Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Us And Them ❯ Chapter 8: Gongaga ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Gongaga
 
Aeris woke up early the next morning. Everyone involved in the mission had been up until almost three in the morning as further discussions ensued following the briefing. As a result, the B&B had been rather quiet, as everyone had slept late.
 
After having breakfast with Dyne and Eleanor, Aeris had gone back to her room. Digging through her belongings, she found a packet of tulip seeds that she'd been holding onto for a while, as well as her prized trowel. She then went outside, stopping in the kitchen first to get a glass of water- the closest thing to a watering can that she'd likely find in Midgar.
 
The teen knelt down at the side of the house and proceeded to dig up the thin soil.
 
“So you're back to that again?” a familiar voice asked her.
 
Aeris looked up to see Sephiroth standing over her. “Oh, hi!” she greeted him, “Yeah- I had this great idea to make a little extra pocket money. If it's true that nothing can grow in Midgar, then this outta be my biggest challenge yet. After all, I was making things grow out of rock in Cosmo Canyon when I was nine. Flowers here would be worth a lot of money, don't you think?”
 
“I hate to break it to you,” Sephiroth told her, “But not many people in Midgar would really care about flowers,”
 
Aeris was unfazed. “Then think of it as some kind of subterfuge. Who would suspect an innocent flower girl of working with terrorists? Plus, if I could just sell even a couple flowers every day for one gil, every day, I could at least make something,”
 
“What do you want to buy?” Sephiroth reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet, “I'll take care of it for you,”
 
“I want to buy it myself!” Aeris looked frustrated, “I want to buy a dress. I haven't had a new one in ages,”
 
“A dress doesn't exactly serve much purpose for a swordswoman,” Sephiroth told her as he put his wallet away.
 
Aeris ignored him. “I saw the perfect outfit at Wall Market the other day. This pink dress, and one of those padded short-sleeved jackets. It was red…oh, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it!”
 
“Don't short sleeves defeat the purpose of a jacket?” Sephiroth wondered aloud.
 
“I guess I could expect that kind of remark coming from a guy who's had that same cloak for five years,” Aeris rolled her eyes.
 
“What's wrong with it?” Sephiroth absently touched one of the lapels of his trench coat-like cloak.
 
“You just don't understand the aesthetic aspect of clothing,” Aeris shook her head, “Guys never do,”
 
“Forgive me. I guess trying to rid the world of an evil corporation that ruined our lives isn't enough,” Sephiroth deadpanned.
 
“Anyway,” Aeris continued, “These flowers are for Mrs. G. Sort of a way to thank her for taking me in and all. I was thinking of trying to find another place to plant the ones I want to sell,”
 
“Don't you have to get ready for tomorrow?” Sephiroth asked her.
 
“Well, yeah,” Aeris nodded, “But that shouldn't take more than a couple hours. The day is still young, after all,”
 
“Ambitious as always,” Sephiroth commented.
 
Just then, a young man on a motor scooter rode by, tossing a newspaper at the front door. On the front page was a giant headline about the reactor explosion. The carrier turned around and sped away.
 
Sephiroth picked up the newspaper and began to read. “It says that Sector 2 still doesn't have any power,”
 
Aeris shrugged. “Shinra never invested in any backup form of power. Corrupt and cheap,”
 
Sephiroth's mouth twisted into a frown as he read the rest of the article. “All they did was make Shinra look like heroes. Even the newspapers can't be trusted!”
 
“I guess that was to be expected,”
 
“I suppose,” Sephiroth folded the newspaper back into place and tossed it back down. “Not like I did this for fame and recognition,”
 
“There!” Aeris patted down the last of the thin soil, “All set. I'll check on it later tonight. Just a little more special treatment ought to make them grow just fine while I'm gone,”
 
Sephiroth nodded silently. “I should get some breakfast,” he said, “Or lunch, I suppose,”
“See ya later, then,” Aeris smiled as he walked over to the B&B.
_____________________________________________________________
 
“Clothes…check. Sword…never leave home without it. Tent and sleeping bag…check. Lantern…check. Non-perishable food…check. Train ticket out of Midgar…check. Books so I don't get bored, check!”
 
Aeris smiled, satisfied that her preparations were complete.
 
Aside from her packing, she had spent most of the day relaxing, as had the rest of Avalanche. She'd then gone to bed early, sleeping peacefully until she awoke at six the next morning.
 
Aeris grabbed her belongings and headed over to the dining area.
 
“Good morning, Aeris,” Elmyra greeted her as she walked inside.
 
“Good morning,” Aeris nodded, “What's for breakfast?”
 
“Nibelheim waffles,” Elmyra set a plate before the girl, “I figured you'd be up early, so I made a special dish for you,”
 
“You didn't have to do that…thank you so much!” Aeris immediately dug into her breakfast.
 
“I'm surprised Sephiroth wasn't up as well,” Elmyra smiled, “I half expected him to escort you to the train station himself,”
 
Aeris rolled her eyes and swallowed her food. “Yeah, that's Sephiroth for you,”
 
“He's not exactly the most sociable man,” said Elmyra, “But his devotion to your well-being is admirable,”
 
“Gets a little annoying sometimes,” Aeris admitted, “Sometimes, he seems to play the role of a surrogate father as well as a big brother,”
 
“He means well,”
 
“Oh, I know,” Aeris acknowledged, “It was mostly after my parents disappeared that he became so protective of me. And I'm glad he was there for me in the beginning. That time after leaving Corel was the scariest time of my life,”
“I'm sure it was,” Elmyra nodded sympathetically.
 
“But he took my mind off it all,” Aeris went on, “He taught me to swim when we were staying in the Ancient Forest. He taught me to use a sword when we moved to Cosmo Canyon. And I always feel safe when I'm around him,”
 
“Reminds me of my late husband,” Elmyra smiled wistfully.
 
Aeris laughed nervously. “I think there's a difference there, Mrs. G,”
 
Elmyra chuckled. “I suppose,”
 
 
It's been a while since I've been on a boat…Aeris thought as she stood at the railing of the large vessel.
“Mommy, can I have a sword?” she heard a little girl asking her mother nearby.
 
“Swords aren't for young ladies,” the mother replied.
 
“But she has one!” the girl pointed at Aeris.
 
“Don't point!” the mother scolded as she hurried the girl away.
 
Aeris absently touched the hilt of her sword. What would my mother have thought of me using one of these? She then shook her head. She'd have understood…no, rather encouraged it.
 
Thinking back to when a time when she was six, Aeris let her memories carry her away.
_____________________________________________________________
 
“Long ago, our people were strong warriors who would always protect their world from harm. Every world they settled into, it was the same,”
 
“Did they travel to a lot of worlds?”
 
“A lot of them did. They liked to travel a lot…to see other places…and make them come alive,”
 
“Why don't we get to go to other planets, Mama? Is it because Papa and Sephy aren't Cetra?”
 
“Well, sweetie, the means to travel like that have been lost to us for centuries. But someday, when you're much older, you'll at least get the chance to travel to other countries,”
 
“That sounds neat!”
 
“Yes, it is. But you'll have to grow up strong, just like your ancestors. As far as I know, you and I are the only Cetra left. And there are people who would want to come after us, since we're all alone against them,”
 
“Why do people want to come after us?”
 
“Because we're different. And unfortunately, there are people who don't like others who are different,”
 
“That's why I'm not s'posed to tell anyone about what we are, right? And why Sephy can't tell anyone what he is?”
 
“Yes, I'm afraid so,”
 
“I won't tell anyone, Mama! And I'll grow up to be big and strong, just like Sephy…!”
 
 
Aeris closed her eyes at the memory. She'd be proud of me…I know she would…wherever she is…
 
Opening her eyes again, Aeris noticed the strip of land in the horizon. She knew they were approaching Costa Del Sol. Soon the rest of her journey would continue. It would take a few more days before she reached Gongaga, and the prospect of camping out for a couple nights under the stars never failed to excite her. She was definitely a nature-lover, that was for sure.
 
Attention, passengers!” a voice on the PA system announced, “We will be docking shortly. Please gather all of your belongings and prepare to disembark,
 
Aeris grinned excitedly as she headed toward her cabin.
 
And so the adventure resumes…she thought.
_____________________________________________________________< /i>
 
The land of Gongaga was exactly as Aeris remembered from her travels as a child. Before her stood a barren, desert city full of crumbling buildings. In the distance, she could see the withering farmlands, barely yielding enough food for the farmers to exchange within the area.
 
Aeris once again felt the familiar urge rising up within her. The urge to put everything else aside and save this place from its dilapidated state. All it would take was one seed…
 
She shook her head, reminding herself that she was here on a different mission. Gathering her thoughts, she took out the piece of paper giving her directions to the house where the agents lived. She would be on her own, this time. Elmyra had given her specific instructions not to ask for directions. Now that Avalanche had made their big move the other night, no chances could be taken to arouse the suspicion of anyone.
 
Aeris made her way down the road, searching for the first street sign on her list. Looking carefully, she spotted it in under a minute. She turned onto that street, and followed it until she came to a fork in the road. As the directions said, she took a right onto a small dead-end. At that end was a small white house.
 
Bingo!
 
Aeris grinned as she made her way over to the house and knocked on the door.
_____________________________________________________________< /i>
 
The sun was beginning to set as Zack looked around, smiling sadly. As much as he loved his family, after being around the world with SOLDIER, Gongaga had become a letdown whenever he returned.
 
Someday, I'll get them away from here…they deserve more than this…
 
After the reactor explosion, his superior officers had given him some time off while they looked for another place to assign him to. Since it had been over a year since he'd been home, Zack had decided to surprise his parents, having arrived just a few days ago.
 
Greeting a few familiar faces, the young soldier made his way down the dirt road leading back home.
 
“It's him!”
 
“Told you he was back!”
 
Zack turned around to see a couple teenage girls watching him from the distance. He flashed them his winning smile and waved. The two girls ran away giggling.
 
I feel like a pop star or something….Zack smiled and shook his head as he turned to go.
 
Wham!!
 
Zack hadn't seen the other person walking in the opposite direction. Hastily, he began to apologize, when he saw a familiar face.
 
“Zack??” Aeris exclaimed, “Wow- imagine meeting you here of all places!”
 
Zack almost smiled, until he remembered who her friend had turned out to be.
 
“Did your friend Jessie send you to spy on me?” he glared at her.
 
“Whoa- what's Jessie have to do with this?” Aeris asked confusedly.
 
“I know she was one of the people involved in bombing the reactor,” Zack told her.
 
Aeris went deathly pale.
 
“So she didn't tell you, did she?” Zack smirked, “Allow me to reintroduce myself: Zack Fair- SOLDIER 1st class. I was given leave since the reactor is no longer there for me to guard,”
 
“So the happy-go-lucky tone-deaf guy I met at the show was just a façade?” Aeris' eyes narrowed at the thought of having been deceived.
 
“ARGH!! Enough with the `tone-deaf' bit!!” Zack exploded, “I suppose you're some kind of siren yourself??”
 
“Don't change the subject!” Aeris shot back, “I had no idea you were going to Gongaga as well! Had I known you were in SOLDIER, I never would have come!”
 
“Well, regardless…” Zack shook his head, “…I can't believe you're all bad. Jessie did warn me…and they took great care to ensure that no one was killed. Just…why bomb the reactor in the first place?”
 
Why??” Aeris was incredulous, “Are you really that oblivious?? One- the massive use of mako creates a huge imbalance that has increased in recent years. Two- mako should NOT be used as a steroid on humans- that's really dangerous! Three- Shinra mows down anyone that gets in their way!”
 
“Yeah, well if it wasn't for Shinra,” Zack snapped, “My father would be dead right now! Look around you! This isn't exactly the land of milk and honey! We're all poor people, and when my dad got sick last year, it was my paycheck that paid for the operation that saved his life!”
 
“For every happy ending like yours,” Aeris countered, “There's five more like me. My childhood was ruined because of Professor Hojo!”
 
“He's been dead for ten years,” Zack told her, “You'd allow a reactor to get blown up for some ancient history?”
 
“You just don't get it!!” Aeris shouted angrily, “I still have to deal with the after-effects! What Hojo did was done with the blessing of President Shinra himself!”
Zack turned away from Aeris. Then after a few seconds, he spoke:
“I'm sorry you had to deal with whatever was done to you. But you don't get it either…all my parents wanted…all I wanted…was for me to get out of Gongaga and seek my fortune somewhere else. But how was I supposed to do that? You think places in Midgar or even Cosmo Canyon will hire some country bumpkin from a backwater country? There's no way to pay for college. SOLDIER put me through school at no expense. When I get my degree next year, I'll be able to get a job anywhere I want!”
 
“So you only joined to further your future…” Aeris looked thoughtful, “How ironic…”
“Look…” Zack sighed, “I don't wanna fight you. And…I'm not gonna turn you or your friend in either. Don't ask me why- I don't know myself, but I'm not saying anything,”
 
“…Thanks,” said Aeris.
 
“I should go,” Zack backed away, “I guess I'll see ya around,”
 
“Yeah,” Aeris said quietly, “See ya…”