Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Black & White Heart ❯ Black & White Heart ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 32: Black & White Heart

Taking his snow covered coat off by the door, Shigure walked back inside his house and headed straight for his office, small paper package in hand. Sitting down at his desk and taking out the photographs from inside the packaging, Shigure fingered through all the pictures of Yuki and Haru until he got to a smaller selection of photos that he had taken last. Looking at each one, with a strange gleeful smile on his face, Shigure placed them spread out on his desktop.

"Ahh, I must show these to Aya." He sighed, looking at the pictures he and Aya had taken that night in the mud baths, "Ohhh, all the pretty girls…."

-----

"Bye everyone!"

"Cya tomrorrow! Last day!!!"

"Yeeeeah!!"

As the students filled out into the hallway as the final bell to end school rang out amongst the building, Yuki, Kyo and Tohru followed the rest and head for the main entrance to leave the school for another day.

"Oh…shouldn't we wait for Haru?"

"Forget Haru." Said Kyo, walking away out the doors, not wanting to walk with Yuki, let alone Haru clinging to him, it was disgusting!!!

"B-but Kyo-" Tohru said, reaching out for him.

"Let him go Miss Honda, I think it may have been just a bit of a surprise for him." Yuki said, forcing a smile and deliberately not trying to remember Kyo catching Haru kissing him. Besides, he didn't want the filthy looks the cat would throw at him as they walked home, so both of them would be better off if Kyo just walked on his own.

"I hope Kyo's okay, what do you think has upset him?"

Yuki flinched.

"'sup?" said Haru, his bag slung over one shoulder as he walked over to join them.

Whether Haru was bothered about it or not Yuki couldn't tell, but he hoped he didn't mind Tohru walking with them. Yuki had started to feel guilty for not spending any time with her, not seeing her at all this weekend, so was going to make sure he walked home with her this time.

As they turned to walk through the main doors, Kane walked through ahead of them, obviously not seeing them, being followed by one of the boys in their class that was congratulating him after the Basketball match.

Yuki paused and watched him go, before an idea popped up in his head.

------

"Why'd you do that for him?" Haru asked, entirely not understanding why Yuki was being so nice to someone who had been trying to take his Yuki away from him!!

"I don't know," Yuki replied honestly, as he found himself holding Tohru's hand in one hand, and Haru's in the other, "For some reason I just can't stay angry at him."

Luckily the nearer they got home, the less people were around, so Yuki had pushed back any nervousness to the back of his mind and let Haru hold his hand. It was funny, in front of Shigure or Kyo or anyone else, he would point blankly refuse to let Haru do anything, from kissing him to even hugging him, but in front of Tohru, he just didn't feel embarrassed with her. Maybe it was because of the way she was smiling at him, as Haru moved from holding his hand to linking arms with him instead.

It was such a sweet smile, it almost made Yukiwant Haru to be all sappy just so she would smile like that.

------

This was too freaky.

Why won't this guy leave me alone?!

Since Kane had left school, one of the boys in his class, one who was particularly excited after the Basketball match, had been following him home. Every time Kane would turn around to catch him out, the guy would obviously jump behind whatever was closest to hide…although a lamp post really doesn't hide that much. He'd start walking again, and once again he would feel that pair of eyes on his back, so would turn around to see the boy jump behind a dustbin, the metal lid clanking as he'd bump into it when hiding. Getting just a little pissed off now, Kane quickened his pace to get home and away from the boy who matched his pace and was refusing to back off.

-----

"My my, that was quite delicious Tohru!" Shigure complimented their chef on the fine and even tastier than usual meal Tohru had made for them.

Tohru sat at the table with a smile on her face, thinking it had been a good idea to go shopping at lunch to make an extra special meal for Yuki and Haru, not that they knew it had been for them, but Tohru felt nice she had done it anyway.

"Right!" Tohru chirped, getting up to collect the empty plates, "I'll just finish the dishes then-"

"Agh, Ill do it." Said Kyo, grabbing the plates before Tohru could and heading to the kitchen before she could say another word.

"Oh…ok."

Shigure smirked, he knew the real reason Kyo wanted to do the dishes, it was to get away from Haru trying to feed Yuki!

"Stop that!" Yuki would warn through clenched teeth as Haru held out a small piece of chicken held by the chopsticks towards him, but Haru would just smile at him sweetly and pursue with his quest.

----

"Kane…who is that outside?" asked Kane's mother, pulling the curtains to one side as she watched a young boy on the other side of the road standing there biting his bottom lip in nervousness. Every now and then he'd start to walk to the front door of the house, then seemed to chicken out and run back over to the other side of the road and just watch the house inside.

"He followed me home," Kane said as he sat and watched the TV, "he's just a guy from my class." He had begun to realise how annoying he must have been when he used to follow Yuki all the time.

"You should go say hello." She said, letting the curtains fall shut again and walking over to turn off the television.

"Hey! I was watching that!!"

"He's been standing out there for two hours, you should go and see what he wants." She said sweetly, taking a book from a side table and sitting down to read, indicating the conversation, in typical mother fashion, was over.

Sighing, Kane got up from the floor and wandered over to the front door, stepping outside. The boy on the other side of the road suddenly became flustered, looking around nervously to anything than Kane walking towards him.

"What do you want?! You've been out here for ages, go home!" he said sternly, wanting to get back up to his room to finish watching the TV up there if his mother was being annoying.

"Umm…I…well…I don't usual do things like this but…"

Kane frowned at him. Now up close he recognised him as Takeru, a boy in a group of four friends who always sat at the very back of the classroom. He was a pretty average looking guy, the usual short black hair just like everyone else, slightly shorter than Kane, though you wouldn't notice just by looking. Still, in the evening light, Kane couldn't quite tell, but…

Was this guy blushing?

"Look, I'm really sorry if I seem really weird by doing this but…" Takeru glanced up at Kane before looking away again, "Look…you were really cool in Sports today, I don't think even our teacher has seen anyone with that kind of talent and well… I was wondering…if…do-you-wanna-go-to-the-movies-with-me-tomorrow?" he said really quickly, staring at the floor.

Kane's frown soon turned into wide eyed shock. Did…did he just hear what he thought he did?

Was this guy asking him on a date?!

-----

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

A sleepy pair of eyes opened to the pale light seeping through the side of the curtains. Stretching his legs slightly, he turned over a little to switch off the alarm blaring in his ear from the desk. Turning back round, Haru snuggled against Yuki's back, his arm draping back over his stomach as he held his sleeping prince close to his chest. For some reason it had been an incredibly hot night, very surprising for the middle of winter, (Shigure grinned as he turned the temperature up in the house) and in the middle of the night, half asleep and probably not realising what he was doing or who was with him, Yuki had sat up and taken his night shirt off, flopping back down on the bed to try and cool down. Haru, eyes wide at the feast before him, had attentively nuzzled back over to him and pressed himself against Yuki's bare back, after of course taking his own shirt off so he could finally feel skin to skin, just for a little while so Yuki wouldn't get angry.

At least, that had been plan, unfortunately he had fallen asleep being so comfortable, and now realised that when he had turned over to turn off the alarm and turned back again, Yuki had too turned over and now lay facing Haru barely an inch apart. Eye wide just for a second at the shock of seeing Yuki suddenly so close, he smiled,

"Hello Yuki."

Yuki had a distrusting look on his face for a moment, as if he was trying to remember how exactly his shirt came to be on the floor and not on him where it should be, when it would seem he remembered and his eyes softened, and before he could blush at the loving gaze Haru was giving him, quickly sat up and rubbed his eyes. Suddenly though, a pair of arms wrapped themselves around him as Haru hugged him from behind, and it was then when Yuki suddenly realised that Haru wasn't wearing a shirt either.

Ok, now he blushed.

-----

Kyo sat annoyed at Haru's lack of pissed-off-ness at the fact he still had his little item kept away from him. Now that it would seem that….eurgh, that Haru and Yuki were together, Haru didn't care for this little thing he held captive. Still, not only Haru, but even Yuki should get a good embarrassment out of this!

"Ah, the last day of term, how I remember those young Christmas holidays so well." Shigure was saying, apparently off into a reminiscing moment, everyone disturbed by the equally disturbing smile on his face. "Ohh, but it's going to be so cold when I walk to the school later."

Haru and Tohru were getting their school things together by the door, Kyo sat leaning against a wall, while Yuki was mid-way putting his coat on ready to walk to school, when all four of them turned to stare at him.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Kyo asked, arms crossed glaring across at Shigure.

Shigure blinked at him, "Oh didn't I tell you? I got a letter that had been delivered on Friday but I didn't read it till yesterday as we'd been at the Hot springs, it says there was a parent teacher meeting on the very last day."

"WHAT!?" screamed Yuki and Kyo together.

"Oh yes!" Shigure cheered, "It's always nice to know how my younger ones are coming along!"

"Who's going with who?" Haru asked calmly, apparently unfazed. Although perhaps that was a little put on, after all, normally his mother and father would go but…well. Yuki looked at him carefully, White Haru was very good for hiding emotions.

"Well," Shigure started, "Hatori said he would go with Tohru."

"Oh!! No he doesn't have too! I don't want to impose--"

"It's alright Tohru," Shigure said, knowing that she would get flustered over this, "He's the one who suggested he's perfectly alright with it."

"Oh…well, if you're sure. That's so nice of him!" she smiled.

"Mm hm, well, I'm going to go for Haru, Kyo's got Kagura-"

"WHAT THE HELL!?"

Kyo shot up from the floor and sped over to Shigure so fast there was a faint mark left on the flooring, "WHAT THE HELL IS SHE DOING ACTING AS A GUARDIAN!!?" he grasped a clump of Shigure's kimono dangerously tight as he glared venomously down at him.

"Well, she is two years older than you, so technically, she can be seen as your guardian."

"NO WAY!" Kyo screamed again.

"I'm sorry Kyo," Shigure said, although somehow his apology didn't really seem sincere, "The school's already approved it! She'll be sitting there with you talking through with the teachers!"

"NO! NO WAY!!! YOU'RE KIDDING!!" he bellowed unbelievingly. Not only had he had to put up with her for the whole weekend, but now she was going to get to see his school grades! She was going to make a complete fool of him!

"Settle down Kyo, it'll be fine." Shigure assured, although the slight snickering once again didn't make the reassurance very comforting.

"…what about me?" Yuki said.

"You? Isn't that obvious?"

There was a small pause as Yuki stared at Shigure, slowly but surely his eyes realising exactly who was going to going for him with the all too innocent smile on Shigure's face.

"No…" Yuki said, his eyes wide, "You wouldn't let…"

-----

"And so, as pleased as I am with his school grades, Yuki's recent indecent behavior is something that needs to be rectified. Don't you agree?"

"AHAHA!! Oh I don't think so! It's perfectly natural for a boy of his age to be a little curious, it's good to be proactive after all! It'll teach him new skills in life! Ones that are bound to come in useful for his future relationship!!"

Yuki's teacher stared incredulously at Ayame, as Yuki just looked to one side and hid his face in his hand.

This…was not happening.

----

"Get out! Get out get out GET OUT!"

Yuki, ignoring the strange looks from the others students, pushed Ayame forcefully down the corridor and out the school main doors, "It's just not possible for you to be serious is it!?"

"But Yuki, I don't see what that teacher's problem was! You're a bright young man with curiosities just like everyone els-"

"SHUT UP AND GO HOME!" Yuki screamed at him, leaving him outside before slamming the school doors shut.

"Hm," Ayame said, blinking at the now shut doors, "I only suggested they should have a same sex relationship lesson!"

----

As Yuki walked back down the corridor, the redness in his cheeks from anger gradually fading, he passed Kane standing by their classroom door waiting for the student in with the teacher to finish so he could go in.

"Hello Kane." Yuki greeted.

"Yuki!?" Kane suddenly said, jumping out of his skin as Yuki walked up to him, his eyes darting around nervously.

Yuki noticed this reaction and frowned, "What's wrong?"

"Err…heheh…no-nothing I just…umm…" Kane continued to look around, almost making sure like no one was coming, "Listen erm, you better get away from me."

Yuki stared at him, "Why?" he asked, interested now.

"OOOOOoooOOOO! You're Yuki aren't you?!"

Turning around, with Kane practically having a fit at the person walking to wards them, Yuki saw what he presumed to be Kane's mother. She seemed pleasant enough, he wondered why Kane looked almost terrified.

"Mum…wait…please don't-"

"Here!! Come and give your future step-mother a nice big huuuuug!"

"What-" Yuki began, as she suddenly began to run towards him with her arms out stretched.

"STOOOOOP!" Kane yelled, luckily for Yuki swiftly moving in between them both before she could latch onto him, pushing her back by her shoulders.

"Mum please!! Don't be so embarrassing! Don't hug him!!" Kane pleaded to his over ecstatic mother, "Go Yuki! Please! She's a lot stronger than she looks!"

Suddenly, the arms reaching behind Kane to grab Yuki wrapped themselves around Kane instead, as his mother held him close, "Ooohh your such a little sweetie honey," she said, rocking him from side to side in a bear hug, "Always thinking of your sweetheart first, ooooOOOooo it's so cute!!"

"He's not my sweethea- will you let go pleeeease!!"

Yuki, a little confused at what was exactly going on, but not staying around to let her hug him and making him transform, Yuki quickly walked away to the lunch hall where the other students who had already had their meetings waited for their classrooms to be free again.

-----

It was the last hour of the day, and the whole school had gathered in the assembly hall for the teachers to reel off the last announcements and notes of the term before the students were let loose on their Christmas holidays. As the students wandered in, sitting down with their groups of friends, Kyo stayed at the back of the hall waiting for most of the students to come in.

Now was time to his plan into action.

Taking out Haru's little item from his pocket, he tapped the shoulder of a girl at the back of the hall.

"Hey, you see the guy at the front with the white hair?" he said, pointing towards Haru who, because Yuki was at the very front to do announcements from the school committee, had managed to move up to the very front just a few seats away from him.

"Yeah?" The girl said.

"Do me a favour and pass this down to him would ya?"

He passed the item to the girl, and Kyo walked away. There was no way curious girls could resist not opening that and taking a look!

The head master walked up the front and the school quieted down as he started off on the last assembly of the year.

For anyone who was paying attention to the head master, they wouldn't be able to hear the small gasps and giggles coming from the back of the hall, gradually making its way towards the front. Steadily a murmur of students began to start as the hall was paying more attention to this mysterious item being passed down to the white haired boy at the front, than even to Yuki who had just stepped behind the microphone to read off the details for events happening next year and any information the school president had to offer. But, now at the front and able to see all the students, Yuki noticed a lot of them staring at him, then giggling to their friends.

"Excuse…me…" said a girl, desperately trying not to laugh as she whispered to Haru, "I think this is…yours."

Haru looked behind him as the girl passed his long lost item to him. It took him a second to realise exactly why every face in the hall was either staring at him or at Yuki, before Haru's hand clenched into a fist. Kyo couldn't hold it in any longer and burst out laughing at the back of the hall, which was quickly followed by an uproar of squeals from the girls, and dirty looks from the guys.

Yuki was utterly confused! What was everyone laughing at? And why did it seem like they were laughing at him?!

"Kyo….you…" Haru growled through clenched teeth, and before the teachers could get a word in edgeways to try and calm the ecstatic school, Haru through his item to the ground in pure fury and ran down the hall towards Kyo.

Yuki stepped down from the small stage up front and walked down to the item on the floor, ignoring, for the moment, what seemed like every girl in the hall blushing at him, while others started to crowd around Kyo and Haru at the back, where Haru was trying to pound the living daylights out of Kyo. Picking the item up, Yuki looked at the small book, only about 4 or 5 inches tall, with a plain white cover and a black heart on the front, and a black cover and a white heart on the back. Opening it up, the pages inside were the same, pages on the left where white, pages on the right were black. On each page, there was one little photo of Yuki.

But Yuki now realised why everyone was blushing.

On each white page, it would seem throughout the years, Haru had be writing down all the things he loved about Yuki, all the romantic things he'd want to do if they ever got together. Sweet things, like taking walks under Sakura trees as the blossoms floated to the ground, sharing ice creams in the summer, and all things that just made White Haru the gentle and kindly part of him.

However.

On the Black pages, was something that he now knew why Haru was trying to practically kill Kyo right now after showing it to the whole school, the teachers seemingly having no effect to spilt the two of the them up. On the black pages, written in a silver pen, was everything his Black side wanted to do, with and to Yuki. As he flicked through and read some of the lines, he too started to blush at the words written, especially when the word 'whip' was mentioned several times. Snapping out of his blushing term once realising a lot of people were still staring at him, it would seem the cat was out of the bag. He couldn't really deny a relationship between the two of them any longer, not now everyone had seen this. As he looked down the hall to see Kyo kick Haru hard right at the shoulder, Yuki scowled. Walking swiftly down the gangway towards them, the crowd automatically parted for him to get through. There wasn't much he'd be able to do to calm Kyo down, but knowing Haru, they was one thing he could do to stop him.

So, in front of every student and every teacher in the school, in front of every pair of eyes, any parents that were left, even the caretakers, Yuki walked up to the fighting pair, shoved Kyo out the way…

And kissed Haru.

The hall went silent.

Kyo, jumping up off the floor, fists raised to fight back, stopped, stared, and lowered his arms.

They were not doing that here!?!!?

Haru stood there, the fury in his mind instantly subsided the second Yuki's lip's touched his. The entire school was staring at them, Yuki's teacher shaking his head not believingly the kind of stuff he had to put up with in his class. A moment later, Yuki slowly pulled away, his eyes looking softly into Haru's, and this time, it was Haru who was blushing. Had Yuki really just done that? If he had kissed him in front of the whole school, did that mean Yuki wouldn't mind holding his hand in front of others too?

"I believe this belongs to you." Yuki smiled, handing the book back to its rightful owner, as Haru took it shyly, embarrassed for his Black side as he quickly put it back in his pocket.

Seeing Yuki standing there in front of him, smiling and ignoring everyone else's expressions on the kiss he had just given him, Haru felt light and happy. It looked like the final step had been taken, Yuki didn't care what others thought of his love for Haru, he didn't care if people thought it was wrong, and it had been what Haru was waiting for. Even seeing his little item, all the secrets, especially his Black side had been keeping, it didn't seem to faze Yuki at all. He really must love him now!

Haru took a small step forward and embraced Yuki warmly, the teachers ordering everyone back to their seats. As the crowd dispersed to carry on with the announcements, not that they would really be paying attention to that now, Yuki quietly whispered to Haru;

"I never knew you kept handcuffs."

-----

"Hey hey!! No sneaking out! You have to clean up this classroom before you can leave. Come on, it's only 10 more minutes!" said Yuki's teacher, just catching two of his girls trying to sneak early out while everyone else cleared up the classroom.

Well, most of them. Hana stood to one side and simply held out a bin for others to put rubbish in, while the members of the Prince Yuki fan club stood in one corner and cried that they had lost their fair prince. The only thing everyone was talking about while they cleaned is what happened during the last assembly. Most of the girls kept hanging around Yuki asking him all sorts of questions, Yuki just smiling serenely to himself.

"I was definitely not expecting that." Uo said to Tohru as she helped sweep up the floor, "Did you know they were together Tohru?"

Tohru stopped sweeping for a moment and smiled, "Well, sort of, it's sweet isn't it?"

"If you say so." Said Uo, collecting her pile of dust and placing it in Hana's bin.

Suddenly, the classroom door was swung open and Takeru, the boy who had followed Kane home yesterday, walked in.

"Hey Kane, aren't you coming?"

Kane, in the middle of cleaning the white board up front, looked over his shoulder.

"…where?"

"Didn't you get the note?"

Kane stared at him, "What note?"

"You've been chosen for the Basketball team next year!!" he said excitedly.

Kane frowned at him for a moment before returning to the board, "I didn't sign up for that so it must be for someone else."

"Actually that's not quite true." Yuki said, joining this conversation. Kane stopped cleaning and turned back, "I put your name down for it yesterday, I hope you don't mind, but you seemed to enjoy it so much, it would be a waste if you didn't try for it." Yuki smiled.

Kane gaped at him for a moment, his hand halfway up the board holding the cloth.  Suddenly the cleaning cloth feel from his hand, and ran up to Yuki, before skidding to a halt just in front of him.

"Actually, I would hug you, but I think he might kill me." He said, pointing out behind Takeru at the door to Haru leaning against the wall on the other side glaring at him, just daring him to touch his Yuki.

"So are you coming? They want a meeting before the end of school." Takeru continued, before Kane ran up to him, flashed a thank you grin at Yuki, and ran off down the corridor with Takeru.

The classroom was pretty silent before Uo spoke what everyone else was thinking, "….were they just holding hands?"

"Uh huh." Chorused the rest of the class.

The teacher sitting at his desk sighed, was his entire class turning queer?

-----

Walking home from school had never felt so good for Haru. He had his book back, he had Yuki, and more importantly, just as they had left the school gates, it had been Yuki who had reached for Haru's hand to hold on the walk home.

Life was now perfect.

Tohru walked behind them with Kyo, looking at Yuki and Haru's hands clasped together walking through the snow covered streets. She looked up when something cold fell on her nose to see a new snow cloud deciding to let its contents start to float to the ground, a soft fluffy snow that fell gently around them. She knew Yuki would fall for him eventually, anyone could see how much Haru loved him, she just knew they would be together eventually!

------

"No…Haru wait…I…"

"Shh…I won't hurt you…I promise."

"I know…but still……ooohhhhhh…"

"Ah… oh Yuki…"

"Oh…oh that feels…."

Shigure knelt outside Yuki's room, his ear once again pressed to the door, eyes wide listening to something he thought can't be what he was thinking was happening. He'd already made the mistake of jumping to conclusions last time he sat here listening through this door, which put him in an embarrassing position at the disappointment that they weren't doing what it sounded like they were doing.

Getting up from the floor, Shigure shook his head. He really must stop thinking they were doing things like that, he was only going to get into trouble again. Walking back towards the stairs racking his brain to try and think what they really must be doing, he was a little bit worried with that, what they were saying, he couldn't think of anything else that they could have been doing other than…

Oh my,Shigure thought in a realising surprise. Perhaps…perhaps they really had been… Turning back to look at their door as he took one step down the stairs, he grinned, Oooo, I must tell Aya! As Shigure continued to ponder how he would phrase this news to Aya, lost in perverted thoughts as he walked down the stairs, he missed the small giggles coming from Yuki's room.

Yuki and Haru sat at the edge of their bed, watching Shigure's shadow move away from the light under the door indicating he had stopped eavesdropping on them.

"Heh, I can't wait to see his face tomorrow." Haru said, as he and Yuki had known Shigure had been there all along and was making out that they were doing exactly what Shigure was bound to think they were doing, when all along they had just been sitting there and trying not to laugh in between the role-playing.

"Shame it couldn't have been the real thing though."

Haru had expected Yuki to turn to him with a shocked face for saying that out loud so calmly, but when he looked at him through the corner of his eye, Yuki was looking at him and smiling tenderly, a soft blush on his cheeks.

Yuki was too happy to have found someone like Haru to love him, he knew Haru well enough to expect these kinds of teases now anyway. He didn't want to be with anyone else, Haru would be the only one he would ever love, he was sure of that.

"What are you thinking about?" Haru asked, seeing the far away look in Yuki's eyes.

"Just you." He answered quietly, "Just that I want to stay with you forever."

Haru's eyes softened as he looked upon the only one he wanted, the only one that he'd allow himself to love. Yuki slowly raised his left arm and ran his hand through Haru's hair, before leaning in to kiss him gently.  Funny, so long he had denied himself the one thing he wanted, the one thing that was so desperately trying to be with him, and now, as far Yuki was concerned, once the snow had melted, Spring was the only thing to rule.

------

Shigure sat at his desk, written notes for his new novel in a scattered pile on his desk. Hands on the keyboard getting ready to start his new masterpiece, he smiled at the photos of Yuki and Haru that were on the other side of his desk. Their first kiss, walking to school together, the blushes he'd catch on Yuki's cheeks, and the hug Yuki had given Haru at the Hotspring when Haru had told him about his parents, the picture that Aya had taken. Amongst those and others, they really had helped Shigure with his research for his new novel.

After all, how can you write a story called 'Black & White Heart', without Haru and his only love for a template?

The End

An: It may be the end, but there is an epilogue, READ ON MY FRIENDS!!