Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Forget Me ❯ Shigure's Explanation and Momiji's Surprise ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Don't Forget Me

Chapter Five: Shigure's Explanation and Momiji's Surprise

Disclaimer: I don't own Fruits Basket sadly. I do however own this piece of fanfiction so please do not copy or steal it!

Author's Notes: Mwahahaha, sorry that I left the last chapter on a bit of a cliffhanger, but I figured it was the best place to stop. Well anyways a lot of people are waiting for Tohru's reaction so here it is!

Chapter Five: Shigure's Explanation and Momiji's Surprise

"KYO!!!!" Tohru screeched. "Oh my gosh! What'd I do!? What happened!?" The distressed girl spun around to face the house still holding the unconscious cat. "UO! YUKI! ANYONE!!!" She called in a mad panic.

Yuki was the first to respond to her cry and immediately came out of the house and to her side. "Miss. Honda, what's…" Yuki's eyes slowly traveled from Tohru's face down to the cat in her hands and his expression went from utter fear to sheer embarrassment. "You stupid cat," he murmured.

Tohru meanwhile was still in a state of shock and confusion. "Yuki…. what happened to him!? I'm sure this is Kyo!"

"Shh…Miss. Honda I'll explain in a minute," Yuki hushed her and took Kyo out of her hands, hiding him behind his back as Uo came outside.

`Tohru, what the hell is going on out here!?" She yelled in a distressed voice.

"Oh, Miss Honda just thought she saw something out in the woods. Isn't that right?" Yuki smiled gently at Tohru, hoping that she would play along.

Fortunately she did. "Right, but I think it was just a…er cat now that I think about it!" She replied nervously.

Uo sighed and rolled her eyes. "Jeez Tohru, you scared me half to death. Be more careful okay?" She muttered as she turned back to go back inside.

Once she was gone, Tohru turned to face Yuki. "What's going on Yuki?" She asked and took a step foreward.

As she did, she tripped on a rock on the ground and fell forward at Yuki. "Ah…" Yuki said, trying to catch her, but still hold on the Kyo. In an explosion of purple smoke Tohru was left with a cat and a slightly disgruntled rat. She prepared to scream but Yuki in his rat for place his paws on the leg. "Please, don't scream," he said. "Just take us inside and we'll explain with Shigure."

Tohru gulped and nodded. She picked Yuki and Kyo up in her arms and numbly walked inside and all the way to Shigure's study. She found him actually working hard on one of his novels, and he hadn't seemed to notice her come in.

"Shigure…we have a problem." Yuki stated plainly.

"Oh, what is it Yuki?" Shigure looked up from his computer with a smile. Though is smile suddenly faded as he saw the three before him. "Oh."

"I…I…I…" Tohru stuttered very nervously, clinging to Kyo and Yuki tightly.

"Now, now Tohru," Shigure said as he stood up and walked over to her. "Just calm down and have a seat. We'll explain this all."

Tohru nodded numbly and sat down in a chair and started to put Kyo and Yuki down. "Oh, I'd keep hugging them Tohru. At least for now, unless of course you want a couple of naked boys in the room," Shigure smirked. Tohru blushed deeply but clung to the two animals.

"Stop it Shigure. We don't need her anymore frightened than she is already," Yuki scowled.

"Right, of course." Shigure nodded and slumped down into his chair. "Now Tohru, the reason Yuki and Kyo transformed is because out family is cursed. Whenever certain family members are hugged by a member of the opposite sex, or are under a lot of stress, they transform into an animal of the Zodiac. When you moved in with us you soon found out about the curse. In most cases we would have to had to have your memories erased, but the head of our house let you stay here with us and keep your memories, as long as it was kept a secret from others," Shigure let out the shortened explanation.

"Erased?" Tohru blinked. "Then have I…" She wondered.

"Yes, it is true," Shigure, sighed. "You do not have amnesia. Your memories of the Sohma's were erased."

"But why? Did I let the secret out! If I did….that was so horrible of me. I must have promised. To break a promise…" Tohru said, growing more and more upset.

"No, Miss Honda," Yuki finally spoke up. "You didn't do anything wrong. It was an accident."

"Accident?"

"Yes, a young boy was having his memories of us erased, and he reached for you at the very last second. There was no stopping it, you both had your memories erased, and the process can not be reversed," Yuki gave the sad explanation.

"I see…" Was all Tohru could manage.

"Are you all right Tohru? Not too overwhelmed I hope?" Shigure asked with concern.

"Oh no, I'm perfectly fine." Tohru assured him with her trademark smile. "Um…how do they turn back?" She wondered.

"Ah, they'll change back on their own as long as you don't hug them more," Shigure answered.

"All right." Tohru nodded and stood up. "I'll just bring Kyo upstairs then since he's still unconscious," she told them.

"I'll just stay down here Miss. Honda." Yuki said and crawled out of her arms and down to the floor.

"Okay, then," Tohru nodded and left the room.

"Oh, and Tohru!" Shigure called after her. "Make sure Kyo's covered by his blankets before he transforms back!"

Tohru blushed, understanding his meaning. "Right!' She shouted back and started up the stairs. She cradled Kyo gently in her arms as he lay unconscious. She reached her room, careful not to bother Uo. Tohru doubted that they wanted her knowing about this. She softly laid Kyo down on his bed and put the covers over him when she entered his room. "There," she whispered and kneeled down beside the bed. She watched the orange cat breath in and out silently in his sleep until a puff or orange smoke exploded causing her to yelp and back away from the bed.

When the smoke cleared, there was Kyo, human once more, still unconscious. Now that he wasn't bright orange, the scrapes and bruises he had received from the fall were more visible. Tohru's eyes sank and her face grew sadder by the second. She rested her head on her arms, and her arms on the edge of Kyo's bed. "I'm so sorry…" She whispered, tears starting to form in her eyes.

"Hey…" Kyo's voice said roughly. "Don't worry about it. I'm fine, see?"

Tohru gasped and looked up at his face. "K…Kyo!" She blushed. "Are you all right!?"

"Yeah, it's just a few scratches," he said, acting tough. "It's just because I was….a cat that I passed out." He turned his face away from Tohru. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"No! I'm glad I did!" Tohru assured him. "Shigure, he said there was no way to reverse my memory loss, but still, I can't give up! I want things to be like they were before I had my memories erased. Maybe that way I can remember more. That's why I'm going to ask Uo to move back home."

Kyo slowly looked back at Tohru's face with shock. "But…" He began.

"To tell you the truth, the idea of living with you three never seemed all that uncomfortable. I mean at first I was a little wary, but I know that my heart just…belonged here," Tohru said with a vacant look in her eyes. She then paused and blushed. "Oh, but I'm sure that just sounds silly right!?" She gasped nervously.

Kyo wanted to just assure her then and there that it wasn't silly, that it was the best thing he had heard in days, but being who he was; "It's sure does," is what came out of his mouth. "But you always say stupid things like that, so yeah…"

"Right…" Tohru gave him a small, hesitated smile. He did sound all that sincere when he had given her a reply so she didn't take it to heart. "Well, I'll just let you get dressed," she nodded and walked over to the door.

"Um, Tohru?" Kyo's voice cracked.

Tohru turned around just as she reached the door. "Yes?"

"Er…thanks."

"For what?" She blinked at him.

`For everything…' He thought. "Just…thanks," his voice translated.

"Sure," Tohru smiled and exited the room.

***

"So I'll see you around Tohru," Uo grinned and embraced her friend in a tight hug. "Probably when school starts next week."

"Right," Tohru nodded as she hugged her back. "Thank you for taking care of me."

"Hey, no problem. I was glad to do it," Uo smirked. "Well, bye," She said and left down the path, leaving Tohru by herself.

"Did that damn Yankee finally leave?" Kyo's voice asked rudely as he joined Tohru outside.

Tohru gasped, shocked and Kyo's entrance and spun around to look up at him. "Um...I told Uo that I was comfortable here by myself now, so she packed and left," Tohru explained and smiled at Kyo.

"Well...good," Kyo scratched the back of his head awkwardly, messing his orange hair slightly. He opened his mouth, as his cheeks grew ever so pink. He looked about ready to say something when...

"TOHRU!" An almost painfully cheery voice cried. Tohru and Kyo's eyes darted to the path where none other than the energetic Momiji came bounded down to them.

"Oh, hello Momiji." Tohru smiled as he reached them.

"Tohru! I heard you found out, about the curse!" Momiji bounced up in down in his spot and grinned up at Tohru.

"Oh, yes." Tohru nodded.

"YEAH! That means I can hug you again!" Momiji cheered and leapt forward, tackling Tohru and knocking her to the ground. In a puff of smoke a rabbit replaced the young boy. Tohru blinked in shock, then peered down at the rabbit in her lap.

"Awwww! You're so cute!" Tohru squealed with delight and hugged Momiji close.

Kyo rolled his eyes and growled lowly at the scene. "You stupid rabbit, did you really just come here to hug Tohru?" He spat.

"Well no...." Momiji replied. "I also have a surprise for Tohru!"

"A surprise? What is it?" Tohru wondered.

"We're going to the hot springs!" Momiji declared.

"WHAT!?"