Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny Unmasked ❯ Desolated Freedom ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

HEY!
I'd like to thank the people that have posted recent comments on my story.
Sorry if I'm lingering on about how Karina's related to the Sohmas but I've got a lot to write before I reveal that so all I can say is keep reading, hope you find chapter 6 interesting!
 
Chapter 6 Desolated Freedom
 
Yuki and Kyo waited for the sound, they closed their eyes for a few seconds. Then they opened their eyes and stared in amazement. They were still human; they hadn't changed into their zodiac form. Could it be that they had been freed from the curse? Tohru and Karina looked at them oddly.
 
“Kyo! Yuki! You didn't transform!” Tohru exclaimed wildly.
 
“We didn't, I don't know why though…” Yuki said still wondering what had just happened.
 
Kyo was still speechless while Tohru ran around excitedly shouting “You're free!”
 
“Uhh…. There isn't such thing as a curse is there; you guys were trying to trick me.” Karina said coldly in a tone that meant she was serious and confused at the same time.
 
Kyo walked towards Tohru and hugged her to makes sure that he wasn't dreaming. `Poof!' Kyo transformed into the orange cat that he had always been. Yuki, Tohru and Karina looked at Kyo. They couldn't understand why they didn't transform when Karina had hugged them.
 
“Why?….oh darn it I knew this was just a stupid lame joke.” Kyo said staring at the floor.
 
“How..how…” said Yuki, his head hurting from thinking too much.
 
“I don't know. The curse isn't broken after all…and yet I thought…” Tohru walked off sadly.
 
“Okay, this is getting confusing. How about we just get back and I'll test this on Momiji and Haru tomorrow if it makes you happy.” Karina spoke quietly.
 
Karina hugged Yuki and Kyo one last time noticing that they didn't transform.
 
“This is totally weird. I'm just going to go home and I'll see you tomorrow and I promise I won't tell a soul about your so called secret.”
 
Half an hour later Tohru, Kyo and Yuki went straight home and Tohru told Shigure about the incident that involved transforming and non transforming.
 
“Well that is strange, could it be….” Shigure thought aloud.
 
“Could it be what?” Tohru asked eager to hear.
 
“A cure, hmmmm, there is a possibility we might have a cure for our curse. I might need to have a meeting with Hatori and maybe Akito too.”
 
“Are you mad? Even if Karina is a cure if you tell Akito, he'd get rid of her, you know how much Akito enjoys watching us suffer from the damn curse. He'd never want a cure, he'd keep us as servants for as long as he desires, there's no way your telling Akito.” Kyo interrupted.
 
“I'm afraid theres no choice.” Shigure replied.
 
“Shigure, why don't you just keep this quiet for now, who knows? Maybe tomorrow something will change.” Yuki told him.
 
“Fine. But you three better know what you're doing.” Shigure pointed out.
 
This was the first time Tohru had ever seen Shigure so serious. Could a cure for the curse be that life-threatening? She really thought it would've been a good thing to most people especially ones with the curse on them. She still wondered how Kureno managed to get his curse pulled off him suddenly but then again he doesn't have much freedom in life since he swore to Akito that he would stay by his side.
 
Back at Karina's apartment, she realised that her phone had a message left on it. She checked the message.
 
“Karina, this is Stella Cyrwood, receptionist from your mother's hospital. The hospital, something's happened. I need you to call a doctor to your house immediately. I'll meet you soon. Don't leave the house!” The receptionist said sounding very panicked.
 
Karina's heart lurched in fright. She quickly rang the doctor and called him to her house. While within those minutes of waiting for the doctor's arrival, she heard a loud knock on her door. She opened it finding the receptionist and a security guard with her mother lying unconscious before her eyes. She gave a short scream as she saw the state that they were in.
 
“What happened?” She asked angrily.
 
The receptionist and the guard let themselves in and placed Nagisa on the couch ignoring Karina's question.
 
“Have you called the doctor?” Stella asked firmly.
 
Then the doorbell rang and Karina ran to get it. The doctor had arrived and Karina gestured to her unconscious mother.
 
While the doctor tried to work his magic on Nagisa, the receptionist Stella told Karina what had happened.
 
“It was so frightening. We were running some tests for your mother when the hospital caught on fire. The alarm went off, it was a humongous fire. Everyone was evacuating the patients and I took your mother with me. Unfortunately she breathed in some smoke and fell unconscious although she was still alive. So I took her with me and the guard carried her here. We had to take a taxi..” Stella said looking away.
 
“Oh my god.” Karina said looking at her mother blinking back hard tears.
 
“But there is something your mother wanted to tell you, I'm afraid she won't be here long enough. So I think I should confess.”
 
“Confess what?” Karina demanded.
 
“You're adopted.” The receptionist said bravely without hesitation.
 
Karina felt like there was no one in the room but her. She felt as if she was alone.
 
“You're joking…. You're mad.” Karina replied pretending she hadn't heard her.
 
“Karina I'm serious, and I'm going to tell you everything so don't interrupt me! When you were little, your adoptive mother Nagisa found you and a note at her doorstep. The note is right here in my pocket as your mother wanted to give it to you when you were older but I suppose right now is the only time we can do this, so here.” Stella handed Karina a piece of yellow crinkled paper.
 
It read `This is Karina Sohma, please take care of her, we don't want this baby.”
 
Tears starting falling out of Karina's eyes continuously.
 
“No…they…how-how could somebody do this to me?” She asked herself.
 
“I'm sorry. Your original parents didn't want you. Nagisa chose to adopt you when she saw that the parent's lacked responsibility. Nagisa was never married, she didn't want to say this to you too soon so she pretended that your dad had left. Your real parent's are unknown, all I can say is your real mother was a drug addict and your real father was a businessman who's previous wife died a long time ago. Yes it was a messed up family but if you want to find them, good luck with that.” She finished.
 
Karina couldn't handle all the information that just popped up in her head.
 
Then she saw her mother twitch and she sprinted towards her side calling Nagisa's name loudly.
 
“Karina….” Nagisa said suddenly full of energy. Her mother looked as if she had just woken up from a scary dream.
 
“Yes mum?” Karina said.
 
“Y-you-your...I love you and you're a w-w-onderful daughter...” Nagisa whispered.
 
In seconds her mother had blacked out and Karina had been trying to gain her consciousness but it was impossible. Her mother had gone.
 
 
 
Yes, I know: chapter 6 is very very tragic.
Well just F.Y.I things will lighten up, although the mystery continues.
 
Fruitylicious-Angel