Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny Unmasked ❯ Emerging Shadows ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hopefully this chapter will be a little more cheerful.
Thx for the reviews. Much appreciated.
So... on with the story
_________________________________________________________________ _________________________
 
Chapter 7 Emerging Light
 
Taken aback by what had happened, a week passed slowly and Karina missed school since her adoptive mother Nagisa lost her life breathing in too much smoke during the fire at the hospital. The receptionist, security guard and doctor had gone home after such drama. Tohru and her friends had even visited Karina, bringing her gifts and cheer up cards.
 
The funeral was arranged to be on Sunday. Karina had invited her friends, Kenji and his family and a few friends of Nagisa's. Everybody wore black and placed flowers by Nagisa's coffin and many people sobbed. Now most people knew that Karina was adopted, she felt a bit better as they would support her.
 
At a point, Karina had even thought of selling her apartment so she could go back to live with Kenji and his parent's but she knew that she couldn't depend on them forever and that it would be too much to ask for since they had paid for the funeral and her school fees. Plus she didn't want to leave her new friends just when she might be the key to curing the Sohma curse.
 
“Karina, even though your mum isn't here anymore remember that you've still got us around. We're here for you.” Risa said trying to make Karina less sad with Kenji and his dad standing behind her looking gloomy.
 
“Thanks, after mum died, it suddenly hit me. You are the only family I have left.” Karina replied feeling a little queasy.
 
“Karina, you'll be fine, you always get through tough situations and you'll do it this time too. But if you ever feel you need someone to talk to, I'm right here.” Kenji stated hoping that it would motivate her a little. Karina smiled back at him and he gave her a comforting hug.
 
There was a time when Karina would wish there was someone to guide her so she wouldn't have to make choices that she would regret later in life.
 
After the funeral, Tohru had persuaded Karina to come back to school. While Kyo offered her to take martial arts lessons with him and his master for fun, Yuki had asked Karina if she wanted to go to the cinema together in the weekend to relax. Karina agreed happily to all their offers and suggestions as spending time with her best friends will make her forget her worries.
 
So over the next few days, Karina went to school and did some re-tests as she missed the exams. She also saw Haru and Momiji and told them about how she might be the cure to the curse while Momiji listened carefully and Haru stood there with yet another blank expression on his face. They didn't even transform when she hugged them which made them believe what she had to say.
 
Once she had gotten her results back, she passed with flying colours. Her life was starting to lighten up a bit. Kenji's mother even took Karina to the beauty parlour to get their facials done, pedicure, manicure and even a dreamy session at the spa and the sauna.
 
Wednesday afternoon was her first martial arts lesson, she walked with Kyo to his master's house and they did some basic easy training for the day. Of course she enjoyed it a lot. Kyo was teaching her which was a bit of a laugh because of his constant attitude change, one minute he was raising his temper at the other people who were training and the other minute, he was full on concentrated and the next he was smiling.
 
A man with greyish blackish hair appeared behind Kyo.
 
“Hello son.” He said.
 
Kyo turned around and smiled. “Master!”
 
“Who is this may I ask?” He questioned looking at Karina.
 
“This is Karina Sohma a friend from school.” Kyo introduced her to his dad/master.
 
Kyo's master had a funny expression on his face when she mentioned the name but then quickly changed it.
 
“Hello, I'm Kazuma Sohma, I'm Kyo's dad and his master. Nice to meet you and Kyo, I'm glad that you're making more friends.”
 
Kyo continued training with Karina while Kazuma made some phonecalls.
 
“So he's your dad huh?” Karina asked.
 
“Well yea, he actually adopted me but he is the best dad I could ever get and to make it better he was the one who taught me everything I needed to know about martial arts!” Kyo explained.
 
“You-you were adopted too?” Karina stuttered.
 
“Yup.” Said Kyo although he sounded proud to say it.
 
`Perhaps I should be proud too' Karina thought. She still wondered who her real parents were, where they were, and why they ever came up with an idea of abandoning her. Little did she know that her question was about to be answered in less than an hour.
 
Kazuma then came out again and called Kyo inside for a private conversation.
 
5 minutes late Kyo came out with a saddened look on his face.
 
“Kyo, are you okay. What happened?” Karina was concerned.
 
“Uhh, actually my master…. He knows who your real parents are.” He said slowly.
 
Karina stood motionless at the thought of `real' parents.
 
“What?”
 
“Just go inside. I uhh… think you better discuss it with my master….no wait, I'll come with you.” He said, for some reason Kyo looked like he was nervous or shivering with fear. Whatever it was, Karina knew it couldn't be good news, or could it?
 
 
She walked towards the entrance of the house with Kyo, and then stepped in slowly.
 
Kazuma was sitting on a chair with the same expression as Kyo.
 
“T-take a seat, make yourself comfortable, the thing you're about to hear may not be the most pleasant.” He explained putting on a fake smile.
 
“Okay, you might as well want to tell me now, trust me I've had a lot of experiences the recent weeks and if you tell me now then I can get it over and done with.” Karina said trying to sound brave when actually her insides were weak with sickness.
 
Her hands started sweating and her legs started to shake as Kazuma told her about her `real parent's'
 
 
Cool!! the story is near to its conclusion.
Keep visiting this site for chapter 8 will be here very soon.
 
Fruitylicious-Angel