Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ Bittersweet Farewell ( Chapter 50 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: I should mention, I really like canon pairings, and yes, I do like Shigure x Akito, but I only hint at it in this chapter, and don't really go into it. Also, I don't hate Akito, as you can probably also tell from this chapter.
 
A/N 2: For all I like the Canon, this chapter probably has the biggest departure from it, so please don't get mad.
 
 
CHAPTER 50: Bittersweet Farewell
 
“Come on, you damn rat. Wake up.” Kyo shook Yuki's shoulder. “It's already eight-thirty.”
 
“Go away, stupid cat,” Yuki murmured, starting to come to. “I don't want to spar this early.”
 
“Get up, Yuki. We need to go see Akito. About our gifts. Remember?”
 
Kyo could almost see the words register in Yuki's mind. Akito. Gifts. “Oh,” the rat murmured. He closed his eyes wistfully for another moment, then pushed himself up. “Thanks for waking me.”
 
“Well I figure you want to be awake when you go see him, not sleepwalking like you are half the time during homeroom.”
 
“I'm awake by the time we get to school,” Yuki said defensively, stumbling to his feet and grabbing an annoyed Kyo's shoulder for support. “Is Honda-san awake?”
 
“Yeah, and she's making breakfast. So hurry up if you don't want it to be cold.” Kyo left the room and went downstairs. He smiled at Tohru, then sat down at the kotatsu. He wondered absently what Yuki had wished for. It was obviously something extremely important to him. Kyo hoped for his sake that it came true. And about the piano… that would just be awesome. Especially since Yuki wouldn't have to hide anymore if Akito said it was okay. At the same time, though, some slightly possessive part of Kyo hoped that Yuki would still sometimes play just for him. Just occasionally.
 
“Morning,” Yuki said sleepily as he came downstairs.
 
“Good morning, Yuki-kun!” Tohru said cheerfully. “Would you like umeboshi or roe in your onigiri?”
 
“You're making both? Umeboshi, please.” Yuki sat at the table. He was unusually dressed up.
 
“Are we supposed to be all done up when we go?” Kyo asked.
 
“It'd make a good impression. After all, we're going with the potential of receiving a gift, from the head of the family. It wouldn't hurt to be a bit formal.
 
Kyo ruefully looked down at his casual attire, and rolled his eyes. “You saying something, rat?”
 
“Come on, Kyo, at least wear your school uniform.”
 
Kyo grumbled under his breath. He hated dressing up, especially for Akito. “Fine.”
 
“With the tie.”
 
“I'm a cat. I don't do ties or collars.”
 
Yuki raised an eyebrow. “Then wear a kimono or something.”
 
“I don't have any.”
 
“You could borrow something of mine.”
 
Kyo bristled. Much as he liked the rat, he wouldn't be caught dead in his clothing. He tried to think over his wardrobe. Surely he had something dressy. But then again, when would he have needed dress clothes? He never went to the Sohma ceremonies, because the cat wasn't allowed to attend. Wait a second, didn't he have something from his Shishou? He hadn't worn it in forever, but… “I'll manage,” he grumbled, then went upstairs. He went through his closet shelf and at last found his box with his dojo ceremonial outfit. Neatly folded, of course. Shishou would have it no other way.
 
Kyo put it on, feeling slightly embarrassed, leaving the jacket half undone. At last he went downstairs. Tohru was setting out breakfast.
 
“Ah, Kyo-kun! That's the first time I've seen you so dressed up. It looks very handsome on you!”
 
Kyo's face turned redder then his hair. “I… who would… what…” he stammered. “Just don't think I'm going to dress up like this all the time,” he stormed at last, sitting down. Yuki snickered. “What are you laughing at, you damn rat?!” Kyo snapped.
 
“Um… I'm sorry,” Tohru said, uncertainly.
 
Kyo put his forehead in his hand. “It's fine.
 
“Anyway, breakfast is ready!” She smiled cheerfully as she sat down with the boys. They ate quickly, and soon were on their way. Both were slightly tense—Yuki with anticipation, and Kyo at having to wear something so… prim.
 
“You nervous?” Yuki asked.
 
“Not really. You?”
 
“I don't know.” They approached the gate and Yuki put his hand on it. “Well, here goes nothing.” They went in.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Hatori let the boys into his house. “Tea?” he offered.
 
“No thank you,” Yuki said. “Is Shigure still asleep?”
 
“No, but… I am to accompany you to Akito's today.”
 
Yuki felt a twinge of worry. “Did something… happen to Shigure?”
 
Hatori sighed. “Let's just say… the conversation last night at dinner didn't go very well…”
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: Flip back to the previous night.
 
Hatori sat at the end of the kotatsu, and Shigure sat adjacent to Akito. She was being unusually quiet. Hatori knew better than to ask how the meeting with Yuki and Kyo had gone. However it had gone, Akito couldn't be happy about it. He wondered why he and Shigure were here. Akito had said something about wanting advice, which was a shock in and of itself.
 
About halfway through dinner, Akito set down her chopsticks. “Yuki asked me to let that cat remain out for another year. The cat asked me to give Yuki back the piano.”
 
“What piano?” Shigure asked.
 
“He played the piano. I had forbidden it. That was why I punished him.”
 
“Ah. Well, those sound like perfectly reasonable requests to me,” Shigure commented. Hatori bristled. Shigure was being very forthright. Almost unusually so, even for him.
 
“Who asked you?” Akito snapped.
 
“Um… you did,” Shigure said, smirking. Smirking?
 
What happened next was a blur. The teapot was thrown, and Shigure dodged. But the teacup followed and hit him, followed by a wineglass, a set of chopsticks and… by the time Hatori had gotten to her, Akito's rampage was such that she had thrown everything within reach, including the knife beside her plate. Shigure had been shielding himself with his hands, and dodging, but not crying out, even when the knife stabbed his shoulder.
 
Akito froze at this, her eyes wide. “Shigure, are you okay?”
 
Hatori had been about to grab her and pull her back, but it was obvious he no longer needed to. He felt sick, seeing the blood on the floor and Shigure's arm. Odd. He had never felt sick at the sight of blood before. He was a doctor, after all.
 
“Really got me there, didn't you?” Shigure said, slightly faintly. He gingerly reached up and touched the knife handle. “Haa-san, do you suppose you could help me with this?”
 
Hours later, there were bandages on Shigure's face, neck, and shoulder, and a sling on his arm. The knife had cut a nerve, and it would be a while before he regained complete use of his left hand.
 
“That was stupid, Shigure,” Hatori said. He was highly suspicious that Shigure had done this on purpose. To allow Akito to release her anger, and not hurt others, namely Yuki and Kyo.
 
“Hem, well, I suppose you're right,” Shigure said ruefully, wincing as Hatori stitched a gash on his jaw.
 
“Hold still,” was all Hatori said.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: Back to present. -_-'
 
“No,” Hatori repeated, putting a hand to his forehead. “It didn't go well at all.” He sighed, looking at the boys' worried faces. At least Akito had spoken with Shigure afterwards, and was still to shaken about the knife to get angry again. She had actually been somewhat agreeable.
 
“Can we see him?” Yuki asked.
 
“If you'd like,” he replied. He led them into another room, where Shigure was sitting and reading. Yuki jumped, and Kyo cringed back.
 
“Shigure, what happened?” Yuki asked.
 
“Ah, well, I got into a bit of a disagreement with someone. Nothing to worry your pretty little head over, Yuki-kun.”
 
“Did Akito do this?” Kyo asked darkly.
 
Hatori looked away. Shigure smiled slightly, a sad smile. “Akito has things he needs to work out as well,” he said quietly. “There's nothing you need to worry about, though. Have some tea, then go and see him.”
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Akito lay by the window as Yuki and the cat entered and knelt. She didn't want to face them now. Not after all that had happened. So she lay still for a long time, gazing out the window at the birds, trying to summon the strength to at least act as the head of the family, if they would no longer see her as god.
 
“Come and sit with me, Yuki,” she said softly. She heard someone rise to his feet, and walk her way. She felt the cat's tension increase as Yuki neared her and knelt beside her. She looked up at him, and he met her eyes. She reached up over her shoulder and stroked his cheek and hair. He didn't move. But he didn't respond either. Meanwhile, the cat practically had his fur standing on end. It would have been amusing, if Akito had had the energy to smirk.
 
“You may sit, Yuki. You needn't be so formal with me.” Yuki sighed, and sat, albeit somewhat reluctantly. Akito closed her eyes. It felt good, having Yuki near her. And he wasn't yelling at her or anything. It was almost soothing. She sat up, and gently wrapped her arms around her rat. Yuki didn't stiffen. He seemed confused. He had looked unusually thoughtful when he had entered the room, and his expression hadn't changed. She felt his hand reach behind her and tentatively touch her shoulder—the most affectionate he'd ever been with her. He looked like he was trying to understand something.
 
The cat was almost shaking now. He had been tense before, but now it seemed that he was using every ounce of self-control to hold his position. Akito enjoyed seeing the cat squirm. But she was only half paying attention to him. She was more focused on the strange expression on Yuki's face, and the hand on her shoulder. She was now leaning into him, for some reason desperate for his touch. Desperate to have something.
 
Yuki seemed tense, but at the same time relaxed. He seemed distant, like he had mentally removed himself from the situation, and yet somehow he was still here. He said nothing. Akito was confused. This was the first time in her life that she was not aware of what Yuki was thinking. She wasn't even sure what he was trying to understand. But he was calm in her presence… strange, but somehow nice.
 
“You want to sit with the cat, don't you?” she asked presently, too softly for it to hear. Yuki didn't reply. He had tensed a little at her words, but still hadn't pulled away. Was he scared to? Then his lips parted slightly, and his eyes widened, as though something was becoming clear in his mind. “Well, do you?” she asked again.
 
“Can he sit here?” Yuki asked, so softly she barely heard him. He wasn't trying to get away? He didn't like her touching him. That much she knew. But something was holding him here, at least for this moment.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
“The rat has given you permission to move closer,” Akito said to Kyo. Kyo sighed with relief and came nearer. He wasn't sure how close was too close. He decided to sit just close enough that if Akito started hurting Yuki, he could stop him right away. He didn't understand what was going on. Why on earth was Yuki touching Akito's shoulder? He understood why Yuki wasn't pulling away, but…
 
And what was he thinking? There was something on Yuki's face, something Kyo had only seen a very, very few times. It wasn't pity, or even compassion. It wasn't quite confusion, though that was part of it. Slightly confused, slightly troubled… like he was trying to figure out a difficult puzzle. When had Kyo seen it? He felt like it should be familiar. What had it been about? Kyo racked his brain, trying to remember. He had seen this face from the side. Yuki had been doing something… something with his fingers… playing the piano? It clicked. “Do you… feel rejected?” Kyo shivered a little. It was exactly the same expression. The expression that said, “Why do you act the way you do?”
 
Yuki was trying to understand Akito? Was it even possible to understand Akito? And why on earth did Yuki care? What had brought this on? Kyo wanted to say something—wanted to break the silence. Wanted to get Yuki out of Akito's grasp. But at the same time, he got the impression—disturbing as it seemed—that Yuki was not completely unwilling to let Akito embrace him. Yuki clearly did not want to be touched, but he wasn't trying to pull away. He wasn't even stiff.
 
“Do you hate me, Yuki?” came Akito's soft voice.
 
Yuki was silent for a moment. Kyo thought it might be because Yuki was trying to figure out which answer was “correct.” But it seemed to go deeper, almost like Yuki was trying to figure out the answer to this question for himself. “I don't know,” the rat said at last, quietly. “I thought I did. But…” he stopped, looking confused. Suddenly something seemed to come together in his mind. His eyes widened for a moment, and then his face changed, somehow. It was as though he had removed yet another mask.
 
“I'm angry,” Yuki whispered. “I'm angry at you… for what you've done… to me and everyone else. There have been times… when I was so angry, I wished you would die.” His voice was almost hissing. “I hate the way you've acted. I hate it that… that you even hurt the people who try to help you, like Hatori and Shigure. And yet… and yet…” His voice had trailed into a whisper. Kyo was tense as a bowstring. What was Yuki saying? “And yet… they care about you,” Yuki continued, his voice cracking ever-so-slightly. “Something about you… makes them care. I… I don't understand… but… maybe… maybe I do, just a little… enough, so… I don't know if I hate you.”
 
Akito's eyes widened slightly, perhaps at this unaccustomed honesty. Kyo was shocked. Yuki didn't hate Akito? Or at least, wasn't sure if he did? What was going on in Yuki's head? Akito seemed to be as much in the dark as he was. Kyo stole a glance at Hatori, and was startled to see that Hatori seemed to understand completely. Kyo gave him a questioning glance. Hatori just looked at him, an unreadable expression on his face.
 
Then the moment was gone. Akito sat up, and Yuki dropped his hand. There was a flash of relief in Yuki's eyes, but at the same time… disappointment? As though he had hoped something would happen that hadn't. Or was it regret? No, not regret. Wistfulness, perhaps. Something bittersweet.
 
Akito stood, and looked out the window. “Amazing,” he said softly. “I give each of you a gift, and you choose to give it to the other.”
 
Kyo blinked, and looked at Yuki, who was looking back at him, startled. Akito sighed. Kyo shivered at how much Akito looked like Yuki had looked, when Yuki had been sick. Because Yuki had been sure he had lost Kyo. Now Kyo felt confused. What had Akito lost?
 
“Cat, your wish is granted. Yuki, you can to do what you like with regards to the piano.”
 
Yuki's eyes widened, and his face suddenly broke into a smile that lit up his entire face. “Really?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Kyo was smiling from ear to ear. He felt that there was something he was supposed to say.
 
“Thank you.”
 
He frowned. Yuki had said it for him. So he repeated it. He looked at Yuki, and was thrilled to see Yuki's face light and relight as what Akito had said sank in. Then he quieted himself and looked up at Akito in anticipation. Kyo wondered what Yuki's wish had been… Yuki's wish for him.
 
Akito was quiet for a long moment. He sighed heavily. “Yuki, your wish is also granted. The cat will be allowed to remain on the outside for another year.”
 
Yuki had been on his knees, and now his eyes widened, and he slumped weakly. His lip trembled, and he bit it to make it stop as his face became happier than Kyo had ever seen it. Then it registered just what Yuki's granted wish had been. Kyo was allowed to be out for another whole year? That was perfect! That way he could know if it would work, and… and have another year with Yuki and Tohru, and maybe…
 
“Thank you,” Yuki was whispering. “Thank you so much.”
 
“Thank you,” Kyo repeated quietly. This was a big deal, Akito defying tradition for Yuki, and by extension for him.
 
Akito nodded. “Go home, both of you.”
 
Kyo rose to his feet, hugging Yuki tightly in the process. Yuki seemed to be trying to hold back his own emotions. There was a moist sheen over his eyes as he hugged Kyo back. Now Hatori was on his feet as well, and the boys stepped over to him. Then Yuki stopped, and looked back. He had an unresolved look on his face. Then he made a decision. It was obvious from his features. He placed a hand on Kyo's shoulder.
 
“Please don't get mad at me,” he said, softly enough that only Kyo heard, “but there's something I need to do.”
 
Kyo blinked in confusion as Yuki dropped his hand and went back to kneel before Akito. Presently, Akito turned around.
 
“Yuki?” He didn't sound angry.
 
“Akito… I… I wanted to thank you again… so much… for letting Kyo be free. That's… that's a big thing, so… I wanted to… to do something. To thank you.” He glanced out of the corner of his eye at Kyo, and Kyo wondered why on earth Yuki seemed more nervous about his reaction than Akito's. In between wondering what the hell Yuki was doing, of course.
 
“How?” Akito asked, looking genuinely curious.
 
“I… I'm out of practice, because I haven't played since you told me to stop the last time, but… but I think I still have it, and… I'd like to play for you… just this once.”
 
So that was why he was nervous about Kyo's reaction. Kyo felt a surge of confusion and annoyance, as he stifled anger. What the hell was that damn rat doing? Playing for Akito? That had been just what Yuki had been trying to avoid! His mind whirled as he waited to hear Akito's reaction.
 
“Only for me?” Akito asked.
 
“Yes,” Yuki replied. “Just this once.”
 
Akito would be the first to hear Yuki play, after all this? Now Kyo felt an almost insane surge of jealous rage. He had gotten the piano back for Yuki! He glared at Yuki. Yuki winced under the glare he obviously felt, but refused to turn around.
 
“I'd like that,” Akito said softly. Kyo wanted to scream.
 
Yuki began to follow Akito, then glanced at Kyo out of the corner of his eye. He winced again, like he dreaded what was coming later. Then he disappeared with Akito.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Kureno had not exaggerated. Yuki was extremely talented. His music was like a waterfall, and extremely expressive. It conveyed a sense of loss, or of never having had. Like a bittersweet ending of a story, that didn't work out nearly the way anyone wanted. At the same time, though, laced through the song was a sense of hope for a new story… that the old story could never be fixed, but a new one could begin. Akito found herself thinking for some reason of Shigure. Shigure who would probably never forgive her after she had hurt him so badly. And yet… when she had talked to him later, he hadn't seemed angry. Not terribly so. Just sad. Was it possible…?
 
Akito managed a smirk at the cat when she and Yuki returned to the Main Room. It had its desired effect. This, at least, was something she and only she had from Yuki. She would hold onto it for the rest of her life.
 
She watched Yuki walk out beside a glaring cat. But the cat would not glare for long… it couldn't hold a grudge against Yuki anymore. They would be friends forever. Yuki was happy now, and she had made him that way, by giving him the cat. She had made Yuki happy. Be happy. For at least a little while. Be happy for me.