Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ For Someone Else ( Chapter 49 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket, because Akito would never be this nice in Fruits basket before she has her big change of heart. But oh well. Natsuki Takaya owns Furuba. Arigatou-gozaimasu authoress-sama!
 
A/N: Yes, I know I'm pushing it, making Akito so agreeable. I try to remedy that in the next chapter. Just a few more after this. Again, please let me know if you want more.
 
A/N 2: Sorry this one's pretty much all dialogue. I tend to get carried away with that…
 
 
CHAPTER 49: For Someone Else
 
“Akito-san? I've brought them,” Shigure said, interrupting Akito's reverie. She did not turn. She heard footsteps, heard three people get down on their knees. She always recognized this sound. At last, she turned. She smiled slightly, to herself. Both Yuki and the cat had their heads bowed. The monster's eyes met hers through its hair. But Yuki's eyes did not. Yuki looked at the floor.
 
“I see that one of you, at least, has the correct attitude,” Akito said, approaching them. The monster tensed, apparently ready to get between her and Yuki should she decide to strike. “I'm pleased,” she continued, “to see, Yuki, that you still know who you are. It was really pathetic, the way you let the cat try to protect you. I'm glad to see you realize that, and that you are ashamed to have become so weak that you've begun to think of him as a friend.”
 
Yuki's eyes widened, as though he realized something. He began to shake, but he turned his face toward hers. “I am not ashamed to be Kyo's friend,” he said firmly. He did not look back down.
 
“But you are ashamed, are you not, that the cat is protecting you?” Akito asked smoothly. “After all, you couldn't protect him.” She smirked as Yuki looked away. She saw the cat's claws clench into fists. Pathetic. It didn't attack her, though. It looked at Yuki, and glanced at the scar. Then it looked at Akito, eyes like fire. Eyes that clearly said, “You are not going to do that again.” Watch me, Akito thought, smirking again.
 
“So weak,” Akito said. “You're so pathetic that you need this monster to make you happy.”
 
“Kyo isn't a monster!” Yuki said firmly, looking at her again. Now his eyes were hard.
 
“Fine. The cat.”
 
Yuki's eyes widened, and Akito realized too late that she had made a terrible mistake. Since when did she agree with Yuki? He rose to his feet. “So what?” he said. He wasn't yelling, and he was shaking violently, but he stood. “I'm not ashamed that I want Kyo to be my friend. I'm not even ashamed that he protected me. I'm ashamed that I'm nowhere near as good a friend as he is, but that's not going to stop me from trying. And neither are you.”
 
Akito slapped, but her hand did not hit Yuki's cheek. It hit the cat's palm. The cat, who had stood while she was focusing on Yuki.
 
“You monster!” Akito hissed, pushing the cat onto the floor. She'd only managed to land one punch before she felt arms holding her back. Yuki's arms. And he was really holding her back, not only using part of his strength so he wouldn't hurt her. The cat had got to his feet.
 
“You want to get it on?” the monster asked. “If you want to fight, face me like a man!”
 
Akito smirked. “As if someone like you could ever be considered a man,” she spat. “A monster that killed his own mother?” She saw a wavering in the cat's eyes, but it was brief. Far too brief. Her insult had grazed him, but it was a superficial wound at best. She shuddered with rage, and attempted to throw Yuki off. Yuki held on tightly. Then Shigure coughed, meaning Akito was getting slightly sidetracked. She relaxed, and regained her composure.
 
“Let go of me, rodent,” Akito said. Yuki hesitantly released her and she walked back to the front of the room, and stood there with her back turned. When she looked back, she saw that Yuki and the cat were still standing. Yuki was still trembling slightly, but his eyes refused to touch the ground. They met hers. She looked away again. She felt herself slump. The harder she pulled, the less effect her pull had. Why? She sighed. It was pointless. She had already lost him. She felt her eyes moisten, and blinked them furiously.
 
She had been rejected. She, who was born to be loved, had been rejected by the one who was supposed to love her most—the one who was supposed to be her constant companion. And for what? A monster? The injustice of it made Akito's mind whirl. The injustice and… the pain? Yes, the pain. It hurt. Akito clenched her fists. So even she had become weak.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
“Be friends,” Akito said softly. “You can be friends. I don't care anymore.” Yuki was startled. Akito's voice sounded… pained. He had never heard him sound like that before. Then what he had said kicked in.
 
“We… can?”
 
“There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to stop you, so I might as well stop trying.”
 
Yuki stared. Akito, admitting defeat? He didn't even feel like he'd won. “Um… thank you,” he said, feeling slightly dazed.
 
“What's the catch?” asked Kyo.
 
Yuki felt stupid. I would have gotten to that. Sooner or later.
 
Akito smirked as he turned around. Yuki slumped, but still refused to look at the floor. “The catch is that you each need to choose a graduation gift,” Akito said.
 
Kyo blinked. “What?”
 
“What are the choices?” asked Yuki, who was more familiar with these games.
 
“Those are entirely up to you,” Akito replied. “My conditions are these—you only may ask for one gift each, so choose wisely. The gift is irrevocable, unless I decide you may return it. And it has to be something reasonable. You will each be asked separately, and neither of you is allowed to tell the other what his wish was unless it is granted. You will tell me your choices today, and I will tell you my replies tomorrow, at which time you will come back. If I decide not to give you your chosen gift, you will not be allowed to chose another, so, as I said, keep in mind it must be reasonable. And you cannot ask me to remove something, like to remove my attention from Yuki. Is this clear?”
 
“We each get to ask for one gift,” Kyo recapped.
 
“It has to be reasonable, and our decision is final once we give it to you?” Yuki asked.
 
“Exactly,” Akito replied. He seemed to enjoy watching Yuki and Kyo squirm.
 
“And we shouldn't ask for something that might go wrong,” Kyo interpreted. “Because we can't return it.”
 
“Quite so.”
 
“And you might decide not to give it to us if you decide our request is unreasonable,” Yuki finished. He exchanged glances with Kyo. Resigned eyes met.
 
“So why do you really want to know?” Kyo asked. “So that you can have a hold on us?”
 
“If you're rude, I'll be less likely to give you what you ask for,” Akito replied. “I promise you, nothing you ask me for is going to particularly surprise me.”
 
“Define reasonable,” Yuki said, in much the same tone Shigure had used the day before, if only he'd known.
 
“I assure you, my dear Yuki, that there is a chance you will receive your wish. If it makes you feel better, I plan on having Shigure and Hatori advise me as to whether they believe your requests are reasonable.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“Really?”
 
Both boys turned to Shigure, who was sitting behind them. He looked surprised at this revelation, but shrugged, as if to say to Akito, “I'm at your service.”
 
“So,” Akito said. “Shall we begin? Yuki, you first.”
 
“Hey wait,” Kyo said. “You mean you're going to be alone with him?”
 
“Do you have a problem with that, cat?”
 
“Kyo, it's okay,” Yuki said, smiling a little. “I'll be okay.”
 
“Just don't take too long deciding,” Kyo said. “And if he hurts one hair on your head…” He left the threat unsaid, and merely glared levelly at Akito, who smirked at him before putting his hand on Yuki's shoulder and leaving the room with him.
 
Once in a private room, Yuki knelt before Akito, but not in the dejected position he had been in at first. He felt somewhat confident. Akito sat down by the window, waiting.
 
I want him to be free. “Can it be for someone else?”
 
Akito paused. “He gets a wish too, you know.”
 
“But this isn't something he would ask for.”
 
“You may do what you like. It's your gift.”
 
It has to be reasonable. That's… probably not reasonable. Also, I want it to be Kyo's choice, not mine. I don't want to force it on him. Wait, what was… more time! That's it! How much time is reasonable? Six months? A year? A year is reasonable, isn't it? He licked his lips, nervously. This wasn't something Kyo would think of. Kyo had a very “all or nothing” mindset. But if he got a year of grace, during which time he might see that he wasn't a monster…
 
“I've decided.”
 
Akito rose from his position, and came and knelt in front of Yuki. Yuki met his eyes. “I want you to give Kyo another year of freedom. I want you to postpone shutting him away.”
 
Akito paused, looking at Yuki. His expression was completely unreadable. “One more year on the outside,” he said at last, quietly. He rose to his feet and looked out the window. Yuki wondered if Akito knew what the basis for his decision was. At last, Akito nodded. “I will take it into consideration.” He then began to leave the room, and motioned for Yuki to follow. At the door, he lightly touched the scar on Yuki's forehead—the one that had come from the plate. He smirked, and continued walking back to the main room with Yuki in tow.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Kyo was more than relieved to see Yuki all right and unharmed. Yuki smiled at him, and clasped his hand.
 
“Cat, your turn,” Akito said, leading the way. No hand on the shoulder for Kyo. Not that he cared.
 
He knelt on the ground. Akito watched him, making him feel extremely uncomfortable until Kyo just decided to ignore him. He lost himself in his choosing. He had been thinking about it while Yuki was gone, and was vaguely impressed that Yuki had made his decision so quickly. Suddenly he realized what Yuki would want him to ask. He wanted Kyo to ask to be free. Kyo bit his lip. I'm not ready for that yet, damn rat. He sighed. Besides, he'd say no anyway. It's definitely unreasonable. I'm not wasting my wish on something I'm not even sure I want, that's irrevocable.
 
He glanced out the window. I could ask to be with Tohru. But that wouldn't be fair to her, and it wouldn't last long enough. Besides, I'd rather her find someone else who will make her happy, if I can't. I wonder if she likes Yuki. He shook himself back to the present. Wish, I need to make a wish. Heck, I don't want anything. What could I take with me into confinement? I want Yuki to visit me, but he's allowed to do that as it is… I think. That would be asking Akito not to meddle, and I can't ask him to not do something. He sighed again. The silence was getting to him. I want to do something for Yuki. Give him something to have when I'm confined. Something that'll keep him free, that makes him happy. He blinked. The piano! He smiled. “Can it be for someone else?”
 
Akito blinked. He looked confused for a second, then shrugged. “Sure.”
 
“Then I've decided.”
 
“Enlighten me.”
 
“I want you to give Yuki back the piano.”
 
“What do you mean, give Yuki back the piano?”
 
“Let him play on any piano, where he likes, when he likes, and for whoever he wants, and not play when he doesn't want to.”
 
Akito moved closer and grabbed Kyo by the chin. Kyo refused to flinch. “Do you know what you're asking?” he asked.
 
“Yes,” Kyo replied. I'm asking you to let him go.
 
Akito let him go, and rubbed his hand on his kimono. “I will take it into consideration,” he replied. “Get out of my sight, and take your beloved rat with you. Tell the dog he is to stay here until I dismiss him.”
 
“Okay.” Kyo stood, and left the room. He relayed the message to Shigure, and left with Yuki. Neither of them talked about their choices, but Kyo smiled a little at Yuki. He felt slightly guilty for not standing up to Akito about the room, but… it really was an unreasonable request. And he really did want Yuki to have the piano. He wondered vaguely if Yuki had also wished for the piano. He hadn't even thought about that. Oh well. If that was the case, Yuki would be sure to get it. And Kyo wanted to hear it at least one more time before he was confined.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Yuki couldn't help but wonder what Kyo had wished for, though he was fairly sure that Kyo had figured out his wish, or at least the theme of it. He was almost looking forward to going the next day. No, he was looking forward to it. He would be there with Kyo, after all. And it hadn't gone too badly today. Kyo had a bruise under his collar bone, but he said it wasn't all that bad.
 
Tohru had been extremely relieved to see them all well. She was overjoyed that the boys had a possibility of receiving special gifts. It was then that Yuki and Kyo realized their loophole. They weren't allowed to tell each other their wishes, but they could both tell her. But they refrained. It would be far, far too tempting to ask her, and she wouldn't say no. And besides, it was only one more day.
 
Shigure never came home that night. Yuki felt a little worried, and voiced his concern as they ate a late night snack.
 
“I wouldn't worry about it,” Kyo said. “He's probably just staying and chatting with Hatori or your brother.”
 
“Nii-san doesn't live at the Main House. But Shigure might have stopped by his house. I don't know.”
 
“Maybe we should call Ayame-san,” Tohru suggested.
 
There was a very long pause.
 
“Not it,” Kyo said.
 
“Well I'm not doing it,” Yuki said firmly.
 
“Um… that is… I could call him if you'd like.”
 
Both boys froze at the thought. Kyo turned and glared at Yuki. “He's your brother.”
 
“It was your idea.”
 
“What's his number, Yuki-kun?”
 
“We'll call Hatori first,” Yuki said.
 
“I'm not calling him,” Kyo said.
 
“I'll call.” Yuki picked up the phone and dialed. At last, Hatori picked up.
 
“Moshi-moshi.”
 
“Hi, Hatori? Is Shigure still there?”
 
“Yes. He decided to stay the night. I was actually going to call you two… I'm afraid I was distracted. Can you both be here tomorrow at ten o'clock? Akito has requested your presence at eleven, and… I would prefer that you be here early.”
 
“Um… okay. We'll be there.”
 
“Thank you. I will see you then.”
 
“Hatori-nii…”
 
“Yes?”
 
Yuki pushed aside his confusion. “Never mind.”
 
“Very well. Goodnight.”
 
“Goodnight.” Yuki hung up the phone, feeling puzzled.
 
“Well?” Kyo asked.
 
“Shigure decided to stay the night at Hatori's. Hatori seems… worried. He actually forgot to call us. Hatori never forgets.”
 
“Well, he's a busy guy.”
 
“Yeah,” Yuki said. He sighed. “Anyway, we should get some sleep. Hatori wants us there at ten tomorrow.”
 
“Fine with me,” Kyo said.
 
“You should get some sleep too, Honda-san.”
 
“Yes. Goodnight.” She gave them one more radiant smile, then went up to her room, followed by Yuki and Kyo a few minutes later.
 
Yuki lay in bed, thinking. In the bustle over Shigure, he had almost forgotten the reason why they were going to Akito's. Again he felt a surge of hope and stifled it. But his heart apparently had other ideas, and continued to beat rapidly. If it was granted, would Kyo take it well? Would he understand? Yuki was sure he wouldn't be upset.
 
Presently, Yuki got out of bed and looked out the window. He felt shaky. He glanced at his hand and realized that he actually was shaking. Why was that? Anticipation? Worry? Excitement? Just plain tension? He put his hand around his other arm. Suddenly, there was a knock. Yuki jerked. Gosh, he was jumpy. “Come in,” he said quietly, figuring it could only be one of two people. Kyo came in.
 
“Hey. I figured you might be awake. Are you okay? You look kind of pale.”
 
“It's probably the dark.”
 
Kyo rolled his eyes. He went to Yuki's side and rubbed him between the shoulders. Yuki smiled. It was odd. He had never used to like to be touched before he became friends with Kyo. He wondered what had changed. He suddenly hugged Kyo, and was shocked at how warm the cat was. Yuki hadn't even realized he was cold. At last he let go, though Kyo kept a hand on his shoulder.
 
“What's up?” Yuki asked him. “You're usually not up this late. Are you okay?”
 
“Yeah. I just couldn't sleep. I don't know.” Kyo went and sat down on Yuki's bed. Yuki sat near him. “Yuki… I didn't ask him to let me be free.”
 
Yuki sighed a little. “It's okay. I hoped you would, but I got the feeling you weren't ready.”
 
Kyo sighed, sounding slightly relieved. “Hey Yuki… if I do end up getting confined… I've heard that the food there's pretty awful. Would you mind bringing me fish sometimes, if you visit?”
 
When I visit, of course I will. If you're confined.” Yuki's heart thrilled with hope and he pushed it down again. Akito was probably toying with them again. But then again, with Shigure and Hatori… Yuki shivered in anticipation. “Do you think he's serious?” Yuki asked.
 
“I don't know,” Kyo replied. “Maybe. Do you?”
 
“His voice was somehow different. I just can't help wondering why he would do this. We've done nothing but disobey him. It doesn't make any sense. I feel like I should be really worried, but… for some reason I keep wanting to hope.”
 
“Yeah. Me too.”
 
“We should go to sleep,” Yuki said.
 
“Yeah. We should.” Kyo rose. “`night, Yuki.”
 
“Goodnight.”