Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Caged Heart ❯ Missing In Action ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eighteen - Missing In Action:
 
“...M... Missing?”
 
Indeed, it is hard to say anything at all when you have been stunned into complete immobility, so naturally the word had some difficulty in squeezing past Tohru's lips. Quite understandably, it therefore refused to be any more than barely audible, and even seemed to squeak its disgruntlement.
 
Of course, all this passed unnoticed by anyone that the word might have been directed at, but also especially by Tohru herself. But that was perfectly justified by the fact that her mind was still far too busy attempting to somehow grasp the actual meaning of the word `missing', as if with a pair of pitiable, little fingerless paws, that were attached to arms that were just that antagonisingly tiny bit too short to reach anyway.
 
“But... missing means... mislaid. Misplaced.”
 
“Missing?” echoed Kyo. “Missing what? A sock? A pen? A Y chromosome?”
 
“Missing also means somewhere else. Not here.”
 
“Tut tut! You should not be mocking the young Prince at such a time as this!”
 
“So, missing means not home. Not safe.”
 
“Seriously, though. This is no laughing matter.” Shigure continued. “Yuki wasn't in his room. Considering that the lad isn't in his usual tip-top shape, and that it is my solemn duty to watch over him, I think it's perfectly justified for me to suggest that we send out a highly qualified search party to bring him home. By which, of course, I mean you and Tohru. And maybe me. But obviously you'll be doing all the work.”
 
“Then missing means lost. Maybe alone. Unsure.”
 
“Obviously? What, have you already volunteered me for this goose chase? Hell, I don't know why you're so worried anyway. The rat can take care of himself.”
 
“Missing means confused. Scared.”
 
“Yes, usually. But do we really want to take that risk? Our dear little cousin could be anywhere, Kyo! All we know is that he is gone, long gone - somewhere, anywhere, in a galaxy, far, far away-”
 
“Missing could mean trapped. Stuck. Locked doors, or branches that get tangled with your clothes.”
 
“Alright! Alright already! I'll help look for him. Shut up and let's go.” A mildly irritated Kyo pushed around Shigure and made his way to the ladder. That damn rat was always being a nuisance, in one way or another.
 
“Then that means missing could mean hurt. In pain. More pain, in Yuki's case.”
 
“Onwards it is!” Shigure clapped his hands together as he followed Kyo, flashing eyes anticipating the hunt ahead. “Yuki, here we come! Tally-ho! Sound the horns! Release the hounds! On your marks, get -” He paused mid-step, and turned back. “...Tohru?”
 
“Missing could mean kidnapped. Strange voices. Shadows and silhouettes.”
 
“You coming, Tohru?” called Kyo, a couple steps down the ladder.
 
“Missing could mean a big black van with tinted windows. Ransom money.”
 
“Um... Hello? Tohru?”
 
“Missing could mean trouble. Lots of trouble.”
 
Shigure shuffled towards the girl, scrutinizing her face to make sure she wasn't one of those life-like dolls he'd heard all about. They seemed to be everywhere these days, so why not on his own roof? Hm. But that delectable smell of life and young women could simply not be manufactured. Perhaps another day then.
 
“Missing could mean danger. Yuki could be in danger!”
 
“Are you alright?” He waved a hand slowly in front of the pair of glazed eyes that seemed to scream `OCCUPIED'. He supposed, then, quite logically, that it was simply a matter of waiting for that little `bing' sound. Oh, wait - or was that the one for seat belts?
 
“I know what we have to do!” declared Tohru, who suddenly switched on like a giant 1000-watt bulb.
 
Bing indeed. Pulling back his outstretched hand, Shigure mentally braced himself for the punch line. For who could possibly guess at the result of all the toiling of the complex mechanics that moved so intricately in the girl's mind?
 
“We have to go find Yuki! Now! Right now!”
 
There was a momentary stillness.
 
“... Sounds like a good idea.” grinned Kyo.
 
“Yes! A great idea, in fact!” cried Shigure, raising joyous arms into the air. “Well then, off we go! Come now! Rescue missions wait for no-one!”