Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Forget Me ❯ Chemistry ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: A note, I don't know if Akito can drive or not but I'll say that in this story, he does know and one more thing, I do know he is a girl, but I prefer him to stay as a boy for this story.
 
Chapter 3: Chemistry
 
Yuki, Tohru and Kyo sat down opposite Akito while Shigure went to the kitchen to prepare some tea. Time went as slow as ever when Akito started to speak.
 
“So you two obviously have forgotten that I invited you to a special banquet this afternoon.”
 
“Me? I thought…” Normally the cat wasn't allowed to attend which made Kyo confused.
 
“Yes, it's not a new year's party, it's just a gathering to see how you are all doing, you were invited Kyo, I gave you an opportunity to prove yourself and now you've lost the chance. See what this girl has done to you, haha going to an amusement park, so inappropriate.” Akito snickered while blaming Tohru.
 
“Akito, it's not her fault, I decided to go.” Yuki corrected.
 
“Silence, I didn't ask you to give you're opinion of the matter now tell me about this new girl you've been extremely close to recently, she better not know about the curse.” Akito threatened as Yuki started to shiver.
 
“Her name's Karina, she's a good friend of ours.” Yuki tried to keep the curse part secret.
 
“And what else? Does she know of our Sohma curse?”
 
“I don't think so.” Kyo lied.
 
“YOU IMBECILE!” Akito suddenly got up and threw the snacks plate onto the floor causing it to break, giving everyone a fright.
 
“Don't act like I don't know about that incident Kyo you fool! I know everything about you're relationship with her! I know she's you're half sister, so don't try to lie to me!” Akito shouted.
 
Kyo, Yuki and Tohru were left speechless.
 
“Haha, just because Kazuma refused to tell me, my loyal Shigure did well on gathering all the facts from you're big mouth and transferring the information to me.”
 
A fireball of anger appeared inside of Kyo and Yuki as they glared at Shigure, he had revealed their secret to Akito, it was so close to betrayal.
 
“So let me tell you something, even if she could be the cure to our curse, I won't allow you to simply make your own decisions. You two even dare to lie to me, the head of your family! I'm going to leave it at that tonight but don't disappoint again or else the worst can come your way, so you better be prepared for it!” Akito warned them as he stomped out of the house and drove off in his car.
 
--------------------
 
“We've decided on the dates for the funeral, it'll be next weekend, do you think you can make it?” Kenji asked Karina as he sat in the couch in her apartment while making phone calls.
 
“Mm…Sure that's good.” Karina nodded writing down the event in her planner.
 
“Okay, great. Umm…Karina I'm just gonna make a trip to the convenience store to get something.”
 
“Alright, see you later.”
 
Karina started to browse her wardrobe for items she could wear to the funeral when she heard her door open.
 
“Back already?” Karina asked thinking it was Kenji.
 
“So I finally get to meet you Karina Sohma.” A death-seeking voice made Karina's heart stop. If it wasn't Kenji, then who was it? She turned around to find a tall slim black haired guy, quite young that looked somehow powerful and dominant.
 
“Who are you?” She asked backing down a bit.
 
“That's a good question, maybe I shouldn't tell you, I wouldn't want to spoil the fun.”
 
“What do you want?” This guy was creepy and if she had the opportunity Karina would run out the door but it was impossible since he was blocking it shutting the door behind him.
 
“Your attention.”
 
“Well you have it, now tell me why you're here.”
 
“I've noticed a strange feeling around you, but I don't like it at all, in fact I hate it, I need to get rid of it, so perhaps I should get rid of you.” He laughed with an evil tone.
 
Before she could duck for cover, the man had swung his leg and kicked her around the stomach causing her to trip and fall to the ground. Although she was hurt, she still tried to get away staggering to her feet and facing the man she soon felt a pounding pain on her head as she black out unaware of what had happened.
 
---------
 
“Karina! Come on wake up.” Kenji's voice entered her head as she opened her eyes seeing a humongous blurry mess around her. Then she remembered the man wearing black was attacking her even though she tried to defend herself, he was just too strong and there was a sign of expertise in martial arts in that man. She sat up seeing herself on the couch, maybe Kenji had managed to get her there himself.
 
“Are you alright?” His face was full of worry as she saw blood on his hands.
 
“Kenji, you're hands are bleeding!” She stammered trying to get a closer look.
 
“It's from you're head, you're the one who's bleeding.” Kenji pointed out while she felt a tight bandage around her forehead. Then she saw it, the room was completely turned inside out with the vases on the floor, the books off the shelf, signs of deliberate vandalizing.
 
“My apartment…” Karina's eyes turned watery.
 
“Karina, what happened to you? I was so worried, afraid that…that…never-mind…but you seriously scared me to death.” Kenji's eyes were red and stressed.
 
“I don't know, after you had left, a man came in wearing complete black, he wanted to kill me and he nearly did. All I remember is feeling a sharp pain on my head and then falling unconscious.” Karina explained reliving the moment of horror.
 
“Who was it, we have to call the police.”
 
“Kenji…don't, I really don't think I should get the police involved with this, I just have a feeling it's got nothing to do with just attempted murder, it's beyond that.”
 
“But we have to find out who did this to you.” He protested.
 
“I have a feeling he will come back if you contact the police.” Karina stopped him from picking up the phone.
 
“Ok...well do you need anything? Water? Ice? Something to eat?”
 
“Kenji, stop panicking, I'm fine.”
 
“Karina, I'm just worried.”
 
“Worried about what?”
 
“You of course, I've never seen you in such a mess.”
 
“Mess? What is that suppose to mean?”
 
“I mean…you've…you've changed…a lot.”
 
“Me? Changed?”
 
“It's confusing…just forget what I said.” Kenji dropped the subject as he felt himself going nowhere with this conversation since Karina couldn't understand the point where he was heading towards.
 
“I'm going to get you a glass of water.” He stood up and walked to the messy kitchen.
 
“So…are you hiding something?” Karina suspected a slight oddness in Kenji's voice.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Come on, I know you want to tell me something, just tell me.” Karina gave him a hopeful look.
 
Kenji passed Karina the glass of water and sat down beside her looking down at the carpet trying to figure out the words that were all jumbled up inside his head.
 
“Karina….” He paused.
 
“Yes?” She gave him a signal to carry on speaking since he was slowly gaining the confidence.
 
“Umm…ever wondered why I've never actually dated anyone?”
 
“Apart from you being drop dead handsome and making all the girls in our high school drool…no not really but I'd really like to know why Kenji, you've always kept things to yourself, why not let it out?”
 
“It's because I turned them down…I rejected all the girls that asked me out.” Kenji said after taking a deep breath.
 
“Serious, you really turned ALL of them down?” Karina repeated.
 
“Well yea…except for one…but she never asked me out anyway and I was too shy to ask her out because I thought she didn't feel the same way about me, I was afraid that she'd turn me down because of various reasons.” Kenji was beginning to open up.
 
“Oh…tell me more?” Karina got interested and was curious to know.
 
“And when I thought I had the courage to tell her how I feel, she moved away to another place and didn't keep in contact with me for a long time.”
 
“That's sad…was she in our class?”
 
“Yea.”
 
“What was she like?”
 
“Fun, Bubbly, Really pretty too, she always had some jokes up her sleeve.”
 
“Wow, I'd sure like to meet that girl.” Karina laughed although she couldn't help but feel a little awkward at what Kenji was saying.
 
“I think you've already met her.” Kenji answered.
 
“Oh really? So lets see…hmm…it's a girl that you've always liked..”
 
“The only girl I've ever liked.” Kenji corrected.
 
“Oh…okay…and she was in our class but she moved away and she's fun, bubbly, uhh really pretty? And uhh with humour…..”
“And I've known her for a while.” He added.
 
Suddenly Karina felt a strange feeling inside of her…wait I think I know this girl….that girl is me...ahh….no it can't be…it really can't be…..Kenji's never had an actual crush on me….but I'm the only person that makes sense to all this….could it really be me? She started to cough madly.
 
“Kenji…is that….person…me?” She gulped while feeling ever so embarrassed at asking that question. Kenji didn't answer; instead he just turned bright red and looked away while nodding.
 
“Oh my god….you had a crush on me?”
 
“Karina, I've been trying to tell you…”
 
“Oh my god.” Karina said it again with her mouth wide open.
 
“The other day…when I said I ..love you…I really meant it…but you always seemed to take it the other way…..like I love you as a friend….but I don't…I mean I do…..just more….than that…” He stuttered while Karina still kept her mouth open.
 
“That can't be true.” Karina had always had a crush on Kenji back in college, but he had always seemed to misjudge her feelings. But when they kept secrets from each other, and when they soon realised, it all came down to a huge misunderstanding.
 
“It is…true…I've just never been brave enough to tell you that because I always thought you'd reject me…”
 
“Kenji! I would never reject you, I liked you way before you became friends with me! How could you think that I would be so mean….couldn't you tell that I liked you too?”
 
“Uhh…no..” Kenji admitted with shame.
 
“Oh…okay…well I guess we're pretty stupid huh?” Karina could sense a bit of humour in the situation that made her laugh.
 
“I can't believe I took that long to guess that….but I have to give you credit for making up that guessing game with clues and all.” She added.
 
“I couldn't find another way to tell you….it's hard.”
 
“I know…but I mean that thing with turning down all the girls at you're high school? Whoa, I could imagine how many hearts you broke.”
 
“Yea but I bet they only wanted to have a go at me because I was popular, good-looking and rich, they never liked me for the real me….unlike you.”
 
“Thanks…I guess I should be thanking you too after you convinced you're family to take me in as part of their lives.”
 
“Nah…it's nothing.”
 
“No…It truly something….trust me.” Karina spoke softly.
 
Flashback:
 
Karina was in the school grounds eating her lunch by herself.
 
“Hey you…you're that new girl huh? Well let me tell you something, you're not welcome here so I suggest you leave this school, we're sick of you sticking around our faces and acting all innocent.” A mean-looking boy snatched her lunch and squashed it with his foot.
 
“Go Away you stupid head!” Karina shouted.
 
“What did you just call me? A stupid head? Is that what you think I am?” The boy grabbed her hair and started to pull on it.
 
“Hey!! Leave her alone Hachiro! She's a friend of mine.” Kenji pulled the boy off.
 
“Oh..Kenji...is she you're friend? I never realised, oh well gotta go to class.” The boy known as Hachiro ran off.
 
“Hey, thanks.” Karina smiled as Kenji helped her up.
 
“Sorry about that, I'm Kenji Yoshida, you're new right?”
 
“Karina Sohma, nice to meet you.”
 
“Oh well you can sit by me and my friends at lunchtime tomorrow and I'll show you to you're classes if you want.”
 
“You'd do that? Thanks a lot.”
 
End of Flashback
 
Before Karina could say anything more, Kenji held onto her hand tightly and leaned in and kissed her. It was Karina's first kiss and it was a bit strange that they were kissing in a messy apartment that had just been trashed. Although Kenji didn't seem to mind, he completely ignored the things around him and focused on Karina. But somehow…even though Karina was happy that Kenji liked her, she didn't feel any amazing sparks that came out of that kiss, the question was why?
 
-------------
 
“So did you like tonight's dinner?” Tohru asked Yuki as she washed the dishes.
 
“Yes. It was delicious as always.” Yuki helped dry the dishes.
 
“Okay…so please tell me that there is only one week of school left.” Kyo came into the room.
 
“Oh hi Kyo, and yes there is only one week left right after the exams finish.” Tohru replied.
 
“Ah, I'm so relieved, that means Valentine 's Day isn't on a school day, I just hope Kagura doesn't come around and ruin my weekend.” Kyo sighed.
 
He looked back at Yuki and Tohru, then spotted Yuki wasn't drying the dishes anymore, instead he was looking at a picture….the picture from the amusement park that he had taken on the Tunnel of Love ride with Karina. He walked closer and yep, it was just as he predicted … something was going on inside the damn rat's head.
 
----------------
 
A/N: Okay…yea I know, my story's a little confusing with the relationships at the moment but I did tell ya that this was going to be a complicated story. So if I could get you're ideas for a change about who you think should end up with my OC Karina? Yuki? Kenji or strangely enough….Kyo? Of course I'll leave some room for Tohru right after I get you're ideas and once I sort out my story. But I really hope that you are finding this interesting so far, so yea bring in you're ideas as soon as possible and Chapter 4 will be up in no time.