Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ "Happy Beginning-of-Friendship Day!" ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket. I just really, really like it. Arigatou gosaimasu, Natsuki Takaya-sensei, for such a wonderful manga!
 
A/N: This chapter picks up directly from the end of the last. This is not the end! The story is not even close to being finished. So please keep reviewing! Sorry this chapter took longer than usual to post.
 
A/N 2: From this chapter on, the story won't just be from Kyo's POV. It'll end up being about equal between him and Yuki, with a few others thrown in for fun. I'll have to work out some sort of system to make perspective changes and scene changes recognizable… but for this chapter, you can probably figure it out.
 
 
CHAPTER 19: “Happy Beginning-of-Friendship Day!”
 
“You want to go back first?” Yuki asked as they approached the forest.
 
Kyo paused, then smiled. He's show Yuki just how bold he'd be about this. “No, I want to walk with you.”
 
Yuki blinked in surprise. “Um… all right. What will your excuse be, then?”
 
“We were hanging out.”
 
Yuki gave him a surprised smile. “You want to start now?”
 
Kyo shrugged. “Why not?” Best to get used to it immediately, preferably before school the next day. Kyo felt a little nervous. It was all very well to say he was proud of being Yuki's friend when they were together, and he really wasn't ashamed deep down, especially now. And he really wanted to be friends with Yuki, all the time. However, he was a bit worried that his temper hadn't quite adjusted to the idea yet. After all, his initial harsh words towards and about Yuki were hardly premeditated.
 
“Kyo?” Thoughts interrupted, Kyo turned to his cousin. “It's okay if you freak out. I won't be upset.”
 
Kyo pressed his lips together and looked away. “I'm not going to freak out. What do you think this is?”
 
“Okay,” Yuki replied with a slight smile. He slid open the front door. “We're home!”
 
“Ah, darling little brother!” called a voice from the other room. Yuki froze, and slowly closed his eyes as Ayame promenaded into the room. “I was wondering where my dear brother could be!” Ayame effused, taking one of Yuki's hands in both of his. “Yuki, let's let today be the day we deepen our brotherly bonds!”
 
Yuki finally opened his eyes and looked up, face absolutely expressionless. Then suddenly his lips twitched, and suddenly he was laughing. Ayame froze in wide-eyed wonder, and then suddenly hugged Yuki tightly. “I love you!” he cried.
 
Yuki froze, and instantly tried to pull away. So it was true. “Um… okay, nii-san. I know, but I can't breathe,” he said at last, gasping slightly.
 
“Yes, I know! You're so overcome with love for your brother that you can barely take a breath in your effusion!”
 
Yuki sighed and forcibly removed himself from his brother's embrace. “Please, nii-san.” He gave another short sigh, but he was still smiling. “What are you doing here, anyway?”
 
“I came to visit, of course!”
 
“Of course,” Yuki replied, putting a hand to his forehead.
 
“Ah, Yuki-kun! Kyo-kun! Welcome back!” Tohru said, rushing to the door. Her hair was tied back, and she had clearly been doing laundry. She paused, looking a bit confused. “Were you two together?”
 
“What about you?” Kyo asked, suddenly panicked. “Don't tell me you've been alone with Shigure and Ayame this whole time!”
 
“Um, no… Shigure-san had a meeting to go to, and Ayame-san came to visit while he was away! He said that he wanted to see Yuki-kun and Shigure-san, so he would wait with me until you came home.”
 
“Then you've been alone with Ayame?!” Kyo yelled.
 
“Um… yes. Is that bad?”
 
“Why so worried, Kyon-kichi?” Ayame asked with an all-too-innocent expression. “I have treated her with the epitome of respect! Of course she, someone's darling future housewife that she is, insisted that she had to do laundry. I wanted to offer to help, but I simply couldn't! Imagine if my clothes became dirty!”
 
Yuki put a hand against his forehead and sighed. “Nii-san…” He looked at Tohru. “Honda-san, he didn't… do anything strange to you, did he?”
 
“Strange?”
 
Yuki hesitated, then sighed. “Never mind.”
 
“But really, Yuki-kun, you must tell me why you and Kyo-kun were together! Can it be that your differences were finally resolved and that you are about to embark together on a journey of romantic fantasy?!”
 
“Up to the word `resolved', yes.”
 
When Kyo had promised to start right away, he had really thought the first person he'd have to deal with would be Tohru, or even Shigure, not that damn, hyper, perverted snake! But he sure as hell wasn't going to let the idiot think Yuki and he were a couple! He felt sick at the very thought. “Yuki and I were just hanging out!” Kyo yelled. “We were just together hanging out! As friends!”
 
Both Ayame and Tohru fell silent. “Friends?” Tohru asked at last.
 
Thank the kamis it was Tohru who asked. “Yes, friends. Yuki and I are friends now.” He glared at Ayame. “Just friends.”
 
“Dear me, dear me, how very unexpected!” Ayame cried. “And how very touching!! Imagine, after years of storms of enmity, the rat has finally opened his heart to the cat, and the cat has forgiven him! Has there ever been such joyful news? I dare say there has not! Kyon-kichi!”
 
“Stop calling me—”
 
“From now on, you will be treated by me as my beloved little brother's best friend—that is, with the epitome of respect—out of the great depth of brotherly love I have for Yuki-kun!!”
 
Kyo gritted his teeth. “Fine. You can start by calling me Kyo.”
 
“Of course, of course! Tohru-kun! We must throw them a celebration!”
 
“Uh… um…”
 
“Nii-san, we don't need a celebration,” Yuki said, smiling again. “We're trying not to get Akito upset, and he'd get upset over any kind of celebration. So please don't make a big deal out of this, okay?”
 
Kyo breathed a sigh of relief. Thank you, Yuki. He hadn't been certain just how blatant Yuki wanted him to be. Apparently, it was okay to be quiet about it, as long as it wasn't hidden. Like a normal friendship.
 
“But how?” Tohru asked, finally able to get a word in edgewise as Yuki continued convincing Ayame that a party really wasn't necessary.
 
“We've just been hanging out a lot together and stuff,” Kyo said, hands in his pockets. “Mostly when you were at work over the summer. And we got to know each other pretty well and… well, you were right, that we would like each other if we got to know each other.”
 
Tohru broke into a smile. “I'm so happy! But then… why was Kyo-kun acting like he hated Yuki-kun a few weeks ago?”
 
Kyo rubbed the back of his neck and looked away. “Because Kyo-kun can be an idiot sometimes,” he replied under his breath.
 
“But now everything is okay?”
 
Kyo smiled. It felt good to be forgiven. “Yeah. Everything's fine.”
 
“A cake!” Ayame said to Yuki. “That's all—just a cake. May I make you a cake—and some of my special tea? Just for a celebration with all of you and Gure-san! Please?”
 
Yuki sighed. “Okay, nii-san. You can make a cake.”
 
“Yosh!” he cried. “Tohru-kun! Where might I find your ingredients?”
 
“Ah, yes! They are right over here!” Ayame followed Tohru and Kyo sank to the floor and sat at the table. Yuki sat beside him.
 
“Thank you,” he said quietly.
 
“What're you thanking me for?” Kyo asked, looking away a little. When he glanced back, Yuki was smiling. Kyo returned the smile with a slightly awkward one of his own. Then he sighed. “Guess Shigure is next.”
 
Yuki laughed a little. “It'll be all right.”
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
“I'm home!” came Shigure's voice from the door. He walked in, holding a book.
 
“Welcome back!” Tohru and Ayame said simultaneously.
 
“Aaya! To think that you should be here waiting for little old me!” Shigure cried.
 
“Gure-san! You know that I could not be apart from you for long without yearning for your wonderful presence!”
 
“Aaya, I am touched! Never could I find another like you, were I to search the world!”
 
“Promise me we will never be like them,” Kyo muttered to Yuki under his breath, refusing to look at the two.
 
“Agreed,” Yuki murmured back, also refusing to look.
 
“Ah, but something smells delicious!” Shigure said. “What might that be?”
 
“It's a cake Ayame-san and I are making for Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun!” Tohru replied cheerfully.
 
“A cake? What for?”
 
“Ah, Gure-san!” Ayame said, “You would not believe what these two beautiful young men have just told me!”
 
“Aaya… can it be that they have finally confessed their love for each other?”
 
“Shut up!!” Kyo shouted, face burning. “It's not like that, okay?!”
 
“But you are sitting together—and getting along. That isn't like you, Kyo-kun. Ah! Can it be true that the clouds of hatred and rivalry that have hung over this house for years are beginning to dissipate? Are we to experience the bonds of brotherly love?”
 
Kyo was using every ounce of self control to keep himself from slamming Shigure through the roof. “In so many words,” he said through gritted teeth. He took a deep breath and sighed, calming himself. “Yuki and I are friends now.” It was easier the second time.
 
The book Shigure was holding fell to the floor. Kyo silently accused him of dropping it on purpose. “Really? You're friends? Did I hear you correctly?”
 
Kyo finally exploded. “Yes! We're friends! You got a problem with that or something?!” Out of the corner of his eye he saw Yuki beaming, but at the same time shaking with laughter. “Oh, shut up,” he growled.
 
“So Aaya is making a cake to celebrate?”
 
“Yes,” Yuki replied wearily.
 
“And of course, this is cause for celebration! My house will no longer be destroyed!”
 
Kyo slammed his forehead into his fist. Ayame and Tohru went into the kitchen to decorate the cake. Shigure stood over Kyo and Yuki, smiling in silence. He continued to stand there for several seconds. “Do you have something to say?!” yelled Kyo. Shigure demurely walked away, still smiling.
 
“No, nothing. I believe I shall help with the cake!”
 
Kyo put his head against the table. He heard Yuki laugh a little and felt his hand on his shoulders for a moment. “Don't worry. It'll all be downhill from here.”
 
“Yeah right,” Kyo grumbled, glancing up.
 
Yuki smiled. “Thank you.” Kyo relaxed a little, and smiled back. “And amazingly enough,” Yuki added, “you managed to say it without breaking anything.”
 
Kyo glared at him. “Watch it, you damn rat, or I'll break your neck to make up for it.”
 
“That might be interesting,” Yuki said, smiling.
 
Then Kyo froze. “Um… I didn't mean to call you that… sorry.”
 
“Hmm? Oh. Kyo, it's your tone that makes the difference, not the words. You weren't saying it like you actually see me as just the rat, someone you hate.”
 
“Oh. Okay.”
 
“Please don't get all guarded with me. I think I'll go crazy if you do. Just be honest. I like that about you.”
 
“That I'm honest?” Yuki nodded. “But how will I make sure you know whether I mean it or not?”
 
Yuki just laughed. “Don't worry. You're very easy to read.” He looked at Kyo thoughtfully. “That's why I knew you didn't really mean what you said to Uotani.”
 
“Then why did you ask?”
 
“I was trying to make a point,” Yuki said, “that the issue was embarrassment.”
 
“Oh.” He glanced down at the floor. “Hey Yuki, do you think… we could maybe just forget about that, and start over?”
 
Yuki looked at him quickly. “Oh… I'm sorry. Of course. I won't mention it again.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
There was a pause. “Can I tell Haru?” Yuki asked.
 
“Sure. Oh, and tell him thanks for me.”
 
“What?”
 
“He sort of… helped me realize that I was being an idiot.” He looked at the floor, blushing. “Hey, sometimes I need help with these things, okay?”
 
Yuki's eyes suddenly widened slightly. “Oh, so that's what he was doing!” He smiled gently. “I'll have to tell him thank you for me, too.”
 
“It's finished!” Tohru called cheerfully. She followed Ayame, who came out carrying an enormous, flamboyantly decorated cake. He put it on the table in front of Yuki and Kyo. Kyo cautiously read it:
 
Happy Beginning-of-Friendship Day, Yuki and Kyo!
 
Kyo stared at it, a bit relieved. It was pretty tame for Ayame, except for the rest of the decorations. He looked at Yuki, the question `do we have to eat it' obviously in his eyes. For answer, Yuki looked at a beaming Tohru. “Looks good,” Kyo said at last, managing a smile.
 
Tohru's smile became even brighter. “You like it? I'm so happy! Thank you so much!”
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Yuki stood in the hallway at school, looking out the window. Lunch would begin in a minute. He sighed a little. Yesterday had been exhausting in every way imaginable, and he still felt like his head was spinning. So he'd decided to disappear for a few minutes when class ended early. It was amazing how easily he could make himself invisible when he wanted to. Or when he didn't want to.
 
“Yuki!” Yuki jumped a little, and turned around. Kyo put a hand on his hip and raised an eyebrow. “What the hell are you doing all the way over here, you damn rat? Aren't you going to come and sit with me?”
 
Yuki stared for a moment, and suddenly smiled. He had a feeling it would be very difficult to become invisible from now on. “Of course,” he replied.
 
Kyo rolled his eyes. “Well come on, then! I'm hungry.”
 
Yuki laughed. “Okay.”
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
They sat together at lunch that day and the net. Kyo wasn't exactly ready to announce to everyone that he and Yuki were friends, and didn't really know how. But he acted like they were, and that seemed to be enough for Yuki. People began to notice, and give odd glances. After the second day, people began to ask if he was sick.
 
“Sheesh,” he responded, when Momiji asked him as he sat down at lunch. “Can't I be friends with Yuki without people thinking there's something wrong with me?”
 
“Kyo and Yuki are friends now?” Momiji asked loudly. “That's wonderful!”
 
“Would you keep it down, you crazy rabbit? You're attracting attention.”
 
“But this is like as amazing as the eclipse!”
 
Where did he get these analogies? “It's not that amazing. Yuki's cool. He's fun to hang out with.”
 
“Why, thank you,” Yuki said, coming behind him with Haru. He laughed. “I've never had anyone say I was fun to hang out with before.”
 
Kyo rolled his eyes and said nothing. But he smiled when Yuki sat next to him.
 
“Hmm, I guess it's true,” Haru said wistfully. “You really have become friends. I guess I should have known that you'd go and cheat on me someday, Yuki.”
 
“Eh?” asked Tohru, who had just come over.
 
Yuki gave him a look. “I'm going to hit you.”
 
“What?” Tohru asked, looking confused. “What happened?”
 
Haru laughed. “Oh, come on. It's not fair for Kyo to get all the teasing.”
 
“Or maybe I'll go with a kick to the jaw,” Yuki continued. “What do you think, Kyo?”
 
“I'll bet if we both go at him at the same time, we can knock him out pretty quick.”
 
“Um… Kyo-kun… Yuki-kun…”
 
“Yikes, now I'm scared,” Haru said, sitting at Yuki's other side. “But really, I'm happy for you. And hey, this means we can all hang out together.”
 
“Don't worry, Honda-san,” Yuki said to Tohru, who was looking very confused. “Haru's just being an idiot.”
 
“Ah… but… I think it's wonderful that we're all friends now! I'm so happy! Ah… and Kyo-kun is happy too, right?”
 
Kyo blushed a little, but smiled. “I'm happy.”
 
“Hey Hana, get this!” Uotoni called to Hanajima as she approached the Sohmas and Tohru. “Kyon is smiling! He looks so cute!”
 
“I thought that I sensed pleasant vibes from him today,” Hanajima said, sitting down. “From both Sohma Yuki and Sohma Kyo. Friendly vibes.”
 
“Yeah, like that'll ever happen,” Uotoni said, sitting down.
 
“Hey!” Kyo protested. “I can be friends with Yuki if I want to be! If you've got a problem, deal with it!”
 
This exclamation was met with a very blank stare from Uotoni. Then she looked at Yuki. “Who gave Kyon the personality transplant?”
 
“If you've got something to say to me, say it to my face!” shouted Kyo. “I don't have to keep hating him if I don't want to! And I don't want to! So there! And it's none of your damn business anyway!” He looked away, blushing furiously.
 
“Never mind about the personality transplant,” Uotoni said. “He'll never change.”
 
“Hey!”
 
Yuki was laughing. Kyo turned, and realized he had never seen Yuki look so genuinely happy.
 
“What are you laughing at?” Kyo grumbled, trying to hide his smile. From across Yuki he saw Haru give him a smile of what looked like approval. He rolled his eyes and looked away. Something about Haru's “please take care of my Yuki-kun” attitude was vaguely disturbing. Lunch continued with surprisingly little teasing. It was almost as though the entire table had wanted Yuki and Kyo to become friends, and therefore didn't feel the need to tease them about it.
 
Kyo was unusually quiet, though. Instead, he was listening. Listening to the others talk about things they were planning to do. He heard Yuki say “Kyo and I” several times, and even Uotani talked about them as a group. Somehow, Kyo had never felt so included.