Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Black & White Heart ❯ Time To Cook ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15: Time To Cook!

Yuki walked over to the balcony and pulled the curtains across the window, leaving his bedroom door open so only the light from the hallway filtered across his bed where Haru currently slept. Hmm, Yuki pondered, Shigure must have been here when Haru came home, I wonder where he went?

-----

Walking home, Shigure suddenly realised something he forgot to do at the Estate. Stopping at a nearby pay phone, he dialed the number for Hatori. After three rings, the usual monotonous voice was heard at the other end.

"Hari'…………yes, I saw him……well, I don't know if Haru will ask or not but, still, how is she?……………………uh huh…well that's good." Shigure smiled, but it was one tinted with sorrow, "……………Haru? Well, a lot better than I thought he'd be………haha, well you know him, as long as Yuki's there……………Yes, so do I. Which reminds me, Aya and I we- actually on second thought, forget I said that………Awwww your mean!! Why do you always suspect I'm up to something?………hmph, and I call you one of my best friends. Dear dear is this what the world has come to? My I must sa-HEY!-Don't hang up on me…"

-----

Feeling Haru's forehead on the back of his hand once again, Yuki frowned; he was even hotter than he was just now. Walking back down the stairs and grabbing a small cloth, he let it hang under some cold running water before ringing it out. Walking back towards the stairs and placing one foot on the first step, the front doors suddenly slid open and a worn out Tohru stood leaning against the door frame,

"Yu…ki" she puffed, "Is…Is Hatsuharu okay?" she asked, concern evident on her face.

Yuki smiled, she certainly never changes, "He has a slight fever," he replied, "He's sleeping at the moment."

"Oh good!" she sighed in relief, before quickly covering her mouth with her hand, "No, no no I mean, it's not good that he has a fever or anything, I mean it's really bad that's he's not feeling too well, what I mean is, I mean it's good that he didn't run intoOoOoOOoOOOOoooo" Tohru started to fluttered about as she realised what she was about to say about Akito.

Yuki stared at her quite usual behaviour, "Intooo…into what?"

"Huh?" Tohru stopped waving her arms about and stared at him, "Oh! Into…err, into a wall of course!"

Yuki blinked.

"Yeah, a wall, I mean if he wasn't feeling very well to begin with running into a wall wouldn't have been good at all." She giggled purposely.

Well that was random, even for Tohru. Still, Yuki smiled, "No, I don't expect that would have been very nice."

Giving a mental sigh of relief, Tohru noticed the cloth he was holding, "Oh, are you bringing that up for Haru?"

"Yes."

"I know! I'll go make some soup and tea for him when he wakes up."

"That would be nice." Yuki smiled once more, before Tohru ran off into the kitchen.

Turning back to the stairs, Yuki took another step up before the front door slid open again and he turned around.

"Alright! What the HELL is going on?!"

Yuki glared down at Kyo who glared back equal as hard, "What are you talking about you stupid cat?"

"Well, first you get all heft up about something and go running back here like your life depended on it," he started, arms crossing his chest, "then Tohru gets all fluttery trying to get away from that Yankee after school and trying to get home, and now to finish it off I've just seen Shigure walk into a pole!"

"Oh you saw that did you?"

"WAH!!"

Kyo leapt forward and spun around as Shigure stood leaning over what would have been Kyo's shoulder if he hadn't leapt away like a frightened Kitty.

WHACK!!

"Opps, did I say that out loud?" Shigure chuckled, rubbing the sore spot on his head where Kyo and hit him.

"Walked into a pole?" Yuki asked.

"Oh yes," Shigure said, waving his hand up down like it didn't matter at all, "I just had some things on my mind that's all."

"Yeah, girls more like it." Kyo muttered, "So much you can't even see where you're walking. You pervert."

"Now now Kyo, there's no need to think so low of me you know." Shigure mock scowled, "As every Sohma should know, any relationship for us cursed ones is a little like a game of Bridge."

Kyo stared at him, "….how's that?"

"Well, "Shigure grinned, a little too perversely for anyone's liking, "If you haven't got a good partner you need a damn good hand."

"……………ARGH!"

"Shigure do you have any sense of moral fiber at all?" Yuki asked, trying as hard as possible not to punch him into his next book, as Kyo stormed out the door muttering once again how weird and perverted this house had become.

"Ehehehee."

-----

At last Yuki finally made it back into his room, after having to revisit the bathroom to re-wet the cloth. Sitting back down on the side of the bed, he placed the cool material on Haru's burning forehead and sat back, watching the sleeping face that he actually now could say he had seen quite a few times.

His own thought made him blush slightly and ordered it to disappear.

It was strange really, Haru had been ill last Thursday as well, maybe this was a just a recurring thing he hadn't quite got rid of yet? After all he seemed fine at lunchtime, it must have been one of these fevers that just appear out of the blue. Ones that Tohru seemed to suffer a lot from too.

"Nnnn…" Yuki stopped his thoughts for a moment and looked back down at the sleeping face…which was frowning, "Nnn…………….dad…"

It was barely a whisper, but Yuki heard it. It looked like he was in the beginning of a nightmare, as his eyebrows were still furrowed and he turned over on his back a little more.

"Haru?" Yuki whispered, placing his hands on his shoulders.

Haru didn't do anything else, but whatever was going on in his mind was obviously not pleasant as his features still looked troubled. Yuki looked at him, not knowing what to do but wanting to help anyway. As he watched the nightmare continue, Yuki suddenly had a thought. It was stupid really, he had never heard of it working in real life but they seemed to do it on TV a lot. So, closing his bedroom door so no sneaky camera picture taking peekers could suddenly appear, the two were left in darkness. Taking one deep breath, placing one knee in between Haru's sheet covered legs, Yuki slowly lowered himself so he was lying right on top of him. Trying not to wake him up, he maneuvered his arms underneath so he was holding Haru right close to him. Cheek to cheek, Yuki could feel the burning fever Haru had and held him a little tighter. Closing his eyes, he waited to see if this would help.

For a minute, nothing seemed to change. Yuki could still feel the uneven breathing the nightmare was causing, so tried something else. Turning his head so his nose was just under Haru's jaw line, he whispered.

"It's alright Haru. Whatever you're dreaming, it's alright. Nothing's going to happen." Yuki closed his eyes as he realised how comfortable this actually was, and the memories off all the kindness Haru had shown him when they both lived at the Estate happily flittered across his mind, "Everything's okay," all the times Haru had smiled, "Nothing's wrong," all the times Haru had been right there when he needed him the most, "You're safe here…" all the times Haru had been the only person he had wanted to see,

"…Because I won't let anything happen to you."

"Yu…"

Yuki slowly opened his and looked up at Haru, whose face had relaxed back to a normal sleep. Yuki felt so light, it had actually worked! Seeing that he was alright now, Yuki pressed against the bed to move off Haru before he stopped. He looked back at Haru, looking so cosy and comfy and relaxed, if not for the raging fever anyway. It didn't take Yuki very many seconds to decide.

Well, he thought, as he rested his head back on Haru's shoulder, Maybe just for a little while longer.

-----

"Ah, so you've decided to rejoin us?" Shigure asked, as Kyo came wandering into the room blatantly ignoring the Dog, and plopping down on a cushion at the table.

"Oh Kyo, just in time dinners nearly ready." Said Tohru as she popped her head round the kitchen door.

"Ahh," Shigure grinned, "So that's why you have returned."

"Shud up!"

As Tohru served out dinner, even on the blank space that was Yuki, she grabbed the tray that held Haru's bowl of fresh soup and walked up the stairs.

"Yuki? Haru?" she said softly at the door. Hearing no answer, she put the tray on the floor and knocked, "Yuki?" Slowly sliding back the door, she came to face possibly one of the cutest scenes she had ever seen. Smiling widely, she knelt down at the end of Yuki's bed. "Yuki?" she said, a slight small giggle to her words, tapping his shoulder, "Yuki dinner's ready."

Very slowly Yuki opened his eyes to come face to face with Tohru's large brown ones.

"Miss Honda?" he said sleepily, before he suddenly realised what, or who, he was currently lying on. "ERRR, ahh, er, Miss Honda don't, don't think that-" Yuki stuttered very embarrassed, but unable to move from his position.

Tohru simply giggled, "It's alright Yuki, dinners ready and I brought Haru some hot soup and tea, it might do him some good."

"Err…" Yuki said, staring at Tohru, still amazed at how easily she had just accepted everything that had been happening this week between them, "Err…yes. Alright."

Gently untangling himself first, Yuki felt it better to wake Haru up after he had gotten up off the bed, for waking up to find Yuki lying on top of him may bring out an unwanted side of personality at this point in time.

Tohru brought the tray and placed it just inside before walking out, "Dinners ready when you are." She smiled before walking back down the stairs.

Yuki smiled back at her then turned back to Haru. Well, here goes. "Haru?" he said, before shaking his shoulder slightly, "Haru, Miss Honda's made some soup for you, it'll do you good if you eat it."

Still nothing.

Yuki leant in a little closer.

"Haru? You have to wake up now. Miss Honda's made dinner for you." Suddenly, Haru's right arm flew up from under the covers, grabbed Yuki's, and flipped him over, pinning him to the bed, "H-H-HARU!?"

Haru grinned mischievously and put nose to nose, very much awake, "I'd much rather have you for dinner." He said lustfully.

Yuki sighed frustrated. So much for avoiding the unwanted personality. "Haru, come on, you have a fev-"

Haru leant even closer so his mouth was right by Yuki's ear, "Hmm, I bet you're much tastier."

"WILL YOU CUT THAT OUT!!!"

-----

"What are they doing up there?" said Kyo, before he realised the accusations he suddenly made with that remark and quickly went back to stuffing his face with food to make him forget.

"Yes, it would seem they are definitely not eating dinner that's for sure." Said Shigure, as various shouts of 'Haru' floated down the stairs, followed by several bangs against the wall then a thump as if someone had fallen off the bed.

And with the shouts of infuriation it was guessed that Yuki had been the one who had fallen in the soup.

-----

Haru was simply impossible.

As Yuki stood under the shower trying to wash the remnants of soup out of his hair, Haru was all that was on his mind. One minute he was as calm and content, and then one second later he could be trying to rip his clothes off!! Idiot, Yuki said to himself, although in the end he wasn't sure if it was Haru he was calling an idiot, or himself for blushing once again at his own thoughts.

-----

As Haru sat up in Yuki's bed leaning against the head board, he yawned. It was weird. He was sure he had had a nightmare, but he felt really good when he had woken up. Oh well.

"Haru? Can I come in?"

It was Shigure.

"Sure."

Shigure slid back the door, the running water of Yuki's shower becoming louder for a second before Shigure shut the door behind him. "I just thought you might like to know, I went to see Akito this afternoon."

Haru looked down at the bed covers, "So that's where you went. What did he say?"

Shigure smiled, "Well, I think this is one occasion that even Akito feels guilty on. He still tried to say no, but I think a part of him has realised that, in your case, there isn't much he can do to you without you calling the police."

Haru smiled with relief, "Good, because to be honest, I didn't want to call them. Getting the police involved with Sohma's could unearth things that shouldn't be." Haru looked back to Shigure and paused, not knowing if he really wanted to ask the next question. In almost a whisper, he asked,

"How…how is she?"

Shigure's smile turned into a sympathetic one, "Well, Hatori says she's doing fine now. Obviously he can't see her to check up completely on her anymore, but he's seen her out and about in the town. She's happy."

"Good." Haru smiled.

There was another silence before Shigure asked another question, "I wasn't sure if you would want to visit his grave today."

Haru looked up at the ceiling, "Mmm, I don't think so. I'd rather forget the whole thing. Maybe in a couple of months I'll go, but for now, I'd rather just be with Yuki."

Shigure chuckled, "Ah yes, the almighty healer of heart and mind." Yes, as he had said before, with Yuki around, Haru would be fine, "Well," he began, sitting up from the bed, "I better go and get back to work, now you be a good boy and go to sleep, and try not to attack Yuki again." He waggled his finger at him.

"But I like attacking Yuki." Haru playful grinned, as Shigure laughed walking out the room.

A few moments later, a dressed Yuki walked through the door, his hair only towel dried and damp, "Are you hungry?" he asked.

"Not really," Haru replied, before suddenly sneezing.

"Well, you should eat something." It was then Yuki had that strange feeling of wanting to go and do something helpful for Haru again, and pondered for a moment whether or not the idea he had just thought of would, well, be hazardous to Haru's health or not. Still, it was about time he learnt anyway.

"I'm going to go and cook you something."

Haru spluttered into the glass of water he had picked up to drink, "Co, cook me something?"

Yuki glared at him, "Don't look at me like that, I'm going to try and do something nice for you."

Haru gulped. No offence really wanting to be shown, but still, now he definitely didn't feel hungry. He had heard about Yuki's so called 'meals' from Shigure when Tohru wasn't around. With the way Shigure described them he was quite surprised either of them were still alive!

So, as Haru waited with anxiety up in the bedroom, Yuki walked into the kitchen. Standing at the counter, he stared at the blank space.

Time to cook!.......umm………

"Er……Miss Honda?"

To be continued…