Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ Spring, Fire, and the Prince of Snow ( Chapter 25 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket. I am only borrowing the characters from the illustrious Natsuki Takaya, who never ceases to amaze me with her wonderful manga.
 
A/N: Please tell me if you're having trouble keeping track of scenes and perspectives… I really am doing my best. I'm sorry it's confusing.
 
A/N 2: About the title: this is probably obvious, but Haru is Spring, Kyo is Fire, and Yuki is the Prince of Snow. I know; you probably already knew that, since you've seen it dozens of times in other fanfics. *Sigh. I feel so typical.
 
A/N 3: Please review! I miss hearing from my readers!
 
 
CHAPTER 25: Spring, Fire, and the Prince of Snow
 
Kyo pulled Haru aside after school the next day, quite literally. “I need to talk to you.”
 
“Could you be a little less violent about it?” Haru asked, straightening out his jacket.
 
“What's up?”
 
“What did I do?”
 
“I'm sorry?”
 
“What did I do to get Yuki mad at me? He won't even let me apologize, and he won't tell me what's wrong, and every time I ask him he either starts fighting with me or tells me to leave him alone, or walks away. So what did I do?”
 
Haru frowned. “He has been acting kind of weird around you lately, hasn't he?”
 
“So?”
 
“I don't know what you did. You haven't been doing anything differently. Maybe he's just in a bad mood or something.”
 
“It's been more than a week.”
 
“Well… I don't know what to tell you. As far as I can tell, you haven't done anything wrong. Just give him his space. Eventually he'll be all right.”
 
“But that's what I've been doing, and it's only getting worse.”
 
Haru thought for a minute. “Tell you what… I'll talk to him, okay?”
 
“You'd do that?”
 
“Sure thing. I'll ask him what's up, and see if it has anything to do with you. Then I'll let you know.”
 
Kyo breathed a sigh of relief. “Thanks, Haru.”
 
“No problem.”
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Yuki met Haru on his way out of student council. “Hi,” he said, smiling. “What are you doing here?”
 
“I wanted to walk you home,” Haru replied.
 
Yuki laughed a little. It felt good to laugh, to pretend for a moment that everything was fine. “You're so weird.”
 
Haru put an arm around his shoulders for a moment, then dropped it. “So what's going on with you and Kyo? You guys were like best friends up until a week ago.”
 
Yuki bit his lip. So much for pretending everything was fine. “I'd rather not talk about it,” he said at last.
 
“Come on, Yuki. I'm concerned. And he seems pretty worried too.”
 
Yuki was silent for a minute or two. He had to come up with some explanation that actually worked. One that he wouldn't have to change by this time next week. “Haru… it's just… I'm finding that he and I don't really have a lot in common, and he always wants to be with me, and I feel… crowded. I don't know. And then he's always trying to get me to do sports, and I really don't want to, and it's just exhausting. There are a lot of things I need to do, and he doesn't understand it. And I've tried telling him that… I just tend to get frustrated.”
 
“You've been fighting with him?”
 
“I just don't really want to hang out with him, and he keeps getting on my case about it.”
 
“Why don't you want to hang out with him?”
 
“Because I don't. It's none of your business. Like I said, we don't have much in common.”
 
“That never stopped you before. Up until just after New Years, you guys were inseparable.”
 
“I was trying to be friendly, and he carried it into this whole huge thing.”
 
Haru stared at him for a moment. “Yuki, you're not making a lot of sense.”
 
I know. “Just… I said I don't want to talk about it, okay?”
 
“Did he do something?”
 
“It's not really something specific. It's just that he's been irritating me lately.”
 
“What could he do to change things?”
 
“I don't know. And to be frank, I'm doing better in my studies now than I was last semester, and this is senior year, and I need to focus.”
 
“There are more important things than grades. And Kyo only has a little time left. I know no one wants to think about it, but it's true.”
 
Yuki felt like he had been stabbed. He hadn't even thought that far. Kyo had been counting on these last few months of friendship, and Yuki was taking them away now, so that he would go into confinement feeling utterly abandoned. Just like Akito to time things so perfectly. “Look, Haru, leave me alone.”
 
“Yuki, at least talk to him. Come on. He misses you.”
 
Yuki said nothing. Haru walked him to the mouth of the woods, and Yuki waved goodbye and walked on. He heard Haru sigh behind him, and pretended to ignore it.
Shut into his bedroom, Yuki thought over his conversation with Haru. Not how it made him feel, but what it had taught him about his goal. He realized now that conversations with anyone were dangerous, not just conversations with Kyo. He had no rationale. Nothing that made sense, anyways. He was essentially taking back everything he had sworn to three weeks ago. And everything people were saying to him was correct. He was the one lying. So his best method was to avoid talking to people entirely. Of course, he didn't have a rationale for this either.
 
“Yuki-kun,” said a voice at the door.
 
“Honda-san? Come in.”
 
She opened the door. “Dinner's ready.”
 
“Oh. Okay. Thank you.” Yuki put on his mask, and went downstairs.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
“Well?”
 
Haru looked at Kyo, wondering what to say. “I don't know.”
 
“You did talk to him?”
 
“Yes, but… it didn't make any sense. And then he told me to leave him alone, because he didn't want to talk about it. When he actually did give me an explanation, it was too weird…”
 
“But what did he say?”
 
Haru looked down. “It was weird.”
 
“Haru, tell me what he said.”
 
Haru sighed. “I don't know if he meant it. But he said that he… that he had just been trying to be friendly, and you had fleshed it out into a major friendship.”
 
“What? He was the one who…”
 
“I know. That's why it didn't make sense.”
 
“But wait a second… he still wants to be my friend, right?”
 
Haru pressed his lips together. “He didn't say.”
 
“What did he say?”
 
“That he didn't want to hang out with you.” Haru looked away from Kyo's hurt expression. “I don't know if he meant it, Kyo. There's something weird going on with him.”
 
Kyo looked down for a moment, then back up. “Why doesn't he want to hang out with me?”
 
“I asked. He said it was none of my business.”
 
“Anything else?”
 
“He wouldn't tell me how you could fix it. And then he started going off on how it was senior year and he had to focus on his studies.”
 
“So it's not that he doesn't like me? It's just that he has too much on his plate?”
 
Haru sighed. “That's what it sounded like. Maybe. I don't know. He was acting really off. I mean, Yuki normally doesn't give many answers, but he was reticent even for Yuki. A mystery.”
 
“Do you think he's depressed about something?”
 
“Maybe.” Haru smiled. “Well, if anyone can reach him, it's probably you. Give him his space, but make sure he knows that you're there if he needs you. He'll come around. He's probably just really stressed out this week or something.”
 
“Yeah.” Kyo smiled a little. “Yeah. That's probably it. Thanks, Haru.”
 
“No problem. Let me know how things work out.”
 
Kyo sat with Yuki at lunch that afternoon. He smiled at his cousin, but did not attempt conversation. Yuki seemed to be in a bad mood. Like he had been for the last week and a half.
 
“It looks like it won't rain today after all,” Kyo hazarded after a while. “They said there would be rain on TV this morning.”
 
Yuki sighed. “Good for you.” Then he rose with his plate and walked away.
 
Kyo was severely startled. He stood up as well. “What's with you?” he said angrily.
 
“I don't want to talk,” Yuki said.
 
Kyo stifled his anger with an effort as he watched Yuki walk away. He hadn't done anything. He hadn't even asked how Yuki was. “Damn rat,” he muttered under his breath. Why was Yuki being like this? And how much longer was Kyo going to have to put up with it?
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Yuki sat alone in the lunchroom. He couldn't stand to be with Kyo. Every time he was near Kyo, every time Kyo smiled at him, he wanted to come undone, confess the truth, hug Kyo, and go back to normal. He wanted to spar again. He wanted to laugh, and chat, and study with Kyo and Honda-san. He was sick of throwing himself into studying, and into books at the library when he had no longer had homework. Was it possible that Kyo could dissemble enough to fool Akito? Yuki looked across the cafeteria at Kyo, who was pretending to be carefree, chatting with people. But hurt, anger, and a little bit of worry were clear on his face. Kyo couldn't even pretend not to feel something, let alone pretend to feel something, namely hatred. Anyone could read him like a book. It was one of the things Yuki liked best about him.
 
Kyo caught Yuki's gaze for an instant, but Yuki turned away. Why don't you just hand him over to Akito, if this is how you're going to act? Yuki sighed. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Kyo, but I have to do this.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Yuki stood by his window, gazing out at the snow, watching it cover everything in a blanket of white. What if I were out there? I could just lie down… and it would cover me up… all of my feelings would freeze, and be covered in white, and I would never move again. Yuki shook his head, a little frightened at himself. I'm not that desperate. Besides, that wouldn't help Kyo. Unless Akito will leave him alone, if I'm dead.
Suddenly arms closed around Yuki's shoulders from behind. Yuki froze.
 
“Relax,” Kyo said. He dropped one arm and came around to see Yuki. He smiled. “You don't have to be so frigid, Prince Snow. It's okay to melt a little.”
 
I want to evaporate away. Yuki said nothing, silently calling on the strength to tell Kyo not to touch him. He couldn't remember ever wanting so badly to be hugged. All he had to do was turn a little, and put an arm around Kyo, and then all would be forgiven and forgotten, until… Yuki didn't move. He had already been too selfish.
 
“I miss you,” Kyo said. “You've been so distant lately.” He rubbed Yuki's shoulders. “It's okay if you don't want to tell me why, just as long—”
 
“Kyo…” You have to say it. “Kyo, don't touch me like that.” Don't let go. Yuki stepped away from Kyo. Kyo's arm dropped to his side.
 
“Then how can I touch you?”
 
“Don't.”
 
“Don't touch you?”
 
“I don't like to be touched.”
 
“Since when?”
 
“Since always. Ask Haru.”
 
“Before you let me hug you. You said it was okay.”
 
“Kyo, leave me alone.”
 
Kyo stood for a moment, looking hurt. “Yuki, what did I—”
 
“Just… go. Leave me alone. Please. I don't want to talk… to you.” I'm sorry.
 
Kyo pressed his lips together. “Then should I get Tohru?” he asked bitterly. “Or Haru?
 
Will you talk to them? Will you tell them what the hell is the matter with you? Will you tell them why you're pushing me away, when we've been friends for months?”
 
“Will you just go away?” Yuki shouted. “I don't want to talk to you, stupid cat. Leave me alone.”
 
“I don't get what's with you!”
 
“I just don't want to be with you right now, okay?”
 
“Yeah, well when will you?” Kyo yelled. “How can you just—”
 
“Go away!” Yuki yelled, shoving him. “Get out of my room!”
 
Kyo made to shove him back, and Yuki stopped him. Then suddenly they were fighting. Kyo probably would have been overjoyed, if Yuki hadn't been yelling at him, and if he hadn't been already angry. Within a minute and a half, Yuki had thrown Kyo against the wall, then had dragged him out of the room and shut the door.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Kyo sat against the wall outside Yuki's room, angry tears in his eyes. What had gone wrong? He had gone in to talk to Yuki, to find out what was wrong, to comfort him. And Yuki had fought with him and thrown him against the wall. And it wasn't even a real fight. It was just Yuki lashing out at him. Was it because he had lost his temper? Why did every encounter with Yuki either turn into an argument, or prompt Yuki to run away?
 
Things kept getting worse. It didn't make any sense to Kyo. He wasn't even doing anything. How could things possibly be getting worse on their own, and without a cause? On Wednesday, Yuki again said he was going to the library, and no, Kyo couldn't come. Kyo was angry now. He followed Yuki out of spite, and found to his shock that Yuki actually was going to the library. Then his shock turned to worry. Why wasn't Yuki practicing anymore?
 
Then things had gotten worse, because Yuki had caught him, and they had had their worst fight in months. Long afterwards, Kyo had attempted to apologize, and Yuki had just glared at him. Kyo couldn't believe he was so stupid. Now Yuki had even more ammunition to use against him. But that was ridiculous, wasn't it? Yuki couldn't possibly be looking for ammunition to use against Kyo, could he? Yuki wasn't like that. Kyo was, but Yuki wasn't.
 
At school on Friday, after a frigid, hostile Thursday, Haru had taken them both aside. Kyo apologized to Yuki, and Yuki… Yuki said “This is stupid,” and walked away.
“It's not about whatever you did,” Haru said. “There's something else. What did you do anyway?”
 
“I can't really tell you. It would get into other stuff.” Kyo sighed. “Damn it. What am I going to do now? He wouldn't even let me talk to him when I hadn't done something wrong.”
 
“Why don't you write him a letter?” Haru suggested.
 
“I suck at writing.” Kyo sighed again. “But I guess it's the best I can do. He might read it.”
 
“Just make it short, simple, and to the point. Tell him you miss him, and that you love him…”
 
Kyo gave him a look. “That I love him?”
 
“Well, say it however you want to say it. You know how to get to his heart.”
 
“I thought I did. Now I'm not so sure.”
 
“A letter is good, though. It's non-intrusive, and can be read at his leisure.”
 
“Okay. I'll try it.”
 
Kyo decided to try something else first. He asked Tohru if she would talk to Yuki. She happily agreed. Kyo went to the roof, so that they would be alone.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
“Yuki-kun?” Tohru asked nervously. She had readily agreed to help Kyo. She wanted to do something to try to heal the rift between her friends.
 
“Hello, Honda-san. Do you need something?”
 
“Um… actually… I was wondering what's going on between you and Kyo-kun. It's not like you. I'm sorry… I don't mean to pry, but… you were so close before.”
 
Yuki sighed. “I'm sorry for worrying you, Honda-san. But I really can't explain it. It's complicated, and it's between me and Kyo. It doesn't have anything to do with you, though, so don't worry.”
 
Tohru hesitated. She sighed. “Yes,” she said at last. Then she left the room, and climbed to the roof. She shook her head.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
That evening, Kyo got out a piece of paper and wrote.
 
Dear Yuki,
 
I'm really sorry I followed you the other day. I did it because I was worried about you. Well, no, at first it was because I was upset and I wanted to chase after you and talk to you, and I'm sorry about that. But now I'm worried, because I thought the library thing was just a cover up for pl you-know-what, but if you're not going there anymore, I don't know what to think. It's weird that you're not acting like yourself. And you were already upset at me before I followed you, so it can't be just because of that. So I have just a couple questions that I wish you'd answer at some point.
 
What went wrong?
Is it my fault?
Can I put it right?
If so, how?
If not, can you please stop taking it out on me?
 
I really miss you, Yuki, and I don't get what's wrong with you. I want to be friends again, and spar with you and stuff. Okay? I want to make things all right between us. So please talk to me, or at least write me back. Thanks.
 
Your friend (right?),
Kyo
 
Kyo took the letter, folded it, put it in an envelope, and slipped it under Yuki's closed door. He crossed his fingers, and hoped for the best.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Yuki heard Kyo's footsteps outside his door. Please don't come in. Then he saw something white slip under his door. A white envelope. Then Kyo walked away. Yuki remained seated until he heard Kyo's footsteps reach the bottom of the stairs. Then he got up and retrieved the note. It had “To Yuki. Please read!” written on it, in Kyo's handwriting. Yuki sat back down at his desk, and held the letter in his hands for what seemed like an eternity. He knew it was an apology. He knew Kyo was asking how he could fix whatever was wrong, like he had been trying to do for the last two weeks. Why is he so stubborn? I thought he would have given up by now.
 
Kyo had never written him a letter before. Kyo never wrote letters at all. That he cared enough to write a letter… Stop it. Yuki set the letter on his desk. Then he picked it up again. Stop it. Get rid of it. How could he get rid of Kyo? That's your goal, isn't it? Think of how he'll feel if he sees the letter in the trash, unopened. It would be perfect. Yuki leaned his forehead against his palm. He tried to swallow. Don't you dare cry. You know it would be perfect. You know you have to do this. The sooner you do it, the sooner you'll be able to stop dealing with it.
 
Yuki took the letter and walked over to the garbage can. He held the envelope suspended above it for a minute. Then he set his jaw. I hereby throw this friendship in the trash. The letter fell.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
There had been no response. Kyo waited for two days, and there was no response. During those two days, he had avoided Yuki as much as possible. Whenever they had encountered each other, there had been an argument. Just like before. The thought frightened Kyo. But then he reasoned that it had only been two weeks. Maybe two weeks and a day and a half. But not long enough to cause a lasting change. Then it happened.
 
Yuki was out, working in his garden even though it was winter. Kyo couldn't help wondering what it was that he did out there. Was he clearing it of leaves, or shoveling off the snow? He couldn't possibly be growing anything. Kyo was doing his homework, and he went into Yuki's room to borrow a pencil. On the way out, something caught his eye. Something in his handwriting, in the trash. An unopened envelope. A slap in the face. Excruciating. Kyo felt like he had been set on fire.
 
He ran out, clutching the envelope in his hand. He found Yuki calmly clearing leaves away from his garden. “You didn't even read it?!” he screamed.
 
Yuki looked at him, with a face that betrayed no emotion. Kyo let fly, but Yuki was too fast for him. They fought for several minutes, the fight lasting longer than usual because Kyo kept restarting the fight after Yuki had beat him. By the time it was over, Kyo was more bruised than he ever remembered being, and he hadn't even managed to land a punch. Yuki sighed.
 
“Look what you did to the garden, stupid cat,” he said. “You uprooted at least two bulbs.”
 
Kyo didn't have the strength to yell. He only looked at Yuki. He struggled to his feet. “You sound like Akito,” he said. Then he walked away.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
“So be it,” Yuki whispered once Kyo was out of earshot. He had thrown his feelings away with the letter. He was frozen now. He was snow.