Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Caged Heart ❯ Oh The Apprehension ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note:
 
I know it's a short chapter, but I do have a life out of this fanfic.
 
A few people (once again, on a different website. There is yet to be a reader from this website. But obviously there has been at least one now, since you are reading this) have complained that they think that Yuki is out of character.
 
However, you can already see which way my favour is leaning, and in my defence, in the DVD, when Tohru finds out that Yuki wants to be like Kyo and vice versa, with Kyo it's more of a sad longing, whilst with Yuki it's more of an anger at his blindness.
So hah.
 
In other news, Fruits Basket is not mine, and the next chapter is a few words south of this.
 
Oh The Apprehension:
 
A breeze shrieked into the room, slapping against the walls.
 
No one had shut the door.
 
She was cold, but her cheeks were bright red and burning.
 
She didn't care anyway.
 
The breeze calmed slightly, and circled the room, stirring the ignored and insignificant dishes and chopsticks still on the un-cleared table.
 
Tohru was suspended in shock, frozen in thought.
 
The room swirled around her.
 
`Oh my god…'
 
`What are they doing?'
 
`What do they think they're doing?'
 
`Are they really fighting… over me?'
 
Yes. Yes, they are.
 
`Why would they?'
 
She knew the answer to that too.

It scared her.
 
And, because she knew the answer to that, she knew another question would follow.
 
A question that she would have to answer.
 
She would have to make a choice.
 
Taking a slow breath to calm her beating heart, she stood up. Shakily at first, she took one step, and then another, to the now completely forgotten basket. A basket of simple things that had brought so much trouble. A basket of strawberries and chocolate hearts. Hearts for her. How many? She knew the answer to that as well.
 
There were two.
 
How could she answer all those questions, but not be able to answer the one that was so important? The question that needed immediate answering?
 
There was nothing else to do.
 
She went outside to watch.
 
*************************************
 
Yuki and Kyo stood metres apart in defensive stances, neither one moving, neither one blinking, and each one just barely breathing.
 
Shigure was more frantic than apprehensive, and was rushing up and down the front lawn in a unique manner that can only be described as `shigure-ly', in a pitiful attempt to convince the glaring statue-like figures to go talk it over, and a pathetic endeavour to prevent the looming destruction of his house.
 
“Yuki, I don't think this is really necessary - Kyo, please, why can't we just talk - If you must fight, can you not fight in the vicinity? - It's so cold, why don't we just go inside? - Yuki? Kyo? - I'll make some tea! Do you like tea? Tea is good! - Kyo? Yuki? Kyo?! Yuki?! Tea!!!”
 
He didn't seem to realise that both of them had long found it necessary to be able to tune out his often rambling voice whenever required, a particular talent that they found quite useful at that moment.
 
Meanwhile, Tohru was silently and invisibly stepping through the doorway and onto the porch, where she froze, her face the perfect picture of a frightened deer caught in the headlights of an approaching car.
 
And then it began.