Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Caged Heart ❯ Day-Dreaming ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note:
 
 
This is my first fanfic, and was mostly written when I had only seen the first two volumes of Fruits Basket, so that may explain for - well, anything, actually.
But hey, at least you don't have to worry about bad grammar or spelling!
 
Please tell me what you think about it!
 
Oh, and no matter how much I may fantasize about it, I do not own Fruits Basket.
 
The story is set sometime between the second and third volume, and is now complete (because I only just found this website) so there is no need to worry about waiting for the next chapter!
 
 
Day-Dreaming:
 
“Tohru? Tohru! Hey, are you ok?” asked Uo worriedly, waving a hand in front of Tohru's face.
 
“Yes, your electric waves seem to be less... vibrant, than usual.” said Hana, leaning closer to her friend.
 
“Hmm?” Tohru looked up from her lunch. “Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I was just day-dreaming.” She laughed lightly. “You know, I'm always being silly like that!”
 
“Alright then, if you're sure nothing's wrong.”
 
“Yes, Uo-chan, Hana-chan, you don't need to worry about me!” smiled Tohru.
 
Relieved, they continued the conversation. Tohru, meanwhile, dropped back into silence.
`He left so quickly,' she thought. `I hope he's ok. I wonder what he was mad about?'
 
*********************************
 
Earlier that day...
 
“Kyo! Yuki! We're going to be late for school!” cried Tohru, running up and down the hallway anxiously.
 
“Ah, good morning, my sweet flow-“
 
POOF! In her rush, Tohru had accidentally bumped into Shigure.
 
“I'm soooo sorry!” cried Tohru, falling onto her knees to be in level with the black dog that now stood in front of her. “I didn't mean to, really! It's just that I'm going to be late for school! I'm sorry! I didn't see you! I'm sorry!”
 
“Now, now, Tohru, you should know by now not to get so upset when one of us changes forms. We knew from the very beginning that taking a young girl into the home of three men with unique problems such as ours might bring difficulties.”
 
POOF!
 
“Eeek!” shrieked Tohru, spinning around. Shigure grinned, slipping back into his bathrobe.
 
“And with devilishly good looks like mine, what can you do but be attrac-“
 
“Don't you dare finish that sentence, you perverted bastard!” shouted Kyo, slamming his door open. “And close that bathrobe, damn it!” he continued, attacking Shigure.
 
“Come on, Miss Honda.” Yuki said, appearing from the bathroom. “We don't want to be late for school.” He calmly took her hand and led her to the door.
 
“Umm ok.” Tohru came willingly enough, still confused by the suddenness of what had just occurred.
 
Kyo looked up over the bruised corpse that was trembling under a bathrobe. Prince Yuki had already whisked Tohru away. Kyo's blood boiled.
`Stupid rat.'
 
*********************************
 
Tohru saw Kyo just before lunch started.
 
“Hi Kyo!” She ran to meet him.
 
“Oh. Hi.” Kyo blushed slightly, startled by the sudden attention.
 
“What was that about this morning with Shigure?”
 
“What? Oh, nothing.”
 
“Well, whatever it was, thank you!” beamed Tohru, grateful as always.
 
“Sure. Whatever.”
 
Kyo tried to act nonchalant around Tohru, but he always seemed to find it a bit difficult. He turned to look at her as she headed off to her friends. Something looked different -
 
“Hey, Tohru?”
 
“Hmm?” Tohru spun around.
 
“Is that a new ribbon?” Kyo blushed. He wasn't good at complimenting. “In your hair... you know... it looks... good... on you... I mean... in your hair...”
 
Tohru looked confused for a moment, then smiled, fingering the yellow ribbon in her hair.
 
“Oh, this? Yuki gave it to me as a White Day present.”
 
Kyo's mood darkened.
 
“Oh, really. When was this?”
 
“When we were up in the hot springs, remember?”
 
“Oh. Right. Of course. Well then.” Kyo turned around slowly, walking away.
 
Tohru looked confused. “Um, did I say something wrong?”
 
“No. Not at all.” he said bitterly.
 
“But, Kyo -” He was gone. “Ky...Kyo?”