Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ Strike Three ( Chapter 22 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket, because Natsuki Takaya, who does own Fruits Basket, isn't quite this mean to her characters.
 
A/N: I already had this chapter ready, so I decided to post it right away.
 
A/N 2: I know I said I was going primarily by the anime, but Akito is still a girl, and I'm not changing that. So Akito will be referred to as a female from the perspectives of people who know, and a male from the perspective of those who don't. Of course, from her perspective, she's obviously a girl.
 
 
CHAPTER 22: Strike Three
 
New Years rapidly approached. Kyo had gone to another one of Yuki's lessons since the first time. Yuki normally went by himself, but Kyo didn't begrudge him the time anymore, especially since Yuki was always more than willing to hang out with him at home. Now, however, neither of them was in a particularly good mood, and they had actually had a real fight earlier, for the first time in weeks. Yuki had picked it, and he apologized later.
 
“It's just Akito,” he said. “The thought of having to be… there…” He sighed. “I wish I wasn't allowed to come.”
 
Yuki had made an effort to convince Kyo that he was missing nothing good when he was excluded from the Juunishi banquet. Kyo believed him, but was still hurt just because he was left out. It had always been the principle that had bothered him. It wasn't like he wanted to be stuck in there with Akito. “We could try skipping again.”
 
“This time Akito specifically ordered us to go. And besides, I don't want to risk making Akito angry. Not when I actually have something to lose.”
 
“He wouldn't actually… make you stop, would he?”
 
Yuki sighed. “He'd do something.” He smiled a little. “I can bear it for a few hours.”
 
Kyo frowned. His cousin was always like this, always stopping short of saying something real. “Yuki-nii… why do you…” He stopped.
 
“Why do I what?”
 
“You never tell people things.”
 
Yuki shrugged. “There's nothing to talk about.”
 
Kyo paused. “Why are you so afraid of Akito?” Yuki turned to him sharply, his eyes dark. Kyo sighed. “Why do you hide like this?” he asked. Then he went to go help Shigure clean. Tohru was with her family this New Years, and the Sohmas were relieved that she wouldn't be alone. Soon they were off to the party.
 
The atmosphere between Yuki and Kyo was a little awkward. “Think I'll escape Kagura this time?” Kyo asked at last.
 
Yuki smiled a little, and the ice thawed. They chatted a little about things that didn't matter, until they reached the Main House.
 
“Hey, Kyo-nii…” Yuki said just before entering, “I'm sorry I've been… such a rat today.”
 
Kyo laughed. “Don't worry. I'm sure I've been just as much a cat.”
 
Yuki smiled, and they went in.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Akito watched as her Juunishi entered the exclusive banquet hall. She smiled at Yuki. He hadn't escaped this year. Yuki acknowledged her with a glance, then took a seat between Hatori and Hatsuharu. Once she had forced the Juunishi to sit in order, but now she wanted to be near Kureno, the only one who truly recognized that he was hers.
 
She saw Ayame come in, in his costume. It looked somehow more flamboyant than it was supposed to be, but she ignored it. Ayame spoke to Yuki, saying some sort of nonsense about how he couldn't sit with Yuki because his dance would take up all his time. Yuki looked exhausted.
 
Akito was curious about Yuki. She had a bond with the Juunishi that few of them understood, which allowed her to know their feelings. Yuki had been so happy lately. And not only happy—open. As though he were beginning to stretch himself towards freedom. She hated it. She felt threatened seeing Yuki try to find happiness without her, and she wanted to find its source. She watched him carefully. He seemed to be trying not to be aware of it.
 
The dance of the Snake began. Akito saw Kureno tapping his fingers on his knees. He was emulating playing the piano, like he so often did for Akito. Akito smiled. Then she looked away, back to Yuki, who was watching Ayame. Yuki had been tense the entire evening, and was especially so now, when it was just the Juunishi. At the party, he had talked to people more, and had actually been standing near Kyo. Odd. Odder still that he had been smiling at Kyo. Strange… Akito's gaze began to fall, but suddenly rested on Yuki's fingers. They were drumming on his thighs. Drumming in rhythm, completely unconsciously. Akito looked at Kureno's fingers, then back at Yuki's. She pressed her lips together. It seemed she had found the source of Yuki's newfound happiness.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Shigure's house had never been such a paradise. In some ways it was the same as always, but it seemed as though a dark cloud had been raised, and all that was left was a family that cared about each other. Yuki and Kyo were practically inseparable, and Kyo rarely seriously lost his temper anymore. Of course there were squabbles—they were, after all, the cat and the rat—but they were play squabbles, as though the entire thing was just a joke. The phrase “damn rat” didn't quite fade out of existence, but it was no longer seriously meant.
 
Kyo had been “working on” Yuki for several months now, and Yuki was beginning to be more outgoing. Kyo still always had a sense that he was hiding something, but didn't want to push too hard in that direction. After all, he also had secrets he didn't want anyone to know about. And already, Yuki was beginning to open up to him, like one afternoon when they were together, shoveling snow.
 
“Things seem a lot more normal around here lately,” Kyo commented to him. “It's kind of weird.”
 
Yuki laughed. “I guess in this family, it is pretty weird to be normal.” He smiled at Kyo, then looked away, still smiling. “It's nice, isn't it?” he asked. “To be in a home that no one wants to leave. I don't think I ever had that before… a place where I really want to be.”
 
“Somewhere where you don't have to hide?” Kyo asked, smiling a little.
 
Yuki looked up at him, then looked away. “Something like that.”
 
Then Tohru came out to help shovel, and the conversation ended and started up again on another topic. She was always so happy these days. It made things that much more rewarding for Kyo. He wanted her to be happy. Kyo sighed suddenly, and stood still, letting the snowflakes fall on his jacket and slowly melt. Would this truly be his last winter that he could be outside with the snow? With Yuki and Tohru?
 
“Kyo-nii?” Kyo turned, to see both Yuki and Tohru looking worriedly at him. Brother-Kyo. Would Yuki visit him?
 
Kyo blinked. “I'm okay. Ne, Yuki, I challenge you to a snowball fight!”
 
Yuki laughed. “Okay. I should warn you, though, you're playing with Prince Snow himself.”
 
“That's what you think! We'll see who's the prince of snow by the end of this!” The snowball fight lasted nearly twenty minutes, and after a while it calmed enough for Tohru to join. None of them could decide who won, since there wasn't really any standard to go by, so they just stopped once they had balled and thrown all of the snow on the walkway.
 
“Ne, Kyo, if you beat me at a snowball fight, or a card game or something, does that count as beating me?” Yuki asked as they went in.
 
“Sort of. But not completely.”
 
“Who's making these rules anyway?”
 
“It just has to be martial arts. That's all.”
 
“For what purpose?”
 
“That's…” Kyo broke off, and took his coat off, shaking it. “It's nothing.”
 
Yuki looked at him curiously for a minute, then shrugged. “And you say I hide?”
 
Kyo watched him walk away, considering. He sighed. If Yuki knew, Yuki would be too tempted to let him win. It had to be fair. “It's just…” Yuki stopped, and turned around. “It's just really important to me, okay?” Kyo said.
 
Yuki smiled. “Okay. I'm not upset or anything. I'm just going to my room to change.”
 
“Oh. Okay.”
 
“Are you okay, Kyo-kun?” Tohru asked, gathering up wet clothes.
 
“It's just… weird.”
 
“What is?”
 
Kyo thought for a minute, then shrugged and smiled. “Nothing important. Need any help with dinner?”
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Kureno didn't want to find Yuki. He had also seen Yuki's fingers at the banquet, but he didn't want to believe it was true. At the same time, though, if he didn't turn up something, Akito would know. Akito knew that he had hidden something the time before, and had pointed this out to him. She promised to forgive him if he came back with something this time. If not… and of course, being Akito, she had left the threat unsaid. Which was the scariest of all.
 
He checked the shop first, but there was no sign of Yuki. The shopkeeper said he hadn't been there in years. So far, so good. Kureno checked all of the places he could think of that had pianos, that were reasonably close to Shigure's house. He found an old temple that had a small, out of tune piano against one wall. Afraid of what he might find, he opened the bench. There were temple pieces at the top, but at the bottom were handwritten pieces. They weren't signed, but their titles were curious. Several were called after animals from the zodiac. But he couldn't be sure. He would have to check again. So he went the next day, a Wednesday. He heard music inside the temple, cheerful music. It was broken off, and someone laughed.
 
Kureno entered, and peered in at the door to the main area. Yuki was sitting at the piano, and Kyo was sitting nearby. They were chatting, and Yuki was playing at intervals. How strange, the cat and the rat being friends. And good friends too, by the look of it. Smiling at each other, teasing each other, playing or playing with the piano…
 
Kureno sighed. Why did he always have to be the instrument of destruction? “I told you I couldn't protect you again,” he whispered. Then he shook his head, and walked out, and back to Akito. She was waiting for him.
 
“Well?”
 
“You were right. He is playing.”
 
“Is there something else?”
 
“Something else?” Kureno asked, confused.
 
“You sound as though you're only telling me half.”
 
“What else do you want to know?”
 
“Tell me everything you saw when you saw Yuki playing. Leave nothing out.”
 
Kureno sighed. “Kyo was there too. They were talking, and Yuki was playing for him. That's all.”
 
“The cat?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“He was playing for the cat? That monster? He's befriended that vile beast?”
 
“Apparently.”
 
“Kureno, how long has he been playing? Tell me the truth!”
 
“I… I don't know, Akito-sama.”
 
Akito glared at him, wild-eyed. Then she suddenly relaxed. “Is he talented?” she asked.
 
Kureno paused, unsure what the answer was supposed to be.
 
“Is he?” Akito asked, more firmly. “You can tell me.”
 
“Yes, Akito-sama. He is very talented.”
 
“As talented as you?”
 
“More so, though perhaps not quite as advanced.”
 
“I see. I may be able to work something out for him, then. After all, a talent is a terrible thing to waste, wouldn't you agree?”
 
“Yes,” Kureno said, thinking agreement was probably his best tactic.
 
“But as for that… that cat… something must be done to free Yuki from his misunderstanding. Clearly, Yuki has forgotten just how vile the cat really is. He will need to be reminded.” She looked at Kureno. “Would you find out for me just how deep his misunderstanding goes? How close is he to that… that thing? Really, it disgusts me to imagine that my rat could possibly be so taken with the monster… perhaps there is some hold the monster has on him. Find out for me.”
 
“Yes, my lady.”
 
“And Kureno… don't hide anything. I get the feeling that you've been… interfering with my discipline of the other Juunishi lately. I hope you can remember that they are not your concern. I am your concern. And they will really all be happier if they merely submit to me. So please do not meddle in our relationships.”
 
“Yes.” Kureno walked out.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Yuki and Kyo were chatting on the front porch, after they had sparred. Yuki had won of course, but he was sensing the need to fight harder, and told Kyo so. Kyo, of course, was thrilled. Now Yuki paused, looking out at the snow. He and Kyo had needed to lay down a mat for their fight, which Shigure had gladly agreed to buy them when Kyo had said that the only other option was to fight indoors. It felt funny sparring in the snow. Yuki wondered if the snow was a handicap for Kyo. It was water, after all. But Kyo didn't seem to mind it. But then again, Kyo had agreed to a swimming race once for the sake of competing with him. Yuki smiled at the memory, and then at his cousin.
 
“Something wrong?” Kyo asked.
 
Yuki realized that he had broken off in mid sentence to stare into space. “No, nothing.” He laughed a little. “That's just it, Kyo-nii. Nothing's wrong.” He closed his eyes, and leaned back against his hands. “It's almost surreal. Like a dream.” His smile faded. “I just… keep getting this feeling like I'm going to wake up.”
 
Kyo put a hand on his shoulder. “If you're worried about me, don't. I'm never going to stop being your friend.”
 
Yuki smiled at him, feeling warmth spread over him in spite of the snow. “I know. I'm not worried about that.” He sighed a little. “It's just… in all that's happened before, doesn't it always seem like everything's going so well right before something really bad happens? I mean… it's like the calm before the storm.”
 
“Could it be that things really are just getting better?”
 
Yuki thought for a minute. “I suppose. And really… we're the ones who are making it happen. It's not like things are happening to us. But life never goes this well for our family. It's almost like it's not supposed to be this way.” He leaned forward again. “Like we're all trying to enjoy it while it lasts, and then…” He shrugged.
 
Kyo paused for a minute, and seemed to be struggling with something. But then he smiled. “You're so pessimistic. Cheer up! Life is good. And… even if it's true that all good things come to an end… if you're always thinking about the end, you can't enjoy the good things.” He put an arm around Yuki. “Don't be afraid to be happy, Yuki-nii.”
 
Yuki smiled at him, and looked away. In his experience, all good things did come to an end, quickly, painfully, and without warning. But then again… there wasn't any reason why his friendship with Kyo would end. Perhaps… perhaps that would be the one thing he could hold onto, in spite of everything else. Even when Kyo was confined… if he really was to be confined, if nothing could be done… Yuki could still visit him. Yuki would brave the Main House to see Kyo. He had done it for Haru. No, it wouldn't be the same, but… they could still talk, and maybe even spar now and then if it was possible to briefly let him out. Yuki would bring bentos, and they would eat together…
 
“Yuki-kun?” Shigure was at the door.
 
“Yes?” Yuki asked, startled from his thoughts. Kyo's arm dropped casually. Shigure still liked to tease them now and then, and he wasn't in the mood.
 
“You've been summoned to the Main House tomorrow afternoon,” Shigure said nonchalantly. “To see Akito. He is expecting you at two o'clock sharp.” He shut the door.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
A/N 3: My first cliff-hangar! Ah, but you'll have to wait longer for the next chapter, even if my beta Vert Fey tries to bully me into posting it right away. Please review, though! It might make me want to update faster. ;-)