door was carrying a sword like it was a purse?
 
Aeris Gast got off, finally, and took a look around her, gazing at her new surroundings. It was the first time she'd ever been in Midgar, and one of the few times in her seventeen years that she was able to travel alone.
 
She reached into her bag and fished out a sheet of paper with an address, and directions. The place she'd be crashing at for the time being was located in Sector Five, where she now stood.
 
Past a run-down church and near a waterfall, the last of the directions read.
 
She looked around once more, and then began to make her way out of the station.
 
“Excuse me,”
 
Aeris felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around to see a girl about her age standing behind her. She had brown hair tied back into a ponytail. A red bandanna kept her long bangs out of her face. Decked out in a blue shirt and simple brown shorts, her tomboyish manner obvious to anyone, the girl looked around casually.
 
“They say grass and flowers don't grow in Midgar,” she commented.
 
Aeris recognized the secret code that Sephiroth had taught her before she'd gone ahead to Midgar. We'll see about that…she couldn't help thinking. “That's what hydroponics are for, aren't they?”
 
The girl smiled. “My name's Jessie. Your brother didn't like the idea of you walking through Midgar alone, so he sent me here to find you,”
 
Typical…Aeris thought. “Nice to meet you, Jessie,” Aeris held out her hand, which Jessie accepted.
 
“Likewise,” said Jessie, “Let's get going. Should only take us about fifteen minutes to get there,”
 
“All right,” Aeris followed Jessie out of the station.
 
“How was the train ride?”
 
“It was fun! I never rode on one before,”
 
“Never?”
 
“Closest to that was when I rode the tram to the Gold Saucer on my seventh birthday,”
 
The two girls continued to talk as they walked down the nearly deserted road.
 
They came near the church mentioned in the directions, when Aeris heard a rustling noise.
 
“Wait,” Aeris held the other girl back.
 
“What's wrong?” Jessie frowned.
 
Aeris waited for a moment, until a wino staggered out of the church. He stared briefly at the girls, but soon stumbled away once he saw Aeris drawing her sword and assuming a fighting stance.
 
“Oh, that,” Jessie waved her hand dismissively, “Winos hang out at that old church all the time. It's the only really decent place they have to sleep. They're pretty much harmless,”
 
Aeris sheathed her sword, and looked sheepishly at her companion. “Guess I just came across as a paranoid nutcase, huh?”
 
“From what I've heard about you and Sephiroth, you have every right to be on edge,” Jessie gave her a sympathetic smile.
 
“Just what have people been blabbing about me?” Aeris put her hands on her hips and pretended to look angry.
 
“Nothing bad, I assure you,” Jessie laughed, “But Avalanche is like a big family, so get used to having some of your secrets revealed,”
 
Aeris shifted uncomfortably. Jessie didn't seem to notice. Could she trust Avalanche with the secret of her heritage? Did they already know? After all, they had to know some of the reason that Hojo had come after them all those years ago.
 
“And…what else do you know?” Aeris stopped and looked at the other girl.
 
“That Sephiroth was originally supposed to be some kind of super-SOLDIER, and that your mother knew secrets about some place filled with ass-loads of mako,”
 
Aeris looked relieved. That was only part of the truth, and the only part she felt comfortable with them knowing. “Yes, they want to strip the Planet of mako…but it's not that simple. The trees you cut down can always be replanted. Animals can be raised for food. But there's no effective way to replenish the world's supply of mako…especially if Shinra's so bent on having the world powered by it,”
 
“They replenish it all right…” Jessie grumbled, “By killing innocent people,”
 
“So you do know the real origins of mako, then?” Aeris smiled, “No wonder you guys are against Shinra,”
 
“That it's the physical manifestation of what the Ancients referred to as `the lifestream'? Well, it wasn't until recently that we started to realize the consequences of abusing mako,” Jessie explained, “A man from Cosmo Canyon named Bugenhagen had this machine that could give the Planet a voice- just like the Ancients could hear the planet, now humans can too, Wait…wasn't it…?”
 
Aeris nodded. “It was my father who built that machine. He came to Cosmo Canyon a lot. I lived there myself for a few years. Bugenhagen is an amazing man. Have you met his grandson?”
 
“Oh, I never met Bugenhagen personally,” Jessie shook her head, “I haven't even been to Cosmo Canyon. But our branch over there told us everything about that machine,”
 
Aeris nodded. “The Planet seems to be in discomfort. And it blames the unbalance of mako,”
 
“Which is why we're here to stop the abuse,” Jessie smiled proudly, “We've only been able to do little things here and there…but now our membership is at a record high. And we've got people who can fight. We're going to be taking things to the next level very soon,”
 
Aeris nodded again as they made their way to their destination.
 
 
“We're back!” Jessie announced as she and Aeris walked through the front door.
 
“Ah, you found her, then,” a woman's voice could be heard coming from another room, “Just a minute,”
 
A moment later, a middle-aged woman emerged from the kitchen. Her dark hair was pulled up in a bun, and she wore a simple green dress. She removed her white apron and draped it over a chair nearby.
 
“So you must be Aeris,” the woman smiled as she approached the two girls, “Vincent has told me a lot about you over the years. It's nice to finally get to meet you,” She held out her hand, “I'm Elmyra Gainsborough,”
 
“Pleased to meet you,” Aeris took the woman's hand, “Where's Sephiroth?”
 
“He's training a couple of rookies,” said Elmyra, “Anyway- come with me,”
 
She led the two girls out the back door. Aeris looked around and smiled at the sight around her.
 
To her left was a man-made waterfall. A huge skylight stood hundreds of feet above them. Ahead of her was a set of stairs leading to two large platforms, where two other buildings stood.
 
“Welcome to `Elmyra's Bed & Breakfast',” Jessie gestured around her, “Also known as Avalanche Headquarters. This is where some of the members crash from time to time,”
“Do you live here?” Aeris asked.
 
“Nah,” Jessie shook her head, “I live with my older cousin Biggs and his buddy Wedge. Biggs is actually one of the guys that Sephiroth has been training,”
 
“You'll be staying here,” Elmyra opened the door to the first building and led the girls inside. She stopped at a door at the end of the hallway. “You'll be just across from Sephiroth,”
 
Aeris opened the door and looked inside. It was a simple bedroom, as one would expect to find at a Bed & Breakfast. There was a dresser with a mirror on the far side of the room, while in the corner was a twin-sized bed, right across from a small closet. A plain beige rug lay in the center of the room.
 
“Oh, wow…” Aeris dropped her belongings and went over to the bed, plopping down on it. “Oh, it's so soft!” she rolled around on it.
 
“Geez…” Jessie couldn't help but chuckle at the girl's enthusiasm over an ordinary bed.
 
“The best sleeping bag in the world doesn't compare to this!” Aeris laughed happily, “I could lie here all day!”
“Then you're not interested in coming with me to see The Behemoths later tonight?” Jessie asked.
 
Aeris sat up. “The rock band?”
 
“The same,” Jessie nodded, “They're playing a secret show at the Sector 3 club. I'd go with Biggs and Wedge normally, but they're training late tonight. Besides- I'm tired of hanging with those…guys all the time. We'll make it a girls' night out. Come on- it should be way more interesting than lying around in that bed!”
 
“I've never been to a rock concert before,” Aeris said with a grin, “Wow…this day just keeps getting better and better!”
Elmyra smiled. “Well, I hate to leave so soon, but I've got to finish dinner for six people…seven if Jessie decides to stay,”
 
“Which I will,” Jessie interjected.
 
“Seven people, it is,” Elmyra nodded, “All right. Jessie, perhaps you can introduce Aeris to the other three current tenants. I believe she knows them, actually,”
 
As if on cue, loud footsteps could be heard coming down the stairs. A couple other sets of steps followed behind.
 
“Where the &%*# is she??” an equally loud voice demanded.
 
“Oh my…” Aeris smiled, “I do know that person…”
 
Elmyra chuckled as she left the room.
 
Barrett Wallace reached the bottom of the stairs and scanned the hallway until his eyes found Aeris. “Damn!!” he exclaimed as he ran over to the girl and lifted her up into a giant bear hug, “Damned if I thought I'd ever see you or your brother again!”
 
He spun her around a bit before setting her back on the ground.
 
“I can't believe I'm seeing you either,” said Aeris, “Ten years, it's been…”
 
“And you sure did grow up,” Barrett looked at her, “I can see why you got that sword- must have to be fighting guys off left and right!”
 
Aeris blushed. “Fugitives don't exactly have time for that kind of thing,”
 
“So no greeting for us?”
 
Barrett's old friends Dyne and Eleanor stood at the bottom of the stairs. Aeris remembered Sephiroth running off with them occasionally after work. They were the only other two people whom Sephiroth had considered to be his friends.
 
“Oh!” Aeris exclaimed, “I almost didn't recognize you two!”
 
“Same could be said for you,” Eleanor hugged the younger woman, “Oh, I'm so glad that the two of you were all right. And…I'm so sorry about your parents,”
 
“There's still hope,” Aeris pointed out.
 
“Right,” Eleanor corrected herself as she stepped back, “And I hope you find them eventually,”
“Thank you,” Aeris nodded.
 
“Guess I didn't need to re-introduce anybody,” Jessie shrugged, “Stealing my thunder as usual, eh, Barrett?”
 
“Oh, hey, Jessie,” Barrett finally noticed the other girl standing nearby.
 
“Ugh!” Jessie threw her hands up in frustration, “Don't forget about dinner. See ya,”
 
She left.
 
“So how did you end up falling in with Avalanche?” Aeris asked.
 
“That damn fire,” Barrett growled, “Ever since Shinra burned down your house and those two others…”
 
“They did what?!” Aeris looked horrified.
 
“You never saw what they did to your house?” Dyne looked surprised, “We all thought you and your family had died in that fire,”
 
Aeris looked at the ground sadly. Shinra really had taken everything away from her. At least she still had Sephiroth, even if she was seeing him less often due to his missions.
 
“Five years ago, Barrett was in Rocket Town visiting friends,” Eleanor continued, “He wandered off one night and ended up at some meeting of radical extremists. Those extremists were a separate branch of Avalanche. He told us everything he'd found out, and we eventually became part of the group's big plan,”
 
“Avalanche is everywhere, huh?” Aeris commented.
 
“And growing,” Dyne added, “It's all thanks to Mrs. G. Ten years ago, Avalanche was just the name of an underground anti-Shinra newsletter. But when she cast her lot in with us, everything changed,”
 
“What is she to Avalanche?” Aeris asked.
 
“Our financial savior,” Dyne answered in a low voice, “Basically- her husband was loaded. He was a colonel in SOLDIER, and he was making a very good living. Plus, he had an inheritance. He went to Wutai, against his will. He didn't believe in a lot of what Shinra was doing. Then he was killed in action. Well, Mrs. G. had already known Vincent, and he introduced her to the rest of Avalanche soon after. She used her husband's money to build the bed & breakfast, and used the rest to fund whatever Avalanche-related activities she could,”
 
“Amazing woman,” said Eleanor.
 
Turned a tragedy into something that can give people hope…Aeris thought, Part of the reason I came here instead of staying in hiding...
 
“So what else have you been up to all these years?” Aeris asked.
 
“Well, they finally got married,” Barrett gestured toward Dyne and Eleanor.
 
Aeris grinned. “So you finally did it!” Dyne and Eleanor had been on-again, off-again sweethearts when Aeris was a little girl. “How long has it been?”
 
“Two years last month,” Eleanor beamed.
 
Aeris smiled warmly. “Congratulations,”
 
“Let's go see what Mrs. G. has going for dinner,” Dyne suggested, “We'll catch up while we eat,”
 
 
Vincent raised an eyebrow. “A rock show?” he asked as he sat down on the sofa in Elmyra's living room later that evening.
 
The woman nodded. “Don't worry- it's just a club in Sector 3,”
 
Vincent shook his head. “It's not that. I know Aeris will be fine. She's grown strong these past ten years. She isn't the timid child she was when I first met her. It's actually rather comforting to hear it,”
 
“She hasn't been able to live the life of a normal teenager, has she?”
 
“No,” Vincent sighed, “And it's not good. At least Sephiroth was able to enjoy the first couple years of his adolescence,”
 
Elmyra smiled. “She's like a daughter to you, isn't she?”
 
“Yes, I suppose,” Vincent admitted, “That, and I also owe her father my sanity. Yet, it's been ten years since her parents disappeared, and we have very few leads. It's hard…trying to stop Shinra, and yet I have my own personal mission. I still can't help wondering if Sephiroth still blames me for their being kidnapped,”
 
“Vincent…” Elmyra said as she sat down next to him, “You carry the world on your shoulders when you really shouldn't. You take the blame for every bad thing that happens. When are you going to stop doing that? At this rate, you'll drive yourself to an early grave,”
 
“When Shinra Inc. has finally crumbled, then I may be able to relax,” said Vincent, “But…at times I wonder. It's been ten years since your contributions turned this organization into what it is,”
 
Our contributions,” Elmyra corrected him, “I simply gave Avalanche the funds it needed and provided a safe haven. You're the one who trained our marksmen. And now your son is training future swordsmen. And you did kill Hojo. Oh, I remember that celebration we all had when we heard that news. And to think I'd been worried that we didn't have enough skilled fighters when you were all we needed,”
 
“What about the failed assassination attempt on President Shinra two years ago that cost two young adults their lives?” Vincent argued.
 
“An honest lapse in judgment,” Elmyra told him, “We were pleased with the progress that we'd made, and thought that we could dispatch him,”
 
“And instead, they were taken out by Turks hidden just as they were,” Vincent continued, “Their tactics are much different now than they were twenty-five years ago,”
 
“Vincent, if you constantly blame yourself, then why do you continue to stay here and fight?”
 
“What else is there for me to do?” Vincent shrugged, “I'm in too deep to back out now. I'm just short of being a wanted felon. Until Shinra is gone, I won't be able to just live out my life in peace, and neither will my son, nor Aeris, or anyone else who has been targeted by them,”
Elmyra nodded. The two sat in silence for some time.
 
“When do you expect Aeris to return?” Vincent asked finally.
 
“Probably not until eleven or so,” Elmyra looked at the clock.
 
“Very well,” Vincent stood up. “I'll be in my room for the rest of the evening should you need me. If not, then goodnight,”
“Goodnight, Vincent,” Elmyra smiled.
 
 
“So I take it Sephiroth taught you to use a sword?” Jessie asked as she and Aeris sat at a table near the stage.
 
“Yeah,” Aeris nodded, “We'd just settled into Cosmo Canyon under the care of a couple from Avalanche. It was just something for me to do after school. Plus, Sephiroth figured he couldn't be with me all the time, and was worried I couldn't defend myself,”
 
“How long did you spend there?”
 
“Cosmo Canyon? Oh, about three years,” Aeris answered, “Then Vincent decided that we shouldn't stay in one place for too long, even though Hojo was dead. We ended up in Costa Del Sol where we lived with an old man for six months. Unfortunately, that seemed to be a favorite vacationing spot for Turks in the wintertime, so Vincent decided we should get out of there immediately. So, we lived near Fort Condor by ourselves since then. Vincent would show up occasionally. He even gave me this sword on my fifteenth birthday. Three years ago, Sephiroth officially joined Avalanche, and I was on my own a lot more,”
 
“Yeah, I met Sephiroth two years ago when I joined,” said Jessie.
 
“How old are you?” Aeris asked.
 
“Nineteen,” Jessie replied, “What about you?”
 
“Seventeen. We had a neighbor who looked after me a bit whenever Sephiroth was away. Mrs. Gainsborough reminds me of her, actually,”
 
“So did you not have a decent bed in Fort Condor?” Jessie smirked, remembering Aeris' reaction to seeing the bed in her room.
 
“It only had one mattress,” Aeris explained, “And I decided to do some camping for a couple of weeks before coming here, so it's a nice change,”
 
“Everyone put your hands together for The Behemoths!!” the emcee yelled from the stage.
 
The entire room exploded into wild applause.
 
“YEAH!!!!” yelled a young man with black spiky hair, “ROCK AND ROLL!!!!”
 
He began pounding the table.
 
Aeris and Jessie looked at the man's enthusiastic reaction and laughed.
 
The lights suddenly shone on the stage, and a five-piece glam band began to play.
 
“I love this song!!!” the spiky-haired man shouted.
 
His companion, a youth with blond, equally spiky hair, slid downward in his chair, clearly embarrassed by his friend's behavior.
 
Aeris leaned back in her chair, enjoying the show. She'd heard this band's songs on the radio for the past two years, but there was definitely something different about seeing them in the flesh and hearing them up close.
 
“Shit…!” Jessie exclaimed.
 
“What's the matter?”
 
“Don't look now,” Jessie said to Aeris, “But a couple of Turks just came in,”
 
“What?!” Aeris looked panicked.
 
“Don't worry- I don't think they're after anyone,” Jessie reassured her, “I think they're just here to see the band…not that it makes it any better…”
 
Aeris glanced around nervously and found the Turks that Jessie was talking about. There were two of them sitting in the back of the room. One was a tall, muscular bald man with sunglasses dangling from his shirt collar. The other was a skinny guy close to Aeris and Jessie's ages, with wild red hair that he kept back in a messy ponytail. She then noticed Jessie glaring intensely at them.
 
“Do you know them?” Aeris asked.
 
“Huh?” Jessie snapped out of it, “Oh, no. I don't know them. But…they're Turks. They're Shinra's most evil product, if you ask me,”
 
“They can't be all evil,” Aeris smiled, “Vincent used to be a Turk,”
 
Used to be,” Jessie pointed out, “He wised up, and is one of Avalanche's leaders now. He's looked after you and Sephiroth. Yeah, he's Mr. Doom and Gloom most of the time, but he's not a bad guy at all. The ones still wearing the blue suits…they're scum,”
 
“Well…” Aeris looked at the stage, “Forget about them- I mean, do you really wanna let those guys ruin your whole evening? You like this band, right? Just concentrate on them,”
 
“I suppose you're right,” Jessie acknowledged.
 
The red-haired Turk had been watching the show while nursing a bottle of beer for a few minutes. Now, he had begun to glare at the spiky-haired man, who was now singing along loudly and off-key, trying to get his blond friend to join him. Finally, he got up and went over to their table.
 
“Hey,” he tapped the man on his shoulder, “You're totally killing my buzz right now,”
 
“What? I can't enjoy myself?” the young man asked with a grin.
 
“Not if you're gonna keep pissing me off like that,” the Turk replied.
 
“Hey, man,” the guy leaned back in his chair, “Come on- we're here to just kick back and relax. It's not all about you,”
 
“But it's all about you and your lame-ass singing voice? What, are you auditioning for backing vocals or something?”
 
“If he wants to sing along, then let him!”
 
The Turk turned around to see Jessie standing behind him, arms crossed.
 
“What the hell is it to ya?” the Turk scowled.
 
“You come in here thinking you can pick on anyone who annoys you,” said Jessie, “I've seen it before- you Turks are all the same! Midgar is your own little playground, and everyone here is merely a tool for your entertainment,”
 
Don't try to freaking analyze me, bitch!” the Turk shouted.
 
“Hey!!”
 
The blond kid stood up and was now glaring at the Turk.
 
“What- you got a problem too, pretty-boy?” the redhead sneered.
 
“Please…” Aeris went over to them, “Let's not cause a scene. The band went through all this trouble to play a small, intimate gig for their fans. Let's not ruin it all just because one fan has a lousy voice,”
 
“Hey!” the raven-haired young man exclaimed indignantly.
 
The older Turk approached the table. “Reno, for once in your life, just shut up and sit down,”
 
His companion spun around to face him. “But Rude-!”
 
“Let it go,” the bald man waved his hand, “How do you expect to get anywhere in this line of work if you let any little thing provoke you into fighting?”
 
“But if I'm outnumbered-!”
“You brought that on yourself,” Rude grabbed Reno's arm and dragged him away, “Let's go hit the bar. This place doesn't even have anything decent to drink…”
 
Jessie watched the two leave the club. “It never changes…” she muttered angrily.
 
“Well!” the dark-haired man smiled brightly, “It isn't every day that I get two pretty ladies rushing to my defense,”
 
“He had no right,” Jessie stated.
 
“Well regardless…” the young man stood up and pulled out the other two empty chairs at his table, “Why don't you sit down and join us?”
 
Aeris looked at Jessie, who shrugged. The two girls sat down.
 
“My name's Zack,” the man gestured at himself, “That's my buddy Cloud,”
 
Cloud waved uncomfortably, his moment of bravery having faded now that he was in the company of the two pretty girls.
 
Aeris beamed. “Pleased to meet you both. I'm Aeris, and this is Jessie,”
 
“You guys big fans?” Zack asked.
 
“Hell yeah!” Jessie exclaimed, “I'm still amazed that I was lucky enough to find out about the show. How'd you guys find out?”
 
“Let's just say we have connections,” Zack said with a smirk, “Did you know that they're actually in the studio working on a new album?”
 
“They are?” Aeris looked excited.
 
“Yeah, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they play some of the new songs tonight,” said Zack.
 
“Hey, can we hold off on the conversation for a bit?” Cloud butted in as the band started another song, “This one's my favorite!”
 
Zack rolled his eyes. “Okay, since you asked me nicely…!”
 
 
“Man, that rocked!” Jessie exclaimed as she and Aeris approached the bed & breakfast.
 
“Those two guys were kinda cute, don't you think?” Aeris asked.
 
“Cloud was kind of a babe,” Jessie admitted, “He's kinda young, though. He'll probably be a total hottie in a few more years,”
 
“I think they're both attractive in different ways,” said Aeris, “Zack with his handsome ruggedness, Cloud in that shy but adorable way about him…”
 
“I guess…” Jessie shrugged before opening the door.
 
“I thought you lived somewhere else,” Aeris pointed out.
 
“I do,” Jessie nodded, “But it's late, and I don't wanna walk home alone. There's usually one empty room, so I can just crash there for tonight,”
 
They stepped inside the lobby, greeting the receptionist. They continued on to the common area. In one of the chairs near the one lamp in the room sat Sephiroth, reading a book.
 
“Sephy!” Aeris exclaimed as she ran over to him and threw her arms around his neck.
 
Jessie snickered silently upon hearing Aeris' old nickname for the swordsman.
 
“Out rather late, don't you think?” Sephiroth commented.
 
“I wanted to see my first rock show,” Aeris told him as she stepped back.
 
“Jessie,” Sephiroth nodded politely at the other girl.
 
“Hey, Seph,” Jessie yawned. “Man, I'm gonna fall asleep standing up in a minute. Guess I'll go see which room I'll be sleeping in tonight,”
 
“Goodnight,” said Aeris, “Thanks for a fun time!”
 
“No problem. `Night, you two,”
 
“Goodnight,” Sephiroth called after her.
 
“It's so good to see you again!” Aeris said excitedly, “I'm so glad I came to Midgar!”
 
“Right into the lions' den,” Sephiroth reminded her.
 
“Ugh! Are you going to try and talk me into going back to Fort Condor again?” Aeris rolled her eyes, “Because I told you it's not gonna work,”
“You should have at least finished high school,” Sephiroth told her.
 
“What for?” Aeris snorted, “As much as I would have loved to go to college like a normal girl, you and I both know that's impossible considering the files Shinra has on us,”
 
“I wish it could be different,” Sephiroth closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead.
 
“I know you'd change everything if you could. That's what I love about you,” Aeris put her arms around Sephiroth again, and then frowned. “Why do you always get so stiff when I hug you? There used to be a time when you could take a hug without getting so rigid,”
 
There used to be a time when you didn't have breasts…Sephiroth thought.
 
“I guess I'll turn in now,” she paused, and spoke in a softer tone, “…You've been away too long, Sephy,”
 
“Must you still call me that?” Sephiroth muttered.
 
Aeris giggled. “Goodnight, `big brother',”
 
She left.
 
Ah, Aeris, Sephiroth thought miserably, I left you behind to protect you, and yet you still had to follow me eventually…what's going to happen now…?