Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Caged Heart ❯ A Game of Cat and Mouse ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note:
 
Once again, really sorry about the shortness - can't do anything about that, sorry!!!
 
And Fruits Basket isn't mine, etc etc, so here we go!
 
A Game of Cat and Mouse:
 
Tired of waiting and sick of fearing the worst, Kyo lunged in the direction of - nothing, apparently. Yuki had disappeared in the split-second that he had shut his eyes.
 
How ratty of him.
 
He felt a light tap on the back of his head and spun around to briefly see Yuki's grin, which was soon blocked by the incoming of a familiar fist.
 
Much to the horror of Shigure, who wailed in agony, Kyo's landing left a rather noticeable dent in the outer wall of the house, metres away from a tree which, honestly, Shigure wouldn't have minded Kyo flying into at all.
 
Not even a second had passed when Kyo pushed himself off the debris and threw himself fist-first at Yuki, deliberately keeping his eyes open for as long as possible.
 
And suddenly the two were a flurry of fists, feet and orange hair, smashing into the landscape just as much as the house, accompanied by an orchestra of word-less shouts, crashes, whooshes and thuds - bruises that would be sorely felt in the morning.
 
But wait - was Kyo actually landing some punches?
 
Tohru's eyes widened in disbelief.
 
He was! There - there - no, not there - sidestep - a kick - a block - block - another kick - sidestep - jab - block - dodge - a badly aimed punch, but a good try - block - a leap backwards - block - jab - block - block - step - spinning kick! He was actually making contact and doing some damage! He had a chance to win!
 
Tohru winced, for Kyo's sudden chance for glory seemed to dwindle as quickly as it come.
 
Jab - block - parry - kick - tree - leap - punc- no, block - jab - jab - sidestep - block - block - kick - dodge - wall - leap - another wall - step - block - block - jab - block - kick - punch - tree…
 
All of this went unnoticed by Shigure, of course, who had his priorities ordered slightly differently from Tohru's.
 
“This is quite uncalled for! Kyo-kyo-yuki-kyo-yuki-yuki-hey!!! Please, just - gah - please - Oh just leave my house alone - take me! Take meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!”
 
By this stage, Shigure had worked himself into such a frenzy of anxious word-like noises and hysterically flapping arms that one couldn't help but wonder just how well they were screwed on.
 
Foot - foot - fist - knee - elbow - fist - head - window - jump - fist - foot - spin - foot - fist - leg - elbow - foot - face - tree - fist - leafy - leap - foot - leg - fist - foot - elbow - fist - fist - arm - elbow - foot - air - house - spin - foot - fist - arm - fist - knee - sky…
 
“Th-no-your foot-don't!-plea-wall-not th-please-no-watch it!-don-gaaaah…”
 
Twitching slightly, Shigure fell to his knees in defeat, whilst the battle raged on around him, wreaking madness and havoc, leaving only dents and debris.
 
Yet a small patch of the porch remained perfectly intact, as if it were a labelled `safe zone' to be avoided. It's sole occupant, however, was not preoccupied with her own safety, and watched on in awe and fear.
 
It was akin to a dangerous game of cat and mouse, but this time the rat was the cat and the cat was the rat with nowhere to run.
 
And the minute he finally realised that, he stopped running.
 
A step, a spin and leap to the side, and Kyo was attacking once again, throwing everything he had at Yuki, who started to seem almost struggling to block all the punches and kicks.
 
As his confidence grew, so did the speed of his punches, and he began to notice that Yuki wasn't able to dodge every attack - the rat was barely able to throw in an attack of his own! Kyo's eyes lit up with jubilant victory. Now it was Yuki who was blocking, Yuki who was dodging, Yuki who was weakening!
 
Punch - punch - jab - punch - jab - kick - kick - jab - jab - punch - jab - punch - kick - jab - kick - jab - jab - punch - jab - punch - punch - spinning kick!
 
Kyo let out a roar of triumph - which soon twisted into a howl of pain as Yuki's foot made contact with his groin, just the beginning of Yuki's sudden onslaught of his opponent.
 
Turns out he wasn't weakening at all.
 
How very ratty of him.