Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ 20000 Seconds ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Ok, so this is my first attempt at writing Furuba Fan Fiction. And to be perfectly honest, I'm scared to death that it's horrible, so although this is somewhat short, I think I'm just going to post this and see what kind of response I get, and that will decide whether or not I'm going to post the rest. So please, if you `re going to review, Be Gentle!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Fruits Basket or any of its characters. If you try to sue me you'll get $20 bucks and a ferret. Really, is it worth it?!
 
*********************************************************** ************
 
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOHRU-CHAN!!”
 
Tohru winced and held the phone away from her ear while Kagura sang off key. When she finally heard silence, she returned the receiver. Laughing, she replied “Thank you Kagura. How are you?”
 
“Oh, I'm fine. I just thought I'd call and be the first to give you happy wishes. I tried to get Kyo to sing with me, but he has training to do this morning. He's on his way to the dojo as we speak. But he'll see you tonight. We're still on for karaoke, right?”
 
“As far as I know. I called Kisa yesterday morning to see if she wouldn't mind babysitting Alex for the night. Normally I wouldn't mind him being by himself but I'm not sure how late I'll be and I didn't want him to be alone all night long.” Tohru transferred the phone to her other ear and started to make Alex's lunch. “Haru and Momiji stopped by the restaurant the other day to have dinner, and I told them about the plans. It sounds like everyone's going to be there this year…” Tohru trailed off quietly.
 
Sensing her friends' discomfort, Kagura sighed quietly. She hated this. Ever since Yuki left, Tohru has had an air of sadness around her that she never had before. `That damn rat…' Kagura cleared her throat and forced herself to sound chipper. “Yeah, we'll all be there! After all, it's not everyday that you turn 27! And pretty soon you'll be 30! And it's all down hill from there.”
 
Tohru grimaced into the phone, “Thank you so much for reminding me.” Her ears perked as she heard the sound of footsteps pounding down the stairs. “And enter the herd of elephants...well, that's my cue. I have to get going. After I take Alex to school I have to stop by the restaurant. We've been having some issues with one of our suppliers that I need to iron out. I'll see you tonight at 6.”
 
“Alright, have a good day! Bye!”
 
Tohru hung up the phone and turned just as Alex skidded into the kitchen and launched himself at her. Laughing, he threw his arms around her middle and squeezed. Tohru made the appropriate wheezing noises and giggled as he smiled up at her.
 
“Happy Birthday Mom! I got you a present! It's in the living room!” He pulled her along behind him and once again she was mildly startled to realize just how strong he was becoming. `He's getting so big…which means I'm getting so old…' She gave herself a mental shake and then her eyes lit up as she saw her present.
 
“Ummm…do you like it?” Alex shuffled from foot to foot. “Uncle Aya helped me pick it out.”
 
“Oh, baby…I love it.” And she did. Sitting in the middle of the room was a strawberry pot. It was huge, and painted a bright cheerful yellow. Green seedlings sprouted out of the openings and she was careful to ignore the long streak of dirt along the carpet. She turned around and hugged him tightly. A few moments passed and then Alex started to squirm a bit. Tohru released him and ruffled his hair. “All ready for school?”
“Yeah…I guess. At least we don't have a test today. Hey, is Kisa gonna be here tonight? Why can't I come with you to the karaoke bar? I promise I won't drink!”
 
“Sorry kiddo, but even Moms need a night out every now and then. Not to mention the fact that you're nowhere near legal age. But we'll see about getting you a fake I.D. Now go grab your lunch and let's get going.”
 
Later that night
 
“Alright, I'm leaving!” Tohru called up the stairs. Alex and his friend Eric appeared at the top of the stairs, yelled goodbye, and then ran back into Alex's room.
 
“Kisa, if they give you any trouble you have my total consent to tie them up if need be.”
 
“Onee-chan, they'll be fine. They always are. They'll watch a few animes and be in bed by 9 as per the norm.” Kisa watched Tohru put her coat on, feeling a slight twinge of envy. Catching the emotion, Tohru smiled softly.
 
“Only another year Kisa, and then we'll be taking you out to celebrate in as many bars as you want. Well, at least as many as you can stand up in.”
 
“I know, I know. It's just the wait…. Anyway, I hope you don't mind but Hiro's stopping by tonight. We have finals coming up next week and he wanted to study.”
 
Tohru stopped what she was doing and looked over at Kisa, smirking slightly. “Uh huh…studying…sure.” Kisa's face bloomed red and Tohru laughed. “I don't mind at all. Just keep the `studying' to a minimum please. At least while the boys are still up.”
 
Kisa smiled and nodded, “Will do boss. Have fun tonight.”
 
“I will. I have to pick up Ayame and then we're going to that new Karaoke bar that opened up downtown. I'll see you later.”
 
Tohru drove over to Ayame's shop, humming along with the radio. As she was approaching the front of the shop, a man on the sidewalk caught her eye. At first she thought it was Ayame, but as she looked closer she noticed that the man's hair was shorter than Aya's, and the color was a shade darker than his as well. Shrugging it off as coincidence, she pulled up in front of Ayame's shop and honked her horn.
 
“Tohru Darling!” Over the years Ayame had not lost his flair for the dramatic. He stood posed in the doorway of his shop, his arms extended away from his body. He was wearing his trademark red coat and his silver hair glinted in the lamplight. Tohru laughed as he got into the car. “Happy Birthday! Oh, I'm just so excited about tonight! I love karaoke, and because of my glorious singing voice and natural stage presence I'm just so good at it as well!”
 
“You are fabulous Aya. But we're going to be late if we don't hurry. I'm sure that Kagura and Kyo are already there waiting.” Tohru pulled back out into traffic and made her way to the club.
 
 
 
 
Sorry this cuts off somewhat abruptly. I'll have more to update later, but for now Read and Review. Please?! Next chapter will be them in the actual karaoke bar. And I know that some of the characters might seem a little OOC from the anime/manga, but I figure that they're older now so they can be a little different.