Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ No Regrets ( Chapter 48 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: So sad… I'm getting to the end. Out of curiosity, would anyone like me to post anything else? I do have other fanfics I could finish and put up if people were interested. Ebony and Ivory just happens to be my favorite (and also the only one that's finished). Write me a review and let me know if you want me to. Arigatou!
 
A/N 2: I had a comment from a reader, and wanted to restate that Yuki and Kyo are not supposed to be gay in this story. Kyo is a bit touchy at times, but he's a cat. Seriously, people. O_o
 
 
CHAPTER 48: No Regrets
 
“Well, Akito-san? Have they proven themselves?” There was a downright smirk on Shigure's face.
 
Akito was absolutely furious. How dare they? How dare that stupid, disgusting monster and that weak, wimpy rodent defeat her? Not that they had defeated her yet, of course, but it seemed so incumbent—even she couldn't stay in denial. Especially since the other Juunishi seemed to be getting swept up in the fray. She had long since lost her rabbit and her ox. Shigure and Hatori had betrayed her. She felt certain that they both knew how Kyo's bracelet had been returned to him, and what was more, she was fairly certain Kureno knew as well. Her Kureno. All of the Juunishi that she thought she would never lose—they were deserting her for the sake of a monster and a rodent.
 
But the one she hated the most was the monster. How dare it take her rat from her? Yuki was hers! He had always been hers! How on earth had he ended up belonging to that monster instead? It was impossible that he actually loved it. That was ridiculous! But for him to look her in her face and say that the cat wasn't a monster… was the boy seriously that deluded? And that monster… to look at her with bold-faced defiance, laying claim to her rat, and to have the rat look at the monster like it was his hero… it was infuriating! Maddening! Disgusting! It… it wasn't right! Things weren't supposed to work out this way.
 
What was more, she had been afraid of this all along. Never in all the history of the Juunishi had the cat and the rat so perfectly complimented each other. They had never been so close in age. But things had been going so well that she had stopped paying attention. Damn it! She had forced them to live in the same house, believing that familiarity would breed contempt. And for the longest time, it did. Especially when that Honda girl appeared on the scene, setting up what Akito hoped would turn into a bitter love triangle. It had blossomed, but never bloomed. There was no longer any tension between the three.
 
She should have known they would become friends if she didn't have them under constant surveillance. Yuki had never hated the monster for being the cat. But he was bitter enough at the cat's rejection that he had always been hostile back. What had changed? What was it that had relaxed the cat's hatred, and given the rat the insane idea to try to be its friend? Had it been that Honda devil? The one who was supposed to drive a wedge between them? She had calmed them, yes, but never to this extent. What was it?
 
“Akito-san?” Shigure said, interrupting her reverie. She ignored him.
 
The monster had Yuki now. She would never be able to rescue him from its clutches. The most maddening thing was that he didn't seem to even want to be rescued. “What does he see in that thing?” she whispered, half to herself.
 
“Freedom. Acceptance. Love.” Shigure paused.
 
“Love?” scoffed Akito. “Like that monster is even capable of love. I'm the only one who could ever love Yuki the way he deserves.”
 
“Perhaps Yuki just wants to be loved by someone normal.”
 
“You're telling me that thing is normal?” yelled Akito.
 
Shigure fell silent. Akito again lapsed into thinking. A rebellion was brewing, according to her dog. Her dog, the one who had betrayed her for the sake of the monster. Why was the entire family turning from her for the sake of that monster? That monster and its so-called friendship with her rat. It went against every fiber of her being. It wasn't meant to be this way. The rat was to be hers, and the cat was to be locked up. All of her Juunishi were to return to her, loving her, and never forgetting her. How had it all gone so horribly wrong? And now in order to retain even a shred of her former hope, she had to give concessions to the one who had caused it all—the monster. She wouldn't have minded giving something to Yuki so much, if it hadn't had something to do with the cat.
 
One comfort she still had—Yuki was still afraid of her. Therefore, she still owned him. It was only a shred of what it once was, but it was something. But the dog was right. If she tried to forcibly remove her rat from the clutches of the monster, he would lose his fear of her. As it was, he might possibly return to her, once the cat was locked up, and he realized that there was no way for him to be happy without her. She could give him this nominal friendship with the cat. Probably the only reason he had found it so exhilarating was that it was forbidden. Once it was allowed, it would become boring. Eventually he would realize his mistake, and go back to finding the cat disgusting. Eventually. Until then, if he wanted to play at being friends with the cat, he could.
 
“They can be friends,” she said at last, almost smirking at the thought.
 
“I'm afraid you put yourself in a very difficult position, there, Akito-san,” Shigure said, “if that is all you're going to do. They will be friends whether you allow them to or not. That situation is already beyond your control. Regardless of what you throw at them, they will still be friends at heart.”
 
“Shut up!” screamed Akito. “What do you know?!” She turned her back on Shigure. He was right. What value would they see in her blessing if it didn't even matter to them? “What would you have me do, then?” she asked.
 
“Give them each a gift.”
 
“What gift?”
 
“Why don't you let them choose?”
 
“Are you suggesting that I give something to the cat? He is not worthy to live, let along receive something from me!”
 
“Akito-san, I won't hide from you most of the Juunishi no longer share your views on the cat. We know Kyo too well. We care about him. We also care about Yuki. We are all upset at the way you've treated those two because of your fear that they might overwhelm you.”
 
“I still control them, Shigure. I have the hold over Kyo that he killed his mother, and over Yuki that he is weak and worthless. Do you think those will go away so quickly?” She was almost smiling.
 
“Do you realize that they have been working on each other for months now, helping each other to see just the opposite?”
 
“It's a conspiracy!” Akito shouted.
 
“It's called a friendship,” Shigure replied calmly.
 
Akito was silent for several minutes, her thoughts a whirl. “Let them choose?” she asked at last, softly. “I suppose I could do that. As long as their choices are reasonable.”
 
“Define reasonable.”
 
Akito was quiet for a minute, then sighed. “I don't know.”
 
“It would have to be something that mollifies some of what you've done to them. They will be much more relaxed if you do this. They may still hate you, and they still will try to break free, but they will not rise up in rebellion, unless you do something again. Bread and circuses, you know? Just a token to hold onto, to think that their lives are improving.”
 
Akito was silent for a long time—long enough that she began to sense that Shigure felt uncomfortable. At last she turned. “Very well. Bring them here tomorrow. Together. And don't tell them what it's for.”
 
Shigure nodded, relieved. “Very well.”
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
“Yuki-nii, what are you doing?” Kyo stood at Yuki's doorway, leaning against the frame, looking bored.
 
“Homework,” Yuki replied firmly, knowing exactly what Kyo wanted. “For history.” He turned back to his book. Kyo came over and sat beside him. He leaned his arms on Yuki's shoulder and looked at the book.
 
“It looks boring. Why don't we spar instead?”
 
Yuki laughed. “Kyo, I need to do this.” He shook his cousin off. “And it's not boring. It's my research paper, and I'm actually doing a pretty good job on it.”
 
Kyo rolled his eyes. “You can work on it later.”
 
“It's due in less than a week.”
 
“It's not as fun as sparring, no matter how much you like history.” Kyo was now lying at the head of Yuki's bed, behind him, since Yuki was sitting in the middle.
 
“You're right,” Yuki said. “But sparring isn't going to get me an A in the class.”
 
“Boring,” Kyo sang. He looked at Yuki. “You're no fun.”
 
“Kyo, I need to do research,” Yuki said, stifling amusement.
 
Kyo sat up, encouraged. He leaned his chin on Yuki's shoulder. “Come on,” he coaxed. “I'll be your best friend.”
 
“You already are, moron,” Yuki replied, pushing Kyo's head away. “Look, the sooner you stop distracting me, the sooner I can finish this book, and the sooner I can spend time with you. Okay?”
 
Kyo rolled his eyes, and gave a long-suffering sigh. “Very well,” he said dramatically. “I will give you up to your books and papers, since they're so much more important than me.”
 
“Keep it up,” Yuki muttered, rolling his eyes, while still looking down at his books. Kyo grinned and began to leave the room, only to literally bump into Shigure, who had been standing at the door.
 
“My dear kitten!” Shigure cried, closing his arms around Kyo.
 
Kyo bristled. “Let go of me right this second you psychotic, perverted dog.”
 
“So cold,” Shigure sighed, releasing him. “Akito asked me to bring you two to see him this afternoon, in a few hours.”
 
Kyo turned to see Yuki's smile fade and the color drain from his face. “Why?”
 
“You'll have to ask him when we get there. Be ready by three o'clock, ne?” He walked out. Yuki sat very still.
 
Kyo gave a short sigh. “You let Akito distract you from your research paper,” he said, trying to make a joke. Probably not a good time, he thought belatedly.
 
“Kyo…” Kyo looked closely at Yuki. His eyes were closed. “Kyo…”
 
Kyo pulled Yuki to his feet and into sudden hug. “We'll be together. It's all right. I won't let him hurt you again.”
 
Yuki slumped, not responding. “Kyo, I can take care of myself. I'm worried about you.”
 
“Don't worry about me. I'm fine. It's all right.”
 
Yuki finally put his arms around Kyo, and clutched the back of his shirt. He buried his head against Kyo's shoulder for just a moment, then took a deep breath and sighed. “We'll be together.”
 
“Right.” Kyo managed a smile.
 
Yuki nodded, and let go. “Okay,” he whispered at last.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Yuki's nervousness seemed to come back full force as they walked to Akito's, at least twenty yards behinds Shigure. Kyo looked worriedly at him. Yuki sighed. Kyo knew that under normal circumstances, Yuki would have turned to him and given him a slight smile that meant he was okay. Yuki wasn't even pretending not to be nervous, which made Kyo very nervous.
 
“Yuki?”
 
Yuki didn't reply.
 
“Yuki, are you all right? We'll face him together, remember? We're a team.”
 
The rat still didn't respond. Just looked away a little more. Kyo draped an arm around him. Yuki tensed for a moment, but then relaxed. However, there was a sort of resigned look on his face, like he was expecting to be put through hell and accepting that he couldn't do anything about it.
 
“Yuki, we'll do this together. And I'm not going to let him hurt you.” Yeah, that's what you said last time, stupid cat. Kyo scowled at his inner voice. I'll do better this time. You watch. He stopped his internal tirade, realizing that he was trying to prove himself to himself. “I won't lose it this time. I promise. It'll be okay.”
 
“Kyo…” Yuki paused. Then he continued, still looking down. “Do you really think we can… go against him… if he tries…? I mean… in Akito's eyes, I've committed the worst sin imaginable by becoming your friend. I didn't even realize it until recently, but… he was right. It really does completely throw everything off. It messes up the way things are `supposed' to be, according to Akito, and… and the thing is, Akito will do everything in his power to `put it right', and…”
 
“Yuki,” Kyo said firmly, stopping and touching Yuki's chin so the damn rat would have to stop looking away. “I want to be your friend. I don't care if I get hurt. I like you, and I want to be your friend.” He paused. “What about you? Did you regret that we had become friends during that month?”
 
Yuki looked thoughtful for a moment, then shook his head very firmly.
 
“Do you still want to be friends?”
 
“Yes… I just…”
 
“Don't feel guilty then. This is seriously what I want. I'm not just doing it for you.”
 
Yuki closed his eyes, sighed, and nodded. “Okay.” At last looked up at Kyo. “Kyo-nii, no matter what happens… no matter what Akito does during this meeting or ever… I will never, ever regret being your friend.” He paused. “And I do… want us to stay friends, even if we have to act like we aren't.”
 
Kyo gave a sigh of relief, and put a hand on Yuki's shoulder. “Of course we're friends.” He grinned. “More than friends. We're bro—”
 
“More than friends? Can this be true?!” Shigure cried. Both boys jumped. He had apparently come back to where they were standing, and was now only a few yards away. “Ah, how beautiful! The winter of hatred has come to the springtime of friendship, and has blossomed into—” He stopped talking, because he now had both boys on either side, each holding onto one of his shoulders, glaring at him with what looked like bloodlust. “Into…”
 
“Into what, Shigure?” Yuki asked, sarcastically sweet.
 
“Heh… that is… brotherly love. Of course… that's what I meant to say.” Shigure laughed nervously, as the teenagers let go of him. “I just wanted to tell you, we won't get any closer to the main house if you stand there cooing over each other. And you know, you're actually not supposed to attack amateurs,” Shigure said, as they walked on ahead. “Just ask Kazuma-dono.”
 
“Something tells me Shishou would make an exception for you,” Kyo snarled.
 
“Temper, temper. Really, you two are so jumpy. You don't even know why you've been called.”
 
“It can't be something good,” Yuki said, as he and Kyo reluctantly allowed Shigure to catch up. “It never is. And right now he's furious at both of us. Especially me.”
 
“Why you?” Kyo asked. “I'm the one who got all in his face.”
 
“Yes, but you're the cat. He's mad at you for `taking' me, but he doesn't really feel anything toward you by yourself. But he's always considered me his, and for me to defy him even to the small extent that I did… it was like I was telling him I didn't belong to him anymore. I was breaking a bond that had existed for centuries.” Yuki paused, and shivered. “At any rate,” he said at last, “I honestly think it doesn't matter. He's mad at both of us. I think he's been setting us up against each other our whole lives. This was the one thing he never wanted to happen.”
 
“I wonder if he's afraid.”
 
Yuki remembered the brief flash of fear in Akito's eyes when Kyo had pulled him off of Tohru. So brief that it had barely been noticeable. “I wonder why,” he said softly.
 
“Isn't it obvious?” Kyo asked, grinning. “We make a good team.”
 
They arrived at the gates of the Main House. Kyo considered again asking Shigure why they were here. But he figured that even if Shigure did know, there was no way he'd give any kind of straight answer. He sighed a little, and put an arm around Yuki's shoulders. “No matter what happens,” he said firmly. “We're friends.”
 
“Right,” Yuki replied. They clasped hands tightly, and entered through the gate.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
A/N 3: Anyone ever had a cat climb into their lap and sit on their book when they're trying to read? That's essentially what Kyo was doing earlier in this chapter. (In other words, he wasn't hitting on Yuki.)