Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Caged Heart ❯ International Kyo Day ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note:
 
Okay, so we're back to `short' chapters again. That's just how I write.
 
And - nothing to do with the fact that I own no Fruits Basket merchandise whatsoever - Fruits Basket is not mine. If it was, it probably wouldn't be called Fruits Basket. Maybe something more along the lines of `The Cat of the Zodiac'.
 
International Kyo Day
 
“Hah!” Kyo yelled triumphantly, throwing up his arms in sweet victory. “In your face!!!”
 
The room went silent, and everyone turned around.
 
On any other day, he would have half-laughed, lowered his arms and scratched the back of his head awkwardly.
 
On any other day, he would have felt unbelievably self-conscious.
 
But today, Kyo didn't care. Not one single bit.
 
Today, he could do anything he wanted.
 
Today, he ruled the house - the whole world!
 
Because today, and probably tomorrow as well, Yuki - Prince kiss-my-ass Yuki - had a black eye. And Kyo was the one that gave it to him.
 
Shigure raised an eyebrow, Hatori coughed politely and Yuki remained unimpressed. Everyone else tilted their heads slightly, looking at Kyo questioningly.
 
And instead of blushing, as he would have on any other day, Kyo started cheering and whooping, pointing mocking fingers at Yuki's swollen eye in a very mature manner. Very.
 
“Are you finished?” asked Yuki, rather civilly for someone in his situation.
 
“Hah!” laughed Kyo, who obviously wasn't. “Hey rat - it brings out the purple in your eyes!”
 
Shigure ruined his I'm-an-adult-and-above-all-this attitude by sniggering. It did rather.
 
“Congratulations, Kyo.” said Haru, quite seriously, despite his surroundings. “I still can't believe you managed to actually hit Yuki.”
 
“And neither can I, but I'm sorry to say that I really doubt that this will do much to affect Akito's… view on certain issues.”
 
Hatori's comment brought Kyo back to reality, and he reluctantly lowered his arms.
 
He had just realised how much this victory meant.
 
But it didn't mean something in the way he had expected, for oddly enough, it didn't bother him that Akito would probably never accept the Cat into the Zodiac even though he had beaten Yuki. Akito was a jerk anyway. And spoilt. Plus, he caused more trouble for those in the Zodiac than for those not.
 
Kyo didn't care that he was stiff and covered with bruises - he healed quickly anyway - when Yuki had gotten off with only a black eye. They had fought well, and this time he had actually managed to hit him. So what if he fainted? At least Yuki went unconscious first! He'd take a victory where he could.
 
And he could! He could do anything, he could be anything - provided it was within realistic boundaries. And oh, was he something: he was in love. Damn it, he was more than that! He was head-over-heels-and-over-the-moon in love! And didn't that mean that he could be loved as well?
 
And then it hit him.
 
`Oh hell.' he thought. `Tohru's right there.'
 
As if he had ever really forgotten.
 
Meanwhile, Tohru and the Sohmas had been watching on in amazement, as Kyo's face made the slow transformation from victorious to surprised, to understanding, to self-confident, to ecstatic, and finally to well and truly embarrassed.
 
And despite it being `International Kyo Day', Kyo blushed dark red to the tips of his ears, and sprinted away. Had he ran in that direction the previous day, he would have smashed straight through a wall, leaving a disastrous mess behind him. But as it was, Shigure merely sighed and remembered the days when he had a house that wasn't in pieces.
 
And then there was silence.
 
“Well… I guess we'd better be going now.” said Haru.