Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Forget Me ❯ Flames ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Hey, as I've promised, this will be a better chapter especially during the second half LOL. Oh by the way do any of you know where Tohru and the Sohma's actually live? Like Tokyo for example? Cos I really don't know, but for this story I'm just going to pretend that Tokyo is where they live and Nagoya is where Kenji lives. So ENJOY!
 
Chapter 2: Flames
 
“Buzz..Buzz..Buzz” Kyo Sohma's alarm clock rang.
 
“Damn that alarm clock, it's the weekend for goodness sake.” Kyo whacked his alarm clock so it stopped ringing. `Oh well, suppose I better go down for breakfast now anyway.' Kyo thought as he got changed and went down the stairs to see a smiling Tohru.
 
“Good morning Kyo.” She said brightly.
 
“You're up early…as always.” He murmured.
 
“Yes well you guys need to eat don't you?” Tohru handed him a plate of food.
 
“Thanks.” Kyo took a seat and switched the T.V on while eating.
 
“Morning Miss Honda.” Yuki's usual gloomy wake-up face made Kyo slightly intimidated.
 
“Hello Yuki.” She gave him the same plate of food as Yuki sat on the opposite end of Kyo.
 
“So today's the weekend, what do you have in mind that we could do?” Yuki asked while switching off the T.V making Kyo irritated.
 
“DAMN RAT!” Kyo shouted but stopped as soon as Tohru started to talk.
 
“Well I was actually thinking that we could go to the amusement park with Karina if that's okay.” Tohru suggested.
 
“Sure it is.” Yuki nodded.
 
“Serious? We're going to the amusement park?” Kyo said sarcastically.
 
“Yes…why don't you want to go?” Tohru queried.
 
“Nah, it's okay, I'll go as long as I'm not sitting next to that rat on the rides.” Kyo said under his breath as Yuki ignored him.
 
“So shall I call Karina now?” Tohru asked.
 
“Go ahead, I'm sure she'd love to come.” Yuki replied.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Ring…Ring…Ring..” The telephone woke Karina up.
 
“Oh...Great…there goes my sleep.” Karina picked up the phone.
 
“Hello Karina, oh sorry did I wake you up?” Tohru heard Karina's half awake voice.
 
“Yea but who cares, so what's up?” Karina shrugged it off.
 
“I was thinking that the four of us could go to the amusement park…Me, Yuki, Kyo and you.”
 
“Okay. That sounds good. What time?”
 
“Around 3:00pm?”
 
“Ok, see you then, bye.” Karina hung up.
 
`So that would give me enough time to go to lunch at starbucks café with Kenji then perhaps meet up with Tohru and the others at the amusement park.'
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Karina caught a bus to starbucks and seated herself next to the window hoping that Kenji would not be late this time.
 
“Karina!” Kenji's friendly face popped out of nowhere as she sighed with relief.
 
“Hey Kenji.”
 
They ordered their lunch and drinks and chatted but Karina was still curious about why he was late yesterday, he sounded really troubled not to mention his tone as if he was hiding a secret.
 
“So what was with last night?” Karina got straight to the point as Kenji's face fell.
 
“Umm…yea…well you see it's really….umm….” Kenji stuttered.
 
“Come on, you can tell me.” Karina gave him a trusting look.
 
“I know…it's just complicated…oh fine…but I don't want to ruin your afternoon. Karina…dad died last night.” Kenji grasped her hands as her face turned white.
 
“What?” Was all she could say.
 
“I only left Nagoya two days ago to visit you and just yesterday he got a heart attack and a work colleague found him in his work office…unconscious, she called the hospital but once he got there, he didn't make it.” Mum only found out after he had died and so she called me, I had to go there and visit him and I closed my cell-phone while I was there so that there wasn't anyone disturbing us while we were giving our farewell to dad. I'm sorry Karina that I left you waiting but I didn't know what else to do until after I left the hospital.” Kenji saw that Karina had started crying already, he handed her a tissue and tried to comfort her.
 
“I really didn't want to ruin your day Karina and I couldn't tell you yesterday, it was just too hard.” He explained. Karina still had half of her meal left as she had no appetite to eat anymore and Kenji on the other hand cancelled his meal and just kept to his drink.
 
“Kenji…This isn't fair, I find out I'm adopted, my adoptive mother is dead and now your dad's gone, he was part of my family though…” Karina sobbed. Life was too tragic; right now she needed a shoulder to cry on.
 
“I know…Karina…but you do realise, we still have my mum and you have me too.” Kenji tried to stay on the positive side.
 
“I think…we should get out of here.” Karina ran out the door as Kenji gave the waitress the money and ran after her.
 
“Karina…things will be okay…I promise, just think, dad's up there and he's happy, I'm sure of it.” Kenji put his arm around her shoulder.
 
“I guess this has happened to me too many times, I should be okay…Kenji, thanks but I have to go, I'm supposed to meet my friends at the amusement park right now.” Karina told him.
 
“Oh okay….we'll are you sure you're okay?”
 
“I'll be fine. Just make sure you tell me when the funeral dates are held, I promise I'll attend.” Karina put on a brave face.
 
“Sure…and Karina…I love you.” Kenji answered.
 
“Love you too…Bye!” She called out as she started walking off.
 
[Kenji's p.o.v]
 
`She doesn't get it, every time I try to say it to her, she treats it like I don't mean it that way, she thinks that I only love her as a friend, but I've tried to tell her, why doesn't she understand that I really love her as in love her, love her kind of way. She knows I've turned down almost all the girls in my high school for her…I guess right now's not a good time to be saying this after dad passed away. But I've gotta get that into her head that I care about her a lot. Keeping secrets from her just doesn't feel right and if I tell her next time, maybe I should explain how I feel about her. But what's the bet that I'll chicken out by the time I actually start talking about this to her.' Kenji sighed heavily.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Hey Tohru, sorry I'm late.” Karina saw Kyo's bright orange head that stood out in the crowd.
 
She gave Kyo a friendly hug for fun and smiled at Yuki. Luckily the situation about her guardian father was getting better so she could be in a good mood for the rides in the amusement park plus she'd be spending time with her friends and her half-brother Kyo who she adored lovingly for his not on purpose sense of humour.
 
“Geez…at least you're not Kagura.” Kyo complained although he didn't seem to mind so much.
 
“So how about the Haunted house?” Karina suggested halfway until she saw the look of fear on Tohru's face that meant a no.
 
“Or not.” She added.
 
“No, I want to get in there and face my fears.” Tohru tightened her fists.
 
“You know the last time you said that, you almost fainted from phobia of the mechanical ghosts.” Kyo corrected her.
 
“Miss Honda, are you sure you want to do this?” Yuki asked.
 
“Yes, come on, all of you are here, I should be fine!” Tohru said cheerfully hiding the nerves inside of her.
 
“Okay…I'm just kind of glad Haru's not here, last time he was here, he broke the ghost's head off.” Yuki mentioned as Karina started laughing.
 
“Alright Haunted house it is! Tohru don't worry, you'll be fine.” Karina gave her a look of confidence as she entered the Haunted house first with Tohru scurrying after her holding Kyo's hand with Yuki walking slowly behind.
 
“Come on Yuki, hurry up.” Karina stopped and waited for him then grabbed his hand and ran after Kyo and Tohru.
 
“AARRGGH!” A scary looking vampire with fake blood from his teeth jumped out in front of Tohru and scared the hell out of her.
 
“Oww.” Kyo felt Tohru's hand clutch tighter and tighter.
 
“Alright, you look petrified, let's get you out of here.” Kyo walked faster and walked in front since he just smirked whenever a ghost came out.
 
“Poof!” Kyo had transformed into a cat after Tohru had hugged him during another ghost appearance. Luckily it was so dark that everyone was unable to see where the noise had come from. Tohru looked down and spotted Kyo, she quickly carried him in her arms and ran out of the ghost house with her eyes closed since it was straight ignoring all the ghosts.
 
“Hey, where's Tohru and Kyo?” Karina asked noticing their sudden disappearance.
 
“I'm not sure, I think their already outside.” Yuki replied.
 
“Oh well Tohru's doing really good then.” Karina grinned then felt her heart jump as a skeleton leaped out and tapped her on the back.
 
“Are you sure you don't have a fear for ghosts?” Yuki asked.
 
“Uhh…well…I just hate it when they touch me…” Karina shivered.
 
Finally they could see the end of the long tunnel as they spotted Tohru and Kyo waiting for them. He had changed back and Tohru was looking slightly better,
 
“So how'd you do Miss Honda?” Yuki looked at Tohru's fake-smile face.
 
“Fine…just fine.” Tohru lied.
 
“Although she did pretty well on running out of the tunnel with her eyes closed.” Kyo ruffled her hair.
 
“Haha.” Tohru gave a nervous laugh of embarrassment.
 
“Maybe we should try something else.” Kyo looked around the big theme park.
 
“How about a Ferris Wheel?” Tohru looked at the colourful but high Ferris wheel.
 
“Sure, right after I get some cotton candy.” Karina grabbed her wallet out and bought one for each one of them.
 
“Thanks.” Kyo started to eat as they made their way towards the Ferris wheel.
 
“Come on Kyo, let's go.” Tohru pulled him towards an orange coloured Ferris wheel car and jumped in and closed the door behind them.
 
“Oh man, they left us loners again.” Karina joked.
 
“Haha, oh well, we'll go together then.” Yuki gave her a heart-warming smile as she blushed lightly. They were having a great time so far and there were still so many rides to go on.
 
“Wow, Kyo look at the view!” Tohru pointed out at the overall scene of the whole theme park.
 
“Yea…it's big.” Kyo looked down at Yuki and Karina's car under and behind them.
 
They looked like they were talking and having fun…that was until he saw Karina lean in to give Yuki a kiss on the cheek. He stood up instantly and banged his head hard on the small roof above him since he was tall.
 
“Aaargh.” Kyo felt a lump on his head.
 
“Oh my gosh, Kyo are you alright?” Tohru turned around and looked at Kyo.
 
“Damn rat.” Kyo muttered.
 
“What?” Tohru asked a bit confused.
 
“Nothing…nothing.” Kyo rubbed his sore head.
 
“What happened to your head?”
 
“I just banged it when I stood up. Nothing big.” Kyo reassured her turning his attention back on Yuki and Karina.
 
`What in the world are they talking about and what the hell is that damn rat doing?' He asked himself spying on them as Tohru looked at him oddly seeing what he was looking at. Kyo slowly noticed her.
 
“What are you looking at Kyo?” Tohru questioned.
 
“Uhh…the scenery below us.” Kyo made up a quick answer.
 
“Silly Kyo, you don't have to look behind, just look under our feet there's a see through floor.” Tohru laughed as he felt dumbfounded.
 
“Yea…I didn't see that.”
 
After a number of rides, they decided to go on one last ride which would be the love tunnel where you would sit on a swan like boat and into a romantic tunnel with lighting effects and hearts and beautiful gardens around them. They saw a row of couples queuing behind the line and going on the boat into the sweet large tunnel behind these grass curtains with a waterfall on walls of the tunnel.
 
“Okay…let's try this one, it looks fun.”
 
“Oh it's so beautiful!” Tohru gasped.
 
“Oh no…” Kyo whined as Yuki stayed quiet. This was more of a girl thing to them that they thought it was best to keep silent.
 
“So who's going to go with me?” Karina gave direct looks at Kyo and Yuki.
 
“Uhh…” Was their reply.
 
“Guys…it'll be fun.” Karina pleaded.
 
“I'm your half-brother, it'll look weird.” Kyo said. This was an opportunity to try to hear what Yuki and Karina were talking about before.
 
“Alright, I'll go with you then.” Yuki took her hand as they showed the pass to the people activating the ride. They were seated in a purple boat and Kyo and Tohru were seated in a turquoise coloured boat as the boat started to move into the grand tunnel.
 
“Wow this is fascinating.” Karina took out her camera and started snapping pictures even though she wasn't meant to.
 
“Yea, the lightings great.” Yuki answered.
 
They had just passed a section where there were willow trees that hung over them and shiny lights stuck on the ceiling that shone on the boats as they passed.
 
“No wonder why they call this the romantic tunnel, or shall I say the tunnel of love.” Tohru giggled as she watched the glistening water leaving cripples as the boat moved.
 
“Yea…yea.” Kyo answered trying not to sound too bored as he tried to make the boat go faster in order to hear what the rat and his half-sister were saying. He placed his hand in the water and started to paddle even though he knew it would only make him look like an idiot.
 
“Kyo, what are you doing?” Tohru saw his hand in the water.
 
“Enjoying the uhh…temperature of the water…and seeing if there's any fish in there.” Kyo replied.
 
“Oh well get ready because there's a camera coming up and we might want to take a good picture.” Tohru insisted as she pointed at the camera above their heads just a few metres away.
 
“Ok.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---
 
“Yuki…say cheese!” Karina told Yuki as she put her arm around Yuki's neck and smiled at the camera for a funny pose that would make everyone think that they were a couple.
 
“Cool, let's just hope I didn't blink.” Yuki laughed as the tunnel reached its end.
 
It was Kyo and Tohru's turn for their picture when Kyo was still glaring at the boat in front of him. `Something's going on between those two….are they secretly a couple?' Kyo thought suspiciously.
 
“Smile Kyo.” Tohru called out while Kyo just gave an annoyed look at the camera.
 
“Finally, the rides over.” Kyo complained as he jumped out of the boat and helped Tohru.
 
Then he remembered something, he sprinted to the photo booth and tried to find Yuki's picture after handing his to Tohru, not wanting it himself. Soon realising that Yuki had already taken it and given it to Karina with a copy of his own since they purchased two, Kyo got agitated.
 
“What are those two up to?” He said out loud.
 
“Kyo, Tohru!…come on, we're leaving!” Karina shouted.
 
“Oh wow, I love this photo but I can't help but notice…Kyo you looked unhappy.” Tohru pointed out on the photo with his grumpy expression.
 
“Nah, that was just because I hate photos.” Kyo joked.
 
“Oh ok.” Tohru understood.
 
“Karina, how about I walk you home?” Yuki suggested as Kyo overheard him.
 
`Yup they're definitely up to something.' Kyo glared at Yuki.
 
“Oh no it's okay, I'm fine, I'll just call a taxi and be on my way home, besides I don't want to cause you guy's trouble. See ya! And thanks for an awesome time.” She waved.
 
`Or maybe I'm just being paranoid today.' Kyo relaxed a little.
 
“Come on you stupid cat, Tohru will be serving leeks today, you wouldn't wanna miss it.” Yuki said trying to annoy Kyo.
 
“What!!”
 
“Oh no, I think Yuki was only joking.” Tohru interrupted.
 
“Damn rat.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Oh welcome home, you three!” Shigure's over-excited voice filled the air.
 
“What is it this time, you sound like you're hiding something.” Yuki and Kyo exchanged glances.
 
“Well no, I'm not going to hide it, guess who we have as a guest?” Shigure slid the door open to reveal a scary looking Akito.
 
“Hello Yuki, Tohru, Kyo.” His icy voice froze the room into a million ice cubes.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
A/N: So how was that for chapter 2? A little of sadness and some humour but I hope you liked it! Review if you can, I wanna know what you think of this. Thx